Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Does anyone else feel that the Colts are mentally strong enough to take the division next year?

chad72

I look at Houston and look at the same thing over and over again. Their offense is not evolving, their QB, I hate to say it, is not nearly as clutch as I have seen Andrew Luck be this year. Plus, mentally, their offense is not built to come back well, when facing adversity.

If you have an O-line that can give your QB some decent time against their D-line, their secondary is not unbeatable by any means. That is where our offseason should help, IMO.

Several of these aspects lead me to believe that with the right offseason moves, the Colts WILL be taking the division back from the Texans next year.

Anyone else feel confident about that?

I said the same thing while I was laughing at them getting Dismantled by Brady.

Texans are Overrated. Schuab is nothing more than a Game Manager. Nowhere near an Elite QB. Outside of Foster & Johnson, they have NO Offensive Weapons. Stop JJ Watt & you'll torch their Secondary at Will.

The word to basically sum up the Texans Season is..... "Exposure"

I think that's the best word for it

I dont know where all this Schaub is a game manager stuff is coming from, he is one of the better QB's in the league, the guy went 34 of 51 for  343 yards and 2 TD's and 1 pick , The Texans secondary was suspect and thats what lost them this game, the Texans D Line and Linebackers showed up but there Secondary did not 

"I figure the odds be 50/50"

You want to throw a wrench in this. Alex Smith to Jax. 

There's no way to know, but Houston is winning at least 10 games again next year. I honestly think injuries to guys as valuable as Brain Cushing were the reason they ran out of gas. That said, Schaub isn't going to get the job done. He's not a top 10 QB.

If we get an O-line, I have no doubt we'll take the division next yr.. I have said for a long time that the Texans are never going to win a SB with Schaub as their QB. I think the Texans window has already slammed shut, nailed up tight, with bars over them. 

I dont know where all this Schaub is a game manager stuff is coming from, he is one of the better QB's in the league, the guy went 34 of 51 for  343 yards and 2 TD's and 1 pick , The Texans secondary was suspect and thats what lost them this game, the Texans D Line and Linebackers showed up but there Secondary did not 

Categorically untrue.  By my count, I have 21 QB's that I would rather have than Schaub. 

You need to stop judging a player's value simply by the stat sheet.  I would hope a QB would have respectable personal stats given how far behind the Texans got in that game.  But that does not tell the full story.  

Categorically untrue. By my count, I have 21 QB's that I would rather have than Schaub.

You need to stop judging a player's value simply by the stat sheet. I would hope a QB would have respectable personal stats given how far behind the Texans got in that game. But that does not tell the full story.

Geesh 21??!!!!! It's only.... *counts on fingers* 32 Teams in the NFL.

What are the 21??!!!

Or should I say who are the 21

There's no way to know, but Houston is winning at least 10 games again next year. I honestly think injuries to guys as valuable as Brain Cushing were the reason they ran out of gas. That said, Schaub isn't going to get the job done. He's not a top 10 QB.

*Writes down your Prediction* Ok, you said JAX gets Smith. Micheal Irvin thinks NYJ will get Smith haha

Andy Reid, west coast offense minded coach, perfect fit for Alex Smith. KC Chiefs trade for Alex Smith, and pick someone other than QB with their first pick in a less than stellar QB draft class.

That makes the most sense to me because the Chiefs' second round pick would get it done.

I look at Houston and look at the same thing over and over again. Their offense is not evolving, their QB, I hate to say it, is not nearly as clutch as I have seen Andrew Luck be this year. Plus, mentally, their offense is not built to come back well, when facing adversity.

If you have an O-line that can give your QB some decent time against their D-line, their secondary is not unbeatable by any means. That is where our offseason should help, IMO.

Several of these aspects lead me to believe that with the right offseason moves, the Colts WILL be taking the division back from the Texans next year.

After knocking them from the #1 seed and making the playoffs in the first year of an organizational overhaul, psychologically, we may already have.  Judging by what Texans fans have said, to many of them, we already have. 

Categorically untrue.  By my count, I have 21 QB's that I would rather have than Schaub. 

You need to stop judging a player's value simply by the stat sheet.  I would hope a QB would have respectable personal stats given how far behind the Texans got in that game.  But that does not tell the full story.  

21 thats completely insane

Alex Smith will somehow transform the worst team in the league?  Jacksonville is where a QB of his caliber goes to die.

As for the Texans, in looking at the entire package, I just don't see it with them. 

Really? You think the Jags are Alex Smith away from competing for the division? You must think more of them than the rest of the world. IMO they need a total rebuild from top to bottom and a few yrs. to even get back into being into the conversation.

