Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Clear cut face mask penalties ignored

oldunclemark

i agree, I was pretty upset about those. then theres the offsides by kruger. the catch by avery. it was like the refs were trying to give it to the ravens. but we still could of beat them. to many drops, to many bonehead plays on D.

We should have been ahead 3-0 or 7-0 early..Two vivid face mark penalsties..simply ignored...cant say it would have changed the outcome.......but it was very frustrating to see those fouls not called

They said you can cover a face mask with your arm, you just can't grab it. I'll go back and look. Eventually.

Don't make excuses.  we also got a fumble recovery that we didn't recover to take points away from Baltimore.  These are the refs we wanted remember?

He wasn't making excuse for the loss. He was just making an observation. He clearly said he "can't say if it would have changed the outcome"

Don't make excuses.  we also got a fumble recovery that we didn't recover to take points away from Baltimore.  These are the refs we wanted remember?

Wrong...These are NOT the refs I wanted..the replacement refs were as good as these guys. I've been saying that all year.

You cant turn the face mask..especialy on the QB..

The truth isnt an excuse

The penalties should have been called...and they werent. That's all I said...

The outcome is what it is...

..but I was upset when GB got cheated at Seattle..and I dont have any stock in GB..

...The outcome of the game does not alter the fact that when bad calls are made they should be called out...

If they would've called those two face-masking penalties, we would've gotten an extra 30 yards on the ensuing punt/FG. Which means we would've clearly won that game, because in Bizarro-World that's how things work.  

Obviously not....the key phrase missed if you didnt read the post was

"I cant say it would have changed the outcome"

Obviously not....the key phrase missed if you didnt read the post was

"I cant say it would have changed the outcome"

Would you please just allow me to vent like a hyper-spastic goof and knock it off with your reasonable responses? 

In all seriousness, I was up in arms over those missed calls at the time because they came right after that absolutely terrible PI call on Vaughn, who had beaten the receiver to the spot and IMO it was offensive interference if anything. 

None of these issues really led to the outcome. It was just a story of youth vs experience.

If they would've called those two face-masking penalties, we would've gotten an extra 30 yards on the ensuing punt/FG. Which means we would've clearly won that game, because in Bizarro-World that's how things work.  

In other words. "If a bull frog had wings............

Well????

I wanna know!!!!

"If a bullfrog had wings" what? TELL ME WHAT WOULD HAPPEN IF A BULLFROG HAD WINGS!!!!!

This is a very exciting prospect and I must know. 

It's simple... If a bull frog had wings, it wouldn't be a "genious donkey" on this topic. LOL

Wrong...These are NOT the refs I wanted..the replacement refs were as good as these guys. I've been saying that all year.

You cant turn the face mask..especialy on the QB..

The truth isnt an excuse

Wrong. The replacements were no where near the quality of the current refs.

Ok so which were the refs that you wanted? Our only choices were the replacements and our current refs.

In every game there are a few no calls or bad calls. These guys are human. Do we want to start allowing penalties to be reviewable? And as was said, the fumble awarded to us was a terrible call that went our way. You win some And lose some. Thats just the way it is.

That

Wrong. The replacements were no where near the quality of the current refs.

Ok so which were the refs that you wanted? Our only choices were the replacements and our current refs.

In every game there are a few no calls or bad calls. These guys are human. Do we want to start allowing penalties to be reviewable? And as was said, the fumble awarded to us was a terrible call that went our way. You win some And lose some. Thats just the way it is.

Replacement refs didnt have anywhere hear the respect of the big bucks refs.....but the calls were no different, in my opinion.

..and I actually would like coaches to be able to challenge penalties

We should have been penalized for fielding such an inept line.

Today, our line looked horrible. I'm used to Andrew Luck running for dear life, but can we create any holes at all for Ballard?  :facepalm:  Yes, I know Baltimore like to move around on defense & keep the center guessing as to where to slide the protection, but if the linemen can't create lanes to reach the 2nd level & make the safety move to stop the ground attack the game is essentially over before it even begins IMO.  :sigh:

Today, our line looked horrible. I'm used to Andrew Luck running for dear life, but can we create any holes at all for Ballard?  :facepalm:  Yes, I know Baltimore like to move around on defense & keep the center guessing as to where to slide the protection, but if the linemen can't create lanes to reach the 2nd level & make the safety move to stop the ground attack the game is essentially over before it even begins IMO.  :sigh:

At least we know what we gotta work on Brother.But not like we didnt allready know,just reafirms it

Missed calls or not, this the refs you people wanted, when you thought they were better than the replacement refs. Once and for all, they are just as bad.

