Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What If We Are Front Runners For Luck...

Coltsman1788

I am in no way advocating tanking this season. It is only one game and bla, bla, bla. But let's face it, if things don't improve this year we may find ourselves in prime position to draft this guy. If the opportunity presents itself I think we have to do it. A move like this would bode well for Colts' future going forward after Manning. Can you say possible Farve/Rodgers succession plan?

I am impressed with this guy's toughness. When he throws a pick he doesn't just watch as the opposing CB runs it back for a pick six, he will try to knock that guy's block off. He is also very mobile. Imagine having a Colts quarterback who can throw it down field and be a threat to tuck it in and run like that.

This kid should be a player,but of course the league is littered with busts who were can't misses.I like the fact that he is highly intelligent,and he can defintely throw it.

This is true there are no guarantees but he definitely appears to have all the tools to be successful at the next level. Like you say he is very intelligent...a Stanford guy. We need an intelligent guy like that who can learn from & eventually take over for Manning. Gotta be intelligent to play QB in our system.

What if this guy decides to stay in college for another year. He is redshirted after all

Then we use our picks to improve other areas of the team. Take your pick at this point. lol But seriously, he is a red shirted junior but I'd be surprised if this wasn't his last year. He could of come out last year and been number one but decided to go back to school. Hard to imagine someone passing up that opportunity two years in a row. But you never know.

I definitely don't want to see us suck this year, but if we do and end up in position to pick Luck, then I'll be happy as heck if we get him! That dude is gonna be frickin' awesome, plus being mentored by Manning... Makes me think of Steve Young learning from then replacing Montana, very similar situations... If that does happen, I'd be all for us trading off some of our older veterans in return for high picks or young talent. Like if the Colts start off 0-5 and are just looking terrible with little hope of turning things around, then I'd be behind us if we decided to trade off veteran players like: Brackett, Vinatieri, Addai, Saturday, and even Freeney and Wayne. We could potentially get some good offers from contending teams just missing a piece or two here or there. I mention Freeney and Wayne because they are both nearing the end of their careers (last 3 years or so) and deserve to play for a competitive team. If we could turn a few of those players into an additional high draft pick, then we could draft our next star receiver of the future to go alone with Andrew Luck. Maybe Justin Blackmon or Alshon Jeffery... And then with our second round pick (#33 overall) we could pick up a guard or center to continue with building our badass o-line of the future.

I am impressed with this guy's toughness. When he throws a pick he doesn't just watch as the opposing CB runs it back for a pick six, he will try to knock that guy's block off.

I'm iffy on that. I don't like to see my QB go to make a tackle just because of the risk of injury. It's like that game we had last year (I forget which) but we ran a reverse and Manning ended up blocking. I never want to see that, I don't want to see my franchise QB trying to tackle or block someone. I would rather my QB just push the guy out of bounds instead of trying to make a tackle

I definitely don't want to see us suck this year, but if we do and end up in position to pick Luck, then I'll be happy as heck if we get him! That dude is gonna be frickin' awesome, plus being mentored by Manning... Makes me think of Steve Young learning from then replacing Montana, very similar situations... If that does happen, I'd be all for us trading off some of our older veterans in return for high picks or young talent. Like if the Colts start off 0-5 and are just looking terrible with little hope of turning things around, then I'd be behind us if we decided to trade off veteran players like: Brackett, Vinatieri, Addai, Saturday, and even Freeney and Wayne. We could potentially get some good offers from contending teams just missing a piece or two here or there. I mention Freeney and Wayne because they are both nearing the end of their careers (last 3 years or so) and deserve to play for a competitive team. If we could turn a few of those players into an additional high draft pick, then we could draft our next star receiver of the future to go alone with Andrew Luck. Maybe Justin Blackmon or Alshon Jeffery... And then with our second round pick (#33 overall) we could pick up a guard or center to continue with building our badass o-line of the future.

So let me try and understand. You want to get Luck and trade some of our vet players to get some young guys and then Manning will have 4 useless years while they all learn? Just trying to understand your reasoning here. I would like to see Manning have another chance to get another ring and not spend his final years rebuilding. If were going to do that why not trade Manning and let him get a ring with another team and let the Colts start over. That's basically the way I'm reading your post. Sorry I don't understand your reasoning. lol

So you think we should get rid of not only our veteran players but our leaders on the field?? Saturday and Brackett are our team representatives for the league. This is because they are both stand up guys. They lead on and off the field. Did you notice one of the few good plays today came from Brackett's interception? They lead by hard work. Without Peyton, the Colts will have to look for them to get wins. Luck ain't bringing no luck to the Colts!

