Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

To Those Who Want A New Coach:

doogansquest

i have no idea what u r saying

I don't know how much college basketball you watch (and I am not saying that in a sarcastic way I really don't and if you don't I can see why you might not get this) but every year when they are talking about the bubble teams they take three teams and put their resumes up and say okay pick which team you would put in the tournment. So I am saying okay say we did let Caldwell go it seems like most people Cowher, Fisher, or Gruden. So I put up their coaching numbers minus their Super Bowl numbers because people could guess who they are on that alone and saying based on pure numbers which coach do you want. I put Caldwell's numbers at the end so you can just see how Caldwell does stack up with them.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He hasn't done a good job? Sunday was a total Meltdown.

I am not sure how you figure that he wasn't responsible for the debacle yesterday.

The coaches and players need to take equal responsibility for the Houston game. However, we also have to keep in mind that the lockout significantly impacted the learning curve for our OL and defense. If we'd have had a full offseason then a lot of the problems we're seeing now would have ironed themselves out by now. Instead we're probably going to have to wait till week 4-6 before we start seeing just what kind of potential we have.

History has shown that good coaches win.. End of story.

And Caldwell has won so by your statement he is a good coach.

This team gets worse every year since Dungy left. It will continue to get worse under Caldwell. Change does not mean bad.

I really fail to see how you think our D has gotten worse since Dungy left. All of the players that came and went during the Dungy years "went" for a reason. Ever take a look at some of those guys after they left the Colts? Let me help you:

Gilbert Gardner, LB...played 3 years with us as in a significant backup role and started the majority of his final year. After he left he spent 1 year with Tennessee playing in 13 games as a backup but didn't even match his first year's stats as a Colt. He then left and spent 1 year with Detroit playing in 2 games and recording zero stats. No tackles, no passes defensed, no assists...nothing. Then he spent 1 year with Chicago playing in 1 game and again amassed zero stats. Now out of the league at only 29 years of age.

Cato June, LB...played 4 years with us, starting in the majority of the last 3. He left here and did play 2 years starting 14 games each year but his stats only reached about 65% of what he was able to amass here in Indy. He then played 1 year with Chicago playing a non-existent role in just one game. Now out of the league at only 31 years of age.

Freddy Keiaho, LB...played 4 years with us, significant backup role his first year, starting in his second and third years and then back to a backup role in his 4th year. After we released him no other team ever signed him. He's now out of the league at 28 years of age.

Raheem Brock, DT...played 8 years with us almost exclusively as a starter in all but his first and last year with us. His highest sack total for a single year was 6.5. He's now spent 2 years with Seattle. In his first year, he had 9 sacks playing in all 16 games but never as a starter. Of course, Seattle moved him to his natural position of DE and in his first year solely in a backup role he still had 2.5 more sacks than he had here.

Montae Reagor, DT....Spent 4 years with Denver exclusively as a backup save for 1 game. Then spent 4 years with Indy and started in all but 1 game. He left here and spent 1 year with Philadelphia playing in 7 games, all in a backup role and totaling all of 2 tackles. Now out of the league at 34 years of age.

Yes you can argue conversely that there was also Thornton, Petersen, Tripplett etc but Dungy didn't think enough of them to keep them around and instead went back after guys like you see above. Since Caldwell/Coyer took over, we have gotten bigger and stronger guys than we've ever had before. They're still developing as the majority such as Johnson, Moala, Angerer, Conner, Moten, Nevis, Hughes, Rucker etc are all still in their first and second years for the most part....some maybe 3rd. You can't just take a bunch of different pieces and make them a cohesive unit overnight. Now I'm not by any stretch saying the defense is "fixed" but it's certainly on it's way.

The team doesn't need schematic changes they just need someone to coach them to do what they are doing better.

I agree

Every fan recognizes an epic meltdown when he/she sees it. Caldwell has a track record of bad decision making and losing teams. It's hard to vouch for his success when the team gets worse and worse the farther away from Dungy that we get.

