Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Manning Is The Heart Of The Colts

DILLIGAFER

Kerry Colllins gave up an easy 14 points.

The defense is obviously gonna struggle when the colts cant move the ball and the texans only have to go 50 yards each drive.

Peyton Manning plays this game we win 27-21. at least.

If Peyton played we still would have lost because he would have been rusty and playing with a dead arm. Let Peyton sit and heal up...this team will take their lumps but will get have good draft picks next year for when Peyton does return.

In my opinion, where Manning would've made a difference today is he likely would not have lost 3 sack fumbles that put the D in bad situations and would've stayed on the field longer with more sustained drives that could've kept the game close and kept the Colts out of 3rd and long more often.

The D played terrible but Manning changes the entire dynamic of the game.

Payton, may be the heart of the team, but a heart can't survive very long without a body. If the Colts coaches have any brains. they will get rid of Collins and stick with Painter. If we are going to get beat up, let's at least let Painter get the experience time. Not some smuck like Collins.

I am starting to lean this way myself. Painter should get the experience...this team is not going anywhere this year regardless. Either the Colts can make the choice themselves or opposing defenses will make it for them when Collins gets put out. The man is oblivious to pressure. Not a good thing when you are 38.

You made my point for me.

haha Perhaps in a way I did.

Really, we all know how important to this team Peyton is. It was built for him and around him according to his abilities.

It takes time to make asjustments when your #1 player is not there.

I think it will happen. We have outstanding players who can step up when the proper adjustments are made.

In my opinion, where Manning would've made a difference today is he likely would not have lost 3 sack fumbles that put the D in bad situations and would've stayed on the field longer with more sustained drives that could've kept the game close and kept the Colts out of 3rd and long more often.

Peyton isn't infallible. An injured Peyton may have just tossed 6 interceptions instead. He's done it before. Just sayin.

Peyton woulda been gettin his butt kicked today.

First of all, I don't think anyone needs to be reminded that Peyton is the heart of the Colts. If you didn't know that you've been in a coma for over a decade.

Second, I totally agree with you Ruksak. If there is something to be thankful about with Peyton being out, it's that he doesn't have to get killed while the O-line learns how to play with each other. And maybe our coaches will learn that you can't have Dallas contain Williams.

(I'll also insert my usual gripe about our ST coach - Why does he still have a job?)

If Peyton played we still would have lost because he would have been rusty and playing with a dead arm. Let Peyton sit and heal up...this team will take their lumps but will get have good draft picks next year for when Peyton does return.

im saying healthy peyton, not the one who couldnt practice because there was too much pain....

you comparing what healthy peyton vs healthy kerry gives us? which is the comparison you need to make when you compare how good they are...

im saying healthy peyton, not the one who couldnt practice because there was too much pain....

you comparing what healthy peyton vs healthy kerry gives us? which is the comparison you need to make when you compare how good they are...

Thats all fine and dandy but isn't the reality that is presently before us. It's Healthy Kerry vs. Injured Peyton vs. Healthy Painter. Right now I'm starting to lean towards healthy Painter just cause he could get some valuable experience that could benefit him in the future.

Who wouldn't take a healthy Peyton but he isn't healthy and won't be for some time.

I dunno, if the defense goes out there with the mentality that "since Peyton is playing, we can make a few mistakes because he will score", they have the wrong mindset. It doesn't matter who is playing QB for you, you try to stop the offense from gaining yards and scoring points. Of course, Peyton gives the entire team more confidence, but I thought our defense was always out to prove that they aren't soft, that they can stop the run, that they are one of the top defenses in the league.

I dunno, if the defense goes out there with the mentality that "since Peyton is playing, we can make a few mistakes because he will score", they have the wrong mindset. It doesn't matter who is playing QB for you, you try to stop the offense from gaining yards and scoring points. Of course, Peyton gives the entire team more confidence, but I thought our defense was always out to prove that they aren't soft, that they can stop the run, that they are one of the top defenses in the league.

Yeah I can forgive the offense for looking inept due to current circumstances but that defensive performance was down right embarassing. At least play like you are a NFL unit. Have some friggin pride in yourselves!

I'm just saying at least Manning might've led more sustained drives that could've at least have given the D a breather. A healthy Manning could've gotten a lead early and tempt the Texans away from their gameplan or put more pressure on their O to respond.

Not saying Manning would've changed the outcome, just that he would've changed the dynamic - this is all assuming he's healthy, naturally.

the defense was put in a pretty crappy spot... twice we gave them the ball in scoring position on kerry collins fumbles. 1 was a punt return TD. They did force a few turnovers. You have to believe that with a capable offense the game is much much different.

