Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ed Reed to Indy?

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah and Peyton Manning was a Colt for life.

totally different, Colts had the #1 pick and Manning came off 4 neck surgeries and no one new at the time how well he could do at his age, Reed they know can still play at a top level and they will have to replace Lewis and possibly Matt Birk if he retires at the end of the season(although he still has 2 years left on his deal), I have every reason to believe if Reed does not retire then he will be a Raven next year, it could happen but they have 2 other backup FA Safeties this year who are FA and I expect 1 or both of them to be let walk and for Reed to be resigned to a 2 year deal at most and his replacement drafted this year, if you release Ed Reed then you suddenly have a giant hole that cant be replaced by a Safety thats currently on the Ravens roster, what I do if I am GM, I resign Ed Reed, draft a Safety with ballhawk skills who can learn under Reed (and come in for Reed to give him a breather as the season goes on) and then there ya go smooth transition from there once Reed retires

totally different, Colts had the #1 pick and Manning came off 4 neck surgeries and no one new at the time how well he could do at his age, Reed they know can still play at a top level and they will have to replace Lewis and possibly Matt Birk if he retires at the end of the season(although he still has 2 years left on his deal), I have every reason to believe if Reed does not retire then he will be a Raven next year, it could happen but they have 2 other backup FA Safeties this year who are FA and I expect 1 or both of them to be let walk and for Reed to be resigned to a 2 year deal at most and his replacement drafted this year, if you release Ed Reed then you suddenly have a giant hole that cant be replaced by a Safety thats currently on the Ravens roster, what I do if I am GM, I resign Ed Reed, draft a Safety with ballhawk skills who can learn under Reed (and come in for Reed to give him a breather as the season goes on) and then there ya go smooth transition from there once Reed retires

Gavin the point is if Peyton Manning can swtich teams so can Ed Reed.  If you look at the very limited amount of cap space the Ravens have this off-season and the big name free agents they have to sign there is a very real chance he is going to be a free agent and could very well sign with another team. 

I would rather go after someone much much younger, but if the Colts had a plan to draft somebody that they think will be a stud in a yr. or 2, then we could use him as a stop gap. Wouldn't pay him very much or sign him for longer than a yr., though.

Wait really?

Sounds like in the offseason where everyone preferred Garcon to Wayne because they wanted younger receivers to grow with Andrew. How did that work out? Everyone changed their tunes and began saying having a veteran teach Luck was so important.

I would rather have Ed Reed than anyone currently on our defensive roster, and we do not have a 2nd round pick next year and we are not burning our 1st on a safety so if we sign a solid veteran like Reed we can properly run our system and use the next couple years to find a good safety to replace him.

To pass on him because hes as old as Reggie Wayne whom we are all obsessed with seems rather hypocritical. I would love to see Ed Reed here for the next few years, we have plenty of other positions to throw young guys at and hope it works out.

I mean is our team not already young enough? Our defense needs a real veteran and leader........ And than once we sign him we can stop pretending Zbi is this great vet, because we will actually have one.

Also did you watch Cassius Vaughn in the playoffs? We need to find a solution for that problem and the solution is not to go "younger" there is nothing wrong with a solid veteran like Ed Reed. I for one am sick of watching Vontae look like hes all by himself out there. We have enough "young" talent in the secondary lets sign Ed Reed.

I think Reed will retire if they win the Superbowl, however if they don't he may be in Indy or somewhere other than Baltimore next year. I would rather have Byrd, but Reed if healthy will give us a boost until we can find someone in the draft.

The last two years Ed Reed has thought seriously about retirement due to wanting time with his family, and has not been happy with his salary either. Right now he makes about 7Million a year, and although I would not mind having him for a few seasons since I think he can still be a ball hawk and be a great teacher, no way would I pay 7Million, plus the agony after the first year if you acquired him of not knowing if he is coming back, regardless of length of contract signed. Go after someone young Pagano can mold. I like Vaccaro and Elam myself!

The only way Ed Reed would come to Indy is as a DB coach..for Pagano

Do players of that caliber really ever come back to the NFL to coach? I can't seem to find any. There a guys like Dungy, Whisenhunt, Herm Edwards.....but no real superstars.......I started thinking about this when people were throwing the nonsense of Manning coming back as our OC. Always seems to be the slightly above average players that come back to coach....the ones that are extremely intelligent at their position, but just don't quite have the top level ability (Kubiak, Harbaugh types).

