Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Does anyone else feel that the Colts are mentally strong enough to take the division next year?

chad72

I dont know where all this Schaub is a game manager stuff is coming from, he is one of the better QB's in the league, the guy went 34 of 51 for 343 yards and 2 TD's and 1 pick , The Texans secondary was suspect and thats what lost them this game, the Texans D Line and Linebackers showed up but there Secondary did not

I can't see him carrying a team, he can't do it without a dominate running game. Brady, Manning, Rodgers, Luck can.

I dont know where all this Schaub is a game manager stuff is coming from, he is one of the better QB's in the league, the guy went 34 of 51 for  343 yards and 2 TD's and 1 pick , The Texans secondary was suspect and thats what lost them this game, the Texans D Line and Linebackers showed up but there Secondary did not 

I don't know what people mean when they say "game manager," but I definitely think Schaub is limited. He's a good enough quarterback, sufficient for a team like the Texans that have a good defense and running game, but against a really good offense that's putting up points, he's not going to consistently use his arm to beat another team.

Also, that stat line is decent from a volume standpoint, but when you wash it a little, you see some issues. For instance, his adjusted yards/attempt is only 6.5.

And if you watched the game, you'd notice that a lot of those yards came once the Texans were down two scores. You'd see the four straight punts that led to them being down by two scores. You'd see him missing some receivers, leaving chances on the field.

Schaub is sufficient, but he's not going to carry his team anywhere.

Matt Schaub is alright... I'd say he's average.  Not going to win the game for you, but probably wont be the reason you lose either.  He's a QB who, with a good team around him, can look pretty good at times.

Here's my QB list ahead of Schaub

1. Tom Brady

2. Aaron Rodgers

3. Peyton Manning

4. Drew Brees

5. Matt Ryan

6. Eli Manning

7. Ben Roethlisberger

8. Joe Flacco

9. Andrew Luck

10. Robert Griffin III

11. Matthew Stafford

That's about where I'd have Schaub... #12 in the league, IMO... Not GREAT, but good...

Edit: Before I get flamed... Flacco is only above Luck and Griffin because they're rookies......

A game manager QB IMO doesn't necessarily mean a bad QB. A game manager can still be very good. But game managers do have some limitations, for me they lack 2 attributes that field generals have. The ability to call his own offense and the ability to win without a great running game or defense.

Schuab is a good game manager, he doesn't hold the defense or running game back but if they don't show up, he's not going to save them either.

The question has already been answered.  When it mattered A LOT and the Texans could have had a BYE,  the Colts beat them.  Man, a mentally tough team doesn't lose that game.  If that's not foreshadowing what is to come, I don't know what is. 

Schaub is somewhere around 15-20 range on my list.  I have said for years that he would be the Texans limiting factor.  That and the fact they never found a number 2 WR to compliment Johnson.

Matt Schaub is alright... I'd say he's average.  Not going to win the game for you, but probably wont be the reason you lose either.  He's a QB who, with a good team around him, can look pretty good at times.

1. Tom Brady

2. Aaron Rodgers

3. Peyton Manning

4. Drew Brees

5. Matt Ryan

6. Eli Manning

7. Ben Roethlisberger

8. Joe Flacco

9. Andrew Luck

10. Robert Griffin III

11. Matthew Stafford

That's about where I'd have Schaub... #12 in the league, IMO... Not GREAT, but good...

Edit: Before I get flamed... Flacco is only above Luck and Griffin because they're rookies......

Forget about Flacco, you are going to get flamed for putting Brady at the top of that list on a Colts message board.

I look at Houston and look at the same thing over and over again. Their offense is not evolving, their QB, I hate to say it, is not nearly as clutch as I have seen Andrew Luck be this year. Plus, mentally, their offense is not built to come back well, when facing adversity.

If you have an O-line that can give your QB some decent time against their D-line, their secondary is not unbeatable by any means. That is where our offseason should help, IMO.

Several of these aspects lead me to believe that with the right offseason moves, the Colts WILL be taking the division back from the Texans next year.

Anyone else feel confident about that?

I look at Houston and look at the same thing over and over again. Their offense is not evolving, their QB, I hate to say it, is not nearly as clutch as I have seen Andrew Luck be this year. Plus, mentally, their offense is not built to come back well, when facing adversity.

If you have an O-line that can give your QB some decent time against their D-line, their secondary is not unbeatable by any means. That is where our offseason should help, IMO.

Several of these aspects lead me to believe that with the right offseason moves, the Colts WILL be taking the division back from the Texans next year.

I'm not going to say they are taking over quite yet because Houston has some great players like Foster, Watt, Johnson. But I don't think they are going to ever get to the SB with Schaub, he just isn't good enough.  I have to admit JJ Watt might be the most fun defensive player in the league to watch, he is incredibly dominant, another Reggie White. Stuffs the run, whoops double teams, blows up  the pocket, he's amazing.

A game manager QB IMO doesn't necessarily mean a bad QB. A game manager can still be very good. But game managers do have some limitations, for me they lack 2 attributes that field generals have. The ability to call his own offense and the ability to win without a great running game or defense.

Schuab is a good game manager, he doesn't hold the defense or running game back but if they don't show up, he's not going to save them either

1. Tom Brady

2. Aaron Rodgers

3. Peyton Manning

4. Drew Brees

5. Matt Ryan

6. Eli Manning

7. Ben Roethlisberger

8. Joe Flacco

9. Andrew Luck

10. Robert Griffin III

11. Matthew Stafford

I

like Big Ben over Eli.

I think the odds favor a new division winner or two in the AFC. In the last two years we have had the same division winners in the AFC, time for a change in one or two of them.......;) There has not been enough turnover lately. Even in the AFC playoffs the COLTS were the only new playoff team in the AFC to make it in over the previous season.

Sure, a few key O line additions find some help deep and the Colts will seriously contend next year.

They nearly won this year, and they beat the Texans this year, so they proved to themselves that they can beat the division champs.

With the Colts facing the no.2 teams in the two other divisions, and the Texans facing the no.1, I'd say the Colts can definitely win it. 

As mentioned before, they've beaten them, and they have a smart coaching staff. They are definitely mentally strong enough to win this division.