So you think we should get rid of not only our veteran players but our leaders on the field?? Saturday and Brackett are our team representatives for the league. This is because they are both stand up guys. They lead on and off the field. Did you notice one of the few good plays today came from Brackett's interception? They lead by hard work. Without Peyton, the Colts will have to look for them to get wins. Luck ain't bringing no luck to the Colts!

This will be the last season for Saturday. Bank on it.

You need to draft someone that's going to help you win the Superbowl soon. Even with Manning on the team the Colts are barely SuperBowl contenders. Makes no sense that if you have that high of a pick that you don't draft someone who can make an immediate impact, as oppose to someone who's going to sit for a while.

I brought this up in another thread. I absolutely agree we should take him if he is there. I really haven't seen another college QB that has Luck's knowledge and athletic ability. I think we will need to be in the top 5 picks wise in order to even have a shot for him.

Unless we have the first pick in the draft, we won't get him. Trading even from a fifth pick to a first pick requires a couple of first round picks at least based on trade value, too much to give up. I'd rather hope Peyton comes back, select Alshon Jeffery as the Brandon Marshall like WR talent from South Carolina in round 1 and select Kirk Cousins, QB, of Michigan State in round 2 that has good zip on his delivery with a lot of upside.

I don't think we'll be bad enough to get the #1 pick, although if we do, we have to take Luck. Perfect match with the horseshoe on the helmet and his name and all. Oh, and the fact that he's a stud. He's NFL ready.

However, I do expect to have a pick between #10-15, and I do expect it to be defense. I'd like to see a real Pro Bowl quality MIKE in Indy to replace Brackett. I like Angry Pat, but I question his coverage and overall potential to improve. I wouldn't mind picking the top DT available in that range either. Or, for that matter, more beefy O-lineman to go along with Castonzo and Ijalana and replace Saturday and Diem who are certainly in the twilight of their careers.

If we get the #1, there's also a good possibility that we draft Luck and *gulp* trade him for a couple guys who can fill in those holes. Veterans who can help from Day 1 to bring another Lombardi to Indy before Manning retires. That is a tough choice though, because if we aren't building for post-Manning now, it's going to hit us hard. From what we saw today, this franchise is not prepared in any way for the next era.

GO COLTS!

You need to draft someone that's going to help you win the Superbowl soon. Even with Manning on the team the Colts are barely SuperBowl contenders. Makes no sense that if you have that high of a pick that you don't draft someone who can make an immediate impact, as oppose to someone who's going to sit for a while.

i rather continue winning past the peyton era.

i rather continue winning past the peyton era.

Nothing says that you can't get a quarterback later. Aaron Rodgers was a late first rounder. It's ridiculous that you don't try to win more Superbowls now with the talent and veteran leadership you have now. Just plug in one more skilled player that's a game changer and you have the potential for one maybe two more superbowls in the next 4 years(possibly Peyton's last)

since our dumb front office does not sign free agents and give peyton the best chance at winning another super bowl i agree with trying to get luck why not? what has polian done in the last 3 years to try to get the colts another ring? name a good solid player that has helped? can name one can u? thanks

1. The Packers got extremely lucky to have Rodgers fall that far.

2. There are no guarantees, so I wouldn't dare waste picks or players to move up for him. Obviously, if we are picking first, there are no stud linemen on either side of the ball available, no stud WR, and Luck is unquestionably the BPA, then we take him. Only then would I even consider it.

People need to stop being so starry eyed about the Favre-Rodgers transition. It just doesn't happen like that but once in a generation.

However, I do expect to have a pick between #10-15, and I do expect it to be defense. I'd like to see a real Pro Bowl quality MIKE in Indy to replace Brackett. I like Angry Pat, but I question his coverage and overall potential to improve. I wouldn't mind picking the top DT available in that range either. Or, for that matter, more beefy O-lineman to go along with Castonzo and Ijalana and replace Saturday and Diem who are certainly in the twilight of their careers.

