Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

After watching it again, the REDSKINS worry me

coltsfan_nyc

9/18 for 100 yards. I do not see where the hype comes from. 1 and done.

That was easily Griffin's worst game of the season.  Making a judgment based on that single performance would be like me guaranteeing that you guys would be one and done based on Luck's play in the Jets game.

Seattle will win.  The 'skins are good but the Seahawks will beat them like they did the Niners.

It's certainly a possibility.  I think the Seahawks scare us Skins fans more than any other NFC playoff team.  Fortunately, they're not as dangerous on the road so I'm hoping it'll be more like the first game the Seahawks played against the 9ers than the second one.

sorry but I don't see it.  When ur number 1 threat is Garcon, and you have seattles defensive backfield, they can stack 8 in the box and be just fine.  Seattle will win

Teams that stack the box against us and play the run tend to get burned pretty badly in the passing game.  Teams that worry about the pass get gashed on the ground like Dallas did (after burning them for big plays in the first game they played a deep Cover 2 shell almost all game this time around).  If we execute well we are virtually unstoppable on offense.

Garcon's our most dynamic receiver but he's not a guy we need to rely on in the passing game to be successful.  We do a good job of distributing the ball.

That was easily Griffin's worst game of the season.  Making a judgment based on that single performance would be like me guaranteeing that you guys would be one and done based on Luck's play in the Jets game.

It's certainly a possibility.  I think the Seahawks scare us Skins fans more than any other NFC playoff team.  Fortunately, they're not as dangerous on the road so I'm hoping it'll be more like the first game the Seahawks played against the 9ers than the second one.

Teams that stack the box against us and play the run tend to get burned pretty badly in the passing game.  Teams that worry about the pass get gashed on the ground like Dallas did (after burning them for big plays in the first game they played a deep Cover 2 shell almost all game this time around).  If we execute well we are virtually unstoppable on offense.

Garcon's our most dynamic receiver but he's not a guy we need to rely on in the passing game to be successful.  We do a good job of distributing the ball.

Due to the shear size and physicality of Seattles DB's I'm sure they can go 1 on 1 with your WR's leaving more D for the running game.  If any team executes well they are virtually unstoppable on offense.

Regardless of that I think due to Griffin not being 100% (which was completely evident on his run for a td) thats more of a workload on Morris, not saying he can't handle it, but when Griffin isn't 100% especially because of his running ability it hampers your offensive quite a bit.

I just call it how I saw it. As an "average fan tuning in" I saw an overrated performance.

sorry but I don't see it.  When ur number 1 threat is Garcon, and you have seattles defensive backfield, they can stack 8 in the box and be just fine.  Seattle will win
Seattle is gonna be tough but they are terrible on the road there record was 3-5 on the road this season. There defensive weakness which they dont have much of a weakness is down the middle of the field which is where the redskins love to attack and is there strong point on offense. Quick WR's like Garcon and Moss are what gives there big physical corners fits. I think Washington will upset them. Another stat I saw was posted on the seahawks message board and is a huge concern with there fanbase apparently they also play horrible not just on the road but on real grass fields they had the statistic on there board saying there offense scores 7 points less average on grass and there defense on average gives up 10 more points a game. They are also lifetime in the playoffs 1-11 on the road.

Due to the shear size and physicality of Seattles DB's I'm sure they can go 1 on 1 with your WR'

That's really a double-edged sword. Seattle's DBs are terrific against the bigger receives, such as Brandon Marshall (who still burned them), Calvin Johnson, Andre Johnson, etc., because those guys aren't as explosive off the line of scrimmage. The size of their DBs makes it tough to get an effective jam on a quick guy, like Santana Moss and Pierre Garçon. I've looked at Seattle's message boards and they're particularly worried about Santana Moss burning them because Browner will likely be relegated to slot duty.

It should be Morris and that offense, not RG3 and that offense. Morris is the key to that offense.

They're both products of the offense, though.

Seattle will rip them apart. They are my NFC Champ picks. Then they lose to Denver in the SB.

I guess people don't understand symbiotic relationships. They both benefit from each other but I believe most people discredit because of hate, ignoring the fact that he torched the Cowboys passing the first game.

We are making assumptions that the Seahawks will tear them apart because they did to the 49ers. Well truth is, 49ers have nowhere near the offensive power that the Redskins have. I'm a Seahawks fan but I know nothing is guaranteed.

I'm interested to hear your opinion on Morris.  Is his success due to Shanahan's system (let's not forget Shanahan turned Terrell Davis from an unknown 6th round pick to a 2000 yard rusher) or is it because he is that good of a player?  When Roy Helu comes back, what happens?

