Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Vic Ballard [not bad not bad at all]

Jay Kirk

Just looking at his stats ,Im impressed ,not that I wasnt allready.This kid had 814 yards for a 3.9 yds avg. considering all the times he was being hit in the back field as he just recieved or was recieving the exchange this is down right impressive.What would this kid have done with a solid OL? Plus hes very durable IMO we have something pretty special,He will improve on pass protection,and in running routes,I think his future looks bright

I think vicky is good,but not great.He's not the type of player teams fear(b-more didn't).If we can obtain stephen jackson for decent money,then i'll sleep better.

Alot of people didnt fear Walter P either but they learned to,I see this kid as a similar type of back.Dont think S J fits money wise or durability wise ,remember Ballard was a rookie behind a subpar OL

I think vicky is good,but not great.He's not the type of player teams fear(b-more didn't).If we can obtain stephen jackson for decent money,then i'll sleep better.

Two things:

1) Methinks you will have more sleepless nights - Jackson ain't happening.

2) If the Colts RB situation causes you sleepless nights, I would be concerned about my priorities

No RB is gonna build a reputation behind that line in 1 year. The fear factor is very overstated. Most football players don't fear each other, they respect each others game and see opponents as a challenge.

No RB is gonna build a reputation behind that line in 1 year. The fear factor is very overstated. Most football players don't fear each other, they respect each others game and see opponents as a challenge.

I like vicky alot,and he did run well with an garbage o-line.Its possible that he can develope into a premier back,with better support.But other than he,who else do we really have?Teams know that if they stick 'DB' a couple of times,he'll just disappear(doesn't like contact).

I am not going to go straight up and compare Ballard to the longevity and excellence of Walter Payton.  That indeed was a storied career. Payton's career took me from 5th grade through college and provided years of 'sweetness.' :)

One thing that is similar is that neither Ballard or Payton were 'world beaters' in their first year.  Jay mentions Ballard's numbers above, and they were actually better than Payton's first year when he struggled as the Bears continued to find someone to replace the legendary number 40....Gale Sayers.  Payton finished 1975 with 679 yards rushing.  Bears fans at that time thought Peyton was too slow (He could not carry Gale Sayer's luggage  :funny:) !!!!  Some of our fans have said that about Ballard on his speed.  I for one love his 'burst' to the line of scrimmage.

That is where those comparisons stop for me, but the first year is pretty similar.  Ballard gave the Colts everything he had in 'flying' through the air for one of the exciting moments of 2012.  He churned for extra yards....love the way he kept moving north and south.

All of this said, he has a lot to learn. Ballard's pass blocking needs upgraded as well as passing catching skills, and once we have a better line maybe a better understanding of 'hitting the hole' behind hopefully more solid blocking.(It has to happen :))

Vick Ballard needs to be himself and nobody else....and he will be just fine.  Until he throws for 8 TD passes, kicks 'some' extra points, rushes for 16,726 yards and goes for 21,803 All Purpose yards......like his 'sweetness Sir Walter accomplished anyway :)  I for one think Mr. Ballard and the Colts will be just fine!!!  Go  :blueshoe:  :blueshoe:  :blueshoe: !!!!!

You have to get them outta the draft in lower rounds,there are always good quality backs there,but you gotta find them,look at some of the better ones in the league,they are the ones that were overlooked

I am not going to go straight up and compare Ballard to the longevity and excellence of Walter Payton.  That indeed was a storied career. Payton's career took me from 5th grade through college and provided years of 'sweetness.' :)

One thing that is similar is that neither Ballard or Payton were 'world beaters' in their first year.  Jay mentions Ballard's numbers above, and they were actually better than Payton's first year when he struggled as the Bears continued to find someone to replace the legendary number 40....Gale Sayers.  Payton finished 1975 with 679 yards rushing.  Bears fans at that time thought Peyton was too slow (He could not carry Gale Sayer's luggage  :funny:) !!!!  Some of our fans have said that about Ballard on his speed.  I for one love his 'burst' to the line of scrimmage.

