Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ryan Grigson "Nathan Palmer is as explosive of a receiver we got"

Dark Superman

Per Rotoworld.

Colts GM Ryan Grigson called WR Nathan Palmer "about as explosive a receiver we have."

It's high praise with T.Y. Hilton on the roster. Palmer was plucked off the 49ers' practice squad in September and appeared in five games, registering just one catch. At 5-foot-11, 195, he caught 47 passes for 695 yards and seven touchdowns as a senior at Northern Illinois in 2011. With Donnie Avery and Austin Collie set for free agency, Palmer will compete for an increased role in 2013.

Source: colts.com Jan 19 - 6:39 PM

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, does this mean we're letting Avery go??

Reggie Wayne, TY Hilton, Griff Whalen, LaVon Brazill, Nathan Palmer, & Sambrano (On the Future Reserve list)????

I like that WR Core honestly

NO WAY...DUDE!I'm not comfortable with that AT ALL!If we go into 2013 with that heap of craptastic WR CORE,i'm not gonna' be happy.We need edelman...like ASAP!!!

NO WAY...DUDE!I'm not comfortable with that AT ALL!If we go into 2013 with that heap of craptastic WR CORE,i'm not gonna' be happy.We need edelman...like ASAP!!!

Seriously? Lot of those guys were rookies. With a rookie qb, who happened to break a bunch of passing records. Our young wr and te core will only continue to get better

Per Rotoworld.

Colts GM Ryan Grigson called WR Nathan Palmer "about as explosive a receiver we have."

It's high praise with T.Y. Hilton on the roster. Palmer was plucked off the 49ers' practice squad in September and appeared in five games, registering just one catch. At 5-foot-11, 195, he caught 47 passes for 695 yards and seven touchdowns as a senior at Northern Illinois in 2011. With Donnie Avery and Austin Collie set for free agency, Palmer will compete for an increased role in 2013.

Source: colts.com Jan 19 - 6:39 PM

This is exactly what I was pointing to in the TY thread. I called this yesterday.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Avery let go due to Palmers potential. I think he can be a very good RAC guy on short routes and screens in the west coast offense as well as a weapon on intermediate crossing routes.

I was dissapointed with Avery late in the season last year, but I wouldn't be totally shocked

if they still had a role for him in this scheme. We'll see......

This is exactly what I was pointing to in the TY thread. I called this yesterday.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Avery let go due to Palmers potential. Although I wouldn't totally shocked

if they still had a role for Avery as well. We'll see.

He cost to much to back up my boys Hilton and brazil ;)

So, does this mean we're letting Avery go??

Reggie Wayne, TY Hilton, Griff Whalen, LaVon Brazill, Nathan Palmer, & Sambrano (On the Future Reserve list)????

I like that WR Core honestly

I didn't know we got Sambrano back, cool.  Yeah, I could live with that group.  

I know it's a long shot, but we still have Austin on the team too.

Seriously? Lot of those guys were rookies. With a rookie qb, who happened to break a bunch of passing records. Our young wr and te core will only continue to get better

I'm going entirely on WR'S(not including TE'S).Yes,wayne and hilton are solid,but after that its FUZZY(WHALEN'S HEATH),and we know nothing about the rest of the smurfs.

I'd like to see us bring Collie back.  We have a lot of speed on the team, but I'd like to see us have another solid route runner like we have in Wayne.

Collies situation is very iffy. We all love him, and he is certainly a weapon but he is not very durable.

I don't know how sound it would be to write that pay check. He's starting to get on Bob Sanders level with the injuries.

I didn't know we got Sambrano back, cool.  Yeah, I could live with that group.  

I know it's a long shot, but we still have Austin on the team too.

Well on here (Colts.com) the Roster said he's on the reserve/future list along with a few others.

And idk about Collie, everyone loves him... but we can't keep signing someone who's injured year in & out.

I'd love to keep him, but wouldn't surprise me if he didn't come back

I understand injuries happen but polian really screwed the pooch on some drafts. Gonzales, collie, hill? The other wr from oh. Pitcock, sweet pea burns, maybe a handful of guys worked out. And I mean on one hand. The rest either just sucked or injury plagued

I wouldn't be surprised to see Avery let go due to Palmers potential. I think he can be a very good RAC guy on short routes and screens in the west coast offense as well as a weapon on intermediate crossing routes.

I was dissapointed with Avery late in the season last year, but I wouldn't be totally shocked

if they still had a role for him in this scheme. We'll see......

