Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Do we really want to resign Joseph Addai?

Superman

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/6782227/free-agents-meet-hell

Spending more than a million dollars or so on a running back in free agency, though, has mostly been a fool's errand.

This wasn't just a 2010 thing, either. Virtually every outlay given to a veteran back in free agency has failed.

That's two impact backs in the past seven free-agent classes. Running backs simply don't last long enough — running backs who put up a 1,000-yard season since 1983 have only been able to repeat that performance an average of 1.5 times over the remainder of their careers.

Obviously, if the money is right, I'd love to have Joe back. But we're talking about three years, $10 million. The projections I've seen that place him with a $6 million + cap hit in 2011 are way too high, and for that kind of money, I'd let him walk. I'd miss him, but I don't think you can/should give a veteran running back that kind of money, especially when he's not even elite.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's steep for a vet tail back. Problem is (when healthy*) he is the prototypical Colts back.

He runs tough, especially in the red zone, he catches well, and he blocks as well as they come. I don't know. Do you really think he would command that much?

If he goes, we have GD Donald, old guys, injured guys, or a rook pickin' up the blitz. It's more his overall skill set that I think we need rather than his running. Can Delone Carter do all that? Can Donald? Does Dom come back?

I would really like to see Joe run behind the revamped line.

Absolutely we need to re-sign him - he might not ever break a homerun but he doesn't need to, his value lays elsewhere in the passing game

With the influx of new talent and new O-line configurations, Addai is the best last line of defense and he does an exemplary job at that.

The Colts absolutely need a RB competent in the passing game - no one on the roster has a proven ability to do that other than maybe Rhodes (who I don't think will make the final roster)

As long as Hart is healthy there isno need. This will be a big year for Mike Hart

I love what Hart can do when he's healthy - but when has he ever been healthy?

He hasn't stayed healthy handling spot-duty and you're willing to switch him with Addai as the workhorse back?

That's steep for a vet tail back. Problem is (when healthy*) he is the prototypical Colts back.

He runs tough, especially in the red zone, he catches well, and he blocks as well as they come. I don't know. Do you really think he would command that much?

If he goes, we have GD Donald, old guys, injured guys, or a rook pickin' up the blitz. It's more his overall skill set that I think we need rather than his running. Can Delone Carter do all that? Can Donald? Does Dom come back?

I would really like to see Joe run behind the revamped line.

There's different ways to handle the blitz rather than relying on DB or another back. We could use Brody in shotgun sets. We could shift one way or the other. Ideally, it's great having Joe back there, but we can compensate for that. I wouldn't want to give him a big payday simply because we're worried about picking up the blitz, not when there's other answers to that question.

I'll also mention that Joe wasn't a great blocker in his first couple of seasons either. Backs usually acquire that skill as they get more reps. We like to dog DB out because of the Youtube clip, but I've seen him do a decent job in pass blocking on certain plays. It takes time.

None of the issues you mentioned, or that anyone has mentioned, is as weighty in my mind than the fact that veteran running backs break down and don't produce at a level worthy of a big payday. I'm not saying we should make him play for vet minimum; I think three years, $10 million is a considerable offer. But if his desire is to get a big payday while he's still relatively young, then we'll probably have to let him go. The Delone Carter pick, gives us that leverage, not to mention the countless other free agent backs available that will sign for one year, $500k, and platoon with our other guys.

Worst case scenario, we wind up with DB, Carter and Hart as our three backs, and they share the load. That's better than DB, Hart and James/Rhodes, which is what we had for a long stretch last year.

As long as Hart is healthy there isno need. This will be a big year for Mike Hart

Rayted is that you?

That is a deep price to pay for a beat up vet RB, but JA is perfect for this offense. He blocks as well as any running back in the league, is one of the better pass catching running backs, and runs tough especially in the redzone. It would be hard to let him walk with what we have behind him. Hart is injury prone, Donald is inconsistent especially at pass blocking, Rhodes is old, and we have a rookie. Nothing there gives me the feeling that we will be perfectly fine.

I would love to see what a healthy JA can do behind this revamped OL. I think he could easily return to his rookie year and first year performance.

let him walk if he costs too much. running backs are easily replaceable and picking up the blitz isn't brain surgery.....unless you're donald brown.

i think polian made mistakes in drafting rb in the first round three times...i would never waste a first round pick on a running back.