What's pretty clear is that Bill Polian has stepped back and Chris Polian is running the organization into the ground. Let's talk first round busts: Ugoh, Hughes, Gonzo, and Brown. O-line busts: Pollack, Richard, and Justice, McClendon. O-line departures: Lilja and Scott who are both playing great. The offensive line has played so badly that Peyton is sitting out with a neck injury. Am I supposed to be impressed? I think that it's pretty obvious that the front office has gotten sloppy.

All of these "busts" that you've listed were drafted with Bill as GM, not Chris. Chris just took over this past year and the 2011 draft was his first as GM. His first draft wasn't flashy but he used each one to address a significant area of need.

There are plenty of coaches out there who would compliment our personnel with the system they utilize. I am not a Caldwell fan, he is not competent, and has a lack luster football iq. I would like to at the very least see a new DC brought in, the defense needs a makeover. I don't care what anyone says in 16 weeks from now without Peyton Manning, the Colts would be lucky to win 6 games. They cannot run the ball, protect the qb, play efficient special teams, stop the run, stop the pass, really show preparation and heart on the field! The season needs to be used to evaluate players i.e. Jerry Hughes but really the entire team, Coaching Staff, and the Front Office. Switching to a 3-4 would not happen over night, but I have seen players (Jerry Hughes and Phillip Wheeler) who are average at best at this very moment in our system, look above average as standing pass rushers! We could see if there are 3-4 players on the team and run some 3-4 packages this season. I like the idea of Freeney and Nevis as the DE's in a 3-4 maybe even Jamaal Anderson and Foster, obviously a FA or drafting of a 3-4 NT, and maybe drafting Vontaze Burfict to play ILB with Angerer, Brackett's average years are behind him. Mathis is already undersized and could possibly play OLB or would certainly have some quality trade value! Conner, Wheeler, Hughes all could play OLB, and really in a 3-4 OLB are a dime a dozen, every year Green Bay drafts an OLB or has someone in the system capable of performing. I am more for a Hybrid 3-4 from our base 4-3, I think a coach like Rob Ryan would be able to do this, the Browns actually had a respectable defense last year, he had Brady and Brees number last year. The guy creates wrinkles and exotic looks that I think he could work wonders with here. To win another SB with the current team is going to require some change and some outside the box thinking! Things most Indy fans are not accustomed too! On the old forum I was asking for a defensive minded head coach, Peyton has the offense, and the new coach could focus on the defense!

One game in, I'm not ready to call for anyone's head. Going into week 1, I assumed we would get out played, primarily due to Collins not having a complete grasp of the offense yet. This was acceptable hence the reason why I predicted a 24 point loss.

What was alarming however was the fact that we got out-coached, and for anyone to argue different flies in the face of reality. In all phases, offense, defense and special teams, we got out coached.

We do not blame the coaches for players making mistakes, conversely, we do not blame the players for coaching errors.

Sadly, I believe the loss of Howard Mudd and Tom Moore was crucial to the lack of leadership and prudent adjustments. Caldwell's crew is failing.

But I relent. Doogan is correct. We are bound to these guys for the duration, at least toward Caldwell specifically. We cannot start changing out our HC during Manning's final years. Though inept as he is, firing Caldwell now will create tremendous instability.

At the end of the year, if things continue down this path of ineptitude, Irsay is going to have to address that elephant in the room; Caldwell's crew was a mistake. Manning's absence has exposed the coaching staff for what they are. What that is has yet to be fully determined.

Well, this season will bear the truth: Caldwell is not fit to be a head coach. With Manning out, we are on the same footing as every other average team in the NFL, so we should have an average season. (That's being generous as we have more talent than an average NFL team even without Manning.) So, if at the end of this season, we find ourselves in contention for Luck due to our record, then the blame shall lie directly at Caldwell's feet. Time will tell, but I believe in my gut that Caldwell is not the answer.

I will reluctantly agree though, that firing Caldwell midseason would probably not change our prospects, other than giving the new coach time to implement a new system before next season.

