Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Do we really want to resign Joseph Addai?

Superman

Aren't we giving the tag to Manning. Hey, Addai only made 1.3M this last year, but then again it was his rookie contract. Anyways, he'll probably sign something like 3 years / 11M. The Colts are not a big team in the free agency; they don't go after anybody. He knows our system, and unless his contract is extremely outrageous, then they have no other choice, but the man wants to stay here and that's the most important thing.

This ^ is bassackwards.

1. "Tag" was my loose way of saying pricetag. Try n keep up.

2. "Colts aren't big in free agency." Really??? Thanks, Andy, for the Oracle-like knowledge drop.

3. Addai's wanting to stay is half of it at best. I don't care how bad he wants to stay it ain't happenin' for anywhere near the projected 6M. Like I said, a reasonable tag & he's a good one to keep around....but can and should be replaced if he thinks he's worth more than he is.

Stick with the CFL I don't need your Colts operational "lessons."

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't see the colts drafting Carter to take Harts place. Maybe Browns, but not Harts. I feel Addai has run his last time in Indy. Keep Carter, Hart, James, and Rhodes. I think Rhodes will take Addai's place as the Vet RB.

Hart was signed through the 2011 season but was realeased from his last contract year. What does that tell us?

By the way, Andy, I don't care how many negative rates you give my posts I'm always gonna call it like it is...most particulary with you. Go blog on that.

I never gave your comments on negative rate...

This ^ is bassackwards.

1. "Tag" was my loose way of saying pricetag. Try n keep up.

2. "Colts aren't big in free agency." Really??? Thanks, Andy, for the Oracle-like knowledge drop.

3. Addai's wanting to stay is half of it at best. I don't care how bad he wants to stay it ain't happenin' for anywhere near the projected 6M. Like I said, a reasonable tag & he's a good one to keep around....but can and should be replaced if he thinks he's worth more than he is.

Stick with the CFL I don't need your Colts operational "lessons."

First of all, I don't like to be disrespected like that, especially from a low life like you.

1. I don't know your terms and no one does, so don't tell me to keep up.

2. You agree with me, what I was trying to say is the Colts aren't going out and going after a Deangelo Williams of somebody like that.

3. Where the heck does it say that he wants 6M, he definetely doesn't want 6M, and the Colts won't give him 6M, but he's due for a raise, he only made 1.2M last year, and the years before that under 1M. I'm just saying it's unlikely that he's going anywhere because the Colts aren't signing big names, so they'll probably just keep who they have, but for a good price.

Lastly, I like the CFL, but I like the NFL more. There is no need to take shots at me like that, so I'm canadian, there are probably more canadians that like the NFL more than they like the CFL. Now I'm assuming that's a shot at my Colts knowledge, which is something I don't appreciate, and I would love to get in any argument with you anyday to show you how much I know, and you'd be surprised and it's probably more than you. Vote this down as many times as you like, but it doesn't change the fact that you're acting strangely and stupidly.

I don't know what the personal squabble is here, but I am going to ask you guys to chill.

First of all, I can see who gives positive or negative reps. And, I can assure you, everybodysgotone, that it was not Andy.

That means I can also see who gives a negative rep to a post that isn't deserving of a negative rep.

Also, a member can only give one negative rep per day.

I don't know what the personal squabble is here, but I am going to ask you guys to chill.

First of all, I can see who gives positive or negative reps. And, I can assure you, everybodysgotone, that it was not Andy.

That means I can also see who gives a negative rep to a post that isn't deserving of a negative rep.

Thanks shecolt,

I don't know what's up with him, because out of nowhere he took a shot at me. See I don't take this personally because it's probably from a teenager. Anyways, thanks again for moderating here, you're a great person!

i like hart, but come on...when has he ever been great? has ever played a game where he didn't limp off the field? it's time cut ties with hart, he's just a wasted roster spot.

Well, I wouldn't say he has been great, but he has run well in my opinion when given the chance. Problem is he is always injured. I don't want to let him go because he has so much potential, but yeah, he is very injury-prone.

