Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

To Those Who Want A New Coach:

doogansquest

What is the point in arguing if Caldwell is a good coach or not? Some people here say he's a good coach and point to certain things that fit their agenda, and others point to the opposite points that fit their agenda. Nobody here knows anymore than the next person about how good or bad of a coach he is. The players aren't going to come out and say he sucks even if they think he does. To point out his win percentage is nonsense IMO and to point out his bad timeout calls is nonsense IMO. All I know is that he and his staff had a horrible gameplan last sunday, but he could get it right this sunday. Im not a huge fan of Caldwell, but I also am not ready to throw him under the bus just yet. This will be the yr. I make up my mind about him(not that it matters) but I do know im ready to see Coyer hit the road and take his ignorant scheme with him.

AMEN BROTHER!!! He had one good year in Denver and when offenses figured him out he didn't change and got canned. I thought bringing him here to replace Meeks was foolish to begin with. It is time for him to go - actually way past time.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can Coyer

Can Caldwell

Promote Polian to Head Coach.

Manning for Defensive Coordinator until he returns as QB. He can do it after he comes back, too. He's not doing anything when the offense is on the sideling anyway. He looks at more film that all the reat of the coaches combined, and he's not up in the booth like Coyer is and Fangio was. Pay him a zillion dollars and it won't count agains the Salary Cap.

Dooganquest for Offensive Coordinator. Manning will be his OC supervisoor anyway.

There, that takes care of Head Coach, Defensive Coordinator, Offensive Coordinator. Salary Cap.

BIG for President, Vice Chairman, Director of Player Personnel, Chaplain, and Treasurer.

This TOP MANAGEMENT JOB is sooooo easy, ho hum.....

What do you guys think of Bo Pelini, head coach of Nebraska, to be given a shot as our defensive co-ordinator for our 4-3 D? He has coached defense at LSU and Nebraska and I like his coaching schemes, so I thought I'd ask about him from those who have seen him coach more.

Can Coyer

Can Caldwell

Promote Polian to Head Coach.

Manning for Defensive Coordinator until he returns as QB. He can do it after he comes back, too. He's not doing anything when the offense is on the sideling anyway. He looks at more film that all the reat of the coaches combined, and he's not up in the booth like Coyer is and Fangio was. Pay him a zillion dollars and it won't count agains the Salary Cap.

Dooganquest for Offensive Coordinator. Manning will be his OC supervisoor anyway.

There, that takes care of Head Coach, Defensive Coordinator, Offensive Coordinator. Salary Cap.

BIG for President, Vice Chairman, Director of Player Personnel, Chaplain, and Treasurer.

This TOP MANAGEMENT JOB is sooooo easy, ho hum.....

Breaking news:::

Dooganquest to revive Chris Farley's role on SNL as Matt Foley. but dooganquest actually does live in a van down by the river....

TO the OP --- I agree, Caldwell is a good coach, whose few bad calls foreshadow everything he does. He also has the best winning percentage as a coach in the NFL. One bad call and it's "Oh get rid of him, he sucks." It's sorta the same situation with Donald Brown, one bad run and everyone is against. Look at the facts, before criticizing a good coach.

Um, no, its not sorta the same thing. Not at all.

Have you seen Brown run or block in the last couple years?

Im pretty sure his overall lack of anything positive and being relegated to 3rd string by the staff is the reason everyone is down on Brown...he has shown he cant hack it.

The difference between them is, Brown better prove this season he can do some special things, or he will be gone.

Caldwell could probably go 3-13 and still have a job because the FO will just blame it on Manning being out, which would partially be true of course, but its still a cop-out.

If there's too many embarrassing games like in week 1 and the season is all but tanked, I think Tressel will be a HC this year.

We can't have a HC thats only good with Manning.

He can't be any worse then Caldwell, and maybe he will inject some energy and more strategy into the HC position.

I am fine with Caldwell too...that's why I posted his stats next to the three other coaches because I think fans need to be reminded at times that these "better" coaches numbers don't say they are better.

I'll go out on a limb here and say that if coach A,B or C had Manning at QB they would have more impressive stats. Play the stats anyway you want it. Add Manning to any team and it wins at least 5 more games a year.....FACT....... Now give me a coach that lights a fire under the defense and special teams.....And Manning. I like my chances better then when I have a coach that looks unmotivated and makes bad decisions at bad times.

Esmort says: "If there's too many embarrassing games like in week 1 and the season is all but tanked, I think Tressel will be a HC this year.

