Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

One could only pray for this type of Offseason

Inital Cap room ( approximately)= 40 million

Resigning (length of contract offer- amount of money over contract left):  Avery (sign and trade) (1 year 750k)

Butler (CB) (4 year 1.8 million) ( depth or maybe play Nickel)

Fokou (LB) (3 years 2.5 million) (depth) 

Justice (OT) (3 years 3 million) ( backup)

Freeney (LB) (4 year- 36 million) ( If he really wants to stay in Indy like he says, he could very well sign a contract very similar to Wayne or Mathis, More likely to be closer to Mathis's numbers)

Shipley © (5 year 2 million) ( Back up/ potential starter)

McAfee (P) (6 year 2.5 million) ( definitely)

Overton (LS) (5 year 2 million) 

Powers (CB) (5 year 12 million) ( can play nickel and will be handy if we ever choose to have some zone plays on defense)

40- 15.38 million spent= 25.12

Sign: Wallace (WR) (5 year 25 million) ( Need #1 receiver urgently and would rather go through FA)

Levitre( 5 year 7 million)( would like but likely to be tagged)  or Britton ( OG) ( 3 year 6 million)

Jones (DE) (4 year 1.625 million) ( start opposite Redding)

Goldson (4 year 8 million) or Byrd (SS) (5 year 7 million) (if Levitre is tagged)

Asomugha (5 year 30 million) ( if cut and we would sign him to a considerably lot smaller contract than Philly)

24.62-16.8= 8.82 ( Figure assuming highlighted players are signed)

Draft:

With 24th pick, we trade down with Cincy for 2 2nd rounders 

2nd Chance Warmack(or Jonathan Cooper if either available if neither Larry Warford)( according to Drafttek's mock we are suppose to take Warmack and the only other lineman taken between our's and Cincy's 1st 2nd rounder is Barrett Jones) + Sylvester Williams ( both picks 4 year 4 million)

3rd Chase Thomas or Sean Porter ( 4 year 2.5 million)

4th Kyle Long (4 year 2 million)

8.82- 2.1= 6.76 million for rounds 5 -7 and rest of offseason

Depth Chart: projected starters

Luck

Brown

Wayne, Wallace and Avery

Fleener/Allen

Castanzo

Levitre/Britton

Satele/Shipley

Warmack/ Cooper

Long

Redding

Williams

Jones

Freeney

Angerer

Freeman

Mathis

Asomugha

Davis

Bethea

Goldson/Byrd

Resigning (length of contract offer- amount of money over contract left):  Avery (sign and trade) (1 year 750k)

Freeney (LB) (4 year- 36 million) ( If he really wants to stay in Indy like he says, he could very well sign a contract very similar to Wayne or Mathis, More likely to be closer to Mathis's numbers)

Powers (CB) (5 year 12 million) ( can play nickel and will be handy if we ever choose to have some zone plays on defense)

Sign: Wallace (WR) (5 year 25 million) ( Need #1 receiver urgently and would rather go through FA)

Levitre( 5 year 7 million)( would like but likely to be tagged)  or Britton ( OG) ( 3 year 6 million)

Goldson (4 year 8 million) or Byrd (SS) (5 year 7 million) (if Levitre is tagged)

Asomugha (5 year 30 million) ( if cut and we would sign him to a considerably lot smaller contract than Philly)

Draft:

With 24th pick, we trade down with Cincy for 2 2nd rounders 

2nd Chance Warmack(or Jonathan Cooper if either available if neither Larry Warford)( according to Drafttek's mock we are suppose to take Warmack and the only other lineman taken between our's and Cincy's 1st 2nd rounder is Barrett Jones) + Sylvester Williams ( both picks 4 year 4 million)

3rd Chase Thomas or Sean Porter ( 4 year 2.5 million)

4th Kyle Long (4 year 2 million)

8.82- 2.1= 6.76 million for rounds 5 -7 and rest of offseason

Depth Chart: projected starters

Luck

Brown

Wayne, Wallace and Avery

Fleener/Allen

Castanzo

Levitre/Britton

Satele/Shipley

Warmack/ Cooper

Long

Redding

Williams

Jones

Freeney

Angerer

Freeman

Mathis

Asomugha

Davis

Bethea

Goldson/Byrd

No way we resign powers and freeney to that much money!!! No way those stars take that little money.