The only way Ed Reed would come to Indy is as a DB coach..for Pagano

Well Reggie Wayne is his best friend and has openly admitted he would try to recruit Reed to the Colts this off-season.

Don't under sell Pagano and Reed though.  Not only was Pagano the DB coach for him in Baltimore but he was the guy that recruited Reed to Miami and coached him there.  They are very close.  I am sure if the Colts are interested in Reed we might be an attractive team to him. 

Do players of that caliber really ever come back to the NFL to coach? I can't seem to find any. There a guys like Dungy, Whisenhunt, Herm Edwards.....but no real superstars.......I started thinking about this when people were throwing the nonsense of Manning coming back as our OC. Always seems to be the slightly above average players that come back to coach....the ones that are extremely intelligent at their position, but just don't quite have the top level ability (Kubiak, Harbaugh types).

Raymond Berry was a Head Coach and so was Bart Star.  So there have been ex players that come back and become head coaches that were stars.  Mike Singletary maybe being the most recent example. 

Raymond Berry was a Head Coach and so was Bart Star.  So there have been ex players that come back and become head coaches that were stars.  Mike Singletary maybe being the most recent example. 

I meant to say recent players (basically guys that have played in the exploded salary era).

I meant to say recent players (basically guys that have played in the exploded salary era).

Well like anything you have to work your way up.  Very rarely does any player retire and become a major coach in the NFL right away regardless of if they were a star or not. 

It's not the best example in the world but sometimes they have to do what Favre did and go back and coach high school or go to a small college and start the process of going up the chain.  Harbaugh was helping his dad coach before he retired from the NFL and it's taken till now to get to the NFL. 

I will say this as maybe the biggest Jim Harbaugh the Colt fan ever (still my all-time favorite player) I am not sure Jim Harbaugh was ever thought of as a "Super Star" player with all due respect to Captain Comeback. 

Missed the super star part. Although he is in my eyes ;) love that dude!

I wouldn't mind having Ed Reed at the right price for 1-2 years as he would instantly bring a type of defensive mentality with him that our younger guys around him could learn and benefit from.  He would be a great mentor for our secondary.  Also like some have already said, he is better than anyone we currently have back there at the moment, even given his age.  However, I'd be surprised if Baltimore lets him leave.  He's one of their franchise guys and if possible I expect them to do all they can to ensure that he retires a Raven like Ray. 

However should he become available, I expect that New England would be quicker to show him the money than Grigs.  So if I was a betting man, I'd put my money on the Pats if  Reed isn't in Baltimore next year.  Grigs has already said that even though the Colts have money to spend, they are not necessarily going to go out and sign a bunch of "name players" but will get solid guys who may not be as recognizable to fans but who nevertheless address their needs. Colts have a lot of needs to address particularly on offensive line and may not be able to afford the luxuory of spending what it will take to bring in Reed when there are decent, cheaper, and younger Safety options available via the draft.

I wouldn't mind having Ed Reed at the right price for 1-2 years as he would instantly bring a type of defensive mentality with him that our younger guys around him could learn and benefit from.  He would be a great mentor for our secondary.  Also like some have already said, he is better than anyone we currently have back there at the moment, even given his age.  However, I'd be surprised if Baltimore lets him leave.  He's one of their franchise guys and if possible I expect them to do all they can to ensure that he retires a Raven like Ray. 

However should he become available, I expect that New England would be quicker to show him the money than Grigs.  So if I was a betting man, I'd put my money on the Pats if  Reed isn't in Baltimore next year.  Grigs has already said that even though the Colts have money to spend, they are not necessarily going to go out and sign a bunch of "name players" but will get solid guys who may not be as recognizable to fans but who nevertheless address their needs. Colts have a lot of needs to address particularly on offensive line and may not be able to afford the luxuory of spending what it will take to bring in Reed when there are decent, cheaper, and younger Safety options available via the draft.

They probably aren't going to have the money to keep him they have less than 10 million in money to spend for draft picks, free agents and to re-sign their guys and Joe Flacco is a free agent.  He's going to get most of that money.  They also have couple of other big name free agents who are younger than Reed.  The sense I've gotten from the media and the people who know Reed, like Reggie, is that he's all but gone. 

The fact that we have Pagano who means a lot to him and coaches him twice, his best friend in Reggie Wayne, and a defense that is close to what he has played in his whole career, and money will make Indy attractive to him I am sure if the Colts go after him. 