We can't have a HC thats only good with Manning"

Now what I want to know is: What is the connection? The NFL is a good-ole-boy system. Tressel can't do anything until after the bye week. It's always POSSIBLE Manning will be back after bye week. Why do we need Tressel?

WHY TRESSEL?.....What's he doin' here?.....anyone? anyone?....

I'll go out on a limb here and say that if coach A,B or C had Manning at QB they would have more impressive stats. Play the stats anyway you want it. Add Manning to any team and it wins at least 5 more games a year.....FACT....... Now give me a coach that lights a fire under the defense and special teams.....And Manning. I like my chances better then when I have a coach that looks unmotivated and makes bad decisions at bad times.

Exactly.

Caldwell's "stats" and i use that term very loosely is more of a product of the team that he has or even more so the quarterback that he has opposed to a direct reflection of his coaching ability.

Go stick your head in the sand. It is embarrassing, seriously.

It has taken Caldwell 3 years to get the personnel around him that he wants, and his franchise player went down. He had a team with the largest IR list in history last year and still managed to get the defense to shore up its holes for 4 games and put us in the playoffs. The same players he had before, working in the same scheme, put it together against the best rushing teams in the NFL and held onto those games for us. Caldwell was a part of that, whether you like it or not. He's done more to coach us to wins while our offense was missing pieces everywhere than his questionable timeouts ever did to lose us games (no, he didn't lose us the Jets game).

While some of you have that cute ability to point out his fewer than a handful of mistakes, most of you just don't like him on principle. You expected a big name, spitting, screaming, loser of a coach who seemed like the sexy pick. You got a relative unknown, position coach getting his shot at the big time. Who cares what his record was at Wake Forest? This isn't Wake Forest, this isn't college football. Bill Belichick had a terrible record with the Cleveland Browns. I guess the Patriots should have dumped him when they had the chance.

Do you really want to bring in a new head coach now? Really? You want to spend 3 more years adjusting the schemes and personnel, all the while watching Manning, Freeney, etc., age without getting another championship as everything shifts to transition mode again? Because that's what will happen. That's what happens everywhere, except in EXTREMELY rare situations. We'd be watching a mess on Sundays while the new coach brings in his guys and changes everything all over again.

"The new coach would just let Peyton do his thing..." Great, so what does he do with our defensive personnel? Build a 3-4? Yeah, that happens overnight. Have them learn an entirely new system and philosophy? If the coach is going to let things run as they are until Peyton's done, else he wins no more championships or even gets a shot at one before retiring, then what difference does it make if it's a big name doing nothing, or Caldwell doing nothing? A screamer or a blinker?

Did we look bad week one? Sure, but so did a lot of other "good" teams. At least we didn't get beat 35-7 with all of our best players on the field. At least we didn't possess one of the deepest, and most balanced rosters in football only to get annihilated 41-7 in our home opener. We could have been responsible for letting a rookie, non-QB throw for over 400 yards against us.

The lockout has had ill effects on everyone; for some, it's worse than others. We're also down the best player to see a football field.

I will close with a dose of harsh medicine that some of us - myself included - need to hear, but will never concede to:

Most of you know nothing about coaching. You have no ability to observe, grade, or recognize it if it were blinking at you all day.

Stop pretending you know better. You don't. Al Davis knows more about running a team than you do.

Stop acting like Irsay and the Polians are just incompetent, stubborn buffoons who are letting it happen out of spite, or pride, or whatever nonsense you've come up with. We've been one of the best and most consistently exceptional organizations for more than 10 years now, and it's not JUST because of Peyton Manning.

This isn't homerism, or a glass-half-full rhetoric. Opinions, emotions, thoughts... wonderful, though sometimes self-betraying traits. That's what the forums are for, right? Some of you just need to stop talking like you know how to fix things. Don't make it sound like you're smart, and they are dumb. If it's an opinion, state it as such. The rest is garbage.

