Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Offense play calling questions!

turner46992

We all have heard Pep Hamilton coming in and being the OC this next season, he has also said he will bring some West Coast Offense to the colts offense, by making short passes with high completion. Im not really aware all that much of the west coast offense, From what I thought was west coast was more power running and qb draws. So my questions are 1. Do we not bomb the ball 40 yrds down to Ty or Wayne anymore with this system? I honestly liked stretching the field just didnt like how often we did it. 2. If this offense is more of a power run and short passes, wouldnt be that much harder to get 1st downs? 3. Does anyone think Pep Might use a hybrid west coast Offense with our current offense, so its not that much change but what he implies with the west coast setting? Sorry if this post seem a bit ignorant I just really dont get the west coast Offense 

1. Your Deep passes will still be there. Even on PA Passes.

2. No. A slant is a 5 Yard route. Do that twice, there's your 1st down. You're thinking extremely short routes. The offense is Ins, Outs, Curls, Etc. Etc.

3. Possible. But I see us be dominalty WCO

And if you don't know much about the WCO. Watch a Stanford Game when Luck, Fleener & Whalen were there. I'm sure it's somewhere on this Wonderful World of the Internet. You should be able to find a Game with them. Nothing wrong with you not understanding how it works. Hope this helps you a bit

After reading an article about him on Colts.com, regarding his RB's getting 1200-1500 yards, I would bet a dozen donuts we grab another RB for next year to complement Ballard.

It's gonna be the RB from PITT. Forgot his name. The one they interviewed at the Shrine Game

Found this article and 10 minute video from Luck / Standford vs Notre Dame... this should give you a good feel of what Hamilton will try and bring...

I say try... Standford had a Great Oline.. and Good RB's / FB.. our first priority is Oline... Hamilton likes them bid and able to push...

Looking forward to the new Offense dircetion.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1496404-how-pep-hamilton-will-change-the-colts-offense

Go Colts/ Chuck Strong

i would draft stepfan taylor from stanford! familiar in offense and not a bad runningback either.

You know that Vick Ballard guy did pretty well for us this year... and we have another former 1st round pick in Donald Brown. Maybe we should turn our focus to another area of the draft that can help our terrible defense?

You know that Vick Ballard guy did pretty well for us this year... and we have another former 1st round pick in Donald Brown. Maybe we should turn our focus to another area of the draft that can help our terrible defense?

Novel idea! Fix the o line a little bit and that WCO will run like a Ferrari.

BTW, in retrospect our D wasn't too bad by the end of the season. Yes, the Chiefs ran it down our throats but only scored one TD. Same with the Titans and Texans in both games.

And so far, we held the Ravens to the least points in their three playoff games. Not too shabby.

Found this article and 10 minute video from Luck / Standford vs Notre Dame... this should give you a good feel of what Hamilton will try and bring...

I say try... Standford had a Great Oline.. and Good RB's / FB.. our first priority is Oline... Hamilton likes them bid and able to push...

Looking forward to the new Offense dircetion.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1496404-how-pep-hamilton-will-change-the-colts-offense

Go Colts/ Chuck Strong

Shouldn't be a problem. I think Pep will utilize our strenghts; hopefully a great o-line as well, and great receivers! Stanford didn't have a lot at that position and look at the effenciency!

Aaron Rodgers had no running game or o-line, he still perfomed! I am a firm believer that Andrew will see his perfomance take a huge step next season!

I am really hoping for some versatility with Pep's WCO. We don't have the right personnel at this time to run it the same way Stanford did. That doesn't necessarily have to be an issue because we will most likely tailor our plan to fit our strengths. Also, we will be able to grab some guys this offseason to help things run smoothly.

My biggest fear with this is that we start a roster rebuild a year late and find ourselves in need of 2 bigger receivers and a fullback... my hope is that we can utilize T.Y's speed in PA and use Allen as the H back... it concerns me a bit because I remember Pagano talking about using a FB before the season began. I don't want us to be trying to fit square pegs in round holes in order to recreate Luck's success at Stanford. I do not want to be one of those teams that gets down by 2 TDs and still goes for the underneath pass between the hashmarks while time ticks away... I don't want to lose our heart and killer instinct on Offense.

I am optimistic that we will see improvement in efficiency next season, which is good because we lacked it this year. I have seen the videos of Luck hitting Fleener and Whalen with bombs in college and I would love to see us running on all cylinders like that. I am holding out hope that we can can run the WCO with success, but there are too many unknowns for me to be completely comfortable with the change until I know more about how we (specifically) will run it.