Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Dwight Freeney "not expected" back in Indy.

Dark Superman

Per Rotoworld.

Impending free agent DE/OLB Dwight Freeney is not expected to re-sign with the Colts.

Freeney proved to be an extremely poor fit in Chuck Pagano's 3-4 scheme, compiling just five sacks and 24 tackles in 14 games. 2010 first-round pick Jerry Hughes will have a chance to run with the position full time next season. After 11 years with the Colts, Freeney is wearing down but still can help a team out of the 4-3 end spot as a situational rusher.

Thoughts?

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He's a situational guy at this point, he's going to have to admit that to himself.  He still plays at a high level in the 4-3, and we're in that set at least as much as the 3-4.

Someone will probably pay him more than a situational player is worth, but if he and the Colts can agree to a salary compensatory to his current talents, I'd love to see him finish his career in Indy.

He's a situational guy at this point, he's going to have to admit that to himself.  He still plays at a high level in the 4-3, and we're in that set at least as much as the 3-4.

Someone will probably pay him more than a situational player is worth, but if he and the Colts can agree to a salary compensatory to his current talents, I'd love to see him finish his career in Indy.

It's still different, though. He still has run responsibilities first in our system, even when he's at end. And teams throw a lot more on first down now than they did before, which affects his pass rush. Unless it's third and long, then it's like the old days.

If he went to the Giants or the Eagles or another team that really stresses that wide 9 pass rush (or the Titans! oh god...) and has other playmakers on the defensive line, he'd go back to being an every down threat. I expect him to go to a four down defense and play end exclusively again.

It's still different, though. He still has run responsibilities first in our system, even when he's at end. And teams throw a lot more on first down now than they did before, which affects his pass rush. Unless it's third and long, then it's like the old days.

If he went to the Giants or the Eagles or another team that really stresses that wide 9 pass rush (or the Titans! oh god...) and has other playmakers on the defensive line, he'd go back to being an every down threat. I expect him to go to a four down defense and play end exclusively again.

I agree, I don't claim to be an expert in the 4-3 or 3-4, but I think some people are still having trouble grasping what we are doing when we are lined up in what looks like a 4-3 but in reality it is still the 3-4. Freeney is still the OLBer and still has run defense and coverage responsibilities. He is not a pure pass rusher like he would be in a 4-3.

"Not Expected" that means it isn't "Confirmed" yet. It was "Not Expected" that we would Win 11 Games this year, but look what happened.

Now I'm not saying he will be back or he won't be back. I'm saying let's see what Grigson & Irsay do. Not what people Write out. Actions speak louder than Words people

Freeney has ALWAYS been a situational pass rusher, a GREAT one but nothing more, he was always useless against the run, with that said lets wait to see if it becomes official before we start sending him off with a barrage of goodbyes just yet, The writing is on the board but its not in permanent marker just yet but like most others I think its just a matter of time before the ink is dry

"Not Expected" that means it isn't "Confirmed" yet. It was "Not Expected" that we would Win 11 Games this year, but look what happened.

Now I'm not saying he will be back or he won't be back. I'm saying let's see what Grigson & Irsay do. Not what people Write out. Actions speak louder than Words people

Yeah but not expected when it comes to free agents isn't even close to the samething as predicting a team's record. 

Other than Freeney being a big name and people not wanting to see him go what logic is there for us to keep him.  He's older, didn't fit the 3/4 defense that they are trying to run very well and is likely going to want more money than the Colts are going to be willing to pay. 

It's not official yet but the writing is on the wall. 

I would hate to see him go, but I think that's what will happen.  I'd much rather we trade him than lose him to FA, but that isn't likely to happen now that his contract is up

That came and went the minute training camps started up a LONG time ago (not literally when training camp started) but thats when it was made clear to me they were going to waste the money to try what obviously was not going to work and did not work, I said trade Freeney for a 5th round pick to the Jags from the start, the temptation was just to much for Grigson they were going to keep him

I would hate to see him go, but I think that's what will happen.  I'd much rather we trade him than lose him to FA, but that isn't likely to happen now that his contract is up

Impossible to happen is much , much more accurate than "isn't likely to happen." About the only way players are traded after their contracts expire is the team owning his right places the franchise tag on him and then works a deal out with a team that wants to give that player a new deal. But that player has to be worth the franchise number to even think about going that route.

Yeah but not expected when it comes to free agents isn't even close to the samething as predicting a team's record.

Other than Freeney being a big name and people not wanting to see him go what logic is there for us to keep him. He's older, didn't fit the 3/4 defense that they are trying to run very well and is likely going to want more money than the Colts are going to be willing to pay.

It's not official yet but the writing is on the wall.

See everyone says he didn't fit. It was his 1st year in the System. And while his stats aren't exactly mind boggling, Freeney made some plays that don't make it on the Stat sheet. Like QB Hurries, or when he made RB's slow up or change direction. Now if Freeney is asking for a lot of Money, then yeah I say we ship him out. But if he'll do it for the love of this Team like Reggie did, then I say bring him back & let him retire a Colt

See everyone says he didn't fit. It was his 1st year in the System. And while his stats aren't exactly mind boggling, Freeney made some plays that don't make it on the Stat sheet. Like QB Hurries, or when he made RB's slow up or change direction. Now if Freeney is asking for a lot of Money, then yeah I say we ship him out. But if he'll do it for the love of this Team like Reggie did, then I say bring him back & let him retire a Colt

He was good at rushing the QB although not as good as he was in the 4-3.  It was clear he was not comfortable in the 3-4 which is why they had him lining up in 4-3 end spot much of the season.  That just doesn't make sense in a 3-4 defense.  Also even pass rushers in a 3-4 defense need to be able to drop into coverage and play the run some.  Freeney looks completely lost when he tries to do it. 

Also I really doubt Freeney is one of those guys who will end up taking less to stay here.  I forget what radio show it was this year but Phil B. was on one of them after talking to Freeney and said he brought up the idea of Freeney taking a home town discount like Wayne did and Freeney just laughed at him. 

I think Freeney understands he isn't suited for a 3-4 defense and I think the Colts know that and I expect them to part on good terms and I fully expect Freeney to be back to be put into the Ring of Honor one day. 

That came and went the minute training camps started up a LONG time ago (not literally when training camp started) but thats when it was made clear to me they were going to waste the money to try what obviously was not going to work and did not work, I said trade Freeney for a 5th round pick to the Jags from the start, the temptation was just to much for Grigson they were going to keep him

It takes 2 to trade though.  A team would have to be willing to take Freeney's big cap hit.  It's possible they discussed trade scenarios with other teams, but wouldn't find a partner

Trade Freeney and his $14M Salary before the season. lmao! That was funny!

Trade Freeney now while he is a FA. hardy har!

Probably everyone of you believed he had 24 tackles last season. Hahahaha! That would have been near a CAREER year for him!

He had 12 tackles and that INCLUDED his 5 sacks. Chant: bring him back ...

He Didn`t have very many hurries or hits either.

Silly to think Grigson looks at Hughes as a double digit sacker. But he does play with a good motor and is a solid rotational OLB.

I could see Dwight in Atlanta. They desperately need a pass rusher outside of Abraham and they play on a fast turf in a dome. I'm not comfortable with Hughes being the full-time starter. Give me Spencer or Kruger.
Agreed. I think Atlanta would be a good fit. Good luck Dwight, wherever you go