Most of the replies on this are laughable. If Addai is brought back anywhere near 6M per, the Colt front office is flippin nuts. Ain't happenin'. Get him back at a reasonable price & that'd be great. And the Mike Hart talk.....please. This guy & his lack of production got talked to death on the old forum. LET HIM WALK.....it's way past due. And.....the only difference between EJ and Addai is that EJ is one of the all-time best Colt RBs.

Can they afford to resign Addai? If Manning gets his wish and becomes a free agent, the Colts are gonna have to spend everything and the kitchen sink to keep him. hell, Manning might even own LOS or part of the team before it's all said and done.

This is the same conversation we had about Edgerrin James, by the way...

I don't think anyone is going to throw money at Joe like AZ did for James. Could be wrong, but I don't see it. I don't think we will have to break the bank for him as he is good, but our line has made him look mediocre.

BTW, the last time we had the conversation we then won the SB!!!

Hart may be a 3rd down back but, the Colts were using Javarris James for a lot of the 3rd down work last season. Also, Delone Carter was drafted to replace Hart IMO. He's more durable. We have to re-sign Addai because he's the prototypical back for the Colts' offense. Brown hasn't fully shown he can carry the load, leaving him un-proven. Sign Addai!!

I don't think anyone is going to throw money at Joe like AZ did for James. Could be wrong, but I don't see it. I don't think we will have to break the bank for him as he is good, but our line has made him look mediocre.

BTW, the last time we had the conversation we then won the SB!!!

... without the player in question.

When healthy, Hart is a great player. I want him to sign a 1 year deal and if he can't stay healthy this year, then let him go and don't re-sign him. As for Addai, I do think we should re-sign him, but only at the right price. I don't think he should be paid in the top 5 for Colts players.

Absolutely we need to re-sign him - he might not ever break a homerun but he doesn't need to, his value lays elsewhere in the passing game

With the influx of new talent and new O-line configurations, Addai is the best last line of defense and he does an exemplary job at that.

The Colts absolutely need a RB competent in the passing game - no one on the roster has a proven ability to do that other than maybe Rhodes (who I don't think will make the final roster)

well said, and i believe with the proper blocking he could be a home run hitter, you put CJ, OR MJD behind our O-Line, they wouldnt be as good either, now with our improved line i have high hopes

When healthy, Hart is a great player. I want him to sign a 1 year deal and if he can't stay healthy this year, then let him go and don't re-sign him. As for Addai, I do think we should re-sign him, but only at the right price. I don't think he should be paid in the top 5 for Colts players.

So you want to re-sign both Addai and Hart. I am assuming Brown is still on the team and obviously Carter as well. My question is who returns kicks? If it is Devin Moore, the math of what you propose does not add up because there is no way they keep 5 RB's. Something has to give.

If it is at a reasonable price Indy will re-sign him, they would be crazy not to. He is the back best suited for the offense right now. Plus, I don't believe he will draw that much interest on the open market meaning his price tag SHOULD be reasonable.

Please resign Addai. I doubt the Colts resign James after his possession charge. I think Brown can be a great RB under the new line and having Carter on 3rd down situations, but I think Addai is one of the most well rounded backs in the league. He's like the Swiss Army Knife of running backs. He can block, catch, and run (hopefully very well behind Costanzo). Please sign him and lets make a few more pushes at the SB!

i like hart, but come on...when has he ever been great? has ever played a game where he didn't limp off the field? it's time cut ties with hart, he's just a wasted roster spot.

Honestly, I don't think the Colts should resign Hart. He really doesn't serve a purpose on the team. He isn't big, and he isn't fast. I really do think Delone Carter is a poor man's Michael Turner. He should be the starter with Donald Brown as the backup, with Jarvis James as the #3. Addai is injury prone and so is Hart. If they have a # 4, it should be Devin Moore since he can return kicks. My preference though is for them to sign Ricardo Lockette or Derick Locke in free agency and let one of them return kicks.

I think we can resign Addai for a reasonable price. I don't think there will be a huge market for him.

I agree with that. It also helps out our chances of resigning addai because there are a lot of other RB free agents this year. Deangelo Williams, Cedric Benson, Jamaal Charles, Jerome Harrison, Darren Sproles, Ronnie Brown, and Rickie Williams will also bring some attention from other teams. Hopefully that means we can get Addai at a fair price.

So you want to re-sign both Addai and Hart. I am assuming Brown is still on the team and obviously Carter as well. My question is who returns kicks? If it is Devin Moore, the math of what you propose does not add up because there is no way they keep 5 RB's. Something has to give.

