Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Aaron Rodgers will be recognized as the G.O.A.T when it's all said and done

Demon

I would say Luck first based on size and strength and you are underestimating his arm strength like many have all season IMO along with his mobility. Dude took a pounding all year with a bad o line/never got hurt and helped lead his team to 11 wins too and then lost in the playoffs in Baltimore to the Ray Lewis retirement party. Give this kid some more o line help and he is gonna rock the league. Griffin might have been on IR by week 4 with Indy's o line IMO.

I've watched Luck play and while his arm certainly isn't Chad Pennington's, Philip Rivers's, or Peyton Manning's (who also had a weak arm but made up for it by having supreme touch, timing, etc.), it is not in the echelon of Ben, Rodgers, RG3, Newton, or Stafford.

I do think Luck was hurt by the end of the year. It doesn't have to show up on the injury report to be hurt. He clearly wore down in the last four-to-five games, evidenced by the dip in accuracy and decision making.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rodgers is THE worst come-from-behind QB in the NFL right now.

If a team has a lead against the Packers in the 4th quarter, it's virtually guaranteed that that team has nothing to worry about.

I rarely agree with you but on this front, I have to.

I look at the number of comeback wins Peyton, Brady and Brees have, Rodgers is not even in the ballpark while playing from behind. He does throw an accurate and tight spiral and is deadly on the run and his velocity does not allow for his passes to be picked off easily, and that contributes a lot to low INTs and higher passer rating, IMO.

He does hold the ball longer than any of the above 3 QBs I mentioned (though Brady holds it because he can with his O-line protection but not because he has to while Brees and Peyton release it quickly even when they dont have to sometimes) and that leads to coverage sacks more. Better sacks than INTs, right?

Brees is an awesome quarterback but he's a terrible decision maker. Like a Rex Grossman with arm strength and accuracy. He ALWAYS throws it into double coverage. Puts way too much trust in his (mostly) garbage receivers. It's why he throws so many picks.

I've watched Luck play and while his arm certainly isn't Chad Pennington's, Philip Rivers's, or Peyton Manning's (who also had a weak arm but made up for it by having supreme touch, timing, etc.), it is not in the echelon of Ben, Rodgers, RG3, Newton, or Stafford.

I do think Luck was hurt by the end of the year. It doesn't have to show up on the injury report to be hurt. He clearly wore down in the last four-to-five games, evidenced by the dip in accuracy and decision making.

Sadly it did, he was on the injury report for much of the season with "knee" even though he did not miss any practice or games or rested at all.

Luckily for Luck (heh). He said rest is only needed this offseason. No surgery.

I love Manning. But he is hustling the refs after every play if it doesnt go his way. Brady flat put screams at them and throws tantrums.

TomBrady.jpg

Very true. Bigger star=bigger head=more complaining to the refs.

I don't think you understand. It has nothing to do with bigger head, or even star for that matter (tho that might help)

Ever heard the term "sqeaky wheel gets the grease" ?

Both coaches and players lobby the refs. If a bad call goes against you and you don't say anything......figure it out, there will be no make up calls.

Now you can over do it and tee off a ref. It's a fine line the coach and player (the QB in football) walk.

I don't think you understand. It has nothing to do with bigger head, or even star for that matter (tho that might help)

Ever heard the term "sqeaky wheel gets the grease" ?

Both coaches and players lobby the refs. If a bad call goes against you and you don't say anything......figure it out, there will be no make up calls.

Now you can over do it and tee off a ref. It's a fine line the coach and player (the QB in football) walk.

I view it like this too. It's like when coaches work the refs a bit. You may get a call a some crucial time that will get your team a first down and additional yards.

Crying about the day he was drafted. Was upset he was a sixth round selection

If anyone would like to actually see the segment it's here:

Brady is talking about talking a walk with his Mom and Dad on draft day, reminiscing about their support on what he said was "a very emotional day. "

I'm the first in line to crack jokes when Brady does something fruity, but this one? Can't fault him. That must have been a difficult day, watching everything he worked for almost going down the tubes.

If anyone would like to actually see the segment it's here:

Brady is talking about talking a walk with his Mom and Dad on draft day, reminiscing about their support on what he said was "a very emotional day. "

I'm the first in line to crack jokes when Brady does something fruity, but this one? Can't fault him. That must have been a difficult day, watching everything he worked for almost going down the tubes.