That is where those comparisons stop for me, but the first year is pretty similar.  Ballard gave the Colts everything he had in 'flying' through the air for one of the exciting moments of 2012.  He churned for extra yards....love the way he kept moving north and south.

All of this said, he has a lot to learn. Ballard's pass blocking needs upgraded as well as passing catching skills, and once we have a better line maybe a better understanding of 'hitting the hole' behind hopefully more solid blocking.(It has to happen :))

Vick Ballard needs to be himself and nobody else....and he will be just fine.  Until he throws for 8 TD passes, kicks 'some' extra points, rushes for 16,726 yards and goes for 21,803 All Purpose yards......like his 'sweetness Sir Walter accomplished anyway :)  I for one think Mr. Ballard and the Colts will be just fine!!!  Go  :blueshoe:  :blueshoe:  :blueshoe: !!!!!

Lol im with ya ,i know hes not W.P. that was built over years,what i was trying to entail was the north and south,and I think this kid has the toughness and durability,and agree on the need to become a better reciever,as well as pass blocker,i just believe the talent is there

I like Ballard too, and I really do think his beginnings resemble a young Walter Payton.....you just never know.  Payton's first year was not as good as Ballards, and Chicago thought they had a bust....1300 plus yard the next year followed by HOF credentials......one of the best ever!!

You're a spicy little hot tomale,...aren't you?

I am not even sure where to begin with that.

But I do look at your contributions so far to the forum - Andrew Luck's body type, dead players who have been gone for at least 10 years, and now wanting Stephen Jackson - and I kinda laugh a little on the inside.

He's a good between the tackles guy and I personally think he's a 300 carry back. Power runner who always come up with clutch runs. 

That being said, I still think that we need to get a more "finesse" back in the draft to compliment his power running style.

I am not even sure where to begin with that.

But I do look at your contributions so far to the forum - Andrew Luck's body type, dead players who have been gone for at least 10 years, and now wanting Stephen Jackson - and I kinda laugh a little on the inside.

That's quite funny coming from you.You've contributed NOTHING of value,other than snid comments/feedback.I guess...i'll never be as great,insightful or though provoking as the ONE AND ONLY  jsomin'somthin'skknz.

I like Ballard but wow Walter Payton. This kid needs to make a pro bowl and all pro team first. He's started well, that's as far as I'm going.

Your reading to much in to the comment my freind,similar styles is all that was meant,in no way is Ballard a hall of famer,but im saying that he has talent,time will tell

He's still comparing running styles to a HOF player. Lots of RBs have played in the NFL that were good in between Payton & Ballard.

So what? He used a valid comparison. If Ballard played behind that Bears O-line he'd put up 1,200 yards as well.

He's still comparing running styles to a HOF player. Lots of RBs have played in the NFL that were good in between Payton & Ballard.

Look you dont get it,W.P. stands alone,mearly a comparison in styles,It took W.P a whole career to make the mark he did,get real,instead of stirring

Ballards good, he runs with power, hopefully his fumbles are behind him but his stats are inflated because he was not sharing the load very much after Brown went down, they were very even in yards before that, Brown even had a little more, I can see Ballard being our primary back, no doubt in my mind he can be a 300 or so carry Back but same with Donald Brown plus Brown brings something you cant teach, speed, I expect both of there visions to improve when the O Line is fixed

Ballards good, he runs with power, hopefully his fumbles are behind him but his stats are inflated because he was not sharing the load very much after Brown went down, they were very even in yards before that, Brown even had a little more, I can see Ballard being our primary back, no doubt in my mind he can be a 300 or so carry Back but same with Donald Brown plus Brown brings something you cant teach, speed, I expect both of there visions to improve when the O Line is fixed

No way Brown can be a 300 carry back. He's been injured almost every season and hasn't eclipsed 150 carries yet, let alone 300. 

Might not be but he is not a FA til the end of 2013, I personally hope if we dont get a presentable O Line before then that he gets released and goes to a team with a good O Line where he can start there so he can show what he can do