Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts' Reggie Wayne, Antoine Bethea To Wear Red, White And Blue Gloves, Shoes On Sunday

ColtsPacersfan

I hope, I am reading this wrong or I hope the NFL changed its tune, on Sunday which is the 10 year anniversary. Why should not the players honor the 10 anniversary of 9/11? We should never forget what happened that day. Good for Reggie and Antoine.

http://www.indystar.com/article/20110909/SPORTS03/110909013/

I would certainly hope the NFL doesn't fine the players for showing some respect for the family's that lost loved ones. If they do can you imagine what a raft they would get and it would be deserved.

I hope, I am reading this wrong or I hope the NFL changed its tune, on Sunday which is the 10 year anniversary. Why should not the players honor the 10 anniversary of 9/11? We should never forget what happened that day. Good for Reggie and Antoine.

http://www.indystar.com/article/20110909/SPORTS03/110909013/

You think the NFL wants that crappy PR?

No way. It may be a slap on the hand.

If anything gets said to players at all about the uniform policy.

You think the NFL wants that crappy PR?

No way. It may be a slap on the hand.

If anything gets said to players at all about the uniform policy.

Total respect from London.

On a lighter note, instead of nice patriotic gloves, what about our WR's wearing nice big foam fingers with heavy duty velcro? May help those wild rushed Kerry throws?

Back to serious, thoughts are with you guys on a tough weekend.

I don't think Goodell will fine anyone for this. There's alot of players who are going to do similar things.

They have to fine them because they have set that precedent a long time ago. I fully expect Wayne and Bethea to get a fine for this.

This is the same NFL that denied Peyton's attempt to honor Unitas after he passed away. The NFL will just say they are honoring the tragedy of 9/11 at each of their stadiums and nobody will worry about players getting fined.

Thats fine, hate all you want. BUt the players still shouldnt be allowed to do it. Simply cant open these flood gates. Yea it was a tragedy. What about Joe Scmo kicker who's hometown gets hit by a tornado in week 7. He get to wear special pair of anything? What about Tommy WR who loses his buddy in gang related activity. He allowed to write "Piece out G love" on his arm? As was mentioned earier, Peyton was fined for his Johnny U. tribute. This recent one is under the disguise of 'Freedom' and 'America', so therefore its ok.

League says that as long as it's by an approved apparel manufacturer (Reebok), it will be ok.

Link

http://espn.go.com/c...te-approved-nfl

yeah, they can't go messing around with the money from exclusive contract deals :)

in any case, wise move by the nfl to make it official. they don't want sunday morning pregame shows full of big bad nfl talk on a day like that

Thats fine, hate all you want. BUt the players still shouldnt be allowed to do it. Simply cant open these flood gates. Yea it was a tragedy. What about Joe Scmo kicker who's hometown gets hit by a tornado in week 7. He get to wear special pair of anything? What about Tommy WR who loses his buddy in gang related activity. He allowed to write "Piece out G love" on his arm? As was mentioned earier, Peyton was fined for his Johnny U. tribute. This recent one is under the disguise of 'Freedom' and 'America', so therefore its ok.

Because its a significant event in American history that affected masses and masses of people throughout not only the league, but the world. America has been forever changed because of the events that occurred that day. Get off the high horse please, its 9/11.

First off Peyton wasnt fined because he didnt wear them.

Second trying to compare 9/11 to an isolated insolated incident is absurd.

Second trying to compare 9/11 to an isolated insolated incident is absurd.

I'm not trying to compare tragedies here. I want them to go out there and rep those gloves and shoes all they want. They just need to pay the fine afterwards. Just like everyone else has to...

Because its a significant event in American history that affected masses and masses of people throughout not only the league, but the world. America has been forever changed because of the events that occurred that day. Get off the high horse please, its 9/11.

Well said! I am glad that the NFL and reebok is letting the players wear the red white and blue. I know I was affected by it like the whole country was. I still remember that day like it was yesterday I can't believe it will be 10 years this Sunday!!!! I like what Reggie said he is so right. It is part of our history and will it ever be in our history.

Here is his quote Think about it, man,’’ Wayne said. “That was an important time in our life. A lot of people lost plenty of loved ones. That’s history. From our grandchildren and children after that, they’re going to be hearing about that

Meh, I guess it's not a bad idea. I just never understood commemorating a tragic event like this. For good things we celebrate milestone anniversaries like weddings and birthdays where a 25th anniversary is important as is a 21st(or 40th, 50th, etc)birthday. But is the 10th anniversary of 9/11 really different from the 9th or 11th?

I'm glad people show their patriotism but we should have been patriotic before 9/11. However I can see this as showing respect for those that innocently lost their lives and for those that gave their lives.

At least the NFL was smart enough to jump on board before the bad press got out of hand.

When are we going to do the right thing and make 9/11 a national holiday? With ridiculous holidays like presidents day and religious observations being recognized as such, here we have an event seared into all of our psyche, something that directly affects us all and yet my 12 year old daughter has yet to have her school so much as even mention 9/11.

I'm not trying to compare tragedies here. I want them to go out there and rep those gloves and shoes all they want. They just need to pay the fine afterwards. Just like everyone else has to...

