Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Q & A with Mike Chappell

lollygagger8

It looks like they did answer some questions that I had.

Still don't understand the whole Paul Kruger situation, we have good LBs, just turns out that Freeney and Mathis are aging and Hughes just hasn't gotten a good opportunity.

I would hate for us to overpay for a position that doesn't need to get upgraded.

Also what about the SS position? Do we keep Lefeged or Zibby or bring in someone from FA/Draft?

And how about any word on a new ST coordinator and why Maalouf was fired?

Still don't understand the whole Paul Kruger situation, we have good LBs, just turns out that Freeney and Mathis are aging and Hughes just hasn't gotten a good opportunity.

I would hate for us to overpay for a position that doesn't need to get upgraded.

Also what about the SS position? Do we keep Lefeged or Zibby or bring in someone from FA/Draft?

I honestly wouldn't pay a dime for Kruger. There are a lot of good pass rushers coming out of College this season. And they can be had for rookie contracts. Whereas Kruger may well want a King's ransom...and I am not sure he is as good as he's cracked up to be. As for Safety, I'd love to see us pickup Matt Elam out of Florida.

There are a lot of good pass rushers coming out of College this season. And they can be had for rookie contracts. 

Whereas Kruger may well want a King's ransom...and I am not sure he is as good as he's cracked up to be. 

One would think these may impact each other across the NFL.  Might be prudent to simply wait out the first wave of FA signings until demands start to drop to more realistic levels.

The LB situation is exactly what you said.....freeney, who will be gone, and Mathis are aging. What is there not to understand?

One would think these may impact each other across the NFL.  Might be prudent to simply wait out the first wave of FA signings until demands start to drop to more realistic levels.

I mean we're in a good spot in that we have all of this cash and MUST spend it. So that's cool. But I hope we spend it on sure things. Pagano will know more than anyone else if Kruger is the real deal or just the byproduct of having great defenders around him. So, if we do take him then I'll trust our people.

While I am not sure that Paul Kruger is the answer to anything, I will say that the Colts' pass rush is in dire need of upgrading.  Finding someone who can put pressure on the QB is paramount in this offseason.  Maybe after O-line, that is the most pressing need.  Freeney is likely gone.  Mathis is aging and thinking that Hughes has yet to get a shot is just not accurate.  The Colts are most assuredly not going into FA and the draft thinking we have our edge rushers already on the roster. 

I think our top pick should go to an O-line either Warmack,Fluker,Jones, or Fisher if any are still available I dont think they will spend their first round on lb or db or at least i hope not i think we could get some good talent from FA mixed with later draft picks on those positions 

I mean we're in a good spot in that we have all of this cash and MUST spend it. So that's cool. But I hope we spend it on sure things. Pagano will know more than anyone else if Kruger is the real deal or just the byproduct of having great defenders around him. So, if we do take him then I'll trust our people.

I wouldn't mind getting Kruger, but I wouldn't overpay to obtain his services. I would rather have Anthony Spencer over Kruger anyway. I also wouldn't mind Conner Barwin and I think he would come cheaper than Kruger or Spencer. I'm with you though, that I trust Grigson and Pagano to get the right guys.

I wouldn't mind getting Kruger, but I wouldn't overpay to obtain his services. I would rather have Anthony Spencer over Kruger anyway. I also wouldn't mind Conner Barwin and I think he would come cheaper than Kruger or Spencer. I'm with you though, that I trust Grigson and Pagano to get the right guys.

Why Spencer? Before his contract year his sack totals per year were 3, 1, 6, 5, 6

Why Spencer? Before his contract year his sack totals per year were 3, 1, 6, 5, 6

I don't really have any specific reasoning behind it, just that I feels he fits our system, and is faster than Kruger or Barwin. Kruger didn't really do anything this yr. till Suggs got back so that makes me wonder if he didn't just benefit from Suggs return. I'd take any of the 3, I've just heard that Kruger wants a big payday, bigger than he is probably worth. Just because we have money this offseason don't mean I want them to overpay for guys. Just like on the O-line, I would rather have 3 good lineman than 1 or even 2 really good lineman.

I think Anthony Spencer has been limited in his opportunities by playing second fiddle to Demarcus Ware in the Cowboys defense. I would be more inclined to favor Spencer over Kruger as well. I think he will provide better value, and very likely is the better player. That being said, Pags knows what's up with Kruger, so I am confident our team will make the best moves.