dude caldwell is not a head coach period u r missing the pic here.he has made terrible calls since hes been here.all he dos is stand on the side line with a blank stare because he is not a game planner .he dosnt no how to adjust as the game gos on .his game planning since hes been here is the worst ive ever seen.larry coyer r so called defence coord. needs to be fired as well .how do u keep playin 7 2 10 yrds off recivers and not expect them to catch the ball i could have completed 100 pct of passes against r defence the league has caught up with the colts my friend and its only going to get worst unlee they change.dungy built a decent defence at best but inconsistence every year .time to get bigger corners and line men.to compete with the good teams .payton would b cazy to play this year if he had a chance.because the results will still b the same.caldwell is tearing this team apart for his lack of coaching .3 former coaches sittin n tv booth who r super bowel winners who would love to take over this team.and it wouldnt hurt a bit because they r smart enough to fill n what they need to keep this team winning.and they wouldnt lose a thing.except get there pride and winnig spirits back to where they belong.and its not just caldwell it starts in the front office.he will b fired at the end of this season i promise u that along with r so called defence coord. coyer.changes r n the makeings.goooooooo coltsssssssssssss

dude caldwell is not a head coach period u r missing the pic here.he has made terrible calls since hes been here.all he dos is stand on the side line with a blank stare because he is not a game planner .he dosnt no how to adjust as the game gos on .his game planning since hes been here is the worst ive ever seen.larry coyer r so called defence coord. needs to be fired as well .how do u keep playin 7 2 10 yrds off recivers and not expect them to catch the ball i could have completed 100 pct of passes against r defence the league has caught up with the colts my friend and its only going to get worst unlee they change.dungy built a decent defence at best but inconsistence every year .time to get bigger corners and line men.to compete with the good teams .payton would b cazy to play this year if he had a chance.because the results will still b the same.caldwell is tearing this team apart for his lack of coaching .3 former coaches sittin n tv booth who r super bowel winners who would love to take over this team.and it wouldnt hurt a bit because they r smart enough to fill n what they need to keep this team winning.and they wouldnt lose a thing.except get there pride and winnig spirits back to where they belong.and its not just caldwell it starts in the front office.he will b fired at the end of this season i promise u that along with r so called defence coord. coyer.changes r n the makeings.goooooooo coltsssssssssssss in reference 2 al davis who r the raiders. oh and new england would put up 50 + against r defence.so really think about wat ur saying.ive been a baltimore colt fan since 1966 so i no alot about this team .and a bad tren is on the herizon.

dude caldwell is not a head coach period u r missing the pic here.he has made terrible calls since hes been here.all he dos is stand on the side line with a blank stare because he is not a game planner .he dosnt no how to adjust as the game gos on .his game planning since hes been here is the worst ive ever seen.larry coyer r so called defence coord. needs to be fired as well .how do u keep playin 7 2 10 yrds off recivers and not expect them to catch the ball i could have completed 100 pct of passes against r defence the league has caught up with the colts my friend and its only going to get worst unlee they change.dungy built a decent defence at best but inconsistence every year .time to get bigger corners and line men.to compete with the good teams .payton would b cazy to play this year if he had a chance.because the results will still b the same.caldwell is tearing this team apart for his lack of coaching .3 former coaches sittin n tv booth who r super bowel winners who would love to take over this team.and it wouldnt hurt a bit because they r smart enough to fill n what they need to keep this team winning.and they wouldnt lose a thing.except get there pride and winnig spirits back to where they belong.and its not just caldwell it starts in the front office.he will b fired at the end of this season i promise u that along with r so called defence coord. coyer.changes r n the makeings.goooooooo coltsssssssssssss

Really? How many games last year were we down going into halftime did we come back and win? Oh but of course that was all due to Manning and Manning ALONE right? No way any of the coaches could have had anything at all to do with it.

shouldnt have to be playin from behind most of the time.and yea payton manning is the coach on this team without him caldwell couldnt coach a pee wee team.r defnece is 2 small and r offence is to predictable. changes in the makin.

r defnece is allreddy biggur thn thay uz2b undur Dungy. Comparrr Nevis, Mookie Johnson n Moala 2 Brock and Reagor. Luk at Angerer, Kavell Conner, wheeler n Moten cumpared 2 Freddy Keiaho, Gilbert Gardner, Cato June n oters. Changes allreddy bin happnin.

Really? How many games last year were we down going into halftime did we come back and win? Oh but of course that was all due to Manning and Manning ALONE right? No way any of the coaches could have had anything at all to do with it.

That's 100% true, even though it was meant to be sarcastic. Manning is the comeback kid, plain and simple, and it's not because of any "wisdom" that he gained from Jim Caldwell, even though it should be, since Caldwell was the QB coach.

Of all the games we've watched Caldwell at the helm, have you ever heard the announcer say "That was a brilliant call by Jim Caldwell and the Colts coaching staff"? But how many times have you heard them say that about Manning? Roughly 227 times, at least?

gee, I guess you are right. He did an excellent job coaching last sunday, and an even better job getting them ready for week one. What a wonderful game to just sit back and enjoy all the great coaching going on.