I think it's safe to say if we let go of Caldwell most people want Cowher, Gruden, or Fisher. So I thought it would be neat to look at their career number blind like CBS likes to do with bubble teams for the NCAA tournment. So I have post them (minus Super Bowls because you can guess who they are based on that.) and see who they like and I will post Caldwell's at the end.

Coach A: 95-81 win % of 54% 5-4 in the playoffs in five playoff trips.

Coach B: 142-120 win % of 54% 5-6 in the playoffs in six playoff trips.

Coach C: 149-90-1 win % of 62% 12-9 in the playoffs in ten playoff trips.

Caldwell is 24-9 win % of 73% 2-2 in the playoffs in two playoff trips.

After people chim in I'll tell you who which coach is.

This is pretty easy actually.

Coach A = Gruden

Coach B = Fisher

Coach C = Cowher

It's still too early to judge Caldwell.

When NO won the SB, Sean Payton was a genius. He's had some very questionable games since then. He's only a genius as long as Brees stays healthy. Though they seemingly have a more creative DC.

I also don't think the Colts necessarily need to change defensive philosophy. As much as I don't like them, look at the Bears. They're base defense is the same. They've had better personnel though. Primarily at the DT & LB positions overall.

This is pretty easy actually.

Coach A = Gruden

Coach B = Fisher

Coach C = Cowher

It's still too early to judge Caldwell.

When NO won the SB, Sean Payton was a genius. He's had some very questionable games since then. He's only a genius as long as Brees stays healthy. Though they seemingly have a more creative DC.

I also don't think the Colts necessarily need to change defensive philosophy. As much as I don't like them, look at the Bears. They're base defense is the same. They've had better personnel though. Primarily at the DT & LB positions overall.

I agree with everything. Bears also have CB's who can press the receiver which affords them the opportunity to blitz more. I think we would be able to do the same thing if we were able to pick up one more CB who can play good press coverage because I think Powers would be fine as well. However I certainly don't trust Lacey yet and haven't seen enough yet from Tryon or Rucker to give them the chance to play press in order for us to blitz more often.

Go stick your head in the sand. It is embarrassing, seriously.

It has taken Caldwell 3 years to get the personnel around him that he wants, and his franchise player went down. He had a team with the largest IR list in history last year and still managed to get the defense to shore up its holes for 4 games and put us in the playoffs. The same players he had before, working in the same scheme, put it together against the best rushing teams in the NFL and held onto those games for us. Caldwell was a part of that, whether you like it or not. He's done more to coach us to wins while our offense was missing pieces everywhere than his questionable timeouts ever did to lose us games (no, he didn't lose us the Jets game).

While some of you have that cute ability to point out his fewer than a handful of mistakes, most of you just don't like him on principle. You expected a big name, spitting, screaming, loser of a coach who seemed like the sexy pick. You got a relative unknown, position coach getting his shot at the big time. Who cares what his record was at Wake Forest? This isn't Wake Forest, this isn't college football. Bill Belichick had a terrible record with the Cleveland Browns. I guess the Patriots should have dumped him when they had the chance.

Do you really want to bring in a new head coach now? Really? You want to spend 3 more years adjusting the schemes and personnel, all the while watching Manning, Freeney, etc., age without getting another championship as everything shifts to transition mode again? Because that's what will happen. That's what happens everywhere, except in EXTREMELY rare situations. We'd be watching a mess on Sundays while the new coach brings in his guys and changes everything all over again.

"The new coach would just let Peyton do his thing..." Great, so what does he do with our defensive personnel? Build a 3-4? Yeah, that happens overnight. Have them learn an entirely new system and philosophy? If the coach is going to let things run as they are until Peyton's done, else he wins no more championships or even gets a shot at one before retiring, then what difference does it make if it's a big name doing nothing, or Caldwell doing nothing? A screamer or a blinker?

