Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Dwight Freeney "not expected" back in Indy.

Dark Superman

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hughes couldn't carry Freeney's shorts man. Freeney has every pass rush move in the book. I have yet to see Hughes do anything other than a speed move and bull rush. Yes, Freeney doesn't play the run. he doesnt defend the pass. But as a pure pass rusher Freeney is WAY more talented than Hughes in my opinion. Freeney has over 100 career sacks. Hughes is just a different player than Freeney. Freeney is a true speed rush DE in a 4-3. Hughes up to this point in his career hasn't had the number of snaps that Freeney has nor should he. My opinion is still that he is an average player to this point. Hope he proves me wrong.

Freeney, in my opinion, when he came into the league he had the fastest burst off the ball that I had ever seen anyone in football have. Probably the best spin move of any pass rusher in history.

you contradicted yourself by saying Hughes had not had the number of snaps Freeney has had and that he shouldn't and you also said he has not had the production that Freeney has had. Dont you think that Hughes lack of starts and consistent playing time has hurt his chances of producing?(not that he would produce Freeney like numbers but I think its possible, he nees to improve his playing strength id develop a spin move) think about it, the guy actually gets a few starts last year and came away with 4 sacks while only starting and playing every snap in 4 games also what if his assignment was not always to rush the passer, Hughes is not a strictly rush the passer guy, he can actually drop back in a short zone and cover to a degree, my opinion he is more suited for the Mathis role

you contradicted yourself by saying Hughes had not had the number of snaps Freeney has had and that he shouldn't and you also said he has not had the production that Freeney has had. Dont you think that Hughes lack of starts and consistent playing time has hurt his chances of producing?(not that he would produce Freeney like numbers but I think its possible, he nees to improve his playing strength id develop a spin move) think about it, the guy actually gets a few starts last year and came away with 4 sacks while only starting and playing every snap in 4 games also what if his assignment was not always to rush the passer, Hughes is not a strictly rush the passer guy, he can actually drop back in a short zone and cover to a degree, my opinion he is more suited for the Mathis role

The issue is at what point will he(hughes) actually ever play the Mathis role? He certainly won't be doing that while Mathis is around, and Mathis won't be moving into Freeneys' role I think because it seems to require a player with some bulk. Freeney is 23 pounds heavier than Mathis. For the Ravens they have a guy like Suggs there instead of having Kruger in that spot. I don't think the 2 spots are interchangeable like they were in the Cover 2. I'm doubtful of when he will get his chance in that role.

I agree. I think Mathis and Hughes should switch roles. As Krunk says I think more bulk is better in that role but Mathis has never had an issue being undersized.

The issue is at what point will he(hughes) actually ever play the Mathis role? He certainly won't be doing that while Mathis is around, and Mathis won't be moving into Freeneys' role I think because it seems to require a player with some bulk. Freeney is 23 pounds heavier than Mathis. For the Ravens they have a guy like Suggs there instead of having Kruger in that spot. I don't think the 2 spots are interchangeable like they were in the Cover 2. I'm doubtful of when he will get his chance in that role.

Personally I'd love to see us take a run at Kruger. We have the cap money. It would be great to have Kruger, Mathis and Hughes playing those 2 spots. I just think Kruger is coming into his own and COULD be a real asset for us.

Perhaps but I like what I saw from Hughes last year when he got extended playing time as a starter in the Mathis role, Im expecting continued improvement and hopefully more playing time for him

Perhaps but I like what I saw from Hughes last year when he got extended playing time as a starter in the Mathis role, Im expecting continued improvement and hopefully more playing time for him

For the record, I think Hughes is better suited for Mathis role as well. I'm unsure if it's a matter of bulk or if it's a matter of how much skill the player has at being in coverage that determines which OLB role they choose you for. Many people here are suggesting for us to get Paul Kruger but he is currently playing the Mathis role. I wonder how his effectiveness would be changed if you put him in Freeneys' role? That's the role Kruger would have to play if he came to Indy.

Lately I've been intrigued with the idea of Barkevious Mingo and Mathis playing together. Oh well, we'll see!

There's so many people and scenarios that every time you think you've narrowed something down, there's an influx

of new ideas and personnel.

For the record, I think Hughes is better suited for Mathis role as well. I'm unsure if it's a matter of bulk or if it's a matter of how much skill the player has at being in coverage that determines which OLB role they choose you for. Many people here are suggesting for us to get Paul Kruger but he is currently playing the Mathis role. I wonder how his effectiveness would be changed if you put him in Freeneys' role? That's the role Kruger would have to play if he came to Indy.

Lately I've been intrigued with the idea of Barkevious Mingo and Mathis playing together. Oh well, we'll see!

There's so many people and scenarios that every time you think you've narrowed something down, there's an influx

of new ideas and personnel.