I might be reading your post incorrectly, but it looks as though you have us taking Warmack in the 2nd round.  I don't think that will happen because Warmack is going to be gone by the end of the first round.  I'm also not a fan of signing Mike Wallace.  I think he is just a good deep threat and I would prefer if we kept Avery or used Hilton in that role.  They would be much cheaper

I might be reading your post incorrectly, but it looks as though you have us taking Warmack in the 2nd round.  I don't think that will happen because Warmack is going to be gone by the end of the first round.  I'm also not a fan of signing Mike Wallace.  I think he is just a good deep threat and I would prefer if we kept Avery or used Hilton in that role.  They would be much cheaper

agree with both of your points

No you've read it right, I do have us getting Warmack in the 2nd and I'll explain why. (I don't know the reliability of this site) but according to drafttek they have us taking him with the 24th pick. if we trade with Cincy ( who have 2 2nd round picks, 1 of which is at the 37th spot), within those 14 picks, only 1 interior lineman is taken(that being Barrett Jones to the ravens), so I like our chances there. Also by going in the 2nd round, we won't have to pay him as much as if we took him in the 1st. And with Wallace, don't get me wrong, I like Avery and Hilton, but we could actually trade avery away for a some depth at positions or for more draft picks. 

No you've read it right, I do have us getting Warmack in the 2nd and I'll explain why. (I don't know the reliability of this site) but according to drafttek they have us taking him with the 24th pick. if we trade with Cincy ( who have 2 2nd round picks, 1 of which is at the 37th spot), within those 14 picks, only 1 interior lineman is taken(that being Barrett Jones to the ravens), so I like our chances there. Also by going in the 2nd round, we won't have to pay him as much as if we took him in the 1st. And with Wallace, don't get me wrong, I like Avery and Hilton, but we could actually trade avery away for a some depth at positions or for more draft picks. 

I don't see Warmack getting very far pass us if we pass on him in round 1

I don't follow college ball that closely, so you probably know about this better than I do.  But all the mock drafts I've seen have Warmack going pretty early in the first.  I think I saw him go in the top 10 in one draft as one analyst called him the best offensive lineman of the draft.

As for Wallace, does he deserve the money he wants?  He wants Fitz type money (8 years, $120 mil, $50 mil guaranteed was the contract Fitz signed in 2011).  I personally see Wallace as just a deep threat and good for things like screens and slants.  I would prefer to have a guy like Reggie Wayne as my number 1 receiver; a guy who can run all the routes, is a good leader, and has reliable hands.  Plus, with Avery, Brazill, and Hilton, we have lots of deep threats.  I'd like to see us add another guy who runs all the routes.  But I do understand why people want Wallace.  He has insane speed, is a good deep threat, and has familiarity with Arians' offense.

I don't follow college ball that closely, so you probably know about this better than I do.  But all the mock drafts I've seen have Warmack going pretty early in the first.  I think I saw him go in the top 10 in one draft as one analyst called him the best offensive lineman of the draft.

As for Wallace, does he deserve the money he wants?  He wants Fitz type money (8 years, $120 mil, $50 mil guaranteed was the contract Fitz signed in 2011).  I personally see Wallace as just a deep threat and good for things like screens and slants.  I would prefer to have a guy like Reggie Wayne as my number 1 receiver; a guy who can run all the routes, is a good leader, and has reliable hands.  Plus, with Avery, Brazill, and Hilton, we have lots of deep threats.  I'd like to see us add another guy who runs all the routes.  But I do understand why people want Wallace.  He has insane speed, is a good deep threat, and has familiarity with Arians' offense.

