Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Who should Chiefs pick #1

It doesn't matter who the Chiefs pick. The Football Gods conspire against the Chiefs. Even when the Chiefs got good, the injury bug did them in. As for Matt Cassel?... The Football Gods made him temporarily powerful in New England so the Chiefs would snap at the trade bait. It worked.

Chiefs are in major restructure mode, so I say trade the pick and stock up on mid tier talent. They'll need a lot more than one overpriced o-lineman to save them.

They have no option but to take a shot at a new QB. New head coach, new QB. Given the success of this formula the past few years, coupled with the fact that they have no one else behind center, it would not hurt to take a shot.

It doesn't matter who the Chiefs pick. The Football Gods conspire against the Chiefs. Even when the Chiefs got good, the injury bug did them in. As for Matt Cassel?... The Football Gods made him temporarily powerful in New England so the Chiefs would snap at the trade bait. It worked.

Chiefs are in major restructure mode, so I say trade the pick and stock up on mid tier talent. They'll need a lot more than one overpriced o-lineman to save them.

They don't need a major restructuring...they have a nice roster

Let's get this straight...THE CHIEF'S ARE NOT A BAD FOOTBALL!They merely need a QB(and a LT,if albert's services aren't retained).The chief's currently have EVERYTHING else in place,but a QB and if they obtain one(see my other comment on how they can get real good...real fast)...WATCH OUT!

They can run the ball well!Does anybody else remember the game where they procceeded to stuff the ball up all of our(colts) orficeses?I couldn't walk for a week,after that molestation.

UGH. I used to pick the Chiefs every year for the AFC in the early to mid 90's. They would go 12-4, 13-3, 11-15, win the division under Schottenhiemer and lose in the first round to a 9-7 team or worse. I'm pretty sure one of them was the '95 Colts. Chiefs always let me down ALWAYS. That's what they are meant to do!

So much facepalm in this thread. Let's do this.

Geno Smith isn't gonna help much. If you are expecting a RG3/Luck/Wilson type turn around for their team they you are mistaken.

The Chiefs are the most complete team in the league minus SF. Give them a good QB and coach and they will win. You sound like the people saying the Colts were about as good as an expansion team this year, knowing nothing about them except last years record, which was caused by QB play and coaching.

1st round: Luke Joeckel

2nd round: Tyler Wilson

Tyler is the consensus #2 QB in this draft, and my #1. He doesn't last to the second at all. And Joeckel is overrated. More on that later.

I see it as two options:

- Draft Luke Joeckel

- Trade out of the first overall pick, getting some solid players and future picks (I bet Arizona would love Joeckel on their team).

Or they could, ya know, draft the consensus best QB in the draft who happens to fit their WCO wonderfully? (No, not Barkley!)

Luke Joeckel is not worth the first pick. He is average athletically, strength wise, and pretty much in every other important category other than just technique. Basically he is further developed than other OTs in this draft, but not special anywhere else. Low ceiling, being driven up because people want him to be Long, or Clady, or Kalil, or Ferguson, etc. And as far as Arizona goes, they've gotta get Tyler Wilson if he's available. Big arm, Big Ben type mobility. He'd fit right into BAs offense.

That said, they would need to spend the rest (literally) of their picks on OL hoping for a gem, and they NEED to get some guys in free agency.

Trade down form the one pick. If they really want a QB they could always trade into the bottom of the 1st and grab Barkley  Geno Smith is going to bust hard.

I guarantee Geno will not bust if he goes to KC. He perfectly fits their scheme, and Reid is a QB guru.

Have you actually scouted him, or do you just not like him? Why do you think he's going to bust?

As for Barkley, he'd probably succeed in KC, too. So many weapons, an easy QB offense, good running game and OL, he'd feel like he was back at USC, colors and all. That being said he wouldn't be great, he'd just have an inflated completion %. (see RG3)

Draft Jarvis Jones and trade for Alex Smith and they are good to go.  
Sigh....

Jarvis is a great player, but you're an * if you think he could go #1 with the spinal stenosis that ended SD's LT's very good career at age 28.

I think, no, I know that KC fans want a new guy at QB. Not a stopgap. Not a veteran. A franchise guy. Smith would work in KC.

Also, this is my official told ya so post.