I think Anthony Spencer has been limited in his opportunities by playing second fiddle to Demarcus Ware in the Cowboys defense. I would be more inclined to favor Spencer over Kruger as well. I think he will provide better value, and very likely is the better player. That being said, Pags knows what's up with Kruger, so I am confident our team will make the best moves.

Playing opposite side of a guy who demands extra attention should be helpful.

I honestly wouldn't pay a dime for Kruger. There are a lot of good pass rushers coming out of College this season. And they can be had for rookie contracts. Whereas Kruger may well want a King's ransom...and I am not sure he is as good as he's cracked up to be. As for Safety, I'd love to see us pickup Matt Elam out of Florida.

I totally agree, I don't understand people's fascination with him. We have quality linebackers as it is.

While I am not sure that Paul Kruger is the answer to anything, I will say that the Colts' pass rush is in dire need of upgrading.  Finding someone who can put pressure on the QB is paramount in this offseason.  Maybe after O-line, that is the most pressing need.  Freeney is likely gone.  Mathis is aging and thinking that Hughes has yet to get a shot is just not accurate.  The Colts are most assuredly not going into FA and the draft thinking we have our edge rushers already on the roster. 

I can see your point. I don't believe that Kruger is the answer. Granted Freeney and Mathis are aging. I would much rather have Hughes than Freeney at this point in their careers. And are secondary is the most important thing to improve on after O-line. Do we need pass rushers? Absolutely. I would rather get more defensive line help more than OLB help. 

I think people just saw how Kruger dominated our offensive line & fell in love with him failing to realize our offensive line is pathetic. Kruger to me is overrated. He's been there all season & I didn't hear anything about him till late in the season. I'd take Courtney Upshaw over Kruger if it was possible. Not saying Kruger is a terrible player, but he's not what people are Hyping him up to be imo

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Tark the shark" data-cid="391739"><p>I can see your point. I don't believe that Kruger is the answer. Granted Freeney and Mathis are aging. I would much rather have Hughes than Freeney at this point in their careers. And are secondary is the most important thing to improve on after O-line. Do we need pass rushers? Absolutely. I would rather get more defensive line help more than OLB help. </p></blockquote><br />You put way too much stock in Hughes. I would not be surprised if he is just simply cut this offseason. And I the statement that you would rather have Hughes than Freeney - well, let's just say that I cannot begin to understand that statement even with their ages in consideration.<br /><br />

I can see your point. I don't believe that Kruger is the answer. Granted Freeney and Mathis are aging. I would much rather have Hughes than Freeney at this point in their careers. And are secondary is the most important thing to improve on after O-line. Do we need pass rushers? Absolutely. I would rather get more defensive line help more than OLB help. 

I completely disagree and in fact feel quite the opposite.  When healthy, we have a very solid DL rotation with Redding, Moala, Nevis, Matthews and Guy at 5 tech/3 tech and Chapman, McKinney, Johnson and Tevaseu (at least 1 if not 2 of these likely will not be back next year though) at NT.  Yes, Redding is starting to get up there in age but Moala, Nevis, Matthews and Guy are all still young and continuing to improve.  I'm not saying we shouldn't look at DL players but I don't think it's a high priority, especially for an early round draft pick.

On the other hand, for Rush LB we have Mathis, Freeney (likely not returning) and Hughes.  Hughes performed well in spurts but also made some incredibly bone-headed plays.  I already said Freeney likely won't be back so that leaves us with Mathis and a questionable Hughes.  Who else do we have to provide a solid pass rush from Rush LB position?  Westermann almost had a sack late in the season but that's all we've seen from him.  Sure we just signed Killeen and, while I would love for him to become a premiere pass rusher, at this point he is nothing more than a question mark.  We were near the bottom of the league in sacks last year and, with the type of defense we run, the majority of sacks are going to come from the OLBs. 

Personally, I would like to get either Spencer, Kruger or Barwin AND still use either our 1st or 3rd round pick on another pass rusher.  I'd love to get Xavier Rhodes (CB) in the 1st and then get Brandon Jenkins (DE/OLB) in the 3rd because I think we would get top value that way.  If we could get either DRC, Mike Jenkins, Brent Grimes or Sam Shields in FA then we could bypass Rhodes and go OL/OLB in the 1st/3rd rounds.

If we're going to overpay for any position, I'd prefer it to be OL, CB or rush LB in that order.

This is just my mere opinion. But with Grigson being an former offensive lineman, I think offensive line is his #1 Off-season Priority hands down. Then with Pagano being a CB Guy, CB will be #2. Then anything else after that is Icing on the Cake.

But hey, that's just my opinion *Sips Apple Juice*