I see your point about Wallace and I understand and the only reason I really want him is because he knows BA's system and he's a big name so if they have everyone back for him, it could mean some short passing opportunities can open up.

But in terms of Warmack, like I've said to PT, you never know what will happen in drafts. Also just out of curiosity, what mock drafts do you look at ( just because I only know Walterfootball and Drafttek). Also I don't really watch too much college football( with me in the UK and time zones and all that) but if I hear about someone, I try to go online and watch highlights of them in matches.

I don't see Warmack getting very far pass us if we pass on him in round 1

To be fair, if if that is the case ( we can never truly know when it comes to drafts) but if that happens, maybe we could get Sylvester Williams from UNC or any other best player available or if we want to go with O-line maybe Larry Warford from Kentucky. 

Also just out of curiosity, what mock drafts do you look at ( just because I only know Walterfootball and Drafttek).

I'll jump in here... with a couple of sites that have links to mock drafts around the web as they get updated...

http://walterfootball.com/draftdata.php

http://eatdrinkandsleepfootball.com/draft/mock-draft-database/nfl.html

http://www.hailredskins.com/MockDraft.htm

I also like DraftCountdown.com for interviews & info on which underclassmen have declared etc.

http://www.draftcountdown.com/index.html

I see your point about Wallace and I understand and the only reason I really want him is because he knows BA's system and he's a big name so if they have everyone back for him, it could mean some short passing opportunities can open up.

But in terms of Warmack, like I've said to PT, you never know what will happen in drafts. Also just out of curiosity, what mock drafts do you look at ( just because I only know Walterfootball and Drafttek). Also I don't really watch too much college football( with me in the UK and time zones and all that) but if I hear about someone, I try to go online and watch highlights of them in matches.

To be fair, if if that is the case ( we can never truly know when it comes to drafts) but if that happens, maybe we could get Sylvester Williams from UNC or any other best player available or if we want to go with O-line maybe Larry Warford from Kentucky. 

I just Google it and see what comes up.  I like WalterFootball.  I read some of the ones on Bleacher Report, but those are just bloggers like you and me.  The more in-depth ones done by analysts done by guys like McShay, Kiper, Mayock, Charles Davis, etc. usually come around after the Super Bowl.

I'll jump in here... with a couple of sites that have links to mock drafts around the web as they get updated...

I also like DraftCountdown.com for interviews & info on which underclassmen have declared etc.

Much appreciated :)

I haven't looked at any yet

Your intentions are good....

BUT....

You're either paying players way, WAY too much....   or way, WAY too little. 

Almost all of them.  

And the draft picks are completely unrealistic.    Not even remotely close.    Not your fault on that,  you just went with the wrong draft site.   And that's the problem with so many of them out there.   The vast majority of them have no idea what they're doing.    Almost none.

This GM business is much harder than it looks.

Levitre is in a Zone Blocking scheme in Buffalo and just based on the size of many of our O Linemen he wont be what Grigson is looking for, I like him but I like him more in a zone scheme

Powers is a waste of money, he likely could not beat out Butler for the Nickel job

Rather have Brandon Jenkins in round three, bigger and more explosive , can play standing up and with hand in the dirt, put up big numbers pre injury (injury is why I wait till the 3rd to get him)

Sylvester I bet gets drafted as a 4-3 DT

thanks

Your intentions are good....

BUT....

You're either paying players way, WAY too much....   or way, WAY too little. 

Almost all of them.  

And the draft picks are completely unrealistic.    Not even remotely close.    Not your fault on that,  you just went with the wrong draft site.   And that's the problem with so many of them out there.   The vast majority of them have no idea what they're doing.    Almost none.

This GM business is much harder than it looks.