I called that Barkley wouldn't go #1 and win the Heisman. I was hounded for it. I was right.

And I called Miliner as the best CB in this draft. And said Mathieu definitely wasn't.

And... Sorry if I (I probably did...) came off as an *** in this post, but people on this forum can be pretty ignorant about the draft (not saying you guys are) and it builds up.

. I guarantee Geno will not bust if he goes to KC. He perfectly fits their scheme, and Reid is a QB guru. Have you actually scouted him, or do you just not like him? Why do you think he's going to bust? As for Barkley, he'd probably succeed in KC, too. So many weapons, an easy QB offense, good running game and OL, he'd feel like he was back at USC, colors and all. That being said he wouldn't be great, he'd just have an inflated completion %. (see RG3) \

If he went to KC he would more than likely be playing in the WCO and it doesn't help that he has trouble with his short accuracy passes. That right there is reason for concern.

His pocket presence really went down as the season progressed. From what I saw this season he tended to hold on and tap the ball in the much same way as Luck did. Not to mention that he stares down his receivers more than any of the other 2 major QBs coming out of this draft.

He tends to make late reads and relies purely on arm strength to force passes. In the NFL where the players are much faster, this is going to lead to more interception. Not to mention that he took almost every snap from the shotgun this year. When under pressure, he doesn't progress through his reads at all.

If he went to KC he would more than likely be playing in the WCO and it doesn't help that he has trouble with his short accuracy passes. That right there is reason for concern.

His pocket presence really went down as the season progressed. From what I saw this season he tended to hold on and tap the ball in the much same way as Luck did. Not to mention that he stares down his receivers more than any of the other 2 major QBs coming out of this draft.

He tends to make late reads and relies purely on arm strength to force passes. In the NFL where the players are much faster, this is going to lead to more interception. Not to mention that he took almost every snap from the shotgun this year. When under pressure, he doesn't progress through his reads at all.

He doesn't struggle with short passes. He sometimes struggled with medium passes, but deep and short were perfect.

Sigh.... Jarvis is a great player, but you're an * if you think he could go #1 with the spinal stenosis that ended SD's LT's very good career at age 28. I think, no, I know that KC fans want a new guy at QB. Not a stopgap. Not a veteran. A franchise guy. Smith would work in KC. 

Nobody thinks I'm an *.  Get it?  

All I'm trying to say is that KC needs an elite edge rusher.  Last time I checked it's one of the few things they don't have.   You say Jones shouldn't be number 1 because eventually he will have to retire early because of his condition but in the meantime he will be a force to be reckoned with?  You also think taking Geno Smith number 1 makes good sense?  Unless KC runs some kind of read option or college offense like these other guys do to make their QB comfortable, Smith will not be successful.    

Nobody thinks I'm an *. Get it?

All I'm trying to say is that KC needs an elite edge rusher. Last time I checked it's one of the few things they don't have. You say Jones shouldn't be number 1 because eventually he will have to retire early because of his condition but in the meantime he will be a force to be reckoned with? You also think taking Geno Smith number 1 makes good sense? Unless KC runs some kind of read option or college offense like these other guys do to make their QB comfortable, Smith will not be successful.

Then you might want to check again, man. That's the last thing they need.

UGH. I used to pick the Chiefs every year for the AFC in the early to mid 90's. They would go 12-4, 13-3, 11-15, win the division under Schottenhiemer and lose in the first round to a 9-7 team or worse. I'm pretty sure one of them was the '95 Colts. Chiefs always let me down ALWAYS. That's what they are meant to do!

Did you not realize who was quarterbacking for the Chiefs in the 90's?

Draft Joeckel in the 1st

and the best available QB in the 2nd.

and pick up the best QB they can find in free agency.

I don't htink there is going to be an easy way for them to solve this problem. They're going to need to take a hit before they can get their QB, because there is no sure thing in this year's draft.

Trade down...collect more picks and use addition picks to trade for cousins from washington(a team depleted of draft selections...FOR YEARS).They can still address team needs,with additcional picks(collected via trade down),and build around cousins.

With who is available at #1 (especially the lack of an elite QB) I don't know that any team is going to give up much for that #1 pick ... At least not anything even close to the bounty of picks given to trade up for RGIII or Julio Jones.

