Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Is the Manning/Brady era beginning it's end?

Jules

It's not a knock on either QB too and I am not saying they can't do it either in their final years.

But, Super history is not overly kind to QBs once they reach 35/36 years old and most do not pull off the John Elway Cinderella story near his end either. And he had a guy named Terrell Davis who helped carry the load for him.

With today finally breaking the pattern of Manning/Brady/Ben reaching the SB from the AFC I am starring to wonder if the AFC might break open a little more from now on and new QBs and teams from the AFC start to reach the Super Bowl.

Manning will be 37 soon and Brady 36 next season too.

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not a knock on either QB too and I am not saying they can't do it either in their final years.

But, Super history is not overly kind to QBs once they reach 35/36 years old and most do not pull off the John Elway Cinderella story near his end either. And he had a guy named Terrell Davis who helped carry the load for him.

With today finally breaking the pattern of Manning/Brady/Ben reaching the SB from the AFC I am starring to wonder if the AFC might break open a little more from now on and new QBs and teams from the AFC start to reach the Super Bowl.

Manning will be 37 soon and Brady 36 next season too.

I believe you could be right! Opens the door for the Colts??? :thmup:  :td:

I think it's been slowly going down hill for a couple of years.  Aaron Rodgers and Eli Manning established themselves as being in Manning and Brady's class the past couple of years.  Don't get me wrong Brady and Peyton still lead the class in terms of the class of the NFL when it comes to QBs but Rodgers, Manning, and dare I say it Flacco have added themselves to the conversation as well. 

I think it's been slowly going down hill for a couple of years.  Aaron Rodgers and Eli Manning established themselves as being in Manning and Brady's class the past couple of years.  Don't get me wrong Brady and Peyton still lead the class in terms of the class of the NFL when it comes to QBs but Rodgers, Manning, and dare I say it Flacco have added themselves to the conversation as well. 

Agree. The rivalry has been sliding, heck we did not even get the dream AFC title game most wanted of Manning vs. Brady this year.

Eli needs to be more consistent but when his team is in the playoffs they can usually beat anyone.

Rodgers needs a better D though, for all the criticisms around the league in terms of defense, the Pack D often seems to blow it at times in the biggest games IMO. Look at the game vs. the Cards in 2009. This year in SF. Not saying Rodgers should not take any blame but often that GB D shows up badly in big games even if the Packers put up enough points to win. You saw it starting again this season in the final regular season game vs. the Vikings too.

I am not saying Brady and Manning CAN'T win another title. But, I feel as if the rivalry is fizzling as they age and the trend with NFL QBs also seems to be having more mobility now too.

^The Pack D is just often an epic failure, period lol. Whether Woodson is at safety or WR haha.

But, it's like where has the time gone? I can't believe Manning will be 37 next year and Brady 36. I remember like it was just yesterday and we were duking it out in the games of the year.......

Crazy.

I remember thinking Peyton was getting old when he turned 30. lmao

Agree. The rivalry has been sliding, heck we did not even get the dream AFC title game most wanted of Manning vs. Brady this year.

Eli needs to be more consistent but when his team is in the playoffs they can usually beat anyone.

Rodgers needs a better D though, for all the criticisms around the league in terms of defense, the Pack D often seems to blow it at times in the biggest games IMO. Look at the game vs. the Cards in 2009. This year in SF. Not saying Rodgers should not take any blame but often that GB D shows up badly in big games even if the Packers put up enough points to win. You saw it starting again this season in the final regular season game vs. the Vikings too.

I am not saying Brady and Manning CAN'T win another title. But, I feel as if the rivalry is fizzling as they age and the trend with NFL QBs also seems to be having more mobility now too.

The problem with Eli is that he is the most inconsistent QB in the NFL.  He can be horrible and great from game-to-game and in some cases from half-to-half. 

I think we would be re-missed if we didn't include Brees in this conversation.  To me the slide started when the Saints beat Peyton for a ring and then Rodgers really made it known it had started when he won the Super Bowl and then the MVP in back-to-back years. 

I was driving back after the game tonight and heard someone point out on the radio since starting 10-0 in the playoffs Brady is now just 6-7 in the playoffs and the host was saying this loss just does something to the Pats playoff mystique in his eyes.  He pointed out since his third Super Bowl win Brady is only 2-4 in AFC Title games or Super Bowls. 