When it comes to salaries, yeah I know, I'm useless, bit hard to decided on a certain figure though cos each player is different and they could want anything. As for the draft though, it could be a situation we can resort to if need be. And to be honest about the GM business, blame madden for that ( it lured me into a false sense of security by allowing me to pick up players like Suh, Wallace and for me to have the ability to trade for Asomugha without really losing anything)

Levitre is in a Zone Blocking scheme in Buffalo and just based on the size of many of our O Linemen he wont be what Grigson is looking for, I like him but I like him more in a zone scheme

Powers is a waste of money, he likely could not beat out Butler for the Nickel job

Rather have Brandon Jenkins in round three, bigger and more explosive , can play standing up and with hand in the dirt, put up big numbers pre injury (injury is why I wait till the 3rd to get him)

Sylvester I bet gets drafted as a 4-3 DT

You're right about Levitre but that is why I put in the option of getting someone like Eben Britton as well.

Butler to me seems most inconsistent than Powers and really powers can be useful on zone plays.

I've seen a couple of videos of Jenkins and from them he hasn't been bad. I know for a fact you watch hell of a lot more college football than I do, But I just don't want to use a pick on him because sometimes I felt he couldn't  break of some blocks whereas with Chase Thomas, he was able to do so and get to the QB quite a few times. 

Sylvester looks like he could be an either or DT but in a couple of mocks, teams with 3-4 defenses seem to take him.  

No way Wallace signs for that amount. He turned down down 5 years 50 million per year. He wants 11-12 million per year in a deal.

Lets be fair, the fact we're in the playoffs and pittburgh arent,he will be dying to play for a winning team ( not saying the steelers aren't but we have won more with a lot less)and be reunited with BA again.also if he wants to have a big contract, he better change his mind because i have a feeling the steelers will choose to go with sanders and brown, so in some respects he'll be lucky if there is a team anywhere willing to pay that sort of salary and lets face it, we are the only team with enough cap space and a good enough record who seem to need a future #1 receiver so his options will be limited and he can't afford to be picky

Lets be fair, the fact we're in the playoffs and pittburgh arent,he will be dying to play for a winning team ( not saying the steelers aren't but we have won more with a lot less)and be reunited with BA again.also if he wants to have a big contract, he better change his mind because i have a feeling the steelers will choose to go with sanders and brown, so in some respects he'll be lucky if there is a team anywhere willing to pay that sort of salary and lets face it, we are the only team with enough cap space and a good enough record who seem to need a future #1 receiver so his options will be limited and he can't afford to be picky

I think he'll have to come down a LOT in his asking price and I don't know that he's willing to do that.

We'll see.

I think he'll have to come down a LOT in his asking price and I don't know that he's willing to do that.

We'll see.

Its actually simple economics ( hope we have economists in the forum)based on consumer and producer surplus concepts, both wallace and the colts will have a limit to which they will accept. If demand for wallace goes down ( either due to asking price or his general performance)then the difference between he will actually get paid and the amount he wants will decrease,so with limited cap room from other teams could force wallace to change his mind.

Here's why I'm not very high on Wallace.

Because Pittsburgh doesn't appear to be very high on him.     If they're not -- and they know him better than anyone -- then why should Indy be?

If Pittsburgh is not working hard to retain him,  then why should we spend a fortune to get him?

Spending big bucks on a WR in this coming year doesn't strike me as a good spending of our money.     OL, DL,  pass rush,  big safety, another corner,  maybe even another RB.

But I don't think we need a big ticket WR this coming year. 

Maybe in 2014.    But i don't see the need for 2013.

Just my personal opinion....

There is no way they would give Freeney a 4 yr. contract, and they shouldn't. The guy has done virtually nothing this season and is a gigantic, ridiculous liability against the run. I don't think they have any intention at all to bring him back.

I don't think Powers will be back and don't think they want him back.

Wallace would never sign for that little of money and I have no idea how we "urgently" need a #1 reciever. We have good young recievers and there is absolutely no sense in spending a huge amount of money on another one. Makes no sense.

Asomugha has been terrible for 2 yrs. now, I know some say it's because of the scheme and maybe it is, but I wouldn't want to take the risk on an aging CB. Better and cheaper options.

