Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Vinatieri Concerns...

MoM

i don't think av has been that great since coming to colts...he missed the game winner against the chargers a few yrs ago and missed a very make-able fg in the super bowl....don't know why everybody loves the guy. heck, stover did a better job than av.

Of all the things to be worried about with the Colts right now, on my official list AV is # 3467. He is slotted between the speed in which the ball boys run onto the field to give the team water during time outs and the route that Irsay takes to get the LOS during home games with all the downtown construction.

I doubt that very many people are going to be worrying about Vinatieri with the other issues, and I will also point out that this is hardly the first time that he has missed an easy one or three. When he was a Patriot and the football world was bowing down to him I couldn't stand him. I used to point out that at least one of his famous clutch SB kicks wouldn't have even been necessary if he hadn't shanked an easier kick earlier in the game. He has a long history of doing so. Last year he was simply superb for the Colts. This year he looks - well - like Adam Vinatieri. I'm sure he'll be fine - the man does have ice water flowing in his veins - but sometimes using him early in a game is like bringing in a closer in the 7th inning. Without the adrenaline boost they just aren't the same.

By the way, I liked Mike Vanderjagt. He made many a clutch kick for the Colts and was considerably more consistent then Vinatieri - and had more range. I understand why the Colts lost confidence in him - kicking is a psychological exercise and he probably lost confidence in himself. That doesn't change the fact that if you applied Vinatieri's kicking percentage to the time period that Vanderjagt was a Colt, the team would have scored something like 24 fewer points with him (I did the math when we signed him but I don't remember exactly). And before you attribute that to weather, Adams mark since coming to the Colts has gone up a couple of % points but is still inferior despite last years sterling percentage. Actually aside from last year his percentage as a Colt is LOWER than it was as a Patriot.

"Clutch" makes for great TV, but points are what win football games.Vanderjagt seems to be despised because of one missed field goal - at a distance where any kicker is going to miss it probably a third of the time anyway - in a game in which so many Colts played like garbage that we had no right to expect a win. Does anyone hate Harper because he was stupid enough to get into a domestic dispute and get himself stabbed? That might have inhibited his running ability just a bit on that late interception? Does anyone hate Peyton because of his game losing interception (forgotten because a bad call overturned it)? I hate it when good players are made into scapegoats - the entire team was responsible for that loss.

Of all the things to be worried about with the Colts right now, on my official list AV is # 3467. He is slotted between the speed in which the ball boys run onto the field to give the team water during time outs and the route that Irsay takes to get the LOS during home games with all the downtown construction.

Alot of games in the NFL are decided by 3 points or less, unfortunately this will not

be the case for our Colts this season.Kickers are important for doing their job well.

Alot of games in the NFL are decided by 3 points or less, unfortunately this will not

be the case for our Colts this season.Kickers are important for doing their job well.

Thanks for clearing that up for me.

The point is 1) he missed one freaking kick and 2) there are far bigger issues on this team right now.

He has been missing alot of freaking kicks here lately, but I agree with the bigger issues

on this team.

It is the first dayum game. He missed one in the preseason and the one on Sunday. By any definition, that does not constitute "alot." In fact his current streak is 1 miss.