As for Peyton.  I think most people view this year as kinda cementing what his legacy will ultimately be.  One like Favre.  He got to the big game and won it so he wont be knocked like a Kelly, Marino, or Tarkenton but he didn't win as many as people expected him too.  He was a great player but his teams under achieved in the playoffs. 

37-38 is the end of the line for QB's... just take it from there. I don't even want to think about how many years (10?) this franchise would have been set back if we kept Manning and resigned all the broken down players that were released. Yea , we would have had two first round picks for 3 years but Manning would have done enough go have us picking in the 20's. 

the packers d was bad because of the failed experiment of making woodson a safety. you dont take a HOFer and take him away from what made him a HOFer. thats like asking peyton or brady to go play RB

Not quite the same thing. Many corners finish their careers as safeties.

The problem with Eli is that he is the most inconsistent QB in the NFL.  He can be horrible and great from game-to-game and in some cases from half-to-half. 

I think we would be re-missed if we didn't include Brees in this conversation.  To me the slide started when the Saints beat Peyton for a ring and then Rodgers really made it known it had started when he won the Super Bowl and then the MVP in back-to-back years. 

I was driving back after the game tonight and heard someone point out on the radio since starting 10-0 in the playoffs Brady is now just 6-7 in the playoffs and the host was saying this loss just does something to the Pats playoff mystique in his eyes.  He pointed out since his third Super Bowl win Brady is only 2-4 in AFC Title games or Super Bowls. 

As for Peyton.  I think most people view this year as kinda cementing what his legacy will ultimately be.  One like Favre.  He got to the big game and won it so he wont be knocked like a Kelly, Marino, or Tarkenton but he didn't win as many as people expected him too.  He was a great player but his teams under achieved in the playoffs. 

Brees isn't getting any younger either but he is still going to be alive for a while IMO. But, with Payton back next year maybe they get sparked up for a run again for a while. The Saints D still sucks though and has work to do.

And yes it is interesting that the Saints beat the Colts in the SB and the last two times the Pats were there they lost to the Giants. And the Steelers lost to the Pack.

The AFC "elite" has not been so elite lately in the big games.

can you give examples because none come to mind

Woodson has done it at times for the Packers.

Injuries forced Marlin Jackson to be moved to safety in his last failed comeback attempt.

The Pats are doing that now with Devin McCourty. 

Several other examples have been listed.  Rodney Harrison also did this. 

Safeties generally don't need as much speed as corners do because they are deeper and aren't having to keep up with a WR all game.  So that's why you see corners move as their speed fades. 

Yes.

I almost forgot. There is a team from Houston too who has been knocking on the door lately as well. ;) They still have the pieces. :) Maybe we will develop a rivalry in the AFC South now, heck I am sure the Texans can't wait to get us in Houston again after us beating them in in Indy again.

I don't see the moxie and do or die mentality with either QB in recent playoff games either. The Ravens had more passion and fire then either the Broncos or Patriots had. Flacco seemed more inspiring to me then Brady or Manning. FLACCO.

I almost forgot. There is a team from Houston too who has been knocking on the door lately as well. ;) They still have the pieces. :) Maybe we will develop a rivalry in the AFC South now, heck I am sure the Texans can't wait to get us in Houston again after us beating them in in Indy again.

You bet they can't wait. ;) The AFC South is going to start getting the attention it deserves again. A rivalry is definitely to be expected, and don't count out one with the Titans and Locker too though. I see a team representing the South in the big game within the next three years. I hope so, anyway haha.

IMO, the legacy of the Pats and Brady as it stands right now is that they will be remembered as much for the titles they didn't win as they will for the titles that they did win.  Unfortunately, the ones that they did win still have the shadow of Spygate looming over them because they haven't been able to win it all since.

And yes I think the Manning/Brady era is drawing to a close but it's not over yet.  They both still have time to add to their legacy.  Brady has a little more time left than Peyton though. 

You bet they can't wait. ;) The AFC South is going to start getting the attention it deserves again. A rivalry is definitely to be expected, and don't count out one with the Titans and Locker too though. I see a team representing the South in the big game within the next three years. I hope so, anyway haha.

lol an AFC Southie is soooooo due to get back again soon. I think.

