Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ed Reed to Indy?

He was GUSHING about Billichick today. It was basically a verbal tryout for the Patriots. The only thing he stopped short of was asking to sit next to Bill in the film room. He seems to really want to be there, and I imagine they will be interested, so I don't expect to see him come to town.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah I am an Ed Reed fan and all but if he goes to NE I am not sure I will be such an Ed Reed fan. lmao

But, I am not convinced the Pats can give him the money he wants and the whole "get your ring in NE" thing has lost it's luster over the years.......for obvious reasons. This is the last year of Brady's contract and they might not even be able to keep Welker or Tailb.

Not even sure if the Colts would have real interest too based on his age/cost and all but we just connect it due to Pagano/Reggie for fun.

Overall though, if Reed wants the Ravens to reconsider keeping him and coughing up more cash then talking up the Pats might help too. Personally I think he is meant to stay with the Ravens in the end but with the Flacco contract up soon he might not be able to I suppose......? Sounds to me like he is probably leaving Baltimore but everyone makes it sound like Reed won't be cheap either to sign.

The Ravens could have had Flacco back before last season at around 13m per or so...     They rolled the dice...

NOW..    Balt gets to play the franchise tag game or give their QB 20m per....      Great work Balt....

Reed will not be back.       IMO.   I honestly think it will be NE or Indy.

And Balt has a lot of other attractive FA's to go along with ED.    

I would not mind a bit of a "purple" influx into Indy..    

The Ravens could have had Flacco back before last season at around 13m per or so...     They rolled the dice...

NOW..    Balt gets to play the franchise tag game or give their QB 20m per....      Great work Balt....

Reed will not be back.       IMO.   I honestly think it will be NE or Indy.

And Balt has a lot of other attractive FA's to go along with ED.    

I would not mind a bit of a "purple" influx into Indy..  

Yeah, I won't be stunned if someone new from Baltimore ends up here with the Pagano connection. Those guys love Chuck too. Heck the interaction between Reed/Pagano before our playoff game alone was pretty lovey dovey.

And don't the Colts outside of the Bengals have the most money out of all the AFC playoff teams?

I have heard a lot of media fluffing in terms of guys going to NE/Denver to hitch on the ride since the window is closing there. But, how much can they afford? The Broncos have to pay Clady soon too and NE has Brady in a year (unless they let him go hehhhh) and Talib/Welker.

I could care less about signing 35-36 year olf DB's in the twi-light of their careers. I would be very upset if they used substantial cap room on him. I mean.. the franchise price for a safety is around 6.4 mill. So if you try to equate that figure with what you would expect Reed's playing level to be yet a year deeper in to this "twi-light " it would figure out to a pretty low number. I'm sure much lower than it would take to sign him. Unless you are big on intangibles and leadership , who ever signs him will probably be paying way too much.

I could care less about signing 35-36 year olf DB's in the twi-light of their careers. I would be very upset if they used substantial cap room on him. I mean.. the franchise price for a safety is around 6.4 mill. So if you try to equate that figure with what you would expect Reed's playing level to be yet a year deeper in to this "twi-light " it would figure out to a pretty low number. I'm sure much lower than it would take to sign him. Unless you are big on intangibles and leadership , who ever signs him will probably be paying way too much.

You might be right which is why I am hesitant now about us actually going for him. I do understand the Pagano connection so I will not count it out. But, there are other safeties in FA we can go after too if we want one.

He might not worth the price at this point. Revis is not worth the price to me too so I am not even considering that.

In terms of leadership though I  think we have enough on this team, even Luck to me is a true leader despite being young.

You might be right which is why I am hesitant now about us actually going for him. I do understand the Pagano connection so I will not count it out. But, there are other safeties in FA we can go after too if we want one.

He might not worth the price at this point. Revis is not worth the price to me too so I am not even considering that.

In terms of leadership though I  think we have enough on this team, even Luck to me is a true leader despite being young.

I also think maybe the right path might end up to look for O Line and or a Freeney replacement in free agency and draft safety help in the  3rd or 4th. You generally over pay for free agents and IMO don't do it on a guy at the end of his career.

I also think maybe the right path might end up to look for O Line and or a Freeney replacement in free agency and draft safety help in the  3rd or 4th. You generally over pay for free agents and IMO don't do it on a guy at the end of his career.

That sounds good too.

Honestly just as long as they look to shore up some holes (and they will) then I am happy.

I hear ya. 

I know!!

I am not usually one who is on the "lets get this old FA" train. But, he could be very valuable at times too against veteran QBs such as Peyton/Brady and I can already see him picking off Matt Schaub. Sigh.

I just hope his body doesn't fall apart.

And I am hesitant about NE having the money to be able to pay him.

Ughhhhhhh

Just do not go to NE Ed. do not join the dark side. Listen to Suggs!

He was GUSHING about Billichick today. It was basically a verbal tryout for the Patriots. The only thing he stopped short of was asking to sit next to Bill in the film room. He seems to really want to be there, and I imagine they will be interested, so I don't expect to see him come to town.

Meh, what is he supposed to say about a potential suitor? I didn't read too much into it

I wouldn't mind it at a very reasonable price. He could be a great mentor to our young players and I believe he still has a little bit in the tank. At worst he's a great leader in the clubhouse and on the field.

Hell be asking or top dollar. His name alone demands more than most. It wouldn't be worth the money or someone on the tail end of their career. Spend the money on the Lines and draft a safety. We have enough leadership.

Ed Reed 35 years old OR Jairus Byrd 26 years old???

Well of course if given the choice then go with byrd. However, what if byrd resigns or is tagged by buffalo? Im sure most here would agree that byrd or gholdson would be the preference, but if we cant get either of those guys then reed could be a stop gap upgrade for 2013, and maybe 2014...giving us time to find the eventual long term safety.

