Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

How suited is the current Colts offensive roster to the West Coast offense?

RomanianColtsFan

By now it has been confirmed by Pep Hamilton that Colts will run a variation of the West Coast offense next season. The question is, do the Colts have the players on current roster to run the new offensive schemes?  I am asking this question to you because I believe it is pertinent and may generate a nice discussion.

Obviously it is safe to assume that Luck, Fleener and Whalen that come from Stanford offense are capable, but what about the others? From what I read the receivers need to have good hands and run crisp routes. I believe Reggie fits that mold but what about the others?

What kind of offensive line players do the Colts need? Is there a particular blocking scheme that needs to be implemented?  

Since I am not a football expert, just a fan, I'll leave it to the people on this board that know a lot more than I do.

Great question.  I'm not 100% sure there is a definitive WCO anymore, it seems to be a bunch of hybrids.  But by the standard definition, I think we're very well suited.

Of course, no matter what offense we run, our O-line has to be upgraded.  I'll be interested to see what others think too.

like Smonroe said, I think our skills guys will be fine. I think it will be more on our line. We all knew it was going to be addressed this off season but you can take it to the bank it WILL be. on the Colts page he said “It’ll be a variation of the West Coast,” said Hamilton. “(It will have) the West Coast principles, the short, efficient passing game, a high completion rate.” and that he likes to pound the ball. but I have full confidense he will be airing it out as well.

http://www.colts.com/news/article-1/HAMILTON-IN-WITH-COLTS/6d5385d9-0c77-4083-abc0-478a383f3d31

It's a short passing game. Give TY a Slant & I bet he'll take it from a 5yard gain.... to a 15 yarder. I can't wait to see Luck call the shots & get back to a system he's comfortable with. The Luck to Fleener duo may be resurrected in Indianapolis next year :yahoo:

But all of this will only be a Wish if that front 5 doesn't get improved this off-season.

I don't see any reason why the roster wouldn't work for the WCO....

The one concern we have is the exact same concern we'd have if Arians stayed and we were still running his offense -- namely, the offensive line.

So,  once Pep gets here and we know what we're going to run, they'll figure out with Grigson and his scouting team who fits the system and who doesn't....

Beyond that, I think most everyone else we have should work fine....

Reggie is perfect for a WCO.

Does anyone know what blocking scheme we'll use? And/or what Stanford uses?

And does Stanford use a FB?

I wouldn't mind a ZBS.

I'm pretty sure that Stanford runs man blocking. I believe that's what Pep plans to use this coming season. Not sure about the FB though...

I think there is a misnomer that the WCO lacks explosive vertical plays which is not the case. Look at teams like Green Bay or the aforementioned Eagles. If you have the horses, the WCO can be just as explosive. There are portions of the BA playbook that I would like to stick especially since Luck thrived on 3rd and long and the 2 minute drills.

Pep says:

“I enjoy watching our guys come off the ball, the guys up front trying to knock the opponent back. I’m a big believer of a power running game, running gap schemes,” said Hamilton. “I think that ultimately opens up your passing game. From play-action passes, you get opportunities to face one-high coverages, get free access outside on the perimeters.

“I want to be flexible schematically, just make sure we find ways to get the ball into our dynamic play-makers’ hands.”

“It’ll be a variation of the West Coast,” said Hamilton. “(It will have) the West Coast principles, the short, efficient passing game, a high completion rate.”

BA said in his press c. he had 6 home run plays on the sheet every week and he didn`t believe in coming home with any bullets.

Betcha Pep is very happy to know from DAY 1 he can put that on his sheet every week with Andrew.

This guy could have lots of nice input for the draft too.

I think we actually have alot of pieces to make a modified version of the Stanford WCO work.

1.) The QB - To me, and id say its obvious, Luck is talented and intelligent enough to probably run just about any offense you throw at him. The fact he already knows alot of the principles of the Stanford WCO just makes this even more doable.

2.) The TEs - We have 2 talented guys here and one of them already knows the system. Id say the fact Fleener is comfortable with Pep and that style of offense should actually help him be more productive in year 2. Allen already was adapting from a spread college offense and made a great transition to a pro-style offense so I dont worry about him making the transition to this new offense.

3.) The WRs - Wayne is a smart WR who runs great routes and has great hands. I cant see him not being able to fit into this offense. TY is an explosive player in the open field and actually ran pretty good routes this season so I think he should be fine adapting. I actually like Avery more in this type of offense than I did in Arians'.

4.) The O-line - The O-line simply doesnt have the talent regardless of the offense but the fact we'd be using a WCO offense which is dependent on quicker reads and more play action and roll outs should help the O-line. Adding talent is obviously the biggest thing that can be done to help the pass protection next season.

and as we all know.. Regardless of the system, we need upgrades on the OL

Exactly right.  Crisp and precise routes and timing passes.  Luck needs to release the ball as the receiver makes his break.  He cannot stare the receiver open like he did in BA's scheme.

Does anybody know what O schemes they ran at FIU and Ohio U.?

Exactly right.  Crisp and precise routes and timing passes.  Luck needs to release the ball as the receiver makes his break.  He cannot stare the receiver open like he did in BA's scheme.

Does anybody know what O schemes they ran at FIU and Ohio U.?