Did we look bad week one? Sure, but so did a lot of other "good" teams. At least we didn't get beat 35-7 with all of our best players on the field. At least we didn't possess one of the deepest, and most balanced rosters in football only to get annihilated 41-7 in our home opener. We could have been responsible for letting a rookie, non-QB throw for over 400 yards against us.

The lockout has had ill effects on everyone; for some, it's worse than others. We're also down the best player to see a football field.

I will close with a dose of harsh medicine that some of us - myself included - need to hear, but will never concede to:

Most of you know nothing about coaching. You have no ability to observe, grade, or recognize it if it were blinking at you all day.

Stop pretending you know better. You don't. Al Davis knows more about running a team than you do.

Stop acting like Irsay and the Polians are just incompetent, stubborn buffoons who are letting it happen out of spite, or pride, or whatever nonsense you've come up with. We've been one of the best and most consistently exceptional organizations for more than 10 years now, and it's not JUST because of Peyton Manning.

This isn't homerism, or a glass-half-full rhetoric. Opinions, emotions, thoughts... wonderful, though sometimes self-betraying traits. That's what the forums are for, right? Some of you just need to stop talking like you know how to fix things. Don't make it sound like you're smart, and they are dumb. If it's an opinion, state it as such. The rest is garbage.

Real nfl caliber coaches dont need three years to put staffs and schemes together. is it going to take

three more to learn how to make in game adjustment and call timeouts? jmo. cmon now!

Our team needs a new defensive scheme the tampa 2 is old it doesnt work. We have no run stoppers to clog up the middle. I think caldwell is an average coach at best. You should be hurt when u loose like this not making excuses!! I think our offense will play well this week. Our defense im not so confident in.

Our team needs a new defensive scheme the tampa 2 is old it doesnt work. We have no run stoppers to clog up the middle. I think caldwell is an average coach at best. You should be hurt when u loose like this not making excuses!! I think our offense will play well this week. Our defense im not so confident in.

How do you know Caldwell isn't hurt when we lose? Because he isn't throwing a fit on the sidelines when it happens? He just keeps his emotions in check. Nothing wrong with having a level head. Also, I have never once heard Caldwell offer up an excuse for us losing. Normally he says what th problem is and that they need to play better. That isn't making an excuse that's saying hey we didn't do it well enough. The people who make the excuses are the fans.

I love it when people compare "Caldwell's record" to other coaches. It's not like those coaches ever had a quarteback that was close to the quarterback Manning is.

Cowher went to the Super Bowl with Neil O'Donnell & a young raw Ben Roethlisberger

Gruden went to the Super Bowl with Brad Johnson

Fisher went to the Super Bowl with a young/raw Steve McNair.

None of those guys were close to being in the class of Manning and each of those teams had outstanding defenses, not a defense that is mediocre at best that can be good enough to have a few good games, but can also be bad enough to make more quarterbacks than not look like the second coming.

I love it when people compare "Caldwell's record" to other coaches. It's not like those coaches ever had a quarteback that was close to the quarterback Manning is.

Cowher went to the Super Bowl with Neil O'Donnell & a young raw Ben Roethlisberger

Gruden went to the Super Bowl with Brad Johnson

Fisher went to the Super Bowl with a young/raw Steve McNair.

None of those guys were close to being in the class of Manning and each of those teams had outstanding defenses, not a defense that is mediocre at best that can be good enough to have a few good games, but can also be bad enough to make more quarterbacks than not look like the second coming.

Add to that Brian Billick went to and won the SB with Trent Dilfer. I know he wasn't included in the original comparison but he's always been my top pick for a "big name" coach if we were to search for one with Gruden being a close second.

It has taken Caldwell 3 years to get the personnel around him that he wants, and his franchise player went down. He had a team with the largest IR list in history last year and still managed to get the defense to shore up its holes for 4 games and put us in the playoffs. The same players he had before, working in the same scheme, put it together against the best rushing teams in the NFL and held onto those games for us. Caldwell was a part of that, whether you like it or not. He's done more to coach us to wins while our offense was missing pieces everywhere than his questionable timeouts ever did to lose us games (no, he didn't lose us the Jets game)........................

