Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Vic Ballard [not bad not bad at all]

Jay Kirk

I am not going to go straight up and compare Ballard to the longevity and excellence of Walter Payton.  That indeed was a storied career. Payton's career took me from 5th grade through college and provided years of 'sweetness.' :)

One thing that is similar is that neither Ballard or Payton were 'world beaters' in their first year.  Jay mentions Ballard's numbers above, and they were actually better than Payton's first year when he struggled as the Bears continued to find someone to replace the legendary number 40....Gale Sayers.  Payton finished 1975 with 679 yards rushing.  Bears fans at that time thought Peyton was too slow (He could not carry Gale Sayer's luggage  :funny:) !!!!  Some of our fans have said that about Ballard on his speed.  I for one love his 'burst' to the line of scrimmage.

That is where those comparisons stop for me, but the first year is pretty similar.  Ballard gave the Colts everything he had in 'flying' through the air for one of the exciting moments of 2012.  He churned for extra yards....love the way he kept moving north and south.

All of this said, he has a lot to learn. Ballard's pass blocking needs upgraded as well as passing catching skills, and once we have a better line maybe a better understanding of 'hitting the hole' behind hopefully more solid blocking.(It has to happen :))

Vick Ballard needs to be himself and nobody else....and he will be just fine.  Until he throws for 8 TD passes, kicks 'some' extra points, rushes for 16,726 yards and goes for 21,803 All Purpose yards......like his 'sweetness Sir Walter accomplished anyway :)  I for one think Mr. Ballard and the Colts will be just fine!!!  Go  :blueshoe:  :blueshoe:  :blueshoe: !!!!!

Excellent assessment Brent, and I concur 100%

For fun I replayed all those Ballard runs. A big kick watching him stretching the D to BOTH Sides of the field making all the Walter like Jukes, hard cuts, cutting back, reversing field. Ballard lowered his shoulder driving into would be tacklers and blowing them up, man it was Walter all over again.

Or maybe Thomas Jones.

With a switch in offensive schemes the Colts may need to draft a fullback type

I feel like Delone Carter could really benefit from the sort of system we are expecting from Pep. Ballard is in similar build to Delone too, so they may have a split back role.

Let's not get ahead of ourselves. Vic was solid. But we definitely need to pick up another RB in the later rounds this year. Maybe give Lattimore a try, if he has the right work ethic and looks healthy enough to play a whole NFL season as a 2nd string back who I'm sure would get his due time behind Ballard.

Or maybe to much brain stretch huh? Yes refering to you BB lol your so wise

Everyone, lets keep the thread about the title which was that Ballard was not bad at all, Its ok to have differing opinions about this. If a person posts something you strongly disagree with, point out the post....not the poster.

Let's not get ahead of ourselves. Vic was solid. But we definitely need to pick up another RB in the later rounds this year. Maybe give Lattimore a try, if he has the right work ethic and looks healthy enough to play a whole NFL season as a 2nd string back who I'm sure would get his due time behind Ballard.

As i said we do need to look in latter rounds for another RB,and i do like Lattimore,but have my doubts about his knee,One of the worst looking injuries ive seen on tv .Lol sad to say but that one ranks right there with the Joe Thiesman deal.Football is a rough sport and you expect injuries ,but those 2 still give me a sick feeling in my stomach.

I think vicky is good,but not great.He's not the type of player teams fear(b-more didn't).

Yeah, they didn't fear him because they didn't fear our line. 

Ballard is a bruiser.  If he works on becoming faster and the line becomes better, he will have more momentum hitting them holes and then his trucking ability will be on display for everyone to see.

Yeah, they didn't fear him because they didn't fear our line. 

Ballard is a bruiser.  If he works on becoming faster and the line becomes better, he will have more momentum hitting them holes and then his trucking ability will be on display for everyone to see.

Yes hes faster than most think,,and hes a bruiser ,really the point i was making in comparison to WP,and as i believe my Brother Brent said I believe he is quick to the hole its just a matter of keeping DL out of the backfield so he has that chance,.If that happens our running game Flourishes,and then so does the passing game,because AL actually will have time to throw with out running for his life :funny:  As far as hits i believe both Ballard and Luck have shown durability

Yes hes faster than most think,,and hes a bruiser ,really the point i was making in comparison to WP,and as i believe my Brother Brent said I believe he is quick to the hole its just a matter of keeping DL out of the backfield so he has that chance,.If that happens our running game Flourishes,and then so does the passing game,because AL actually will have time to throw with out running for his life :funny:  As far as hits i believe both Ballard and Luck have shown durability

I think you make one of the best points of the thread, Jay!  We saw this year in a lot of 2 minute sequences where Ballard chewed up yardage.  All football fans know that a "flourishing running game" sets up the passing game.  This is not any 'news breaker.'  :)

What the run will do with the West Coast offense is open u the middle for Fleener and Allen to take their games to new levels, and TY will become a big name in the NFL.  The run also sets up fantastic play action deep scenarios, so we cannot simply look to dink and dunk.....also utilize our speed down field.

Lastly, the run sets Luck up perfectly for what I call the Joe Montana-esque 'designed roll'outs' that were mastered in the Bill Walsh Era.  Throw in Luck's athleticism and this team can plan on yearly trips deep into the playoffs.....OL Please :)  Go  :coltslogo:  :coltslogo:  :coltslogo:  :coltshorse:  :coltshorse:  :coltshorse:  :pass:  :pass:  :pass: !!!

I love that Vic was there when we needed him, not injured. Great durability and North, South running. The Titans game was a highlight for Vic and then the 9 something minute drive when we punched Houston in the CHOPS was my favorite games for him. He was a great pickup for us this year. Played his butt off for :blueshoe: .