Luck did that more often then not do to the long routes that were ran

It doesn't matter how TY Hilton gets the ball because he can make any play a homerun, just get him the ball whether it's a slant, hitch, comeback, dig, fly routes it doesn't matter just get it to him. But there are still going to be taking their shots just more off play actions. But like Pep said already he is going to find ways to get the ball to his playmakers and let them make a play

Pep says:

“I enjoy watching our guys come off the ball, the guys up front trying to knock the opponent back. I’m a big believer of a power running game, running gap schemes,” said Hamilton. “I think that ultimately opens up your passing game. From play-action passes, you get opportunities to face one-high coverages, get free access outside on the perimeters.

“I want to be flexible schematically, just make sure we find ways to get the ball into our dynamic play-makers’ hands.”

“It’ll be a variation of the West Coast,” said Hamilton. “(It will have) the West Coast principles, the short, efficient passing game, a high completion rate.”

BA said in his press c. he had 6 home run plays on the sheet every week and he didn`t believe in coming home with any bullets.

Betcha Pep is very happy to know from DAY 1 he can put that on his sheet every week with Andrew.

This guy could have lots of nice input for the draft too.

Thanks for those quotes, BBS....    I found the story at the IndyStar website.... 

Well, I wanted a WCO for Luck and now we've got it....    I also wanted a veteran NFL OC with experience...  One of two will have to do!!    :thmup:

http://www.indystar.com/article/20130119/SPORTS03/130119011/New-Colts-offensive-coordinator-Pep-Hamilton-can-t-wait-get-started-

I saw that too. I think it was wrong since that was the only piece I could find that ever mentioned a zone blocking scheme and stanford

Being that Greg Roman was the OC recently, they probably are a Man blocking scheme. I for some reason thought they were zone, but I could be confused Oregon.

It doesn't matter how TY Hilton gets the ball because he can make any play a homerun, just get him the ball whether it's a slant, hitch, comeback, dig, fly routes it doesn't matter just get it to him. But there are still going to be taking their shots just more off play actions. But like Pep said already he is going to find ways to get the ball to his playmakers and let them make a play

I'm not sure what Florida International ran when he went there, but I remember seeing a lot of bubble screens and short passes.  I think he'll be fine.  From what we've seen this year, he is very dangerous in space.

Being that Greg Roman was the OC recently, they probably are a Man blocking scheme. I for some reason thought they were zone, but I could be confused Oregon.

Maybe Stanford ran both? watching this Rose Bowl game vs Wisconsin they look to run Man 

Maybe Stanford ran both? watching this Rose Bowl game vs Wisconsin they look to run Man

Pep told the IndyStar he believes in a power man running game, taking a joy of knocking the opponent back, and believes it opens up the play action more. So we heard it straight out of the horses mouth that we are going to be a power man blocking team

Pep told the IndyStar he believes in a power man running game, taking a joy of knocking the opponent back, and believes it opens up the play action more. So we heard it straight out of the horses mouth that we are going to be a power man blocking team

I wish he would have evaluated his O Line before he made that call, I dont think we hav anywhere near the personel for that

I wish he would have evaluated his O Line before he made that call, I dont think we hav anywhere near the personel for that

It a harder transition for a RB than it is a lineman.Still have to get a hat on a hat in the run game no matter what scheme it is for the run game to go. Just something we failed to do this past year. It's not that big of a difference to an offensive lineman to run either scheme. End of the day you still have to get a hat on a hat and sustain your block. Just need an upgrade at the line, some of the lineman we had this year simply had no business starting

Still have to get a hat on a hat in the run game no matter what scheme it is for the run game to go. Just something we failed to do this past year. It's not that big of a difference to an offensive lineman to run either scheme. End of the day you still have to get a hat on a hat and sustain your block

does not matter if you get a  hat on a hat if you get bullied when you do get a hat on a hat, our Guards many times got a hat on a hat (Satele spent a ton of time missing blocks completely at Center) they just got bullied backwards or got little push, Who I am hoping we have a shot to get is Travis Frederick, I think he would fit very well in our scheme...Take for example Vasquez currently Chargers Guard 39 bench press reps that to me If he is technically sound) says he can play in our scheme vs for example Joe Reitz benched 25 reps, thats not to say he could not do more or that BP reps are a great indicator of what scheme these guys will fit in but it does show that he cant last that long shoving a lot of weight around consistently which is what you need to be able to do one on one through a whole game....all just my opinion of course

does not matter if you get a hat on a hat if you get bullied when you do get a hat on a hat, our Guards many times got a hat on a hat (Satele spent a ton of time missing blocks completely at Center) they just got bullied backwards or got little push, Who I am hoping we have a shot to get is Travis Frederick, I think he would fit very well in our scheme...Take for example Vasquez currently Chargers Guard 39 bench press reps that to me If he is technically sound) says he can play in our scheme vs for example Joe Reitz benched 25 reps, thats not to say he could not do more or that BP reps are a great indicator of what scheme these guys will fit in but it does show that he cant last that long shoving a lot of weight around consistently which is what you need to be able to do one on one through a whole game....all just my opinion of course

That strength is huge when you go to hand check someone or just keep them pushed off you. Need the leg strength and core as well. If legs are week doesn't matter how much you can bench

That strength is huge when you go to hand check someone or just keep them pushed off you. Need the leg strength and core as well. If legs are week doesn't matter how much you can bench

So maybe Squat Press would more of an indicator?

Its important to have leg and upper body strength, but I would argue that leg strength is more important to an O-lineman than upper body strength. Must be able to drive the defender back and that takes leg strength. I don't think bench press is a good indicator at all in how an O-lineman is going to perform. JMO.