Do you really want to bring in a new head coach now? Really? You want to spend 3 more years adjusting the schemes and personnel, all the while watching Manning, Freeney, etc., age without getting another championship as everything shifts to transition mode again? Because that's what will happen. That's what happens everywhere, except in EXTREMELY rare situations. We'd be watching a mess on Sundays while the new coach brings in his guys and changes everything all over again.

"The new coach would just let Peyton do his thing..." Great, so what does he do with our defensive personnel? Build a 3-4? Yeah, that happens overnight. Have them learn an entirely new system and philosophy? If the coach is going to let things run as they are until Peyton's done, else he wins no more championships or even gets a shot at one before retiring, then what difference does it make if it's a big name doing nothing, or Caldwell doing nothing? A screamer or a blinker?

Did we look bad week one? Sure, but so did a lot of other "good" teams. At least we didn't get beat 35-7 with all of our best players on the field. At least we didn't possess one of the deepest, and most balanced rosters in football only to get annihilated 41-7 in our home opener. We could have been responsible for letting a rookie, non-QB throw for over 400 yards against us. ....................

If it's an opinion, state it as such. The rest is garbage.

While I generally agree with you, this time is sort of half and half...

Ill take it in steps...

You said it has taken him 3 years to get people around him, like that means he will now be improved somehow. He went to the SB the first year didnt he?

He did do an admirable job last year, towards the end. But its the beginning that a lot of us worry about.

Also, why does he do so well missing all those players, but now that they are back, it looked so awful?

And yes, I know its only one game, with a marginal off-season, but not all of these guys were rookies. Some are pro-bowlers that just played like rookies.

You cant tell people to make sure to mark comments as opinion when you dont. Your second part about "thats what will happen" is your opinion. No matter how you spin it, its exactly that. You could be right, but you could also be wrong. Using statistics to back it up doesnt make it any more fact, just more of a trend in that direction...but still opinion, maybe even expert opinion, but opinion non the less.

And no, we didnt get beat 35-7 with ALL of the Colts best players, just all of them but one.

On the last, see above. And remember that this is a forum, and most of whats posted IS opinion. Having that in mind will help everyone not get so upset at the "facts" being posted.

Now I get the reasons behind the post. Most calling for Caldwell to be ousted are just doing so because they are miffed at him. I get that too...it does seem game preparation is more of an issue with him than it was with other coaches, but maybe its players being lazy.

As to the mistakes he has made, maybe it is just a handful, but some are pretty big ones. Personally, I think its the little ones no one talks about too much or even sees that kill the team.

How many times are the wrong people on the field, wrong blocking assignments, etc, etc? Who is responsible for that?

I really dont care who coaches them, but that person has to make sure the mistakes are kept to a minimum. If that happens, everything else will take care of itself.

Add to that Brian Billick went to and won the SB with Trent Dilfer. I know he wasn't included in the original comparison but he's always been my top pick for a "big name" coach if we were to search for one with Gruden being a close second.

Similar example.

There are a tons of names out there that would be an immediate upgrade to Caldwell but that actually isn't saying much, but there are plenty of names that are huge upgrade to Caldwell.

Look I know you are frustrated at what people are saying about our coaching staff but look at it this way. Caldwell is a Dungy clone no matter what you say. Can you honestly say our defense which has nothing to do with Peyton is good? It is time to get a new scheme period and Caldwell isn't going to do that as long as he is there. We have talent as much as anyone on that side of the ball, I really believe that but as long as Calwell is there the tampa two will be there. I don't know about you but Im tired of watching teams gash our defense week after week year after year and praying I hope we get the ball last so Peyton and the offense can win a game. Look New England went to the playoffs the year Brady went down , Pittsburgh went 3 and 1 without Ben last year so why can't we . Its our defense period. Just think how many championships we could have won if only we had a defense!!!! This week will tell us a little more with more time for Collins to adjust so we will see. I am hoping for a win as I will be watching as I do every week . You don't have to be a rocket scientist to see it isn't working whether that be coaches or the players or both !!!!