They were ready to play, second play of the game was an INT for the Colts. 1st offensive play a 5 yard catch for Wayne, followed 13 yards by Addai in two carries. Then the sack kind of derailed the drive. Next drive, Colts gave up some yards but held them to a FG. They came out ready to play with a descent game plan. But it's not Caldwell's fault that Reitz got pushed back and Collins fumbled. It's not Caldwell's fault that on the next series Collins fumbled the snap. It's not Caldwell's fault that Brackett tipped a pass and Johnson was still able to come down with it at the back of the endzone.

That's 100% true, even though it was meant to be sarcastic. Manning is the comeback kid, plain and simple, and it's not because of any "wisdom" that he gained from Jim Caldwell, even though it should be, since Caldwell was the QB coach.

Of all the games we've watched Caldwell at the helm, have you ever heard the announcer say "That was a brilliant call by Jim Caldwell and the Colts coaching staff"? But how many times have you heard them say that about Manning? Roughly 227 times, at least?

:slaphead:

How could you possibly even pretend to know that? Unless you've been closely involved with Caldwell and Manning's relationship over the years...unless you're in the locker room at halftime and on the sidelines during games you could not possibly know that it's 100% Manning and 0% Caldwell.

have you ever heard the announcer say "That was a brilliant call by Jim Caldwell

Zero...and that can easily be explained by the fact that Caldwell is not now nor has he ever been the play-caller. :rolleyes:

There is not a person on this board that can say with absolute certainty what percentage of game-planning and in-game adjustments can be attributed to Caldwell vs. Manning. To even try to do so simply makes you come off as :loco:

Oh and it should also be pointed out that Peyton can't orchestrate a come-back by himself. It also takes the OL blocking for him, receivers getting open for him and making catches, defense to make stops on the other team's offense and some good play from special teams as well. Yes Peyton is one of, if not the greatest QB of all time but good grief, some people make him out to be the freaking messiah.

Go stick your head in the sand. It is embarrassing, seriously.

It has taken Caldwell 3 years to get the personnel around him that he wants, and his franchise player went down. He had a team with the largest IR list in history last year and still managed to get the defense to shore up its holes for 4 games and put us in the playoffs. The same players he had before, working in the same scheme, put it together against the best rushing teams in the NFL and held onto those games for us. Caldwell was a part of that, whether you like it or not. He's done more to coach us to wins while our offense was missing pieces everywhere than his questionable timeouts ever did to lose us games (no, he didn't lose us the Jets game).

While some of you have that cute ability to point out his fewer than a handful of mistakes, most of you just don't like him on principle. You expected a big name, spitting, screaming, loser of a coach who seemed like the sexy pick. You got a relative unknown, position coach getting his shot at the big time. Who cares what his record was at Wake Forest? This isn't Wake Forest, this isn't college football. Bill Belichick had a terrible record with the Cleveland Browns. I guess the Patriots should have dumped him when they had the chance.

Do you really want to bring in a new head coach now? Really? You want to spend 3 more years adjusting the schemes and personnel, all the while watching Manning, Freeney, etc., age without getting another championship as everything shifts to transition mode again? Because that's what will happen. That's what happens everywhere, except in EXTREMELY rare situations. We'd be watching a mess on Sundays while the new coach brings in his guys and changes everything all over again.

"The new coach would just let Peyton do his thing..." Great, so what does he do with our defensive personnel? Build a 3-4? Yeah, that happens overnight. Have them learn an entirely new system and philosophy? If the coach is going to let things run as they are until Peyton's done, else he wins no more championships or even gets a shot at one before retiring, then what difference does it make if it's a big name doing nothing, or Caldwell doing nothing? A screamer or a blinker?

Did we look bad week one? Sure, but so did a lot of other "good" teams. At least we didn't get beat 35-7 with all of our best players on the field. At least we didn't possess one of the deepest, and most balanced rosters in football only to get annihilated 41-7 in our home opener. We could have been responsible for letting a rookie, non-QB throw for over 400 yards against us.

The lockout has had ill effects on everyone; for some, it's worse than others. We're also down the best player to see a football field.

I will close with a dose of harsh medicine that some of us - myself included - need to hear, but will never concede to:

Most of you know nothing about coaching. You have no ability to observe, grade, or recognize it if it were blinking at you all day.

Stop pretending you know better. You don't. Al Davis knows more about running a team than you do.

Stop acting like Irsay and the Polians are just incompetent, stubborn buffoons who are letting it happen out of spite, or pride, or whatever nonsense you've come up with. We've been one of the best and most consistently exceptional organizations for more than 10 years now, and it's not JUST because of Peyton Manning.