The Colts might very well not.  He is older and to be honest we already have a safety in Bethea who plays his poistion.  So if we do go after him either Reed or Bethea would be playing out of poistion or they might release Bethea but I am not sure if I believe they will do that. 

Guest NDColts!!

A very good player who if let go i'm sure it is only about cap space and loyalty between team an player happens all the time right Peyton, money speaks volumes as doe's desire to make history.Think that if Reed comes here its the friendship and loyalty thing more than money.

5 years ago I would've said yes. Right now, I think no. Here are the reasons why not:-He is an emblematic player of Ravens, he should resign and walk into HOF as a Raven.-He has perhaps 1 year left, if he would win an SB now, I think he would resume his career. If he wouldn't win, he should choose an other SB contender team (if he leaves Ravens)-I'm not sure he wants to leave Ravens.
5 years ago I would've said yes. Right now, I think no. Here are the reasons why not:-He is an emblematic player of Ravens, he should resign and walk into HOF as a Raven.-He has perhaps 1 year left, if he would win an SB now, I think he would resume his career. If he wouldn't win, he should choose an other SB contender team (if he leaves Ravens)-I'm not sure he wants to leave Ravens.

Agree totally.......Maybe even 2 or 3 years ago I would have taken Ed. I think he is a great player and needs to retire with one team, let's face it if we end up signing him we know what is going to happen. He will end up getting hurt and be on IR by week 4, so I say we save that mony and put it some where else. Just my opinion.

What about Raymond Berry? 

I say the Draft should be Defense Heavy since offense was the "Theme" last year. Then use FA for both Offense & Defense imo

atleast someone agrees with me. i have said that all year. with everyone saying we should go with an offensive lineman in the first round i been more on the side drafting ALL defense in this years draft. offensive lineman can be had in free agency. and if none of those safeties dont fall to us in the first round, there is always drafting someone like Montgomery or Wingo from LSU. Wingo more then likely with the possibility of not resigning Freeney in the off season. but what sucks is i think we only got our 1,3,4 and 6th round picks so that leaves 4 that we can work with. and honestly i think we should take a chance on the honey badger. he has been clean, been in rehab, could get him in the 4th round. after that i really do not know who we can get with our 3rd or 6th round pick. 

atleast someone agrees with me. i have said that all year. with everyone saying we should go with an offensive lineman in the first round i been more on the side drafting ALL defense in this years draft. offensive lineman can be had in free agency. and if none of those safeties dont fall to us in the first round, there is always drafting someone like Montgomery or Wingo from LSU. Wingo more then likely with the possibility of not resigning Freeney in the off season. but what sucks is i think we only got our 1,3,4 and 6th round picks so that leaves 4 that we can work with. and honestly i think we should take a chance on the honey badger. he has been clean, been in rehab, could get him in the 4th round. after that i really do not know who we can get with our 3rd or 6th round pick.

Honey Badger?? Possible.

But if he's available, I'd pick Carrington Byndom over the Badger

Ed Reed hits the market we should have him signed within 24 hours. his knowledge of the D makes him our best player on defense before the ink dries. and he will make sure the rest of the D gets on the same page.  I think this past season we had so many young players on offense we probably will see that next year for our D. so a veteran presence will be vital.

People should stop mentioning Byrd as the Bills will no doubt franchise him at 6 mill.

I wouldn't say no doubt, because bear in mind that andy levitre will be a FA and there is no way that they will definitely pick one over the other with such ease. But either way, I would love either byrd, reed or goldson with bethea

Was reading a recent article on my NFL 12' app which was saying that word is the Ravens will release him to FA. His two mist likely places to end up would be Indy and New England. Indy cause if his relationship with pagano and our cap space, NE cause of belichecks known admiration and respect for his skill. Is this something we should pursue?

To old for Indy, and to young for NE.

Ed reed? More like a pollard type ss. Many here including myself don't like him. But I really like how he plays. Especially in this game against NE

I can't stand Pollard either....but I must admit he is an intimidator and man, he really waffled Steven Ridley.

Ridley looked like "Woody" from Toy Story....the way he flops to the floor whenever a human shows up.

I can't stand Pollard either....but I must admit he is an intimidator and man, he really waffled Steven Ridley.

Ridley looked like "Woody" from Toy Story....the way he flops to the floor whenever a human shows up.

Lol he did! Bob sanders used to be that guy for us. He just got injuries to much. Whether that was because he was to small or injury prone who knows. But get me another safety like that!