Look I know you are frustrated at what people are saying about our coaching staff but look at it this way. Caldwell is a Dungy clone no matter what you say. Can you honestly say our defense which has nothing to do with Peyton is good? It is time to get a new scheme period and Caldwell isn't going to do that as long as he is there. We have talent as much as anyone on that side of the ball, I really believe that but as long as Calwell is there the tampa two will be there. I don't know about you but Im tired of watching teams gash our defense week after week year after year and praying I hope we get the ball last so Peyton and the offense can win a game. Look New England went to the playoffs the year Brady went down , Pittsburgh went 3 and 1 without Ben last year so why can't we . Its our defense period. Just think how many championships we could have won if only we had a defense!!!! This week will tell us a little more with more time for Collins to adjust so we will see. I am hoping for a win as I will be watching as I do every week . You don't have to be a rocket scientist to see it isn't working whether that be coaches or the players or both !!!!

IMO it's both. The scheme can work if you have the right philosophy and the right players. You're going to get a lot of people arguing that to try to rebuild the defense now is a waste of time since Manning is in the final years of his career so to bring in a new coaching staff would mean a complete overhaul. But I mean really, how far is that from what we're doing now anyway? We're working on bringing in new players who are bigger and stronger so we have a lot of new faces on defense that are trying to learn schemes and learn how to play well together as a unit.

People will argue that to change philosophy or scheme would be a mistake because the players we have now won't work in a new scheme. Well they're not exactly working in the current scheme either, at least the guys who have been around for more then 3 years. If anyone was going to make a stellar defense with guys like Freeney, Mathis, Brackett etc don't you think it would have been Dungy? He was one of the father's of the Tampa 2 and it was his philosophy that we need small, fast guys who can rush the passer and play in coverage. Well, that's what we got...guys who can rush the passer and a MIKE who can play very well in coverage. Yet, Dungy was never able to turn our defense with these guys into anything more than average at best. The current scheme with the current core of major players (again I'm referring to guys who have been here since the Dungy days) simply has not worked. It never did and it's never going to. If it were going to have worked then Dungy would have made it work because he essentially helped to hand pick these players and built the defense around them.

Some people say it would be a disservice to Manning to bring in a new Defensive coach to instill a new defensive philosophy but I would argue that it's more of a disservice to him to keep the current system, philosophy and players who which has been proven time and time again to simply not work.

I'm not saying we absolutely have to have a complete overhaul of the defense. A lot of the new, younger guys are going to be more versatile and would be able to transition to a more conventional 4-3 system and they could even keep the overall ocver 2 scheme. The cover 2 can work as is proven in Chicago. We have to stop ignoring the LB, CB and DT positions though like Dungy did and the new staff is showing that they don't feel the same way about this. Case in point would be the number of LB's and DT's that have been drafted in the last 3 years. We need to keep addressing these areas and also address CB. I think we need to spend a relatively high draft pick on a corner who can play both press/man coverage as well as zone. Ideally he would also be able to at least help against the run and not be a liability against it. A perfect guy to take a look at is Dre Kirkpatrick. The more I read about him, the more video footage I watch of him and the more I watch Alabama's games the more I like him. I don't want to hijack this thread any more talking about him so visit the draft forum if you'd like to know more. :)

Caldwell may be a Dungy clone, but in expressions only.

He's an offensive guy, not a defensive guy. I can't comment on his appreciation for the Tampa 2, as I don't know him that well.

Cassell spent the whole off-season in the system.

Pitts back-ups spent the whole off-season in the system.

We haven't lost a second game yet, so we don't know for certain we won't start off 3-1.

I really have no problem with a defensive scheme change, as it doesn't seem to work as well for us when we don't have a lead.

However, it can take time to convert. Also, I'm not certain the change hasn't already begun, though slow.