Yeah, I did think about that. Jerel Worthy, DT from Michigan State, at 6'3", 310 lbs, if he can play nose tackle on some downs, would be a great fit for our D, he is a top 5-10 pick. In the 10-15 range, I like Manti Teo, MLB, Notre Dame, around 250 lbs, who has range and can be our Brian Urlacher for years to come. Then, in round 2, we can probably address WR with Ryan Broyles of Oklahoma, a great route runner and YAC but does not have the size to be a #1.

If we are in the 3-5 range though, you have to consider Alshon Jeffery, WR of South Carolina, that is a beast among men, compares to Brandon Marshall and is a very physical and talented wideout.

So let me try and understand. You want to get Luck and trade some of our vet players to get some young guys and then Manning will have 4 useless years while they all learn? Just trying to understand your reasoning here. I would like to see Manning have another chance to get another ring and not spend his final years rebuilding. If were going to do that why not trade Manning and let him get a ring with another team and let the Colts start over. That's basically the way I'm reading your post. Sorry I don't understand your reasoning. lol

Sorry, I totally left out a very important piece to my reasoning, so I completely understand why you didn't get it. I wrote that comment with the predisposition that Manning more than likely will not regain his old form or maybe never even play again. Who knows what will happen, but I'm thinking Manning will be placed on IR sometime in the next couple of months and won't play again this year. I think to expect him to come back from this neck situation and be the same old Manning (performance-wise) is completely unrealistic. I love Manning and am a huge fan of his, and would love nothing more than to be proved wrong, but I've got serious doubts about his future playing football. Perhaps trading away vets before the trade deadline this year would be a bit premature, but if he does go on IR, and if his recovery isn't going well after the season, then maybe it's time to go ahead and start cashing in some of our assets to get a head start on the future of the franchise. If Manning doesn't come back at least close to his previous form, then the Colts have no chance at anymore superbowls, with or without the vets. So might as well get something out of them while we can, ya know? And all the players I mentioned are ones on the backend of their careers that can really only contribute for the next 3 years or so. I wouldn't want us to trade off Dallas Clark, or Robert Mathis, or Garcon, or Collie, or any of our young talent. My intentions are that if it isn't gonna work out for us to get another Lombardi during the Manning era, then lets get a jump start on the rebuilding process and give us a shot at getting one sooner than later.

Again, I hope I'm wrong and Manning heals quickly, comes back this season, totally kicks * like he never missed a beat, and leads us to more Lombardi trophies over the next 4 or 5 years. I'm just saying, given the circumstances, we have to think about all possible outcomes and the best way to handle all of them. If Manning doesn't come back 100%, do you think it'd be better to keep all the vets and be a .500 team over the next 3 or 4 seasons (and then start rebuilding after), or trade them off now for young talent and be a .250-.400 team over the next 2 or 3 seasons (and then be in a position to compete for Lombardis in years to come)?

Unless we have the first pick in the draft, we won't get him. Trading even from a fifth pick to a first pick requires a couple of first round picks at least based on trade value, too much to give up. I'd rather hope Peyton comes back, select Alshon Jeffery as the Brandon Marshall like WR talent from South Carolina in round 1 and select Kirk Cousins, QB, of Michigan State in round 2 that has good zip on his delivery with a lot of upside.

I agree with you on this one. Cousins is a stud. I also would like the colts to look at Moore from Boise state. His football IQ is amazing and he does a lot of play calling from the line of scrimmage. Idk we will see.

I agree with you on this one. Cousins is a stud. I also would like the colts to look at Moore from Boise state. His football IQ is amazing and he does a lot of play calling from the line of scrimmage. Idk we will see.

The other option I thought about is getting 2 for 1 first round picks from the Browns. The Browns have pick No.14 and a first round pick from the Atlanta Falcons (for Julio Jones). Let us just say the Falcons finish somewhere at best as a wild card in the NFC, we can exchange maybe a pick No.8 or No.10 (assuming we pick there) for pick No.14 and pick No.22 (say) and get 2 first round picks in exchange for our first since our needs to re-tool different positions will become more obvious as the year goes on.

I would not mind that one bit.

stupid question but.. who is this guy? i have no idea as theres no Football news in Denmark

Andrew Luck is being described as the surest thing at QB since Peyton Manning/John Elway and a good bet to be a true franchise QB in the NFL.

We shall see about all that.... but he receives high marks in all aspects of QB play such as arm strength, accuracy, decision-making / reading defenses, mobility and intangibles such as high character, work ethic and academic smarts. He's achieved alot at a highly ranked Stanford program, so the hype is to be expected.