So you want to re-sign both Addai and Hart. I am assuming Brown is still on the team and obviously Carter as well. My question is who returns kicks? If it is Devin Moore, the math of what you propose does not add up because there is no way they keep 5 RB's. Something has to give.

True, 5 RBs is way too much. I do want to keep both Hart and Addai, but that is a fantasy and things don't work out that way in real life.

I like you 21issuperman, so please don't take offense. But....any bring back Mike Hart talk is tiring and old. So, one more time here are his career stats: played 21 of possible 48 games over 3yrs.... 71 carries for 3.4 carry/game avg & 3.7 ypc w/2TDs. All of this for 1.799M. Good RBs can put up those numbers in two games fer cryin out loud. All of the front office offseason moves have been spot-on including the realease of Sanders and also cutting Mike Hart loose. They need to stick with this mindset. I want to see the Colts make a run at the title and we're gonna need all of the healthy bodies we can muster. No more of this keeping guys active using up roster spots when they seldom play/contribute. Enough of that mess is enough.

No offense taken :thmsup: I just think he has a lot of potential. I would hate to see him go to another team and stay healthy and run for 1100 yards. Bob was injured too often, so I wasn't too unhappy at him being released, but I think it's too early for Hart. Give him one more year. But as jskinnz said, the logistics don't work out well.

Not buying the running part at all. He's slow, hesitant and not a forceful runner. His handling is excellent though (was it 300 carries between fumbles?).

He gets by because of his other skills, but certainly not his running.

He showed signs of being great in the running game, you cannot deny that especially when he was younger. Even last year a couple games (when healthy, aka Redskins game) he was good before injury. With an improved line, if we can re-sign him I expect him to be 'good' again.

lol Andy and everybodysgotone....I could turn on an episode of mob wives or jersey shore and see less drama. Lets just be cool and talk about the team we love...the COLTS. Anyway, as far as hart is concerned I would agree that he got injured and was not able to show his potential. However, it should be acknowledged that he was injured, but lets look at his positions. The life span at the running back position is extremely short. He pretty much wasted his best years (as far as potential is concerned) on the sidelines with nagging injuries. I feel that he is getting older and it seems that after a RB's initial contract they will either get paid for one more big contract or fall by the way-side. I think that Addai is more proven than Hart, and I feel that the Colts will look to re-sign Addai before Hart any day. I really don't think the Colts will bring both of them back.

lol Andy and everybodysgotone....I could turn on an episode of mob wives or jersey shore and see less drama. Lets just be cool and talk about the team we love...the COLTS. Anyway, as far as hart is concerned I would agree that he got injured and was not able to show his potential. However, it should be acknowledged that he was injured, but lets look at his positions. The life span at the running back position is extremely short. He pretty much wasted his best years (as far as potential is concerned) on the sidelines with nagging injuries. I feel that he is getting older and it seems that after a RB's initial contract they will either get paid for one more big contract or fall by the way-side. I think that Addai is more proven than Hart, and I feel that the Colts will look to re-sign Addai before Hart any day. I really don't think the Colts will bring both of them back.

RBs have short careers because they take so much pounding that their bodies can`t handle it anymore. Hart hasn`t taken a lot of pounding, he has been on the sidelines for the most part. I wouldn`t say his best years are behind him

Out of respect for these ^ wishes, only, I'll not make any further direct reply in this thread beyond this post. My issues with Andy date back to the old board for reasons he is aware of. Conversation over.

As far as rep plus/minus is concerned....I honestly couldn't care less about the function as it relates to "defining" my presence here, unless it would hamper my access or the like. If that's not the case then anyone caring to minus me, even on a regular/daily basis for no particular reason - indulge yourself. If the rep plus/minus is meaningful beyond superficial appearance please direct me to the guidelines or provide me a detail here or behind the scenes so I'll be aware of the parameters - thanks in advance.