I can't believe that people are still on the Gruden bandwagon. One of the major reasons he was fired in Tampa was his players hated him and basically looked for the fastest way off the team.

I'm with you.

I even have a hard time with him being in the booth.

He's enthusiastic and all, but he's really hard to take.

I would take him. I think he's a good coach. Hopefully somebody else has that in mind.

Mind-numbing

1) Hasn't there been enough dumpster fires that is college coaches trying to be pro coaches of late to say this is probably not the best of ideas.

2) One of the things that Caldwell gets destroyed for, as wrong as it may be, is his lack of emotion. Do you think Tressel is a bundle of energy?

Excerpt from Los Angeles Times article--TE Dallas Clark was given an unenviable task against the Texas. Try and pass block against Houston defensive end turned outside linebacker Mario Williams. Williams ended up with two sacks of Colts QB Kerry Collins. "Dallas fought him, but that's more on me than anything else," coach Jim Caldwell admitted. "I have to take responsibility for knowing those situations would come up, and we just have to find a way to, if he needs some help, get him some help or look at alternatives."

Wow...by his own admission the fact that Dallas was forced to try and block Mario Williams was because Caldwell was not as aware as he should have been of those situations. He didn't know that the Texans would scheme their defense to try to create and exploit mismatches for their primary pass rusher? This is troublesome to me. His quote makes him sound poorly prepared. And some wonder why some fans question his ability to properly prepare this team and get them ready to play.

And if he blamed Metz (where the responsibility belongs) then you whine and cry about him throwing his coaches under the bus.

Not saying Caldwell is mistake free because he's not, he's been an NFL HC for 37 games. His mistakes does not mean he's poorly prepared or doesn't get his team ready, they are mistakes, things to learn from. That is why many coaches get better as they coach, because they learn from their mistakes.

I watched a couple of Houston's preseason games on the NFL preseason Live and I was surprised by how much they moved Mario around.

TO the OP --- I agree, Caldwell is a good coach, whose few bad calls foreshadow everything he does. He also has the best winning percentage as a coach in the NFL. One bad call and it's "Oh get rid of him, he sucks." It's sorta the same situation with Donald Brown, one bad run and everyone is against. Look at the facts, before criticizing a good coach.

We have dumpster fire as a review advisor now?

Someone call the fire department!

That dumpster fire has a much better college record than Caldwell but I don't think it has anything to do with showing emotions on the sideline. He's probably a better strategist though.

TO the OP --- I agree, Caldwell is a good coach, whose few bad calls foreshadow everything he does. He also has the best winning percentage as a coach in the NFL. One bad call and it's "Oh get rid of him, he sucks." It's sorta the same situation with Donald Brown, one bad run and everyone is against. Look at the facts, before criticizing a good coach.

Okay, if we are going to look at winning percentage, then we need to keep track of his record without Peyton Manning at the helm. Obviously the best player in the NFL had absolutely nothing to do with Caldwell's record, eh? Peyton was along for the ride....or is it the other way around?

What is the point in arguing if Caldwell is a good coach or not? Some people here say he's a good coach and point to certain things that fit their agenda, and others point to the opposite points that fit their agenda. Nobody here knows anymore than the next person about how good or bad of a coach he is. The players aren't going to come out and say he sucks even if they think he does. To point out his win percentage is nonsense IMO and to point out his bad timeout calls is nonsense IMO. All I know is that he and his staff had a horrible gameplan last sunday, but he could get it right this sunday. Im not a huge fan of Caldwell, but I also am not ready to throw him under the bus just yet. This will be the yr. I make up my mind about him(not that it matters) but I do know im ready to see Coyer hit the road and take his ignorant scheme with him.

Go stick your head in the sand. It is embarrassing, seriously.