IMO....if the Colts wind up with a draft position of 1st overall, we should draft him. If we wind up drafting 2nd or 3rd overall....we should make an aggressive effort to trade up and draft him. Any lower of a draft position than 3rd overall....and he will likely be too costly.

I am just going to say this while I can make the case for us drafting Luck if we think he's the next Manning and franly that might very well be the right call I am not going to complain at all about another player that was in this draft that we should have taken over Luck because I would be one saying he we should take Luck. The down side is if we have a really high draft pick and don't draft Luck Luck isn't going to do much to help us win or lose games or address any needs for another four years probably. It could very well be the smart thing to do would be trade the pick and get more future picks and draft another player who can help us now of course then you have to be ready to maybe ripped for trading the next Peyton Manning. It's a hard call that is probably going to be spun against the Colts and namely Polian by those who don't like him.

With that all said we are putting the cart way in front of the horse right now. We have 15 more games to play. A lot of people didn't think we would beat the Texans with Manning let alone without him. I'll be a lot more concerned if we have the same lackluster performance against the Browns on Sunday.

Andrew Luck is being described as the surest thing at QB since Peyton Manning/John Elway and a good bet to be a true franchise QB in the NFL.

We shall see about all that.... but he receives high marks in all aspects of QB play such as arm strength, accuracy, decision-making / reading defenses, mobility and intangibles such as high character, work ethic and academic smarts. He's achieved alot at a highly ranked Stanford program, so the hype is to be expected.

IMO....if the Colts wind up with a draft position of 1st overall, we should draft him. If we wind up drafting 2nd or 3rd overall....we should make an aggressive effort to trade up and draft him. Any lower of a draft position than 3rd overall....and he will likely be too costly.

ok thanks.

While I appreciate your moxy, trying to make trades for guys like Brackett, Vinatieri, Saturday or even Addai would be lucky to get us a 7th round pick for the whole package. OK maybe that's a bit extreme but not by much. Vini and Saturday are at the ends of their careers and Addai hasn't shown enough as a runner to fetch much of an asking price. And don't get me started on Brackett.

I'm iffy on that. I don't like to see my QB go to make a tackle just because of the risk of injury. It's like that game we had last year (I forget which) but we ran a reverse and Manning ended up blocking. I never want to see that, I don't want to see my franchise QB trying to tackle or block someone. I would rather my QB just push the guy out of bounds instead of trying to make a tackle

I agree...did you happen to see the block-without-blocking from Tony Romo? That's about the all I'd want to see from my franchise QB :)http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FF97me7IYMo

I fully agree. No other QB is going to be able to run the offense like Manning does...period. There's never been a QB before him that is as in control of the offense as he is and there won't be another one for a long, long time. Our offensive system is going to have to be adjusted for the new QB so might as well just wait until Manning retires, or maybe the year before, to start looking for his replacement. If, in the mean time, we continue to improve our defense and running game, then maybe the transition period between Manning and his successor won't be quite so bad and it will make the team all the more formidable while Peyton is still here.

I don't think we'll be bad enough to get the #1 pick, although if we do, we have to take Luck. Perfect match with the horseshoe on the helmet and his name and all. Oh, and the fact that he's a stud. He's NFL ready.

If we get the #1, there's also a good possibility that we draft Luck and *gulp* trade him for a couple guys who can fill in those holes. Veterans who can help from Day 1 to bring another Lombardi to Indy before Manning retires. That is a tough choice though, because if we aren't building for post-Manning now, it's going to hit us hard. From what we saw today, this franchise is not prepared in any way for the next era.

GO COLTS!

Ahh finally a man after my own heart. :drink: The only picks I want to see on offense are up to 2 for OL and 1 for WR. Spend the rest on defense...unless we are able to somehow acquire extra picks.

at this point draft picks have diminishing value for a team like the colts....peyton, freeney, reggie, clark, saturday, are all on the wrong side of 30. i would trade the pick(s) for a proven player.

1. The Packers got extremely lucky to have Rodgers fall that far.

2. There are no guarantees, so I wouldn't dare waste picks or players to move up for him. Obviously, if we are picking first, there are no stud linemen on either side of the ball available, no stud WR, and Luck is unquestionably the BPA, then we take him. Only then would I even consider it.

People need to stop being so starry eyed about the Favre-Rodgers transition. It just doesn't happen like that but once in a generation.

+1