I have no problem with it. I'm sure it was very tough for him and his family. I was just using it as a way to debunk the fact that a guy can be sensitive and be a great leader

I view it like this too. It's like when coaches work the refs a bit. You may get a call a some crucial time that will get your team a first down and additional yards.

Yeah, a lot of fans watch TV and might not like a QB and think he's just whining. Even a linemen will go to a ref and say "come on Joe this guy has been holding me all day"  He might get a call down the road. This is true in all sports for all ages.

if you say nothin' you will get nothin' :)

Yeah, a lot of fans watch TV and might not like a QB and think he's just whining. Even a linemen will go to a ref and say "come on Joe this guy has been holding me all day" He might get a call down the road. This is true in all sports for all ages.

if you say nothin' you will get nothin' :)

That is true and I do understand. I am saying it seems like the star players (like Manning and Brady) seem a little over the top sometimes. They get away with jawing that would get them ejected in the NBA. Of course you have to make your case. That's gamesmanship. You have to tey to level the playing field as far as penalties as much as possible. I just think stars sometime seem like primadonnas because of the sheer volume (amount. Not loudness) of complaints.

He's not even the best Green Bay QB yet, and you are annointing him the GOAT? He's a great player, for sure, but don't jump the gun. By the way, there never will be a GOAT, impossible to even get anywhere near confirming one. Probably ever.... 

Why not just have him as your GOAT, then nobody will be disappointed?

Are you talking about Starr or Favre?  He's already better than Favre.  Starr is a bit more of a complex discussion.

He's not better than either (if you are looking at the complete body of work). YET. If he keeps up this pace, for a good few years, then I will agree.

I'm not looking at complete body of work.  Favre has one of the largest complete bodies of work of anyone in the NFL but he was never as good as Rodgers is now.

That is true and I do understand. I am saying it seems like the star players (like Manning and Brady) seem a little over the top sometimes. They get away with jawing that would get them ejected in the NBA. Of course you have to make your case. That's gamesmanship. You have to tey to level the playing field as far as penalties as much as possible. I just think stars sometime seem like primadonnas because of the sheer volume (amount. Not loudness) of complaints.

The QB stars just get more camera. Believe me linemen are doing it too..probably in commercial breaks:)

I think the speed of basketball and hockey would preclude any long jawing by players.

Now baseball the manager jaws what seems like hours.... until he's ejected :)

Had a GOAT regular season in 2011. Actually, when you look closer Rodgers season is just as impressive as 2004 Manning, and better than 2007 Brady.

lol there it is

Love coming to the Colts message board.  Incapable of giving Brady any accolades or credit..   Talk about Rodgers as a GOAT who is "just as" impressive as Manning.. but obviously better than Brady.. lol.  Its just comical at this point.

I can't wait until Brady puts a serious beating on the Broncos in the AFCCG and has Manning sucking his thumb and crying for his momma.

I have no problem with it. I'm sure it was very tough for him and his family. I was just using it as a way to debunk the fact that a guy can be sensitive and be a great leader

I agree. Very few great leaders, in sports and otherwise, are not highly emotional people, I think. There's something to be said for keeping a calm, cool head, but as human beings our passion is most evident in our emotions.

but how can we determine how much of that is him and how much of it is the people around him?

You can't, all offensive production is the result of a team.  Unless of course you're talking to Manning worshipers, then its all Peyton Manning... everyone else is a product of the talent around him.

Aaron Rodgers is an amazingly talented QB, he is the future of the QB position because hes also got some pretty good speed with his legs as well and can make plays running the ball, but still has the elite passing skills as a pocket passer.  What he did this year with all of the injuries to his receiving core and his running backs is pretty remarkable, hes very consistent and is always in the top 3 or so for stats.

GOAT is a subjective term though, no one can be labeled the GOAT because its purely opinion based, but Rodgers may definitely be in the conversation at some point in the not so distant future.  Actually if he wins another SB then he would definitely be in the conversation already.

Wait a minute.

What's up with this revisionist history about Peyton's arm? He used to have one of the strongest arms in the league. As he called it on one of his innumerable commercials, a laser rocket arm.

Was it the strongest? No, but it was top 5. Now he's using better touch and great decision-making to make up for the loss of arm strength.

Now Peyton doesn't complain, eh?

Wow, I love revisionist history.

http://i.usatoday.net/sports/gallery/2010/NFL/WeeklyGallery/week13/n1pg-vertical.jpg

Please. He set the standard well before Brady.