It is not a comparable tragedy to the Huricane Katrina issue, the tornado in Alabama issue, the earthquake in California issue, the buddy lost in a gang related issue. This was an attack on the US on our home soil and the killed over 3000 people out of pure hatred. This was not an act of god nor was it a stupid gang related mentality act on an individual. I would guess you have some other agenda if you continue to believe that players shuld be fined for this issue. I also believe you would feel very different if your mother or father was in that building at the time they came down.

So this is a country united issue that players are representing not just a buddy or at the request of a fan for a specific cause, that is what they do not want the players doing. BTW, Manning was fined for honoring Unitas, I believe he had some sort of patch on his helmet or something like that.

Good for them! I think it's a great tribute. I'm worried about security personally on game day for all the football stadiums on 9/11. Esp with the latest threat that came out on Thursday.God Bless America!

I agree, I would be very very uncomfortable at a game this weekend just because it's 9/11 and all the attention around the 10 year. It is the world we live in though and you can't police everywhere at all times. Sometimes you will have to accept fate for what it is and there will allways be bad people doing bad things.

The reason it wasn't allowed for the other events you mentioned was because they were isolated in the fact that they only affected a single player or single team. 9/11 affected not only every player, but every person, the USA as a whole, and the world as it has created jihad on the enemy's soil. This should and rightfully will be allowed since it affects EVERY player, regardless of team or nationality.

It is not a comparable tragedy to the Huricane Katrina issue, the tornado in Alabama issue, the earthquake in California issue, the buddy lost in a gang related issue. This was an attack on the US on our home soil and the killed over 3000 people out of pure hatred. This was not an act of god nor was it a stupid gang related mentality act on an individual. I would guess you have some other agenda if you continue to believe that players shuld be fined for this issue. I also believe you would feel very different if your mother or father was in that building at the time they came down.

So this is a country united issue that players are representing not just a buddy or at the request of a fan for a specific cause, that is what they do not want the players doing. BTW, Manning was fined for honoring Unitas, I believe he had some sort of patch on his helmet or something like that.

I do have an agenda. It's called fairness. The reason "it's for 9/11" shouldn't have anymore weight to it than "it's for Katrina" "it's for my hometown", "it's for my brother"....while I can understand my opinion may not be a popular one, it is fair. There are different levels of tragedy, but they are still tragedies none the less. I weep as hard for 1 as I do for 100. Just how I work. And labeling some event more impactful than others for each individual person is a very dangerous thing. The biggest tragedy in my life had nothing to do with 9/11 yet shook me to my core. Would I be allowed to express my feeling thru a jersey alteration if I played? The answer would be yes, but I'd have to pay the fine. Just like everyone else.

I do have an agenda. It's called fairness. The reason "it's for 9/11" shouldn't have anymore weight to it than "it's for Katrina" "it's for my hometown", "it's for my brother"....while I can understand my opinion may not be a popular one, it is fair. There are different levels of tragedy, but they are still tragedies none the less. I weep as hard for 1 as I do for 100. Just how I work. And labeling some event more impactful than others for each individual person is a very dangerous thing. The biggest tragedy in my life had nothing to do with 9/11 yet shook me to my core. Would I be allowed to express my feeling thru a jersey alteration if I played? The answer would be yes, but I'd have to pay the fine. Just like everyone else.

I somewhat agree. The biggest tragedy in my life was losing my father. The next game I played I had words written on my undershirt saying "dad, this ones for you" for after I scored a goal. I took off my jersey and was yellow carded, rightfully. Now, here is where we disagree. There were so many players, fans and others backlashing at the NFL, so Goodell made the right choice, for whatever reason (pr, or otherwise) so the players won't be fined. I think it is ok. IMO.

Edit: it is comparable to Andres Iniesta in the World Cup. A member of Spain's national team passed away before the tourney. So, in the final, when Iniesta scored the goal that won the tourney for Spain, he took of his jersey, to reveal a message, "Dani Jarque siempre con nosotros [Dani Jarque is always with us]" and was yellow carded. This just proves that if there is enough support for a cause, it can win regardless of opposition, fair or not, which is obviously in the eye of the beholder.

I somewhat agree. The biggest tragedy in my life was losing my father. The next game I played I had words written on my undershirt saying "dad, this ones for you" for after I scored a goal. I took off my jersey and was yellow carded, rightfully. Now, here is where we disagree. There were so many players, fans and others backlashing at the NFL, so Goodell made the right choice, for whatever reason (pr, or otherwise) so the players won't be fined. I think it is ok. IMO.

Edit: it is comparable to Andres Iniesta in the World Cup. A member of Spain's national team passed away before the tourney. So, in the final, when Iniesta scored the goal that won the tourney for Spain, he took of his jersey, to reveal a message, "Dani Jarque siempre con nosotros [Dani Jarque is always with us]" and was yellow carded. This just proves that if there is enough support for a cause, it can win regardless of opposition, fair or not, which is obviously in the eye of the beholder.

And to continue the end of your post.. the 9/11 cause has A LOT of support so let em do it. Have some patriotism.