The Redskins have a very potent offense and their defense can make some plays (though I can't stand DeAngelo Hall).  I could see the Seahawks and Redskins game going either way

Hey man, I'm calling it right now! The Redskins and specifically RG3 are going to walk out of that stadium with a W. I don't think there are too many teams in the NFC that want to see the Skins. I'm telling you straight up, the Redskins are going to beat the Seahawks. I don't think this is a good matchup for the Seahawks at all. That is not an offense they are used to seeing and RG3 makes magic out of that thing. I like the Skins defense, and I don't know why people keep calling the offense a gimmick. It's not a gimmick at all, it's nothing more than good ole fashion play action passing mixed with running. Since when have either of the two become extinct in the NFL? It's a unique approach, but it's based on stuff that has been beating NFL defenses forever.

Faking the run, and hitting the pass. Passing and then going back to the run. It's not rocket science! People are making much ado about nothing. I think they will continue to be able to do that. If RG3 is getting hit too much, they can just scale things back and run less of the option plays. Shanahan has said this, and I have said this, RG3 can easily run the conventional style if they totally wanted to go away from the pistol altogether in a game. I totally think the Seahawks got the bad end of the deal in this one. Anyone else can say what they want, but I am an RG3 believer. Some of these other people I don't know what they are tripping off of other than jealousy. That's my two cents!

Except that Luck's game against the Jets wasn't his most important game of his season.

I am not worried about them...

If they find a way to stop Tom Brady (aka Broncos, Giants) every year in the playoffs, they will find it with RG3, he never really had a competitive division like everyone claims. Tony Romo is a flop, Eagles are a joke, and Eli Manning only shows up when he makes the playoffs.

This same Redskins team beat the Giants twice in a row last year...with Rex Grossman!

They are one and done with the Seahawks, they have a way better defense. RG3 struggled a bit this past week against the Cowboys.

He has a great future ahead of him though.

I guess people don't understand symbiotic relationships. They both benefit from each other but I believe most people discredit because of hate, ignoring the fact that he torched the Cowboys passing the first game.

We are making assumptions that the Seahawks will tear them apart because they did to the 49ers. Well truth is, 49ers have nowhere near the offensive power that the Redskins have. I'm a Seahawks fan but I know nothing is guaranteed.

People thought I was crazy when I predicted the Redskins to win the NFC East. I'm taking them over the Seahawks too.

I'm interested to hear your opinion on Morris.  Is his success due to Shanahan's system (let's not forget Shanahan turned Terrell Davis from an unknown 6th round pick to a 2000 yard rusher) or is it because he is that good of a player?  When Roy Helu comes back, what happens?

The Redskins have a very potent offense and their defense can make some plays (though I can't stand DeAngelo Hall).  I could see the Seahawks and Redskins game going either way

Morris' success is partly a result of the fact that he's a perfect scheme fit for Shanahan (downhill, one-cut runner with excellent vision) and partly a result of the fact that he's actually quite the physical specimen (not the fastest guy around but his lower body strength is unreal and his agility is impressive for a man his size).  Shanahan has a good eye for finding guys who can succeed in the system but only Terrell Davis and Clinton Portis were particularly special talents who consistently produced at a level above your typical 1000 yard no-name rusher in Denver.  I think Morris is easily on their level as a runner.

When Helu comes back he'll fill the role Evan Royster currently occupies in occasionally spelling Morris and acting as a 3rd down back.  Helu is quite the athlete and is a hell of a receiver out of the backfield but he's not quite as consistent or as tough as Morris.

Except that Luck's game against the Jets wasn't his most important game of his season.

We needed to win 7 in a row to make the playoffs, every one of those games were equally important and Griffin responded by putting up about 1500 yards of offense with 13 TDs to only 2 turnovers in 6 of those 7 games.  I guess you could say that I'm pretty okay with how he's played when it's mattered most ;)

Besides, I don't recall Luck looking overly impressive against the Chiefs.  The important thing is that both guys made plays when it mattered to pick up the W and get in to the postseason.

Seattle has the defense to contain the RG3 and the passing game.  It's gonna come down to whether the Seattle D can stop Morris and can Wilson move the ball against the Redskins D.

Look for this game to become a battle for field position with Lynch/Wilson and Morris being the focus of each team.

Seattle has the defense to contain the RG3 and the passing game.  It's gonna come down to whether the Seattle D can stop Morris and can Wilson move the ball against the Redskins D.

Look for this game to become a battle for field position with Lynch/Wilson and Morris being the focus of each team.

Not as true as you would think. While, yes, Seattle does have a very physical and talented defense, they spend a lot of time playing Cover-1 and single high safety, often with Kam Chancellor 25 yards off the line of scrimmage. Griffin has one of the highest QB ratings in the NFL against single high safety, so Seattle will definitely have to play outside its cover zone if it wants to defend the pass well enough to win.

The Skins are looking good. However, that offense only works for 1 year in my opinion. Teams will know how to defend it next year. They are going to have to evolve.

I have yet to see someone explain how teams will be able to flip the script and nullify it.  Usually the people who proclaim this are just making an argument from ignorance.

redskins need a deep threat, otherwise i put them behind the 9ers and hawks.

The Redskins have 3 or 4 deep threats.