Avery helped us get to 11-5.....he also had some key drops.  I am in no way slamming him, but I feel Brazill's development was stunted as well as Palmer.  I am VERY interested in the WR core with Pep coming in.  Is Whalen good enough to fill Collie's shoes?  FA?  Draft?  I really like our receivers....can Reggie keep up his productivity forever?  I wish!! :td:  :td:

So any big decisions.....boy I love the NFL!  Love it!   :)

Well on here (Colts.com) the Roster said he's on the reserve/future list along with a few others.

And idk about Collie, everyone loves him... but we can't keep signing someone who's injured year in & out.

I'd love to keep him, but wouldn't surprise me if he didn't come back

I know Sambrano was wowing the coaches, but that was when they were practicing in shorts.  Then they put him on IR for some reason?  And then, they released him from IR!  I didn't even know that was possible.

Apparently the Bucs picked him up, but must have released him at some point.  It does seem like we have a wealth of those types of WRs in TY, Brazil, and Avery (odd man out, IMHO).

Yeah, I'm also not expecting Collie to be on the team, but you can never tell.  I always think back to a great WR for the Jags named Jimmy Smith.  He was injured his first two years with the Cowboys and they gave up on him.

He can play multiple positions and formations.If we slide hilton outside,then edelman can play the slot,and return punts,if we believe hilton is too valuable to risk injury to special teams' play.He's a cheap player,with HUGE UPSIDE.

Why would we play Hilton outside? He's much more suited for the slot position.

Avery helped us get to 11-5.....he also had some key drops.  I am in no way slamming him, but I feel Brazill's development was stunted as well as Palmer.  I am VERY interested in the WR core with Pep coming in.  Is Whalen good enough to fill Collie's shoes?  FA?  Draft?  I really like our receivers....can Reggie keep up his productivity forever?  I wish!! :td:  :td:

So any big decisions.....boy I love the NFL!  Love it!   :)

I could see Whalen as a potential replacement for Collie. I wouldn't totally rule it out.

We'll see............

Last i recall, Edelman had health AND off the field issues.  That's not a good combination.  

Like most of you, I said Avery would not be back next season and it sure sounds like he won't.  Even though most of you think we are set at WR, I still think Grigson would grab a WR in the draft if the right one is there.  

I think hilton's growth potential is stunted in the slot,and he's just not big enough for it.He's much more dangerous on the outside,with quick screens in open field.

Umm, what? Typically the smaller receivers are in the slot position with the bigger, taller receiver on the outside.

EDIT: And Edelman is smaller than TY. Why would Edelman be suited better for the slot?

I know Sambrano was wowing the coaches, but that was when they were practicing in shorts.  Then they put him on IR for some reason?  And then, they released him from IR!  I didn't even know that was possible.

Apparently the Bucs picked him up, but must have released him at some point.  It does seem like we have a wealth of those types of WRs in TY, Brazil, and Avery (odd man out, IMHO).

Yeah, I'm also not expecting Collie to be on the team, but you can never tell.  I always think back to a great WR for the Jags named Jimmy Smith.  He was injured his first two years with the Cowboys and they gave up on him.

...and the Jags are just now (after all this time) finally getting a WR of his caliber in Blackmon.  That only took a decade.

Umm, what? Typically the smaller receivers are in the slot position with the bigger, taller receiver on the outside.

EDIT: And Edelman is smaller than TY. Why would Edelman be suited better for the slot

I don't think he(hilton)can take the punishment going over the middle.He's very similiar to avery(only better).

EDIT: And Edelman is smaller than TY. Why would Edelman be suited better for the slot?

Edelman is 5'10 and 198 lbs.  Hilton is 5' 9" and 183 lbs.

I could see Whalen as a potential replacement for Collie. I wouldn't totally rule it out.

We'll see............

Like it has been noted. a lot of unproven WRs.....I like Palmer BIG TIME!  I LOVE Austin Collie.....I hope he is given a shot here, but....I also wonder how he can keep on "keepin on."   :dunno:  :thinking: !!!!!  

With Reggie having limited time left and still showing incredible skills, I would not doubt in the least to see a NAME FA at WR......feeling it.....Like Gibbs on NCIS, my gut is right a lot!  :)  Been wrong before.....:)

Explosive is as good as your hands. Palmer looked scared to me and showe no hands. practice practice practice.

Avery did a great job showing he could play and he caught his share of inaccurate passes.

But he will get an offer that will make a cheap Palmer have a shot at next man up.

ASAP we will look for a Bigger WR who can get downfield AND be strong in the red zone.

A skill set like Roddy White as an example. Takes 2 -3 years to develope a top WR, chemistry and all.