See, we are on the same page to an extent. My problem coincided with the bowing of the NFL to public pressure. IMO the should have kept the fines, and every single player that wore them, there fine would go directly to a 9/11 foundation. That way the NFL didn't give into pressure, AND are contributing significant amounts to victims and there families. But now, they are just going to go out there, looking good making catches, and that'll be the end of it with the only significance being the NFL will have shown it will easily cave to public pressure under the guise of freedom.

I retired from the Military 20yrs. What better way for the players to Honor the men and Women that lost there lives at the World Trade Center and the Military personnel fighting the war on terror and all of the first responders. If the NFL Fines these guys they are crazy, The players are showing there support the NFL needs to do the same thing. It should be MANDATORY for all players to wear the Stars and Stripes in some form tommorow. Goodell Mod Edit must have forgotten that the people that the players are honoring are the people that make it easy for him to sleep. GO USA, GO COLTS

NFL players and personnel. Insulting "nicknames" are not respectful and not appropriate to use in the forum

See, we are on the same page to an extent. My problem coincided with the bowing of the NFL to public pressure. IMO the should have kept the fines, and every single player that wore them, there fine would go directly to a 9/11 foundation. That way the NFL didn't give into pressure, AND are contributing significant amounts to victims and there families. But now, they are just going to go out there, looking good making catches, and that'll be the end of it with the only significance being the NFL will have shown it will easily cave to public pressure under the guise of freedom.

They won't fined them now. The NFL just said late yesterday afternoon. 9 11 has touched so many lives. Then Katrina, Katrina was just a NO tragedy. 9/11 was a National one. I can't remember where I was when I heard about Katrina I know it was in late August. Not that I care because I care. I did watch for days and weeks and gave to the victims of Katrina. Katrina was indeed a tragedy, but its not the level as 9 11 is.

9/11 has affected me and the nation as whole. Like Reggie Wayne said 9/11 will be talked about to years to come, as your kids, your grand children, and their children and so on, it will be forever lived in this nation history. We are not celebrating 9/11 we are remembering the lives lost the hero's that lost their lives on that day. What Reggie and other players wants to do tomorrow to remember. Remember the victims, and to the hero's. Like everyone else is going to do tomorrow and to years to come.

Do you not see any negative vibe from fining a player for supporting the hero's and victims of this horrific tragedy that happened on our soil? I don't care if the NFL donated the money to a fund or not. The NFL and Reebok should of had shirts and hats made up to sell at the games and online with a healthy portion of that going to the 9/11 memorial. You state that personal tragedy's are the same as a national one. Really?? Is that personal tragedy going to be in the history books? I think not. Why it may be personal to you there is absolutely no reason to compare that to an attack on our country that took many lives from us. I've read some poor posts on here but you sir win the TROPHY hands down for this. I can't think of anything less patriotic than what you've showed. God Bless America!!!

IMO the should have kept the fines, and every single player that wore them, there fine would go directly to a 9/11 foundation. That way the NFL didn't give into pressure, AND are contributing significant amounts to victims and there families.

That's what I was thinking too. Fine them per the rules and then donate all fines collected to the medical fund for firefighters and other emergency response personnel that responded to the twin towers. It might not be as popular as caving to the pressure, but it would do a lot more good for the cause then just wearing star-spangled attire.

For crying out loud, the Mets have repeatedly worn caps representing police/fire/emt/etc to commemorate 9/11. MLB sanctioned that, and the NFL is in essence sanctioning this - just as they sanction arm bands/patches when a team loses someone, or pink for breast cancer awareness. The Saints could wear Katrina patches all day every day and it wouldn't make me bat an eye. The only difference in this case is that the NFL didn't think to initiate a special program ahead of time, so they are quietly supporting it after the fact instead. Why would any of you take a stand on this being "wrong"? What possible negative consequences do you think there will be?

There is considerable difference between a natural disaster, and the first attack on our soil by foreign nationals since Pearl Harbor (and that arguably doesn't even count because it wasn't a state at the time). It lead directly to two wars which have cost thousands of lives and adversely affected hundreds of thousands more, contributed to our current economic problems, fundamentally changed the outlook of every American regarding how safe we are in our own beds, fundamentally altered our ability to travel both nationally and internationally, fundamentally altered our relationship with a significant % of the worlds countries, indirectly contributed to our continued back-slide in international reputation, fundamentally altered the way we look at anyone who looks a little different or practices a different religion.

It was a REALLY bad day. Using it's 10th anniversary to collectively remind ourselves - whether through large gestures or small - that we are still here, united as a country, and ready to take on any challenges that come our way - is not only appropriate, it is healthy and welcome. Whats the alternative? Pretending it never happened, and that everything is just fine? Wear the dang gloves Reggie. I appreciate your spirit.

Didn't the MLB do something to commemorate Jackie Robinson's incorporation into baseball breaking the color barrier? Each one of these leagues probably has an anti-trust exemption from Congress. Let them do what they want, and the ones that want to stop it can stop it if they wanted to and let it be if they wanted to.

For the record, way to go, Reggie and the others who want to display their respect and remembrance!!!