I have yet to see someone explain how teams will be able to flip the script and nullify it.  Usually the people who proclaim this are just making an argument from ignorance.

The Redskins have 3 or 4 deep threats.

i would do what brian billick said. every time they go to the read option i would punish the qb even if you have to give up a big play to the rb. not that it would stop their entire offense....

i would do what brian billick said. every time they go to the read option i would punish the qb even if you have to give up a big play to the rb. not that it would stop their entire offense....

At best that's a disincentive for running a very small part of our playbook.  At worst it's a recipe for handing Morris a free 200 yard rushing game and perhaps even accruing a few penalties for hits on the QB if Griffin decides not to sell the fake.

At best that's a disincentive for running a very small part of our playbook.  At worst it's a recipe for handing Morris a free 200 yard rushing game and perhaps even accruing a few penalties for hits on the QB if Griffin decides not to sell the fake.

i clearly stated it stated it wouldn't stop the skins offense. and morris had a 200 yard game with demarcus ware looking like a an undecided buffoon. the odds of ware crashing inside and making the play on morris wasnt high to begin with...hence just go straight for the qb and make him pay. players would not get penalized for hitting a qb who is selling himself as a runner that close to the line of scrimmage.

The Seahawks actually have a defense, not only will they shut down their wide receivers, but I'm also certain that their front 7 will shut down that option O. 

KJ Wright and that D-line will easily beat their interior O, even though the Skins are good there. 

The Skins need their running game and the Seahawks almost always take away their opponent's running game. They won their last 2 on the road, both in different time zones for them.

I see it as a close game, btu Seattle should take it.

Can't believe i'm defending Griffin but he isn't at 100%.  He wasn't the reason the skins won.  They rode the back of Alfred Morris and the threat of Griffin running.  Ware was like a deer in the headlights the whole game lol.

With Griffin not being 100% i can't take the skins.  Seahawks are gonna force Griffin to throw to win. 

BTW can we not give Seattle O some props?  Marshawn Lynch isn't a slouch himself.  Can Skins contain him?  How well are the skins gonna do against a mobile QB as well?

i clearly stated it stated it wouldn't stop the skins offense. and morris had a 200 yard game with demarcus ware looking like a an undecided buffoon. the odds of ware crashing inside and making the play on morris wasnt high to begin with...hence just go straight for the qb and make him pay. players would not get penalized for hitting a qb who is selling himself as a runner that close to the line of scrimmage.

Griffin doesn't have to sell himself as a runner, though, and he won't if that is the strategy teams use against him.  If he makes it clear that he doesn't have the ball and he gets nailed anyway there's going to be a flag.

In fact, we've actually already seen teams try this on us before (the Rams).  As a result, it's not that unusual to see Griffin hand off and put his arms up in the air to show the defender and, more importantly, the refs that he is not the ballcarrier which affords him the normal QB protections.  Inevitably the playside DE is going to have to start trying to defend the run when that happens instead of going for Griffin and that's when Griffin can begin to take off with it or we can run the play action pass.

Griffin doesn't have to sell himself as a runner, though, and he won't if that is the strategy teams use against him.  If he makes it clear that he doesn't have the ball and he gets nailed anyway there's going to be a flag.

In fact, we've actually already seen teams try this on us before (the Rams).  As a result, it's not that unusual to see Griffin hand off and put his arms up in the air to show the defender and, more importantly, the refs that he is not the ballcarrier which affords him the normal QB protections.  Inevitably the playside DE is going to have to start trying to defend the run when that happens instead of going for Griffin and that's when Griffin can begin to take off with it or we can run the play action pass.

Even further, usually you see Griffin flow away from the play after he hands the ball off.

If RG3 has to throw 40 times in order to come from behind, you have reduced Alfred Morris' role in the game.

The game is mainly going to be decided by what the Seahawks offense can do vs the Redskins defense as opposed to the other talked about aspect of Redskins O vs Seattle D.

That can change the whole complexion of the game, if the Seahawks can get a 2 possession lead and work with it consistently, IMO. While the Redskins' D is playing better, I would not be shocked if the Seahawks come out aggressive on offense throwing to get ahead in the game. It takes the crowd out, and can force Shanahan to change his playcalling, IMO.

Garcon is also your most dynamic dropper. Trust us we know. lol

Not as true as you would think. While, yes, Seattle does have a very physical and talented defense, they spend a lot of time playing Cover-1 and single high safety, often with Kam Chancellor 25 yards off the line of scrimmage. Griffin has one of the highest QB ratings in the NFL against single high safety, so Seattle will definitely have to play outside its cover zone if it wants to defend the pass well enough to win.

We're did you get this "QBR" from ? I would just like to know

Garcon is also your most dynamic dropper. Trust us we know. lol

I think we all Colts fans, and pretty soon Redskins fans know that if you give anything waist high to Garcon, he will drop it more often. If you give him something around his shoulder or higher, he will catch it at a high rate. It has been the theme of his WR life. :)