I agree there are a lot of QBs that I would rather have

1 Peyton Manning

2 Andrew Luck

3 Tom Brady

4 Drew Brees 

5 Aaron Rodgers

6 Mathew Stafford

7 Big Ben

8 Eli Manning

9 RG3

10 Russell Wilson

11 Collin Kapernick

12 Cam Newton

13 Matt Ryan

14 Joe Flacco

15 Ryan Tannihill

16 Tony Romo

17 Philip Rivers

18 Jay Cutler

19 Josh Freeman

20 Andy Dalton

There are people who would say Vick, Bradford, Brandon Weeden and alot of QBs in the Draft should be listed ahead of him too.

Really? You think the Jags are Alex Smith away from competing for the division? You must think more of them than the rest of the world. IMO they need a total rebuild from top to bottom and a few yrs. to even get back into being into the conversation.

Competing for the division is a weird thing. 

Who saw the Lions stinking it up and the Viking making the playoffs this year? No one. 

I don't honestly think that the Jags would be contenders with that move alone, but I don't think the rest of the South could over look them anymore. 

I agree there are a lot of QBs that I would rather have

1 Peyton Manning

2 Andrew Luck

3 Tom Brady

4 Drew Brees 

5 Aaron Rodgers

6 Mathew Stafford

7 Big Ben

8 Eli Manning

9 RG3

10 Russell Wilson

11 Collin Kapernick

12 Cam Newton

13 Matt Ryan

14 Joe Flacco

15 Ryan Tannihill

16 Tony Romo

17 Philip Rivers

18 Jay Cutler

19 Josh Freeman

20 Andy Dalton

There are people who would say Vick, Bradford, Brandon Weeden and alot of QBs in the Draft should be listed ahead of him too.

Alright I get that everyone has an opinion and while I dont agree with most of the guys on that list, putting Tannehill on that list is a complete and utter nonsense the guy is not even a true starting QB in the league and while I like Newton as a QB he certainly isn't in Schaubs league yet

Yes.

IMO....Houston's problems have been a lot of just not executing well with the talent they have, and as you noted, mentally...if their opponent is ahead or even close at the end of games, it usually doesn't turn out well.

I know we are division rivals...but I had a very measured expectation level of us splitting the series with them this year and NO expectation of splitting it with them last year...yet we did both.

As we improve this off-season (hopefully)...I think we can grab the AFC South title again next year.

Alright I get that everyone has an opinion and while I dont agree with most of the guys on that list, putting Tannehill on that list is a complete and utter nonsense the guy is not even a true starting QB in the league and while I like Newton as a QB he certainly isn't in Schaubs league yet

If you want to say how good Shaub is because of his NUMBERS

Then lets look at their numbers

While Shaub threw for 139 more yards then Cam did, Newton ran for 749 more yards then Matt.  Newton also had 5 More TDs the Shaub and the threw the same amount of INT's

Then you have to ask your self who has a better Oline and better run game?  (The texans win that hands down)

21 thats completely insane

Not at all insane.  Subjective to be sure.  But the ultimate point is even if you disagree with my 21 or how I arrived at my list, under no circumstance is Schuab among the better QB's in the league.  Simply ain't so.

Not at all insane.  Subjective to be sure.  But the ultimate point is even if you disagree with my 21 or how I arrived at my list, under no circumstance is Schuab among the better QB's in the league.  Simply ain't so.

top 10 and I have him in my top 7

How do you get that Tannehill is not a "true starting QB in the league"? He started 16 games and threw for over 3000 yds.. It's your opinion that he isn't better than Schaub and thats fine, but there are a lot of people that would take him over Schaub because he's much younger and has a pretty bright future IMO. I thought Tannehill done a pretty good job this season, being a rookie and not having much talent surrounding him. If I was starting a franchise right now and had a choice of Schaub or Tannehill, I would take Tannehill.

How do you get that Tannehill is not a "true starting QB in the league"? He started 16 games and threw for over 3000 yds.. It's your opinion that he isn't better than Schaub and thats fine, but there are a lot of people that would take him over Schaub because he's much younger and has a pretty bright future IMO. I thought Tannehill done a pretty good job this season, being a rookie and not having much talent surrounding him. If I was starting a franchise right now and had a choice of Schaub or Tannehill, I would take Tannehill.

Meh I just think by the time Tannehills contract is up the Dolphins will be looking for there franchise QB, I think he was WAY overdrafted and I said that from the beginning and that Wilson was going to be much much better QB

There is nothing about schaub that seems special to me. He isn't terrible, but he is nothing special. I have never seen him lead his team to a come from behind victory. Not saying he hasn't, but i haven't seen one

Oh I dont believe him to be special, there is only a handful in the NFL that are, the obvious suspects

Manning brothers, Brady, some other real good QB's but I wouldnt say special, such as Ben R, Andy Dalton, Schaub, Matt Ryan, nothing special but good starting QB's who are capable of putting up big numbers, have to think some of them have a run game to and they are not forced to throw it but that doesn't mean they are any less good at it

Meh I just think by the time Tannehills contract is up the Dolphins will be looking for there franchise QB, I think he was WAY overdrafted and I said that from the beginning and that Wilson was going to be much much better QB

I don't think Tannehill is ever going to be a star, but I think you're underselling him. IMO he has a chance to be a good reliable QB that can be a starting QB in the league for many yrs.. I think he can be as good, if not better than Schaub.