Not sure but he did have 9 sacks last year and he only had 6 starts(Kruger), some of these guys that produce such as Kruger and Hughes have at different levels are not in for every snap, he had 6 starts last year which seems to tell me he was a rotational player as well because he did play all 16 games, Also suggs is listed as 6'3" 260, Kruger is listed as 6'4" 270lbs, Mathis is listed 6'2" 245 and Freeney is 6'1" 268 I believe, its possible Pagano prefers them to both be big olb's remember he inherited Freeney and Mathis neither were hand picked by Pagano and given both of there pass rush abilities he was not going to turn that down, just my thoughts

My 2 cents on this is Freeney will not be back. 

Hughes is not the answer as he semed to give up the edge way too much vs the run. I think he's a nice back-up type player. Now if he continues to improve , naybe I'l be proved wrong.

Of course anyone could say Freeney isn't expected back, but that doesn't necessarily mean he isn't. I don't want to see Freeney play for someone else.

I don't like watching any Colt playing for someone else. I don't enjoy having to watch Peyton a Bronco. Harbaugh a Raven. Peterson a Jaguar. Bob a Charger. Edge a Cardinal/Seahawk. Faulk a Ram. Dilger a Buccaneer. Dom a Raider. And the countless others. I was glad when the rumors of Marv going to the Eagles didn't come true.

IMO Freeney is better than Hughes, and I hope they aren't content with Hughes. He has gotten limited chances over the past three years, but when he has that chance he does nothing. This year he did play better, but he still wasn't better than Dwight. We had absolutely ZERO pass rush when Freeney was down early in the season.

Not sure but he did have 9 sacks last year and he only had 6 starts(Kruger), some of these guys that produce such as Kruger and Hughes have at different levels are not in for every snap, he had 6 starts last year which seems to tell me he was a rotational player as well because he did play all 16 games, Also suggs is listed as 6'3" 260, Kruger is listed as 6'4" 270lbs, Mathis is listed 6'2" 245 and Freeney is 6'1" 268 I believe, its possible Pagano prefers them to both be big olb's remember he inherited Freeney and Mathis neither were hand picked by Pagano and given both of there pass rush abilities he was not going to turn that down, just my thoughts

The one thing I have noticed about players in this hybrid scheme that play the Suggs/Freeney/Coples role is that none of them arevery adept at covering people. If you have some ability for coverage, then it seems you are put in the Mathis/Kruger role. I think that's probably more of what they base it on. Kruger is big enough to play both roles honestly, Hughes seems better fit for the actual linebacker side of things more than being a majority pass rusher. For some reason, all the time he has spent with Mathis and Freeney he still has not developed his pass rush to the level where I think it should be. The level that would allow him to be a majority pass rusher. He was effective at that role(being a majority pass rusher) in college, but the pro transition has not been as smooth for him.

We had absolutely ZERO pass rush when Freeney was down early in the season.

We had zero pass rush with or without Freeney. Go back and watch video from this season. He was either injured, didn't care, or took a lot of plays off. Given his body language, it's hard to tell which it was. 

The one thing I have noticed about players in this hybrid scheme that play the Suggs/Freeney/Coples role is that none of them arevery adept at covering people. If you have some ability for coverage, then it seems you are put in the Mathis/Kruger role. I think that's probably more of what they base it on. Kruger is big enough to play both roles honestly, Hughes seems better fit for the actual linebacker side of things more than being a majority pass rusher. For some reason, all the time he has spent with Mathis and Freeney he still has not developed his pass rush to the level where I think it should be. The level that would allow him to be a majority pass rusher. He was effective at that role(being a majority pass rusher) in college, but the pro transition has not been as smooth for him.

For some reason, all the time he has spent with Mathis and Freeney he still has not developed his pass rush to the level where I think it should be. 

I'd love to know what that is, the question about him coming in was his strength but I dont see much in terms of a spin move

For some reason, all the time he has spent with Mathis and Freeney he still has not developed his pass rush to the level where I think it should be. 

I'd love to know what that is, the question about him coming in was his strength but I dont see much in terms of a spin move

Gil Brandt talked about Hughes lacking agility and lacking the ability to "get low" as he rounded the o lineman.  

I think Mathis would be perfect for the rush spot, the Suggs/Freeney role. Which frees up the strong spot for Hughes and/or Kruger, where they're better.

But all of that is kind of missing the point of the Pagano system. The fronts allow you to use your outside backers in a dozen different ways, from virtually anywhere on the field. It's designed to keep the offense guessing, but when Freeney is at rush OLB, there's a 90% chance he's coming. If you had Mathis and Kruger or Hughes, there's a little more guesswork. Pagano's defense gives you the freedom to change your defense without changing personnel. And you can manufacture a pass rush without having superstar pass rushers.