Hey at least we can see how both our teams match up with the 49ers next season. We have to go to SF too. Ugh.

lol an AFC Southie is soooooo due to get back again soon. I think.

Hey at least we can see how both our teams match up with the 49ers next season. We have to go to SF too. Ugh.

Well that sounds fun... :bored: Really football gods...really? And they won't just be the 49ers next year either..I'm sure they'll be hailed as the defending champ San Francisco 49ers. Should be a real test.

Woodson has done it at times for the Packers.

Injuries forced Marlin Jackson to be moved to safety in his last failed comeback attempt.

The Pats are doing that now with Devin McCourty. 

Several other examples have been listed.  Rodney Harrison also did this. 

Safeties generally don't need as much speed as corners do because they are deeper and aren't having to keep up with a WR all game.  So that's why you see corners move as their speed fades. 

I think all the names I've seen in this thread so far are valid in the corner to safety conversion, except one.

I don't believe Rodney Harrison is a candidate.   I think he came into the league as a Safety for San Diego.   Was eventually let go by the Chargers and picked up and played the rest of his career as a Safety for New England.

That's my memory at least.    Never a corner.    Only a Safety.     (of course, I've written this post with double checking...  always dangerous!)

Brees isn't getting any younger either but he is still going to be alive for a while IMO. But, with Payton back next year maybe they get sparked up for a run again for a while. The Saints D still sucks though and has work to do.

And yes it is interesting that the Saints beat the Colts in the SB and the last two times the Pats were there they lost to the Giants. And the Steelers lost to the Pack.

The AFC "elite" has not been so elite lately in the big games.

Precisely, unless Manning wins a Playoff game next year in a convincing fashion, #18's career will be set in stone as a 1 time SB Champion. The only way Peyton will win another ring is multiple RBs who can all play excellent pass protection & get 4-5 yards on the ground to set up the play action pass. 

It's funny how the NFC fluctuates in the 80's the 49ers dominated, in the early 90's it was the Cowboys, by 2000 NE began to take over & now the pendulum is swinging back to the NFC with the Saints SB win in 2009 & the NY Giants in 2012. The 49ers are due again. 

The Brady vs Manning rivalry is dead now. Look to Luck, Rodgers, Kaepernick, & RG3 now...We are undergoing a changing of the QB guard now...

4657464568_c668a7b562.jpg

I'm looking forward to a tight division battle with the Texans over the next 4-5 years. The Titans & the Jaguars do not scare me in the slightest. I respect the Texans though. They had a darn good year & I want a foe in the AFC South that can hang toe to toe with the Colts. Matt Schaub did win a playoff game this year, but your team needs more monsters on defense other than JJ Watt. Brian Cushing returning will be nice to see. Nice pieces in Houston & yes they are a rival, but that team is tough & they showed me something this year. 

Hey QiuzBoy, do my eyes deceive me or do you have a new avatar picture with WR Reggie Wayne in it? Interesting...I just don't want you to take any heat or friction among Houston Texans fans buddy. Are you switching AFC South team allegiances now? haha Just Kidding!!!

Welcome to the Blue Horseshoe, good side QuizBoy! Glad to welcome you aboard the Lucas Oil Stadium faithful... Only Teasing of course...

Hey QiuzBoy, do my eyes deceive me or do you have a new avatar picture with WR Reggie Wayne in it? Interesting...I just don't want you to take any heat or friction among Houston Texans fans buddy. Are you switching AFC South team allegiances now? haha Just Kidding!!!

Welcome to the Blue Horseshoe, good side QuizBoy! Glad to welcome you aboard the Lucas Oil Stadium faithful... Only Teasing of course...

Yeah I opened my mouth too much and got stuck with it. I'd much rather have #80 from that team down south, but Wayne will have to do for now. haha

Both players are on teams in divisions that totally blow. By virtue of that alone, they'll both make the playoffs next season. Again.

Beyond that, it depends on which team gets hot and/or lucky come playoff time. Plus, it's all about matchups. The Broncos got jobbed by the zebras four times* and it took a third laughably awful secondary blunder to even send it to OT. However, I don't think Denver would have defeated NE. Denver doesn't match up well against those TE's at all....although with Gronk out who knows?