Maybe but as fans we always find way to make excuses for the team we love. They got run on and thrown on at will. This garbage has been happening on D for awhile. We have the same problems year after year, change coaches, coordinators, draft new players yet they never get fixed. Oh well...I've seen worse days as a Colts fan. This too shall pass.

I'm just saying at least Manning might've led more sustained drives that could've at least have given the D a breather. A healthy Manning could've gotten a lead early and tempt the Texans away from their gameplan or put more pressure on their O to respond.

Not saying Manning would've changed the outcome, just that he would've changed the dynamic - this is all assuming he's healthy, naturally.

Can't argue with that, if you're allowing that Peyton would have survived some of the missed blocks from the O-line.

Peyton doesn't play defense or special teams. He is the face of the franchise, but you can't really make a strong case that the poor defensive and special teams play was because of him being out

D would of at least had more confidence knowing Peyton can always bring them back, confidence is a big factor and 2 fumbles inside our own 20 setting up early TDs and untill proven otherwise , teams will feels we cant come from behind and that gives other teams confidence, but yeah the punt return TD, the DB coverage & the run stopping ability was awfull, during the game announcers said Caldwell said he put in a simpler more aggressive D, i didnt see it but maybe being down so much so early he altered the agreesiveness plan

D had no rest whatsoever also and thats a factor

Collins can throw deep with accuracy if he gets the time

True, but we kicked off to them. So right off the bat, Peyton is on the sidelines. And if the defense played like it did today (giving up 5 consecutive scores), Peyton would have a very difficult time getting a lead.

we kicked off to them and almost immediately got a turnover the D was put in horrible situations. Did they play good? no. They played the same way they have played for most of the past 8 years. They just didnt have peyton sustaining drives and capitilizing off turnovers to give them a breather and some hope.

I mean say instead of 2 fumbles the colts lead two 5 minute drives that get field goals, which is a low place to set the bar. Texans dont score those 2 quick TD's and we are talking about 20-6 instead. Maybe get just 2 first downs on the drive before the punt return and that doesnt happen. 13-6.

I know these are all "what ifs" but all of those are very likely done by peyton with his eyes closed. People saying a healthy peyton and we still would have lost are terribly wrong. Like i said earlier, they wouldve won with a healthy peyton. easily.

we kicked off to them and almost immediately got a turnover the D was put in horrible situations. Did they play good? no. They played the same way they have played for most of the past 8 years. They just didnt have peyton sustaining drives and capitilizing off turnovers to give them a breather and some hope.

I mean say instead of 2 fumbles the colts lead two 5 minute drives that get field goals, which is a low place to set the bar. Texans dont score those 2 quick TD's and we are talking about 20-6 instead. Maybe get just 2 first downs on the drive before the punt return and that doesnt happen. 13-6.

I know these are all "what ifs" but all of those are very likely done by peyton with his eyes closed. People saying a healthy peyton and we still would have lost are terribly wrong. Like i said earlier, they wouldve won with a healthy peyton. easily.

We lost to them last year with a healthy Peyton. There are no guarantees we win if Peyton played. Texans are a good team capable of beating the Colts on any given Sunday even with Manning.

Peyton isn't infallible. An injured Peyton may have just tossed 6 interceptions instead. He's done it before. Just sayin.

Against a D that is inexperienced in the 3-4? We're talking about a Manning that would've been able to play competitively

So that's poor logic. Given Manning's ridiculously good track record against the Texans. Although I still think we would lose, saying Manning would throw 6 picks because he's done it before is a weak argument, that can't be backed up by actual facts or his history.

This game was lost at the offensive line, you can blame the D.

But 2 fumbles on offense inside the 20 isn't fair to the D.

Against a D that is inexperienced in the 3-4? We're talking about a Manning that would've been able to play competitively

So that's poor logic. Given Manning's ridiculously good track record against the Texans. Although I still think we would lose, saying Manning would throw 6 picks because he's done it before is a weak argument, that can't be backed up by actual facts or his history.

This game was lost at the offensive line, you can blame the D.

But 2 fumbles on offense inside the 20 isn't fair to the D.

Peyton has had his bad games too which is my main point. The six INT game against the Chargers and the bad stretch last year when he was throwing pick 6's left and right. These games are few and wide between but nevertheless he is capable of stinking it up on an off day. Just pointing these games out for those who act as if he is infallible.

So you can't just say you put him in today and Colts automatically win. Texans whipped a Manning led Colts team on opening day last year. Sorry not buying that they are guaranteed a win today with Peyton with the way the rest of this team played today.