Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The Contract, if I were Peyton

armymark

Knowing there is no signed contract for Peyton right now, if I were a champion Like Peyton and had my legacy cemented as a sure fire Hall Of Fame contender. here is how I would work my contract #1 my pay for 5 years would be league minimum(My endorsements are worth more anyway)#2 I would have direct say in the personnel process. and I would stack a group of champion free agents around myself with the extra room in the salary cap we we saved I would then go onto win the next 3-5 superbowls and even further cement my legacy as the greatest of all time

Knowing there is no signed contract for Peyton right now, if I were a champion Like Peyton and had my legacy cemented as a sure fire Hall Of Fame contender. here is how I would work my contract #1 my pay for 5 years would be league minimum(My endorsements are worth more anyway)#2 I would have direct say in the personnel process. and I would stack a group of champion free agents around myself with the extra room in the salary cap we we saved I would then go onto win the next 3-5 superbowls and even further cement my legacy as the greatest of all time

Sorry, I don't think that's realistic. I have never known of a player to have a say in personnel processes, that is one of the reasons why we have coaches and a GM. There is also no way Peyton would take vet minimum, Irsay has already said Peyton will be the highest paid player in the history of the NFL. If your boss offers you $25 million a year, are you going to take $5 million each year? Free agents don't always work out; they may be a product of the system, they may lose their interest after getting a big paycheque, etc. Even still, there is no guarantee that the Colts win the next 3-5 Super Bowls unless the other 31 franchises fold.

Absolute nonsense.

If you were in Manning shoes you would be doing the exact samething - trying to get paid the highest salary in the league and rightfully so.

There is no surefire way to win Super Bowls, even adding a group of "champion" free agents.

And this last part I say with 100% sincerity - thank you for your service to our country.

Then he should enter the field each week on a unicorn.

I lol'ed...

With the way the Colts' luck was running last year, he probably would have mistakenly impaled Reggie Wayne on the horn or something like that.

On topic though... as fans it's easy to suggest that our favorite players make gigantic personal sacrifices for the "greater good." When you're the person on the flip side of that, obviously things are different.

Aside from that, if signing big-name free agents was the one and only way to win, then the Redskins would have racked up about a dozen titles by now. And it's not like the Colts are a bunch of slobs once you get past #18. He's played with at least a couple of future Hall of Fame guys, and currently still has Reggie Wayne, Dallas Clark, Dwight Freeney, etc...

If I were Peyton, I'd negotiate the biggest contract in NFL history, then spend most of it on Harry Potter's Invisibility Cloak. I'd then give it to Reggie on match day, to wear during the game.

Before you all slam me for being unrealistic, he used the same ploy in the Jets play-off loss last season.

It is not completely up to Peyton and it doesn't work that way. You have to consider the agents and industry standards and other QBs in the same position, other players with the same tenure and also the precedent it sets.

All of that must be considered, though I do understand the sentiment behind the original poster's line of thinking.

Plus, hasn't it been established in the past that much of Peyton's commercials and endorsements go to his foundation anyway?...so they aren't really personal income.

Well..........I sure hope the unicorn is still a possibility! :manning:

Sorry, I don't think that's realistic. I have never known of a player to have a say in personnel processes, that is one of the reasons why we have coaches and a GM. There is also no way Peyton would take vet minimum, Irsay has already said Peyton will be the highest paid player in the history of the NFL. If your boss offers you $25 million a year, are you going to take $5 million each year? Free agents don't always work out; they may be a product of the system, they may lose their interest after getting a big paycheque, etc. Even still, there is no guarantee that the Colts win the next 3-5 Super Bowls unless the other 31 franchises fold.

The original post is just full of crap. Anybody who says the same thing is full of crap.

Everyone would get fair market value if they were Manning. Sure some might give a discount, but nobody would cheap out like this.

To anybody who says they would do this does not know Manning is a union guy. Taking a contract like this would destroy the market for all QBs. Every GM with a QB ready to be signed would just point to Manning's contract and would say no way you get close to it. Which screws everyone to come after him and goes against who Peyton is.

It's a nice thought though, if each player took a little pay cut, and the ones that are over payed take a large pay cut or are cut altogether, we would be able to afford Nnamdi, Bradshaw, Cofield, Mebane, and Landry. What a splash that would be in FA, especially considering we never do anything in FA. I'm joking of course, but this would be what I would do in Madden, lol.

i know Peyton is the greatest of all time and I agree that he deserves every penny. no doubt about that, but if he wants to win another super bowl ring it would help if he takes a few dollars less. i mean he already earned more money then he possibly can spend in his life, he still will makes a lot of money through tv spots etc. just my two cents

its like saying the owners of Walmart have made more money than they could ever spend in a lifetime so they should give everything away for cost now. sounds nice but aint gonna happen. people are in a dream world if they think their favorite players would ever stay on their team because they love the city so much and just care about winning.

i know Peyton is the greatest of all time and I agree that he deserves every penny. no doubt about that, but if he wants to win another super bowl ring it would help if he takes a few dollars less. i mean he already earned more money then he possibly can spend in his life, he still will makes a lot of money through tv spots etc. just my two cents

I have given your thoughts on this careful consideration and have decided that it really could not be anymore off base.

1) There is no guarantee that taking less than a market value contract means Super Bowl success. Just ask Tom Brady.

2) As the top player in the league, Manning has a responsibility to other players in the league to max his contract. He is just not beholden to the Colts.

3) I find it absolutely comical when someone else, in this case a football message-boarder, decides that someone else has made enough money.

The NFLPA would never allow for that. Absolutely never.

its like saying the owners of Walmart have made more money than they could ever spend in a lifetime so they should give everything away for cost now. sounds nice but aint gonna happen. people are in a dream world if they think their favorite players would ever stay on their team because they love the city so much and just care about winning.

I know that if I was a star player for the Colts and had a bunch of endorsements I would play for the minimum possible. Now that's due to me having lived in Indiana my whole life and the Colts being my team, but I have to imagine that some players NFL have actually done this.

I know that if I was a star player for the Colts and had a bunch of endorsements I would play for the minimum possible. Now that's due to me having lived in Indiana my whole life and the Colts being my team, but I have to imagine that some players NFL have actually done this.

you say that now, as a life long fan. it might be a different story when you se how much work and punishment goes into being an NFL player, long hours, away from family, the possibility of your career ending on the next play. and then ad in th idea that some other guy with half your ability makes more than you.

i do sake my head at players who leave a good spot over a few hundred grand or a mil. but if you have the ability to be the highest paid player you would never take the vet min.

Only one poster has mentioned this but the NFLPA has to approve all contracts. Manning signing for anything close to the vet minimum would never get through all the red tape. Even if Manning wanted it to.

Glad that someone posted something that makes sense concerning Peyton's contract and the NFLPA. Thanks :FBshocked: