Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Which Free Agent O-Linemen, Fit Our scheme?

SPORTSTRAC.COM HIGHLIGHTS THESE OFFENSIVE LINEMAN(TACKLES) TO BE THE TOP FREE AGENTS AVAILABLE IN 2013....

Jermon Bushrod T UFA New Orleans TBD 
Ryan Clady T UFA Denver TBD  
Jake Long T UFA Miami TBD 
Andre Smith T UFA Cincinnati TBD
Will Svitek T UFA Atlanta TBD
Sebastian Vollmer T TBD

WHO DO YOU THINK FIT'S OUR SYSTEM, WHAT IS HIS STRENGTH/WEAKNESS, AND what should we give up to get him here?

TACKLE                       GUARD                        CENTER                       GUARD                        TACKLE

RYAN CLADY /JERMON BUSHROD     LOUIS VASQUEZ         TODD MCCLURE          ANDY LEVITRE      ANTHONY CASTANZO / ANDRE SMITH

If "WIN NOW!", is the focus, let our rookies learn from these proven veterans, that still have roughly 7 years left in the tank. There is so much value in the free agent market for lineman this year, we can patch up all the holes in the front line, which will make evaluating our running backs alot easier....(again, just for olinemen only)

Vasquez is a strong as an Ox (39 bench press reps at Combine) he would fit in at Guard, I see Justice staying at RT though,

Dont want Andre Smith and his 19 combine reps and suddenly playing in a contract year self.

Levitre is Zone Blocking, (23 reps)

Clady Im not sure would fit either (24 reps)

Vollmer might, he certainly has the strength and technique but not sure about health (32 reps)

Bushrod Im not sold on especially strength wise (22 reps at Combine)

Out of all those I would target Vollmer if healthy or Vasquez-who I prefer

Vasquez is a strong as an Ox (39 bench press reps at Combine) he would fit in at Guard, I see Justice staying at RT though,

Dont want Andre Smith and his 19 combine reps and suddenly playing in a contract year self.

Vollmer might, he certainly has the strength and technique but not sure about health (32 reps)

Why not both

I'd like Vasquez more than any other lineman, but the combine reps don't say much about them anymore, them reps are only relevant if none of them have added muscle in the last 4/5 years which they will have done.

I see Levitre mentioned a lot. Do the majority of nfl "talent evaluators" feel he has the skill and versatility to play at a high level regardless of scheme? I have not seen it really addressed in any of the articles discussing the FAs.

" Here, the size limitation becomes a disadvantage. Larger offensive linemen have extra weight that must be negotiated for a rusher to reach the quarterback – particularly in the middle of the offensive line. Zone blockers are at greater risk of simply being pushed back into the quarterback because their lack of weight and their inability to dictate leverage give the defender the advantage.

In short, the time window for passing tends to be smaller for a zone-block team than a man-block team. The passing offense must compensate for the time deficiency through other means."

http://www.rockytoptalk.com/2009/8/26/999603/the-passing-game-in-a-zone

Gavin is Totally Correct.

We Need man-blocking OG's for Pass Protection & Run Blocking. The O-Line scheme matters a great deal. Andy LeVitre is a good zone-blocking OG, so he would Not be a good fit on our O-Line.

Louis Vasquez would be a good fit at RG. Maybe Kevin Boothe at LG to complement. We also need to find a RT that would start. This would allow Justice to be the back-up. Vollmer is awesome, but his back problems make me wonder if its really worth it. ?

The Colts brought in a huge guard from the University of Tennessee a few years ago named McClendon.  He held the bench press record for the university at 645 lbs.  Unbelievable.  He had all of us drooling.  Released.  That and many other cases lead me to think very little of those bench reps.   

I wouldn't get too worked up about bench press totals.    Once they're over 20, I think they're mostly acceptable.

Scouts and other talent evaluators also focus on something they call 'funcational' football strength.   Does the player know how to use leverage, balance, hand and foot placement to gain advantage.    Good functional strength is thought of as important, if not moreso, than simple raw power.    That's nice, and certainly important,  but it's not the be-all and end-all for displaying strength.

The Colts brought in a huge guard from the University of Tennessee a few years ago named McClendon.  He held the bench press record for the university at 645 lbs.  Unbelievable.  He had all of us drooling.  Released.  That and many other cases lead me to think very little of those bench reps.   

That was a huge reach by polian. Kiffin acted surprised he was even drafted

Doing a ton of reps of 225 at the combine has very little to do with pure strength.

Vasquez... hope we get with adding Raye to the FO today...

Levitre will be tagged / kept by the bills

Vollmer would be good, but doubt NE lets him go and as said above back problems.... Cost.?

Levitre won't be tagged for the Bills,

They have higher priorities.

Levitre won't be tagged for the Bills,

They have higher priorities.