Carey is normally one of the better officials in the league and he gets that rep for letting players play (keep in mind he is the same guy who didn't call Eli in the grasps in the Super Bowl) .  He was doing it again today.  With that said I thought he let it go a little too far today but again that wasn't his crew either it was an all-star crew that the NFL likes to use. 

At least we know what we gotta work on Brother.But not like we didnt allready know,just reafirms it

Amen to that Jay!  :worthy: Case in point, just look at Marshawn Lynch in the Seattle/Skins game. Yes, he a great RB, but his linemen gave some holes to punch through today. If we do that in INDY, we will win Playoff games easily.

Man, I hope RG3 is okay BTW. Knee injuries that tear again can significantly shorten a QB's career. I hope that's not the case here, especially how he fell...Scary...

Amen to that Jay!  :worthy: Case in point, just look at Marshawn Lynch in the Seattle/Skins game. Yes, he a great RB, but his linemen gave some holes to punch through today. If we do that in INDY, we will win Playoff games easily.

Man, I hope RG3 is okay BTW. Knee injuries that tear again can significantly shorten a QB's career. I hope that's not the case here, especially how he fell...Scary...

Im with you on the line and RG3,hes to good of a talent for the league to loose this early in his career

Replay clearly shows that the ball came out and Angerer was first on top of it.

Replay clearly showed the ball came out and Angerer was the first to touch it, but the replay did not show Angerer getting complete possession of the ball.  In fact if anything, the replay showed that Angerer got his hand on the ball but was not able to completely bring it in to his body and it definitely appeared that the Baltimore player was able to get the ball away from Angerer.  The baltimore player came out of the pile with the ball.  I have no idea how they awarded the ball to the Colts.

It wouldn't change the outcome but I can complain if I like and I do like... the failure to call the face masks, the horse collar and all the holding is unacceptable with the league touting "player safety" ...a few misses (or just let 'em play) but when it's realized they can "get away with it" and it escalates to every play...then it should and needs to be flagged..

.that said...touch downs win football games, if you drive down the field and settle for 4 field goals (one missed) then you can't expect to win NFL play offs... 4X7=28..game won with touch downs! Good season and much more fun that expected, I was just hoping for it to last a little longer. Thanks Colts!

It wouldn't change the outcome but I can complain if I like and I do like... the failure to call the face masks, the horse collar and all the holding is unacceptable with the league touting "player safety" ...a few misses (or just let 'em play) but when it's realized they can "get away with it" and it escalates to every play...then it should and needs to be flagged..

.that said...touch downs win football games, if you drive down the field and settle for 4 field goals (one missed) then you can't expect to win NFL play offs... 4X7=28..game won with touch downs! Good season and much more fun that expected, I was just hoping for it to last a little longer. Thanks Colts!

That's all I was saying MCF...and you said it better than I did...

One of them was questionable, the other was not. The one on Ballard was clean, the one on Luck could have gone either way.

Mike Carey and his crew did an admirable job on the day. No complaints.

The one on Ballard turned his head almost 180 degrees!

Not that it would've changed anything, but that was a horrible non-call.

The one on Ballard turned his head almost 180 degrees!

Not that it would've changed anything, but that was a horrible non-call.

Thank you for saying that Lollygagger. I agree 100% that it would not have changed the outcome, but spinning a guy's head around like a top warrants a flag & a 2nd look IMO. Missing a  pass interference call in a Playoff game I can tolerate, but a blatant face mask penalty that is never called makes my blood boil.

Generally speaking, I like it when the refs call a game lose. However, when it comes to penalties that cold get someone hurt, I think they should be very strict.

I've been thinking they've gotten away from calling the face mask penalty this year. I've seen way to many not get called to think it's just a coincidence.

Replay clearly showed the ball came out and Angerer was the first to touch it, but the replay did not show Angerer getting complete possession of the ball.  In fact if anything, the replay showed that Angerer got his hand on the ball but was not able to completely bring it in to his body and it definitely appeared that the Baltimore player was able to get the ball away from Angerer.  The baltimore player came out of the pile with the ball.  I have no idea how they awarded the ball to the Colts.

The replay shows him bringing it into his body and a baltimore player falling on him.  Down by possession.