This isn't homerism, or a glass-half-full rhetoric. Opinions, emotions, thoughts... wonderful, though sometimes self-betraying traits. That's what the forums are for, right? Some of you just need to stop talking like you know how to fix things. Don't make it sound like you're smart, and they are dumb. If it's an opinion, state it as such. The rest is garbage.

"YES I STILL WANT A NEW COACH"

one that shows a little emotion .....

I wish for Jon Gruden

I think Caldwell could easily be putting himself on the hot seat this year, which I really like. I do not like Caldwell or his coaching staff to be honest. Without Peyton helping Caldwell look like a decent coach, his poor coaching styles are being exposed. I live in Raleigh, I think I need to go visit Cower down the road from me and beg him to coach the Colts haha.

I think Caldwell could easily be putting himself on the hot seat this year, which I really like. I do not like Caldwell or his coaching staff to be honest. Without Peyton helping Caldwell look like a decent coach, his poor coaching styles are being exposed. I live in Raleigh, I think I need to go visit Cower down the road from me and beg him to coach the Colts haha.

YES HURRY!!!!!

What people don't realize is we pretty much have an entirely new coaching staff down the line since our last title..

Tom Moore (O Coordinator)-Gone

Howard Mudd (O Line Coach)-Gone

Gene Hughey (RB's Coach)-Gone

Ron Meeks (D Coordinator) -Gone

Pretty sure we have a new WR coach as well since that season. My point being that to expect us to be exactly the same as we were in 2006 to now is obsurd because well.. we flat out don't have the same team down the line.

OH, please, please, please. please.

What people don't realize is we pretty much have an entirely new coaching staff down the line since our last title..

Tom Moore (O Coordinator)-Gone

Howard Mudd (O Line Coach)-Gone

Gene Hughey (RB's Coach)-Gone

Ron Meeks (D Coordinator) -Gone

Pretty sure we have a new WR coach as well since that season. My point being that to expect us to be exactly the same as we were in 2006 to now is obsurd because well.. we flat out don't have the same team down the line.

Ummm, yes we do realize it, and that's why we are ill prepared and have no discipline. OBTW, as poor as Meeks was, he didn't hide out in a perch above the team on game day, as Coyer does.

Ummm, yes we do realize it, and that's why we are ill prepared and have no discipline. OBTW, as poor as Meeks was, he didn't hide out in a perch above the team on game day, as Coyer does.

So that is your freaking complaint? That he does his job from the booth rather than the field?

So that is your freaking complaint? That he does his job from the booth rather than the field?

That is only one complaint. And of course it has nothing to do with the seating. It has to do with direct player contact and COACHING. Now I know Caldwell is on the sideline and still has little if any player contact.....WAIT A MINUTE....maybe he should be in a booth....WOW what a concept....Maybe instead of a complaint, it shoud be a request....Maybe they should both be in the booth, Whadoya think????? Maybe if they were both in the booth, they could do their job without outside interference like players and officials and fans and the awful noise of pads cracking.....

That is only one complaint. And of course it has nothing to do with the seating. It has to do with direct player contact and COACHING. Now I know Caldwell is on the sideline and still has little if any player contact.....WAIT A MINUTE....maybe he should be in a booth....WOW what a concept....Maybe instead of a complaint, it shoud be a request....Maybe they should both be in the booth, Whadoya think????? Maybe if they were both in the booth, they could do their job without outside interference like players and officials and fans and the awful noise of pads cracking.....

What do I think? I can't tell you because I'd get banned. However if Coyer being in the booth is a problem for you then, just...wow. If Coyer were the only coach in the league that sat in the booth instead of on the sideline, then I might be able to see your point but...he's kinda not. There are a lot of coaches that prefer to watch the game from the booth as opposed to the sidelines. They do have phones, headsets, walkie-talkies and other ways for the coach to still communicate with his players.

OK - so it is only one complaint, but it is a really, really bad one.

What do I think? I can't tell you because I'd get banned. However if Coyer being in the booth is a problem for you then, just...wow. If Coyer were the only coach in the league that sat in the booth instead of on the sideline, then I might be able to see your point but...he's kinda not. There are a lot of coaches that prefer to watch the game from the booth as opposed to the sidelines. They do have phones, headsets, walkie-talkies and other ways for the coach to still communicate with his players.

Really? Is this true? Honest? Wow what a concept, Had no idea.....