Outside of Mckelvin, Jairus Byrd, Spencer Johnson and Rinehart and maybe Tarvaris Jackson I think most of there list of Free Agents are expendable and those that they keep should come cheap, also four of them are RFA, ask me the highest priority they should have besides looking for a franchise QB (I dont see there being one in the draft this year) is resigning Levitre, they are drafting high enough they can always replace Byrd with another top Safety if they absolutely have to but I dont think they will

Let's please eliminate any of the over priced guys, Jake Long, Clady, and Bushrod.  Personally, I don't see Clady or Bushrod going anywhere.  If we overpay for Long I will puke.  Poor long term investments.  With that being said, Andy Levitre and Sebastian Vollmer are on my wishlist.  Castonzo and Satele aren't going anywhere.  Although I wish Satele would just die.  So we really need Levitre and Vollmer to replace McGlynn and Justice as starters...Reitz will be fine for another year.

I love many of the suggestions I see here. Additionally, I also do not value bench reps as a criteria for O lineman. With that being said, I would absolutely LOVE to bring in Louis Vasquez at guard. He would immediately bolster the middle of our line, providing relief in both the run and pass game. Now at tackle, I have a bit of a different opinion. I think Clady is unattainable, maybe franchised. I do NOT want Long; he's a great leader but appears to be losing a step and is overpriced. The player I would love to see playing right tackle for the 2013-2014 Indianapolis colts is Phil Loadholt. The guy is an animal. Also, if he's good enough for AP he's good enough for me!

Outside of Mckelvin, Jairus Byrd, Spencer Johnson and Rinehart and maybe Tarvaris Jackson I think most of there list of Free Agents are expendable and those that they keep should come cheap, also four of them are RFA, ask me the highest priority they should have besides looking for a franchise QB (I dont see there being one in the draft this year) is resigning Levitre, they are drafting high enough they can always replace Byrd with another top Safety if they absolutely have to but I dont think they will

So they can easily replace the guy who might be the best free safety in football but they can't replace a guard? Sometimes your logic is...um....suspect

Let's please eliminate any of the over priced guys, Jake Long, Clady, and Bushrod.  Personally, I don't see Clady or Bushrod going anywhere.  If we overpay for Long I will puke.  Poor long term investments.  With that being said, Andy Levitre and Sebastian Vollmer are on my wishlist.  Castonzo and Satele aren't going anywhere.  Although I wish Satele would just die.  So we really need Levitre and Vollmer to replace McGlynn and Justice as starters...Reitz will be fine for another year.

Bushrod isn't in the same bracket as clady or long (if healthy). And the saints have already said resigning Bushrod won't be easy given their cap situation

Some odd posts here. And BTW Bench reps v Bench press are two different things. Regardless, anyone who does not first value strength in Olinemen is operating on Bill Polian time. And that has passed.

Most busts are workout warriors, that's why they are busts.  They get teams excited about their strength only to find out that they can't play the position.  An above poster was basing his value of linemen on their reps and we are just saying that in and of itself is not a very good indicator.  Nothing odd about that.  

Most busts are workout warriors, that's why they are busts.  They get teams excited about their strength only to find out that they can't play the position.  An above poster was basing his value of linemen on their reps and we are just saying that in and of itself is not a very good indicator.  Nothing odd about that.  

Forgive me but that is all internet warrior surmising/nonsense.

Nevertheless, we need powerful offensive linemen.

Most busts are workout warriors, that's why they are busts. They get teams excited about their strength only to find out that they can't play the position. An above poster was basing his value of linemen on their reps and we are just saying that in and of itself is not a very good indicator. Nothing odd about that.

Most busts are workout warriors? What kind of workout warriors were Jerry hughes , Anthony Gonzalez or tony ugoh?

So they can easily replace the guy who might be the best free safety in football but they can't replace a guard? Sometimes your logic is...um....suspect

Sure, either guy can be replaced I just think Byrd can be more easily replaced at this time but I think they will find a way to resign both

Matt Slauson of the Jets is a good man blocking OG too along with Vasquez.

Not sold on picking up Slauson and it has nothing to do with talent, Slauson was in the mix with all the drama that came with the Jets even taking shots at former teammates Damien Woody and Tim Tebow

Some odd posts here. And BTW Bench reps v Bench press are two different things. Regardless, anyone who does not first value strength in Olinemen is operating on Bill Polian time. And that has passed.

Ryan Grigson gets paid to do what we're fantasizing about. So as a virtual GM, who do you think would help "our" team, and why?

It's the fourth quarter, your lungs burn, your ankles hurt, you got two fingers smashed between two helmets, your knee has a brace...and it barely helps, and you just took part in a 85 yard drive that stalled...and your kicker missed the FG.

Strength, leverage, technique, and playcalling all are very important, but what separates players, is the desire to finish the guy on the other side of the line despite facing the above scenarios. That is where BP failed, imo, at choosing O lineman. Grigs, with more money, less burdening contracts, and a good feel for what will work with what is currently on the roster, will  infuse some real nastiness. This draft and FA season will favor the offensive line.