I don't think Tannehill is ever going to be a star, but I think you're underselling him. IMO he has a chance to be a good reliable QB that can be a starting QB in the league for many yrs.. I think he can be as good, if not better than Schaub.

Perhaps I am underselling him some but when I watch him he just reminds me of slightly bigger more mobile Ryan Fitzpatrick, not a bad QB by any stretch just not a franchise QB but perhaps with a couple more pieces could make the playoffs and as we all know once you get in anything goes

Regarding the question about taking the division next year, we have to look inward at the Colts team/coaches/organization and outwardly at the other teams in our division.

1. The Texans appear to be our biggest threat. They are still a very complete team and it looks like they will continue to be next year. Just as we will look to improve with draft picks, they will be looking to do the same. I think that we can expect them to look for a difference making receiver to accompany Johnson.

2. The Titans have shown this year that they have a strong defensive front and a good LB corps. They, like us are lacking in their secondary. I expect them to look to upgrade here. Their offense is now in the hands of Locker, and next year may be the "make or break" year for him. He had mixed results this year and no one is sure that he is the answer at QB. They may start to run the pistol or spread read-option since he is very mobile and recent trends show how effective this style of offense can be.

3. The Jaguars have many issues, starting with their O-line and moving to the most important position, the QB. Currently, they do not have a QB on their roster that would scare many NFL defenses. If they stick with Gabbert, that would be the best thing they could do for us. MJD is approaching his last year of his contract, so I expect him to try to earn a new high-paying one.

4. The COLTS!!! We have struck gold this past draft. Obviously the addition of Andrew Luck and the acquisition of many additional talented rookies has positioned us for many years of future success. We need to address the O-line (badly) and our secondary and we can be in contention for a superbowl. Obviously there are more holes to fill than just what I've mentioned, but I've never seen a "perfect" team. We just need to address these issues without a drop-off in other positions and we should be fine.

I think the Colts will be contenders next year. They should be better although that is far from a certainty.  With regards to the Texans, despite Gavin's beliefs, I am not convinced Schaub will ever lead a team anywhere.  The Colts already have the best QB in the division.  Tennessee & J'ville have some serious questions about their QB's and I don't think can be called true contenders until that gets sorted out.

That's called stat padding when the game is essentially over. If you think that stat line is indicative of his play you are wrong.

I agree with a previous post:

If we fix the O-line during the offseason (and tweak the D), we'll take the AFC South.

I sort of (well, not really) feel sorry for Houston because many of their fans actually thought that some sort of "tide" was turning and it was their turn to rule it for a while.

They're a one trick pony on defense.  That pony is Watt.

For offense, yes, Schaub is good but his release isn't as fast as it used to be.  In addition, contain Foster and cover Johnson and that about does it.

Tennessee is on a treadmill.  Jacksonville is the Colts in the early 90's. 

I wonder where we will be in the Power Rankings after the analysts have pondered our off season moves and all... It will be a different vibe next season, so I hope all of our young guys put in the work...

I'm not sold on the Texans or Shaub... I don't know where they are with the cap, but their window appears (to me) to be closing swiftly.

Ironically, the mental strength is years ahead of schedule for this team. Our record in close games and comeback wins is a testament to that, and really was the difference between the 5-6 win team most of us expected and the 11 win team we ended up being.

I don't think the Texans are necessarily lacking in that area, though. They did a good job in their back to back OT games, on short rest. They were 6-0 in one score games this season. I think they're sufficient at quarterback, even if a bit limited against the more powerful teams. It's going to be one heck of a climb for us to overtake them in the division. It's achievable, but I don't think it's about mental toughness. We have it, they have it. It's more about the fact that they're more talented than us, as of right now.

I say its like this remember the touchdown song back a few years ago? Boom by p.o.d "boom here comes the boom ready or not.....We rep. the South, so what you talking about I'm not running off my mouth, I know this without a doubt....We rise to the top, what you want? Just in case you forgot....... You didn't know, thought we was new on the scene Well, it's alright! It's alright! I know you know, I see you smiling at me. Well, it's alright! It's alright!         Is that all you got? I'll take your best shot.''    No disrespect intended on part of our common foes in the division, but the south is ours we will rise again!!!!!

If the Colts are mentally tough enough to comeback from improbable odds and have that many comebacks, then yes they are mentally tough enough for the playoffs. That's what Pagano meant in his classic locker room speech, " your champions already, your on your way!"

Wait , mentally tough enough to win the division? What do you mean? We won 11 games, that record can easily win division titles, so yeah.