I love that Vic was there when we needed him, not injured. Great durability and North, South running. The Titans game was a highlight for Vic and then the 9 something minute drive when we punched Houston in the CHOPS was my favorite games for him. He was a great pickup for us this year. Played his butt off for :blueshoe: .

Thanks for posting,I really liked him from the time we drafted him,and im glad you noticed what he brings to this team,and yes that 9 min drive was big,what i loved was we just ran it out,instead of running up score.IMO that showed CLASS! :coltslogo:   

Lol I was bouncing up and down on the couch yelling PUNCHEM IN THE MOUTH!!! I wanted that Houston win BIG TIME after we were told ALLLLLLLLLL year long that there was NO way we beat Houston, by a couple posters here. haha  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  And Vic was gassed before that drive even started. But he dug down and gutted it out. To me that showed what he was made of and his worth to the team elevated to a new level. In my eyes anyway.

Lol I was bouncing up and down on the couch yelling PUNCHEM IN THE MOUTH!!! I wanted that Houston win BIG TIME after we were told ALLLLLLLLLL year long that there was NO way we beat Houston, by a couple posters here. haha  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  And Vic was gassed before that drive even started. But he dug down and gutted it out. To me that showed what he was made of and his worth to the team elevated to a new level. In my eyes anyway.

Great post FC,shows me you see everything as well,and how things that go unoticed to some ,stand out to you its called the game with in the game,Its little things like this,that are very big,when it comes to moving to the next level,and IMO its what seperates the good from Champions

I think vicky is good,but not great.He's not the type of player teams fear(b-more didn't).If we can obtain stephen jackson for decent money,then i'll sleep better.

Doesn't matter who we have until we have a good O Line. Ballard did awesome considering he was often being hit before he had a good head of steam. I doubt even Adrian Peterson would put up jaw dropping numbers behind our line.

As i said we do need to look in latter rounds for another RB,and i do like Lattimore,but have my doubts about his knee,One of the worst looking injuries ive seen on tv .Lol sad to say but that one ranks right there with the Joe Thiesman deal.Football is a rough sport and you expect injuries ,but those 2 still give me a sick feeling in my stomach.

There are plenty of guys in the NFL that have come back from major knee surgeries. Willis McGahee is probably the nastiest injury I have ever seen and he's had a pretty good career. I can't guarantee Marcus will stay healthy but I can guarantee he will work harder than anyone on the team just to prove people wrong.He was just interviewed by the NFL Netwok and told them he plans on being ready to play the first game next year. And don't dare bet agaiinst him because he means what he says.He is a workout freak. I am a huge Gamecock fan and have watched every game he has played. He can do it all. Not only can he run but he has great hands and is a very good blocker when required to stay in and pick up blitzers. The only knock on him is he doesn't have break away speed but he makes up for it with his incredible vision. I swear he sees a hole open before it even opens. He really is an amazing running back and if you can believe it he's even a better person. He is going to make some team very very happy they took a chance on him. Houston has already told him that if he's still available in the 3rd round then they will take him. I just hope that we step up before them and grab him. He will make our team and community better. He really is special and we would be really lucky to have him.

There are plenty of guys in the NFL that have come back from major knee surgeries. Willis McGahee is probably the nastiest injury I have ever seen and he's had a pretty good career. I can't guarantee Marcus will stay healthy but I can guarantee he will work harder than anyone on the team just to prove people wrong.He was just interviewed by the NFL Netwok and told them he plans on being ready to play the first game next year. And don't dare bet agaiinst him because he means what he says.He is a workout freak. I am a huge Gamecock fan and have watched every game he has played. He can do it all. Not only can he run but he has great hands and is a very good blocker when required to stay in and pick up blitzers. The only knock on him is he doesn't have break away speed but he makes up for it with his incredible vision. I swear he sees a hole open before it even opens. He really is an amazing running back and if you can believe it he's even a better person. He is going to make some team very very happy they took a chance on him. Houston has already told him that if he's still available in the 3rd round then they will take him. I just hope that we step up before them and grab him. He will make our team and community better. He really is special and we would be really lucky to have him.

Nice write up....I love the kid....wish him the VERY best in recovery of one of the worst injuries...this old LB has EVER seen.  I think Theisman was mentioned above.....Hurts thinking about it.

Great first post....welcome to the forum!!!  :)

Grrrrrrrr outta my quota of likes,I echo Brent great post,and Ive watched him,absolutely love his game,and what youve said about being a great person seen this as well.Iwish him nothing but the best,and i do believe he has the will to come back :thmup:

I like Ballard a lot. The guy doesn't bounce around when he gets the ball like a certain former running back... and if he can pick up the yards he made this year imagine what he can do with a decent line in front of him. I hope they let Brown go.
I dont dislike Brown,just dont think he can play more than a game or 2 before hes on injured list,2013 will likely be his last as a Colt IMO

I still hold out belief that Brown can have a healthful season and his speed can be devastating. Defenders in the secondary have to peek a bit more because of speed. I do agree though that he needs to be available for a higher percentage of the season.

I like our combo of rbs. I think they are good enough to get it done. Sure they aren't AP or Ray Rice or Foster but if they had a better o-line to run behind they would be more than acceptable. Especially with how dangerous Luck will be in the passing game. I don't need a 100 yd rusher every game....give me a couple 75/80 yders like Baltimore has and I'm happy. I think our guys could do that behind the right line. I was thrilled with our draft picks this year. Really Fleener was the only one that underperformed (imo). I loved ballard in the draft in rd 5 and believe the return on investment is and will pay off. He needs to work on his pass protection and ball security but to me...day 1 starter next year.