The Help Link (upper right) has info about the +/-

or click here: http://www.colts.com/forums/index.php?app=core&module=help

It is mostly a way to vote up posts that you like and has a score attached to it.

We are open to feed back on it and may make changes as the season progresses

Out of respect for these ^ wishes, only, I'll not make any further direct reply in this thread beyond this post. My issues with Andy date back to the old board for reasons he is aware of. Conversation over.

As far as rep plus/minus is concerned....I honestly couldn't care less about the function as it relates to "defining" my presence here, unless it would hamper my access or the like. If that's not the case then anyone caring to minus me, even on a regular/daily basis for no particular reason - indulge yourself. If the rep plus/minus is meaningful beyond superficial appearance please direct me to the guidelines or provide me a detail here or behind the scenes so I'll be aware of the parameters - thanks in advance.

Preach brother, preach.

I can't stand the CFL, makes me sick.

Yeah, I'm not a big fan of the CFL either. But right now, the CFL season is on and the NFL is still sorting itself out, so I might watch a little bit of the CFL to get my football fix. It just seems to me like the CFL wanted to be like the NFL, but also wanted to be different to appeal to fans so they use a bigger ball, larger field, 3 downs, etc. and I think those are bad changes. 3 downs isn't enough, a bigger ball seems pointless...

well said, and i believe with the proper blocking he could be a home run hitter, you put CJ, OR MJD behind our O-Line, they wouldnt be as good either, now with our improved line i have high hopes

Addai never had the break away speed to be a home run hitter, and all honesty i don't care, if just every now and then he can get a long td its good with a 4.5 YPR or higher with this new line, it'll be great hehehehe

He's better off here than somewhere else. I don't think we need to break the bank to keep him, though. With the incoming Manning deal going to turn our cap upside down we're going to have to be really careful with how we manage our money for the duration of Manning's tenure.

I can't see many teams paying him as much as the Colts would. The Colts appreciate him more than any other team would. All people hear is that MJD was from the same draft class, but was taken in the 2nd round and still leads that class in most RB stats. You rarely hear about Addai's pass blocking ability or his catching out of the backfield. His best choice would be to stay in Indy, I can't see much interest for him outside of it. I'm sure some team will want him, but I can't see a lot of teams going after him.

As much as I've liked Addai since his first days here and since he's been drafted, his skill set cannot command big bucks. My guess is that he'll test the free agent market. I'd also guess no one bites with a 4-5 million / year contract.

And personally, as far as RBs go, I just have a hard time seeing any of them being worth major cash other than MJD, Peterson, and Turner. Given the Hillis and Foster break outs last year, I'd rather see us invest more on defense and the offensive line. I'd be willing to bet we could find an upgrade at RT, DT, or S for the same cost. Then, let the backfield sort itself out.

While I realize that Hillis and Foster aren't every day occurrences, I'm also aware that there are a number of players who float around on practice squads that make better contributions than our backs when given the opportunity:

Forsett

Woodhead

Grant

Bradshaw (a 7th rounder)

Green-Ellis

Blount

Fred Jackson

Torain

The above group is a group of decent performers from this year. IMO, the Colts would be better off not re-signing Addai and letting the cream of the current roster rise to the top. Heck, bring in some UDFAs like Locke, Fannin, Clay, or Devine.

Granted, I wouldn't mind seeing Addai back, but I cannot see any of it being long term, high dollar.

Truthfully, I have very high hopes for Carter, as far as the RB situation is concerned. I think Joe has outlived his tenure in Indy, and should be shown the door simply for the fact that he does not seem to run hard.

Personally I do not agree with the whole "tap out" or not running hard sentiment. The real statement is that Addai is not an "every down" back, and very few RBs are. Make no mistake, when he is on the field, the guy is giving every bit of effort that others are. The only thing is, he hasn't been that durable as of late. If he feels the need to sub out, he calls for it... and in my opinion, that is a good thing for the team. It allows another hungry player to get out there, rather than someone who need a quick breather to be closer to 100%.