If I were the chiefs, I'd try to trade with the Eagles down to the #4 pick.  I'd try to get as many picks in the deal as I possibly could and get Nick Foles as well.  Granted Chip Kelly could change up his offense to suit a straight up pocket passer, and he recently gave an interview where he had high praise for Foles but that could have just been "Coach speak".  Geno Smith might be a perfect fit for his type of offense and they may be willing to move up to get him, especially if another team expresses interest in trading up.  

This allows the Chiefs to get a franchise qb (imo) in Foles, who Andy Reid drafted and was very high on, and they can still get another impact player at #4.  Factor in the additional picks they'd also receive and that would be a major win for the Chiefs.  

PIcking Geno Smith would be a typical Chiefs thing to do and they would have yet another failed attempt at grabbing a franchise QB.  Besides, it is being rumored that Barkley will ascend back to the top where he used to be, once the teams start talking to the players and pro days.  Now, I am not predicting Barkley will be taken by the Chiefs, but it may very well come into play.  

PIcking Geno Smith would be a typical Chiefs thing to do and they would have yet another failed attempt at grabbing a franchise QB.  Besides, it is being rumored that Barkley will ascend back to the top where he used to be, once the teams start talking to the players and pro days.  Now, I am not predicting Barkley will be taken by the Chiefs, but it may very well come into play.  

Mike Mayock....who I consider somewhere above the average media "draft expert" and below an actual NFL player personnel guy....predicts 3-4 QBs could go in the first round. 

With good workouts 1 or 2 of them just might jockey their way into the Top 10. Ya never know.....GMs get crazy overdrafting QBs some years. And the crippling signing bonuses they once faced are no longer there so they suffer less now if their guys busts.

I'm rooting for 3 to go in the Top 20....it can only help us. :)

Luke Joeckel OT Texas A&M

The QB class this year doesnt warrant a 1st overall pick. (Geno Smith) Chiefs would be better drafting best available QB/WR in 2nd round.

That would be a wasted pick.They aren't letting Branden Albert get away and they have Eric Winston on the other side. They have to pull the trigger on a quarterback. I think Geno Smith would best fit what Andy Reid wants to do. Andy Reid is a quarterbacks kind of guy. He made Donovan Mcnabb look good for years I think he and Geno would be great together.

Andy Reid is a quarterbacks kind of guy. He made Donovan Mcnabb look good for years I think he and Geno would be great together.

Don't forget that he revived Michael Vick's career...

I'm pretty sure he's going to draft Geno at #1, and it's the route that worked for him when he drafted McNabb, isn't it? One thing all these prospects are doing right now is working on their draft stock. Right now Geno Smith, along with other prospects are in a training facility getting ready for the Combine. Like years before this years draft, athletic QB's will make a jump up the boards (along with big arm guys). So with Geno predicted early first round, I think he may end up being a lock at #1 overall (Cam Newton ring a bell?) IMO. 

Don't forget that he revived Michael Vick's career...

I'm pretty sure he's going to draft Geno at #1, and it's the route that worked for him when he drafted McNabb, isn't it? One thing all these prospects are doing right now is working on their draft stock. Right now Geno Smith, along with other prospects are in a training facility getting ready for the Combine. Like years before this years draft, athletic QB's will make a jump up the boards (along with big arm guys). So with Geno predicted early first round, I think he may end up being a lock at #1 overall (Cam Newton ring a bell?) IMO. 

I am going to hope you didn't compare Cam Newton to Geno Smith. Also Geno Smith isn't that athletic at least not in the mold of an RG3, Griffin, Newton or Kaepernick.  Mike Glennon is already making a jump for big arm guys.

I am going to hope you didn't compare Cam Newton to Geno Smith. Also Geno Smith isn't that athletic at least not in the mold of an RG3, Griffin, Newton or Kaepernick.  Mike Glennon is already making a jump for big arm guys.

Did not compare Geno Smith to Cam Newton, simply put him in the athletic qb mold (He can run and throw). Look at Jake Locker; he was predicted #1 overall, had a down season, and then ended up going to Tennessee at 10. I am just saying that Geno fits the mold Andy Reid used when he drafted Donovan back in the day, and why he signed Michael Vick. The time from now until April will be used to help himself (Geno) get to that number one spot.