Any good Quarterback is going to complain and try to make the case to the refs to help his team.  I don;t hold that against Manning the same as I don't hold it against Brady or any other QB for that matter..

Wait a minute.

What's up with this revisionist history about Peyton's arm? He used to have one of the strongest arms in the league. As he called it on one of his innumerable commercials, a laser rocket arm.

Was it the strongest? No, but it was top 5. Now he's using better touch and great decision-making to make up for the loss of arm strength.

No. It's why there was so much controversey between him and Leaf: Leaf had the strong arm and was athletic, Peyton was the field general who wasn't as physically gifted but could decipher coverage like no other. He NEVER had a top 5 arm but was always the smartest player on the field.

..and he was one and done every other time. Coincidentally when his D wasnt playing at an lite level.

I understand the ONE sack fumble and whatnot, but he had 5 freaking touchdowns against the Cardinals. The defense gave up FIFTY points. How you can fault him there is unbelievable.

Otherwise, he has been in the playoffs one other time, and yes he did not play well that game, but to fault him is ridiculous. The only quarterback that exceeds him as a post season player in the past several years is Drew Brees, who has been unbelievable in the playoffs.

Now Peyton doesn't complain, eh?

Wow, I love revisionist history.

http://i.usatoday.net/sports/gallery/2010/NFL/WeeklyGallery/week13/n1pg-vertical.jpg

Please. He set the standard well before Brady.

I remember that game. The linebacker got a clear pass interference and managed to pick off the ball for a score. There was no flag thrown and it turned the tide of the game around.

Sorry but Joe Montana is still the greatest to ever play this game at quarterback position. It is Unitas and Montana, no one else. Not Manning, not Brady, not Rodgers, and not Brees.

It doesn't matter. I would love to see Manning, Rodgers, Brady, and Brees play in Montana's era without all the roughing the passer and constant pass interference penalties. No one can deny that they all benefit from this to quite some extent. When Joe Cool played, the game was totally different. Look at defenses today and look at them back then. You had the '84 49ers, the '85 Bears, '86 Giants, '87 Redskins, '88/'89 49ers, and the '90 Giants and '90 Bills. Those defenses were absolute monsters. Just watch some of those old Redskins games, they absolutely mauled the WR's, and no flags back then.

As much as I love Drew Brees, I wasn't all that thrilled when he broke Marino's record, cause it just don't mean as much as it did back then. Marino's record was nothing to be proud of back then either, considering the Dolphins had no run game at all while he was airing it out so much. Watch that Super Bowl Marino played in. Everyone was predicting it to be a shoot out between Montana and Marino. Bill Walsh played a Nickel that entire game, just begging Marino to throw it since he put up those godly 5,000+ stats. The Dolphins lost, because Marino wouldn't run the ball. Walsh was going to force him to beat him with the run and he didn't.  Everyone calls Brees a stad padder, but so is Manning, and so is Brady, and for your sake, Rodgers likes to run his stats up too when they keep him in the game, because it's some agenda to just not run the ball in this era of video game football. You know who was not a stat padder? Favre....but no one cares about that right?

It's actually funny say Rodgers is not a statpadding machine like Brady and Brees, because Manning is a stat padder too when he's dropping back to continue to throw and run scores up and not run the ball when you're up 20-30 points at the end of the game.

When it's all said and done, Joe Montana is still the greatest quarterback of all time, and you know it. Either Joe Cool or Johnny U. One or the other, no QB today or tomorrow is going to replace them.

Look at Rodgers come from behind wins, and you could make an argument that Brett Favre is better than him. You might be laughing at that, but Favre was one of the best, and all I ever hear about is how he threw games away, even though Manning threw a game winning touchdown in the Super Bowl right to Tracy Porter he gets a pass but Favre is still drug through the mud as this bad bad guy who everyone loved that constantly threw picks.

At this rate, no one is ever going to pass Joe Cool or Johnny U. This is a useless argument.

Are you talking about Starr or Favre? He's already better than Favre. Starr is a bit more of a complex discussion.considering ALL the players when Gruden coached the Raiders they nicknamed Jerry Rice the GOAT. As far as just Packers QBs Rodgers vs Favre is a tight call IMO. Both have 1 ring(hoping Rodgers has 2 as of Feb 3rd)stat wise Rodgers is better. As far as Rodgers vs Starr. Starr won like 5 Championships for the Packers. 2 of them SBs of course. Not sure if Rodgers will pass Starr