Here's why I'm not very high on Wallace.

Because Pittsburgh doesn't appear to be very high on him.     If they're not -- and they know him better than anyone -- then why should Indy be?

If Pittsburgh is not working hard to retain him,  then why should we spend a fortune to get him?

Spending big bucks on a WR in this coming year doesn't strike me as a good spending of our money.     OL, DL,  pass rush,  big safety, another corner,  maybe even another RB.

But I don't think we need a big ticket WR this coming year. 

Maybe in 2014.    But i don't see the need for 2013.

Just my personal opinion....

I agree whole heartedly. I do not understand where people are getting we need another WR.......period, let alone a high priced FA WR.

Watching Porter tells me he could definitly fit in our system but not in the Dwight Freeney pass rush role, he seems to be better dropping back into short zones and chasing down in pursuit. He also seems to have a difficult time shedding blocks consistently. I think he fits the Robert Mathis/Jerry Hughes role

Have to LAUGH about Pittsburg NOT TRYING HARD to sign Wallace. Ya, that Wimpy 5yr $50M deal. hehe

I think we will be looking for a Bigger Receiver who can help block, compared to our smurfs, but probably not this year.

Andrew NEEDS a Very Good Running game VERY Badly for Play Action and better pass protection is a Desperate need.

Fixing the O-Line & Running game NOW has to be the #1 Priority.

Replacing Freeney with someone Solid, and adding another physical CB is the most important year two thing for the D.

Next IMO is finding a good Safety.

Coach P will get the secondary playing well, they just need experience together(TRUST) and SOME pass Rush.

Have to LAUGH about Pittsburg NOT TRYING HARD to sign Wallace. Ya, that Wimpy 5yr $50M deal. hehe

I think we will be looking for a Bigger Receiver who can help block, compared to our smurfs, but probably not this year.

Andrew NEEDS a Very Good Running game VERY Badly for Play Action and better pass protection is a Desperate need.

Fixing the O-Line & Running game NOW has to be the #1 Priority.

Replacing Freeney with someone Solid, and adding another physical CB is the most important year two thing for the D.

Next IMO is finding a good Safety.

Coach P will get the secondary playing well, they just need experience together(TRUST) and SOME pass Rush.

All very good points...especially this one. Give Andrew Luck those tools with our existing WRs and he will torment defenses.

Grooming a replacement for Reggie can wait. And Mike Wallace....at his "Megatron" asking price....is out of the question. The Steelers offer to him was absolutely fair.

Anyway...I FAR prefer a precision passing game balanced with the solid rushing attack that we've been missing for years over the "fire drill" on every passing down that Wallace and his 4.3 speed flourished in....sort of....with Big Ben, whose absorbed his fair share of injuries behind that crappy Steelers O-line by the way.

I'd like to see something like this...

Resign: Avery, Justice, Fokou, Butler, Shipley, McAfee

FA:

Paul Kruger OLB, Ravens,6'4''/270 26yrs

Jermon Bushrod, OT, Saints, 6’5’’/315 28yrs

Dashon Goldson, S, 49ers, 6’2’’/200 28yrs

Keenan Lewis, CB, Steelers, 6’0’’/210 26yrs

Draft:

Trade with Eagles so they can grab a QB before Baltimore picks (assuming we pick before them)

we trade our 1st round (#24) for their 2nd (#35) and we switch 3rd rounders (our #86 for their #66)

2nd rnd (#35) Ezekiel Ansah, DE, BYU, 6’6’’/270

3rd rnd (#66) Larry Warford, OG, Kentucky, 6'3''/335

4th rnd Kyle Van Noy, OLB, BYU, 6’3’’/235

6th rnd Caleb Sturgis, K, Florida, 5'11''/184

This free agency and draft should fill a lot of our needs and bring us in under the cap... I don't know if Warford will be there at the beginning of the 3rd, or Van Noy in the 4th, but this is all hypothetical anyway....