Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What If We Are Front Runners For Luck...

Coltsman1788

who is gonna bump us to second pick? chiefs maybe? we are the worst teams in the league, in all 3 phases. ST probably the worst.

First, it's ridiculous, at best, to think anyone can tell where all the teams in the league will settle by the end of the 2011 season after just one game. I'm not going to get into how the team performed week 1, there's enough threads on that, you either paid attention to the game or you didn't. It wasn't doomsday. I recommend turning your TV volume off and just taking in a game instead of listening to what everyone says.

In 2010, simply as the most recent example, the teams with the worse records in the league were (record; offensive rank; defensive rank - L to R):

Panthers 2-14; (32); (18)

Broncos 4-12; (13); (32)

Bengals 4-12; (20); (15)

Bills 4-12; (25); (24)

Browns 5-11; (29); (22)

Cardinals 5-11; (31); (29)

49rs 6-10; (24); (13)

Vikings 6-10; (23); (8)

Lions 6-10; (17); (21)

Cowboys 6-10; (7); (23)

Titans 6-10; (27); (26)

Texans 6-10; (3); (30)

Redskins 6-10; (18); (31)

Colts 10-6; (4); (20)

I went to this ^ extent in an attempt to illustrate the obvious for those who can't see it and are being reactionary. The worse teams are most likely going to be dead last or close to it in one area or the other (Panthers, Broncos, Cardinals, Browns), be somewhat mid-level yet dysfunctional (Bengals), or be lower tier plus play in a very tough division (Bills).

The second bracket of 6-10 teams shows what most likely happens when a team is dead last or close to in one area or the other (Texans, Redskins), dysfunctional (Redskins), dysfunctional but with talent (Vikings, Cowboys), somewhat mid-level and performs close to that (49ers, Lions), and lower tier in one of the no-so-tough divisions and find a way to get some wins anyway (Titans).

What the Colts are not -

Dysfunctional (e.g. Bengals, Redskins, Vikings, Cowboys).

Playing in one of the tougher divisions.

Untalented.

I'd be thrilled with a 9-7 finish this year, dayum be the No. 1 pick, but that's most likely a reach. If we tank at 2-14 I'd be thrilled to get Luck, but that's most likely a reach. If we finish somewhere between 2 and 9 wins, which is most probable, I'd be thrilled to get a top 10 or 12 draft pick and move forward.

Enjoy the season. Can't add anything to your height or a day to your life by worrying.

If we have the blessing to pick him before anyone else...you have to take him. He just might have enough talent to carry this team akin to Peyton.

Also consider the fact that if we don't get him, we'll have to play AGAINST him at some point.

I have and will continue to disagree. Imagine if we were in the position to draft him, just imagine the number of additional picks we could acquire by trading down, or by drafting Luck and then trading him immediately. As an example, look at what Atlanta gave up to move up and select Julio Jones:

To get from the 27th spot to the sixth pick, the Falcons sent their first-round, second-round, and fourth-round picks in 2011, along with a first-round and fourth-round pick in 2012.

source: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/04/28/falcons-give-up-plenty-to-move-up-21-spots/

If we put all of our stock on Luck then we wind up with Manning's contract for the next 5 years PLUS Luck's contract (which we'd be paying for a guy who wouldn't be on the field until Manning is gone). Since Manning has joined the team, we have always been a team with a great QB but a questionable team around him. If we pick up Luck, then we're a team with a great QB, a great potential replacement QB and we wind up with an even more questionable team around them because now we also have a ton of money wrapped up in Luck too (who again wouldn't even be on the field).

If we were in the position to draft Luck then either trading down to allow someone else to get him, or drafting and then trading him would give us several additional draft picks we could use to continue to improve the defense and the OL.

If I have a pick in the 5-10 range, I would make a trade with Cleveland for their two first round picks, hands down. Cleveland needs a WR and we can give it to them (just like Cleveland needed WR in 2011 but allowed the Falcons to have Julio Jones for a hefty price tag :)).

If were picking #1 Colts take Luck(and draft around Manning/Luck)

If were picking 1-10 colts trade draft picks to move up and get Luck

Any better record than that the Colts will just try to build around Manning.

Then Colts have a awesome head coach, reviewing replays? Hmmm

I think the winds of change are blowing, it just seems like everything blows right now.

Next year after having a terrible season, Tressel takes the HC spot, Manning is QB with a bright prodigy behind him. After 1-3 years Manning is moved from QB to QB coach, possibly even OC, Luck is the star QB.

The night is darkest before the dawn.

If I have a pick in the 5-10 range, I would make a trade with Cleveland for their two first round picks, hands down. Cleveland needs a WR and we can give it to them (just like Cleveland needed WR in 2011 but allowed the Falcons to have Julio Jones for a hefty price tag :)).

Definitely as long as they're not picking in front of us. lol

I agree though but would change that to the 1-5 range. If we're in the 1-5 range then trade back, get some additional picks. There is going to be a lot of talent left in the 2nd, 3rd and probably even 4th rounds and then after that still guys with a lot of potential but more risk to them.

Colts are not locked into Manning's contract. He has to pass a physical , every year, for the rest of the contract. I think the Colts would be willing to take on Mannings and Lucks contract for a couple of years, making necessary moves if needed in order to stay under the cap.

After that though, tough decisions have to be made. Keep the franchise qb of the near future or keep Manning for the chance of 1 more ring.

I think Manning would retire or become a coach of some compacity.

If were picking #1 Colts take Luck(and draft around Manning/Luck)

If were picking 1-10 colts trade draft picks to move up and get Luck

Any better record than that the Colts will just try to build around Manning.

Then Colts have a awesome head coach, reviewing replays? Hmmm

I think the winds of change are blowing, it just seems like everything blows right now.

Next year after having a terrible season, Tressel takes the HC spot, Manning is QB with a bright prodigy behind him. After 1-3 years Manning is moved from QB to QB coach, possibly even OC, Luck is the star QB.

The night is darkest before the dawn.

I've felt this way the past year, or so.

Weren't Thomas & Rucker considered bigger CBs that we're used to?

We picked up bigger, run stuffing oriented DEs this summer.

Drafted bigger DTs than we're used to.

RBs with a bit more bulk to them (Carter, Evans).

Freeney, Diem, Wayne, Saturday, Clark may be gone before Manning's contract runs out.

Heck, the way things SEEM right now, Peyton may not be here when his contract runs out.

Changes, they are a commin'.

Peyton's health this year is just making us think a bit more closely about it.