Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Kerry Collins Mobility...

MoM

I brought this up and was quickly "informed" how it was no worse than Mannings. After watching this game, I think Peyton could run circles around Collins. Peyton could foot dance around him all day. This is a huge problem for a team with a terrible O-line. We need a QB in there who can scramble and throw on the move.

I brought this up and was quickly "informed" how it was no worse than Mannings. After watching this game, I think Peyton could run circles around Collins. Peyton could foot dance around him all day. This is a huge problem for a team with a terrible O-line. We need a QB in there who can scramble and throw on the move.

Who do you have in mind?

Who do you have in mind?

This is collins first game but i would say David or better yet Painter... Wayne said this was a step back getting collins and he seems right so far... at least the rest of the team is comfortable with painter... i actually felt like a raiders fan today just looking at the players faces... lol i gotta say i do not like that feeling.

On another note would be nice to have an O-line that can protect the QB. I know Peyton can get out of situations but not sure if he could have with the way the line played today. Maybe it's a blessing that he can't play right now after what he has gone through I would hate to see him get a career season injury behind this line. Lets see what happens next week.

At least the Steelers got beat worse than we did. lol

Its not Collins inability to "scramble" like Manning. Peyton is no more of a scrambler than is Collins. The difference you're looking for is Manning's footwork, which has done nothing but get better over the years.

Collins drags his feet, Manning pops rhythmically to suite his throwing motion.

That being said, Manning's best footwork couldn't have done squat against some of those rushes.

Its not Collins inability to "scramble" like Manning. Peyton is no more of a scrambler than is Collins. The difference you're looking for is Manning's footwork, which has done nothing but get better over the years.

Collins drags his feet, Manning pops rhythmically to suite his throwing motion.

That being said, Manning's best footwork couldn't have done squat against some of those rushes.

Agree

Manning isn't Mike Vick, but I've seen him avoid PLENTY of sacks just by moving up in the pocket, or bouncing to the left or right to buy some time.

I think Collins is too use to decent pass protection, welcome to the Colts Kerry.

This is the best point.....we're used to Peyton's quick release and Kerry C's release is not quick.

I saw positives in the second half and this was a game we figured to lose. Kerry missed a wide open TD.

Wayne ran well and Collins found him. I liked how he was emotionless...That's how you have to be when things are going wrong..

...and if he doenst give those two early fumbles..its a competitive game...

The second half was MUCH better than the first and Maybe I overestimated how well he could learn the offense in 3 weeks.

This was a game we could afford to lose but not next week, though. Its a must-win.

My concern is Collins' health. He took some serious hits. We have to clean up the protection. Dallas blocking vs Mario Wilimas wasnt getting it done.

Dont give up...I think we win next week...

My concern is Collins' health. He took some serious hits. We have to clean up the protection.

This^^^^ +1

Beautifully put and exactly what I was about to comment on. Kerry will not withstand even a half season of that sort of abuse.

If the coaching staff really feels as bad as I do (and many of us do) about Painter, it might be prudent to garner yet another vet QB and start to groom him to our system.

The foresight that has evaded our backup QB positions has got to come into focus NOW. Not when Collins gets carted off in the 4th quarter of a close match, NOW.

We're going to get Collins killed. Then it's Painter in to save the day.

Until we get him killed.

After that, who knows?

Maybe we bring back Orlovsky...

Until we get him killed.

I say we put Polian back there and let him try to do something behind that line. I bet he'd go out of his way to fill it with adequate players for next season if he had to see what our QB's and RB's go through up close and personal...

From what I saw, the O-Line did a horrible job most of the day in pass protection.

Collins isn't mobile, but there was little he could do give the protection he had.

My fear, is that Collins isn't going to live long with that O-Line and then it will be Painter's turn.

Once that happens, and it may be the case regardless of who the QB is.....Andrew Luck may find himself getting fit for a horseshoue hat to wear next Apri;.

Not Collins fault he was getting killed every play.

Dear Polian,

Please get rid of Linkenbach.

Love,

Indianapolis Colts fans

:D Don't forget that on at least two of the sacks it was Clark getting tossed aside like a rag doll by Williams. I don't know if there was a coaching problem preparing for this, but you know darn well that Manning would have been gesticulating like a crazy person and gotten a second body on Williams, or else had Clark slide past him and take a dump off which might have made Williams rethink his obligations. Collins just stood there obliviously until getting obliterated.

It's not surprising - that's Collins - but I'd like to think that something could have been done to at least prevent the second one.

I cannot believe you guys are being so hard on Kerry Collins. For having such little time to prepare he did an awesome job. That sack (and fumble) was not his fault, Mario would have got any QB with that block by the TE. The snap is just to be expected from having such little camp time.

I wish I was so spoiled by having the best QB of all time.

What do they have Painter for? If he is backup, then be backup. I personally think he is a better bet than Collins. They are probably going to lose with either one but at least give Painter a chance.

What makes you say that? Painter is the guy you have when your starter is working towards 250 straight games. Collins is much more proven and it wasn't too long ago he went 13-3. He has more passing yards than McNabb. Cut him some slack.

Collins isn't the problem.

He showed he has an arm (too bad garcon didn't catch it)

He showed accuracy.

Overall, I think he played smart. (No interceptions) The fumbles I blame on the OL.

He just needs a reasonable amount of time.

I still think it was a great pickup. Just find a way to give the guy a chance.

I've said all along Collins two biggest draw backs are that he doesn't have the footwork like Manning and he doesn't have Manning's release. That's why I felt that line play was going to be so important. On plays where Collins had time he showed can make throws other than some timing issues which will come when he has more than 17 days in the offense. I don't think these other QBs that are being thrown around are going to be able to make the throws that Collins can. Also Painter's footwork is not much better. Bottom line regardless of the QB the line has to play better and give him more than two seconds to throw the ball. This is a line problem not a QB problem.

I used my stop watch to time see how much time collins had before he got sacked and it was 1.7 seconds and 1.8 . Hes being here for 17 days not three weeks . The problem is the crappy line we continue to have year in and year out. Painter just completely sucks n would of done worse by far. That game he had in preseason was pure luck . it was a blown coverage n he was looking at wayne the whole time. the other one was ok but if u saw manning on the sidelines he was smiling like he couldnt believe he threw that td. Heck i dont think painter could believe it. So please stop with painter would do better. If the oline gives him a little time maybe and extra second collins would do fine. He can make all the throws n has a good arm. Please stop comparing him to manning hes been here 17 days .I think he did ok considering the circumstances. The oline is just plain horrible.

Collins isn't the problem.

He showed he has an arm (too bad garcon didn't catch it)

He showed accuracy.

Overall, I think he played smart. (No interceptions) The fumbles I blame on the OL.

He just needs a reasonable amount of time.

I still think it was a great pickup. Just find a way to give the guy a chance.

I agree for the most part. Give him at least 2-3 real games to adjust he has shown he has the skills just has to get the feel for this team. It wouldnt take long of Painter being out there for all of you to be yelling for them to put Collins in.

Kerry is an immobile QB and has less "pocket presence" than Peyton ( so he needs to stay in the pocket but will need to just take a sack and protect the ball more often than Peyton) but playing QB is ALL about being able to make good decisions and being able to throw the ball. Kerry has by far the best arm on the team, when he has protection he will deliver the ball and he will make the best decisions.