I, actually, liked the way Tryon returned kicks last year for the short period of time that was able to. I agree, 5 RB's on the roster is a bit much.

My question is, where did this "three years, $10 million" figure come from. I think that is high considering some of our other needs. However, I think we will be able to resign Joe for far less. He is quite valuable for the reasons everyone have mentioned. IF we don't sign him, I think we have to resign either Hart or Dom because they are the only guys left who have proven they can run, catch and block.

One thing I often see is that people are labeling Carter as a "short yardage" back. But I think the Colts have bigger plans for him than that. I think they see him as a guy that can be an every down back rotating with -I assume- Addai and Brown. To me, that is an interesting trio because their collective skills sets are so different. It will be interesting to see what happens once this lockout mess is resolved.

Hidden

double posted so will keep the one below here...

I like you 21issuperman, so please don't take offense. But....any bring back Mike Hart talk is tiring and old. So, one more time here are his career stats: played 21 of possible 48 games over 3yrs.... 71 carries for 3.4 carry/game avg & 3.7 ypc w/2TDs. All of this for 1.799M. Good RBs can put up those numbers in two games fer cryin out loud. All of the front office offseason moves have been spot-on including the realease of Sanders and also cutting Mike Hart loose. They need to stick with this mindset. I want to see the Colts make a run at the title and we're gonna need all of the healthy bodies we can muster. No more of this keeping guys active using up roster spots when they seldom play/contribute. Enough of that mess is enough.

Yes, I really want us to re-sign Addai. He's great in pass blocking and can catch out of the back field like anyone else in the NFL. He also has shown signs of greatness when it comes to the running game, especially if our OL is going to be improved this year.

Not buying the running part at all. He's slow, hesitant and not a forceful runner. His handling is excellent though (was it 300 carries between fumbles?).

He gets by because of his other skills, but certainly not his running.

Hidden

Yes, I really want us to re-sign Addai. He's great in pass blocking and can catch out of the back field like anyone else in the NFL. He also has shown signs of greatness when it comes to the running game, especially if our OL is going to be improved this year.

Not buying the running part at all. He's slow, hesitant and not a forceful runner. His handling is excellent though (was it 300 carries between fumbles?).

He gets by because of his other skills, but certainly not his running.

The guy loves Indy, he's been here his whole career. He's not going anywhere, he's gonna sign a 3 year deal, and then all this nonsense will be settled. The reason we drafted Delone Carter, is because he'll probably replace Dominic Rhodes, or Mike Hart. He's not in here to replace Addai. You saw the spark Addai brought when he came back in Week 16, he ignited our running game. He's here to stay whether you like it or not.

The guy loves Indy, he's been here his whole career. He's not going anywhere, he's gonna sign a 3 year deal, and then all this nonsense will be settled. The reason we drafted Delone Carter, is because he'll probably replace Dominic Rhodes, or Mike Hart. He's not in here to replace Addai. You saw the spark Addai brought when he came back in Week 16, he ignited our running game. He's here to stay whether you like it or not.

If his tag is 6M+ like I've seen suggested again & again he's not gonna be a Colt in 2011. And that would be a correct front office decision. He's not worth that much. If he comes in at a reasonable price I'm more than glad to have the guy back.

If his tag is 6M+ like I've seen suggested again & again he's not gonna be a Colt in 2011. And that would be a correct front office decision. He's not worth that much. If he comes in at a reasonable price I'm more than glad to have the guy back.

Aren't we giving the tag to Manning. Hey, Addai only made 1.3M this last year, but then again it was his rookie contract. Anyways, he'll probably sign something like 3 years / 11M. The Colts are not a big team in the free agency; they don't go after anybody. He knows our system, and unless his contract is extremely outrageous, then they have no other choice, but the man wants to stay here and that's the most important thing.

I'd be hesitant to give him even half of that, but that would be my cap. No way he should get $6 million a year.

He's a snippet of a quote posted by CBSSports.com several months ago, KEEP IN MIND that they're talking about the 09' season.

RB Joseph Addai, the Colts' top runner last season and QB Peyton Manning's best blitz blocker, also could become a free agent once there is a new CBA. 'Nothing yet, but he'd like to come back to Indy,' said Ben Dogra, who represents Addai. 'We'll explore everything, but this is all in limbo because of the lockout, so I don't know what's going to happen.