Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

" Honey Badger " at the senior bowl

betheafan41

Honey Badger Mathieu is at the senior bowl practicing, attempting to repair his image for NFL scouts. He was quoted in saying his " honey badger days " came to an end when he messed up at LSU and would like to start over, but understands he hurt himself and put himself in this position and also understands the skepticism by NFL teams because of his off field issues in the past year an a half.

Me personaly, i think we should take a chance with him. we need secondary help and i think if anyone can set him straight and keep him there, it would be pagano and manusky. he was decent in college, and if im not mistaken was also a ST guy. doesnt hurt to have that extra returner incase another one gets hurt. Chances are he could fall down to a late 4th round pick if not well into the third day of the draft., BUT even if we have him as a nickel back, i believe he will still make our secondary better then it was these past two seasons. and the thing about this type of pick is, the NFL team who drafts him has leverage on his contract.  

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/college-football/news/20130121/senior-bowl-tyrann-mathieu.ap/?sct=hp_t2_a14&eref=sihp

Like I said in the other threads, it's a low-risk high-reward pick. At the best he'll be a ball-hawking nickel corner that's a huge threat in the return game, at the least he'd be a waste of a late round pick. At of all the players available in the 4th, 5th round, he'll have the most upside.

Agreed, if he wound up not being drafted, then bring him in if possible but I would rather have Rhodes, Elam or Vaccaro.  Not to mention that we still have FA, why risk the pick when we could used it for some of our holes in the line or back-ups for the line

no one is suggesting honey badger in the 1st.  How about we get Rhodes, Elam, or Vaccaro AND The Honey Badger

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Thread of the Week

• Topics

• That's fair.   So, let's say AR pans out - are we serious Super Bowl contenders then? As the roster is right now, with a high-level AR?   I don't think so. I think our roster - disregarding the QB - is a ways behind other contenders. And even worse, I think the roster is just built wrong. This year Ballard has spent a lot of money making sure our defense can defend the run while everyone else are building to stop the passing game. Everything Ballard does is just contradictory to what works in the modern NFL.   So what about the other 9 guys I mentioned?   Wilkins would've been a Buckner level DT to seriously improve the pass rush up the middle. Huff had at least 28% more pressures than ANY of our guys (Buckner highest) while playing 161 FEWER pass rush snaps. And he was signed for a hair over $17m/year and you have "no idea why I'd think Ballard should have considered the 4 big name players who Ballard didn’t pursue"?   Do you think Geno Stone and Frankie Luvu are "bright lights"? I think they are affordable players who would improve this roster in areas of weakness. Same with the other 7 affordable guys I mentioned. The times the McLeod signings work out are so far between it's laughable, but the few who do workout somehow always make people forget the tens of 1 year jags he signs that don't.   We do know, but we also all see the results and that's what people want to see change.   I respect your opinion on this and I don't want to come off as harsh towards you (or anyone else). 👍  But I very much disagree that what Ballard is doing is working.
    • Kind of my own assessment as well with this year's RB Class.  What one lacks another has and so on. Not one complete back and maybe one worthy of being drafted on Day 2, none on Day 1. 
    • I think this is probably deserving of it's own thread, but I'll leave this initial response here. I'm happy to continue the conversation in another thread.   There are a couple of pertinent details that I don't think you're considering.   First, signing bonuses are due upon signing. They aren't necessarily paid upon signing. This article suggests signing bonuses can be paid over the course of 12-18 months. Some signing bonuses are paid in installments. So just because a player contract includes a $20m signing bonus doesn't mean the team is paying the player $20m the day he signs; the player might not receive that $20m for several months, a year, or longer. The pay dates for signing bonuses are almost never reported.   Second, a more comprehensive look at the contracts you mentioned would include roster bonuses. For example, while Buckner's contract did not include a signing bonus, it did include an $11m roster bonus. Spotrac shows the roster bonus was due to be paid on 3/20/2020, which was four days after Buckner's contract was signed. For cash flow purposes, there isn't necessarily a difference. (Ryan Kelly, $10m roster bonus; Kenny Moore, $8m; Mo Alie-Cox, $5.1m.)   Take a closer look at this. Buckner signed a four year extension for $84m, on top of his 5th year option, for a total value of five years, $96.4m. No signing bonus, but the $11m roster bonus, plus a base salary of $12.4m in 2020. The total cash paid to Buckner in the first year was $23.4m. The same day the Colts signed Buckner, the Niners signed Arik Armstead. His contract was five years, $85m, and included a $17.5m signing bonus (no details on the pay dates of the signing bonus). His base salary in 2020 was $2.5m. So the cash paid to Armstead in the first year was $20m, and that's assuming all of his signing bonus was paid out in 2020. In both cases, the Year 1 cash was about 24% of the total value of the contract.   Another example from the same year: Myles Garrett signed for five years, $125m, and his signing bonus and salary totaled $22m, less than 18% of the total value. The previous year, Frank Clark signed with the Chiefs for five years, $104m, with a $19m signing bonus, and a salary + incentives of $1.3m, totaling $20.3m in Year 1 cash, less than 20% of the total value.    There's also the funding rule, which requires that deferred money and fully guaranteed money is placed in escrow when the contract is signed, minus $15m. So if the Colts were offsetting lower signing bonuses with a higher percentage of guaranteed money, they would still need to fund the guaranteed money upfront. So there's really no cash flow benefit to the team; in fact, it would potentially cost the team more to fund the larger guarantees.    All of this put together, I don't think that the Colts are avoiding signing bonuses for cash flow reasons. I'm sure Irsay doesn't have the cash flow of the Rams or Broncos, etc., but I don't think the Colts are using contract structure to help cash flow. 
    • Nothing contradicts anything.   J’Ville if bad reckless spending and it got them one year of success out of 10.   No contradictions here.     As for Ballard, as he said at his year ender, the problem hasn’t been the FA spending or the roster.   The problem has been not being to get the quarterback right.  If Wentz had worked out, we wouldn’t be having this conversation.      I have no idea why you’d think Ballard should have considered the 4 big name players who Ballard didn’t pursue.   They went for HUGE money.   Ballard has zero interest in those guys.  As a fan who follows football closer than most I had zero interest in any of them.   And I had zero interest BEFORE they signed and it was expected they’d go for less.   I didn’t want them at most any price they would’ve wanted.    Of your longer list….  Frankie Luvu had some interest for me.  Maybe Geno stone.  Otherwise I believe there’s a list of safeties who are still available.   Remember Rodney McCloud?   Ballard signed him and he had perhaps the best year of his career.  Graded in the low 80’s for 1.7 mill.   That’s a Ballard signing.   People forget them.   They want bright lights and shiny new toys.     We should all know by now that’s not Ballard’s way.  
    • So spending to cover flaws works now? Seems to contradict you comment about the Jaguars.   To be clear, I don't want or expect Ballard to sign $35m/year players left and right. But there are plenty mid-range (pay-wise) guys who sign with other teams EVERY year that could've improved this roster.   This year OTOH: Frankie Luvu Sheldon Rankins Geno Stone Patrick Queen Jeremy Chinn Kevin Byard Jordan Fuller Sean Murphy-Bunting Kamren Curl   And several more expensive guys: Arik Armstead Christian Wilkins Bryce Huff Xavier McKinney Every year guys like these pass us by.
  • Members

• OhioColt

OhioColt 385

• Zoltan

Zoltan 3,102

• Solid84

Solid84 6,064

• Superman

Superman 20,074

Moderators
    • Hammer

Hammer 327