It has taken Caldwell 3 years to get the personnel around him that he wants, and his franchise player went down. He had a team with the largest IR list in history last year and still managed to get the defense to shore up its holes for 4 games and put us in the playoffs. The same players he had before, working in the same scheme, put it together against the best rushing teams in the NFL and held onto those games for us. Caldwell was a part of that, whether you like it or not. He's done more to coach us to wins while our offense was missing pieces everywhere than his questionable timeouts ever did to lose us games (no, he didn't lose us the Jets game).

While some of you have that cute ability to point out his fewer than a handful of mistakes, most of you just don't like him on principle. You expected a big name, spitting, screaming, loser of a coach who seemed like the sexy pick. You got a relative unknown, position coach getting his shot at the big time. Who cares what his record was at Wake Forest? This isn't Wake Forest, this isn't college football. Bill Belichick had a terrible record with the Cleveland Browns. I guess the Patriots should have dumped him when they had the chance.

Did we look bad week one? Sure, but so did a lot of other "good" teams. At least we didn't get beat 35-7 with all of our best players on the field. At least we didn't possess one of the deepest, and most balanced rosters in football only to get annihilated 41-7 in our home opener. We could have been responsible for letting a rookie, non-QB throw for over 400 yards against us.

The lockout has had ill effects on everyone; for some, it's worse than others. We're also down the best player to see a football field.

I will close with a dose of harsh medicine that some of us - myself included - need to hear, but will never concede to:

Most of you know nothing about coaching. You have no ability to observe, grade, or recognize it if it were blinking at you all day.

Stop pretending you know better. You don't. Al Davis knows more about running a team than you do.

Stop acting like Irsay and the Polians are just incompetent, stubborn buffoons who are letting it happen out of spite, or pride, or whatever nonsense you've come up with. We've been one of the best and most consistently exceptional organizations for more than 10 years now, and it's not JUST because of Peyton Manning.

This isn't homerism, or a glass-half-full rhetoric. Opinions, emotions, thoughts... wonderful, though sometimes self-betraying traits. That's what the forums are for, right? Some of you just need to stop talking like you know how to fix things. Don't make it sound like you're smart, and they are dumb. If it's an opinion, state it as such. The rest is garbage.

Seeing a person miss the entire reason for a forum, wasting time with a novel that does nothing but show brown on you nose for the coaches and staff,mirrors stupidity. What should be discussed on this forum? Uniform colors? God forbid we ask for improvement on a poorly run franchise that has underachived in every way. Case Closed! Homer.

Okay, if we are going to look at winning percentage, then we need to keep track of his record without Peyton Manning at the helm. Obviously the best player in the NFL had absolutely nothing to do with Caldwell's record, eh? Peyton was along for the ride....or is it the other way around?

Well, PM played with Tony Dungy and only went to 1 SB. In JIm Caldwell's 1st year he went to the SB. Also, if you go by that criteria, I guess Tony Dungy is a horrible coach too, right?

PM overshadows the coaches, any of his coaches because he's so good that no one cares about the coaches. Now, unfortunately the couple of errors by Caldwell overshadows his coaching. Let's look at the good things, our defense has gotten more aggressive. Our team in general has severely less talent then the Dungy era (O-line, RBs, WR, LBs, CBs all worse). Even Dungy says so (he said it indirectly however), and Dungy believes in him, which matters a lot to me b/c he's a SB winning head coach. Don't let the bad overshadow the good.

Well, PM played with Tony Dungy and only went to 1 SB. In JIm Caldwell's 1st year he went to the SB. Also, if you go by that criteria, I guess Tony Dungy is a horrible coach too, right?

PM overshadows the coaches, any of his coaches because he's so good that no one cares about the coaches. Now, unfortunately the couple of errors by Caldwell overshadows his coaching. Let's look at the good things, our defense has gotten more aggressive. Our team in general has severely less talent then the Dungy era (O-line, RBs, WR, LBs, CBs all worse). Even Dungy says so (he said it indirectly however), and Dungy believes in him, which matters a lot to me b/c he's a SB winning head coach. Don't let the bad overshadow the good.

Dungy isn't great, I always thought he was too soft.