Is that not running hard? Not in my opinion. That's one man knowing his limits.

As for Carter, I don't know much of him. I do feel that if Polian selected the guy, he had a reason. To me, if he can prove to be something of a slower version of Frank Gore, I'd be all for it. Heck, if he can give us 4.0 yds per carry at about 100 touches or more a season, he'd be worth the draft selection. Hopefully when the line gels, we'll start seeing better production from all of our backs.

Let Marshall Faulk go for the Edge..

Let Edge go for Addai..

Then draft Donald Brown as the next possible guy in line to replace Addai.. (hasn't really happened)

Now draft Carter out of Syracuse..

Not saying that Addai is following in the footsteps of Edge and Faulk, but its a definite possibility and mold that the Colts FO has grown accustomed to. I think Carter will surprise a lot of people and be a very good back for the Colts this year. But I definitely dont mind the Colts signing Addai back for the right price. Otherwise I think the organization can benefit from free agents at different positions in comparison to the benefit of Addai with a greater contract. Also, Mike Hart is a fan favorite but the guy cannot stay healthy and I see him out. James will be gone. Question marks come down to Dom and Addai. Will both be gone/one in, one out/both stay. Depending on how it all pans out, they could sign undrafted rookies Locke or Devine which would also, hopefully, boost special teams returns.

Truthfully, I have very high hopes for Carter, as far as the RB situation is concerned. I think Joe has outlived his tenure in Indy, and should be shown the door simply for the fact that he does not seem to run hard.

Saying Addai does not run hard is a truly uninformed comment.

Addai is one of the most complete backs in the NFL and the best at pass protection.He has great understanding of the COLTS offense and what they are trying to do in this offense.Peyton has total trust in Addai and with improved o-line play and a healthy season he could be a top ten back. I think the COLTS front office know this and will make him a primary target to resign.

Addai is one of the most complete backs in the NFL and the best at pass protection.He has great understanding of the COLTS offense and what they are trying to do in this offense.Peyton has total trust in Addai and with improved o-line play and a healthy season he could be a top ten back. I think the COLTS front office know this and will make him a primary target to resign.

I agree with you, well said!

At what cost?

At what cost?

Agreed. His biggest asset in my opinion is his pass blocking, he is one of the best in the league at it. I've seen him take on LBs 40 pounds heavier than him running at full speed and Addai stops them like they ran into a wall. He is a very complete back, but if the cost is too high, let him go.

Very great point about Addai not being able to take advantage of defenses keying on Manning. In my mind, Manning is the best quarterback in the game, and for Addai to put up the pathetic yardage that he did is inexcusable.

Get Addai out of here. I'd rather take Donald Brown at this point - he will give you the same pathetic yardage at a much cheaper price! But in all seriousness, let's just find someone else. RB isn't a hard position to coach. We could even plug in a rookie. The rookie might be inexperienced, but at least he will have young, strong, tenacity. That's what we need on 3rd & 1's... we don't need finesse, we need someone with POOOOWWWWEEEER!

If they don't want to go cheap, go Ahmad Bradshaw. I'm licking my chops getting his meat in our backfield (that sounded wrong). He can't do worse than Addai, and he's built short, tough, and fast. You guys talk about needing a RB who can block - Bradshaw is so scary, he serves pancakes for lunch.

(Beast!)

Joe-merism at it's best. I don't want a complete back anyway. I want a back that can RUN. If Defenses know we had a threatening running game, Manning wouldn't such 'stud' blocking.

Our running game has been consistently pathetic for years and as Addai has been our No1 guy during this time, he cannot be rated any higher than poor, dodgy O-line or not.

Time to let him go and try something else.

Hidden

Joe-merism at it's best. I don't want a complete back anyway. I want a back that can RUN. If Defenses know we had a threatening running game, Manning wouldn't such 'stud' blocking.

Our running game has been consistently pathetic for years and as Addai has been our No1 guy during this time, he cannot be rated any higher than poor, dodgy O-line or not.

Hidden

Hidden

Hidden