According to CBS' Jason La Canfora, "a lot of people believe" impending free agent Ed Reed will sign with the Colts.

Reed — who doesn't even have an agent — appears set to hire proper representation and hit the open market. Although Ravens owner Steve Bisciotti isn't certain Reed will even play in 2013, he admits it might not be in Baltimore if he does. Reed would be reuniting with coach Chuck Pagano in Indianapolis, who served as Baltimore's defensive coordinator from 2008-11. Safety was a major problem area for the Colts in 2012.

According to CBS' Jason La Canfora, "a lot of people believe" impending free agent Ed Reed will sign with the Colts.

Reed — who doesn't even have an agent — appears set to hire proper representation and hit the open market. Although Ravens owner Steve Bisciotti isn't certain Reed will even play in 2013, he admits it might not be in Baltimore if he does. Reed would be reuniting with coach Chuck Pagano in Indianapolis, who served as Baltimore's defensive coordinator from 2008-11. Safety was a major problem area for the Colts in 2012.

:woah:

Is this for real or is our name just being "used?"

Well, he is kinda old but he is Ed Reed. Super Champion Ed Reed. HOF safety Ed Reed.

And the Pagano/Wayne connections warm my heart. :excited:

I don't want to get my hopes up though. I just really like me some Ed Reed. :yahoo:

:woah:

Is this for real or is our name just being "used?"

Well, he is kinda old but he is Ed Reed. Super Champion Ed Reed. HOF safety Ed Reed.

And the Pagano/Wayne connections warm my heart. :excited:

I don't want to get my hopes up though. I just really like me some Ed Reed. :yahoo:

I'm probably dead wrong but I just can't get excited about using cap money here. 35 is pretty old for that position. 

I'm probably dead wrong but I just can't get excited about using cap money here. 35 is pretty old for that position. 

Agree, there are pros and cons and especially since we are a young team overall. I hope he is not going to ask for unreasonable money though but they often do.......*sigh*

Jairus Byrd

He would work too.

I think I just want a FA. haha

I would rather have the best 2 or 3 linemen from the Ravens than 35 YO Reed, Sorry folks!!!!! Colts need huge new o-line...

When he was about to be suspended for that hit the media mentioned he game check was $423,529 and not sure if that's take home or gross last contract was 44.4 at 7.4 mil a year so he would want an increase and might want more than 1 year since he stated a few times he loves to play and wants to keep on playing in the after SB interview, I changed the channels when RL was speaking. 

I would rather spend that money towards a great young healthy o-linemen...

Just saw this on Rotoworld...

Just saw this on Rotoworld...

So La Canfora says us while Peter King says New England.  Watch he'll end up in Seattle or something...

I would rather have the best 2 or 3 linemen from the Ravens than 35 YO Reed, Sorry folks!!!!! Colts need huge new o-line...

When he was about to be suspended for that hit the media mentioned he game check was $423,529 and not sure if that's take home or gross last contract was 44.4 at 7.4 mil a year so he would want an increase and might want more than 1 year since he stated a few times he loves to play and wants to keep on playing in the after SB interview, I changed the channels when RL was speaking. 

I would rather spend that money towards a great young healthy o-linemen...

I've seen a lot of posts about getting o-linemen whenever talk of signing a free agent has come up. 

Here is the thing while the o-line is clearly the Colts biggest need it's not their only need.  When a team has as much money as the Colts do to spend there is NOTHING wrong with entertaining the idea of signing other free agents as well as o-line.  I also don't think anyone is suggesting we should go get Ed Reed and not address the o-line just to go get Reed.  I think most people feel it's a real possibility to do both if the Colts elect to do so. 

Also, singing a vet or two like Reed for two or three year deals might not be a bad thing.  First of all they normally come cheaper than younger players coming off their rookie contracts and if the Colts just load up on young talent that will be great till Andrew Luck's contract is up and then they are going to find themselves in the same spot the Ravens are in right now.  A lot of great talent but that they can't afford to keep.  I think it's okay to go after a guy like Reed who can come in help you for a couple of years and then leave and then draft a younger replacement whose deal will not come up till after Luck has signed his second contract.  

I don't think you're wrong. I can't see the point in signing a 35 yr. old safety when there are so many young guys available in the draft. I like Reed and if Grigson brings him in, I wouldn't be really upset, but I just don't see it happening. 

Dashon Goldson would be a much better option than Byrd or Reed. The Colts need a true SS and Goldson is the thumper the Colts need in the secondary.

I agree with this. He would be my 1st choice if we sign a FA safety. Reed is a FS and Im not confident in moving Bethea to SS if Reed was brought aboard. Much rather get a true SS, rather than move a guy out of position and hope he can perform in his new role.

I agree with this. He would be my 1st choice if we sign a FA safety. Reed is a FS and Im not confident in moving Bethea to SS if Reed was brought aboard. Much rather get a true SS, rather than move a guy out of position and hope he can perform in his new role.

I always thought Bethea was more of a SS than FS...   Remember the good ole days with FS-Sanders and SS-Bethea

I always thought Bethea was more of a SS than FS...   Remember the good ole days with FS-Sanders and SS-Bethea

To my recollection, Bethea has never played SS here, with or without Sanders. Sanders was always the SS here. That is when he managed to actually play a game.

To my recollection, Bethea has never played SS here, with or without Sanders. Sanders was always the SS here. That is when he managed to actually play a game

i looked into it a bit.  He has always been listed as a SS but I do still think we put Sanders on the FS side sometimes and put Bethea on the SS.      

all in all, i was wrong, u were right