-First INT was PI. Led to 7 directly.

-Fumble was a tuck. Led to 7.

-PI on Bailey wasn't PI. Led to 7.

-Incomplete pass ruled a pass. Ravens punted on that drive.

Yeah I opened my mouth too much and got stuck with it. I'd much rather have #80 from that team down south, but Wayne will have to do for now. haha

Texans HC Gary Kubiak probably put you on a reconnaissance mission to retrieve information on the Colts offense back to your DC Wade Phillips...You sneaky, little devil double agent QuizBoy.  :lol:  :thmup:

Sun Tzu "The Art Of War." "Keep your friends close & your enemies closer." Smart move actually...Monitor all Colts Forum traffic, lull INDY into a false sense of trust & security then infiltrate the Colts organization from top to bottom. Kudos QuizBoy!

Author Tom Clancy will write a world famous novel about it & Paramount Pictures will own the motion picture movie rights to it in 4 years.  :funny:  lmao

41bIqhcd1JL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Both players are on teams in divisions that totally blow. By virtue of that alone, they'll both make the playoffs next season. Again.

Beyond that, it depends on which team gets hot and/or lucky come playoff time. Plus, it's all about matchups. The Broncos got jobbed by the zebras four times* and it took a third laughably awful secondary blunder to even send it to OT. However, I don't think Denver would have defeated NE. Denver doesn't match up well against those TE's at all....although with Gronk out who knows?

-First INT was PI. Led to 7 directly.

-Fumble was a tuck. Led to 7.

-PI on Bailey wasn't PI. Led to 7.

-Incomplete pass ruled a pass. Ravens punted on that drive.

I was one of the harshest critics when it came to Denver beating NE but after today I might have changed my tune a bit. I feel possibly with some rust knocked off of Manning (I never love him coming off a bye no matter what anyone says-I get bad vibes from the past.....) and better weather they could have taken a Gronk-less Pats team who would have had a long flight out there.

Not written in stone but I honestly think Denver might have done it at home with a trip to the big one on the line. Brady tends to be shakier in AFC title games then the divisional too.

But, it was the Ravens time.

I think all the names I've seen in this thread so far are valid in the corner to safety conversion, except one.

I don't believe Rodney Harrison is a candidate.   I think he came into the league as a Safety for San Diego.   Was eventually let go by the Chargers and picked up and played the rest of his career as a Safety for New England.

That's my memory at least.    Never a corner.    Only a Safety.     (of course, I've written this post with double checking...  always dangerous!)

He played some corner

http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/news-photo/corner-back-rodney-harrison-of-the-san-diego-chargers-news-photo/225718

best I can find but it's hard to find proof from 1995. 

Precisely, unless Manning wins a Playoff game next year in a convincing fashion, #18's career will be set in stone as a 1 time SB Champion. The only way Peyton will win another ring is multiple RBs who can all play excellent pass protection & get 4-5 yards on the ground to set up the play action pass. 

It's funny how the NFC fluctuates in the 80's the 49ers dominated, in the early 90's it was the Cowboys, by 2000 NE began to take over & now the pendulum is swinging back to the NFC with the Saints SB win in 2009 & the NY Giants in 2012. The 49ers are due again. 

The Brady vs Manning rivalry is dead now. Look to Luck, Rodgers, Kaepernick, & RG3 now...We are undergoing a changing of the QB guard now...

4657464568_c668a7b562.jpg

That's why I said like Favre.  Both men are 1-1 in Super Bowls.  It's a step above guys like Marino, Tarkenton, and Kelly but it's below guys like Montana. 

I was one of the harshest critics when it came to Denver beating NE but after today I might have changed my tune a bit. I feel possibly with some rust knocked off of Manning (I never love him coming off a bye no matter what anyone says-I get bad vibes from the past.....) and better weather they could have taken a Gronk-less Pats team who would have had a long flight out there.

Not written in stone but I honestly think Denver might have done it at home with a trip to the big one on the line. Brady tends to be shakier in AFC title games then the divisional too.

But, it was the Ravens time.

Pats would have crushed Denver. Peyton Manning is the worst playoff QB of all time. Brady is 5-2 all time in the AFC game, that is shaky? ok.