Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Underdogs Again

ruksak

In a masochistic way, I enjoy rooting for teams that have been counted out. My favorite teams as a child (early 1980's) were the Buccs, Colts, Lions.....heck any team that everyone wrote off. What fun is it to root for a dynastic powerhouse team anyway? Gets kinda old always being the best.

So here we are, the underdogs that everyone has written off before game one. Been awhile, huh? I'm asking my fellow fans to embrace this new role we have had forced upon us. Enjoy the struggle. Prepare yourself for a rocky start, however. Temper you enthusiasm and your emotions.

I have been kicked around quite a bit for posting my opinion that the 2011 Colts are aren't a good team on paper. I had no intention of joining the chicken little crowd. My intention was to get people to be real about it, we are underdogs that aren't supposed to win. And we likely will not at first, but I see a hot streak pouring off the hand of Collins after a few weeks of assimilation to the Colts way.

My question is this; Do you feel we are truly underdogs in 2011?

Or do you feel this is a manifestation of overblown media hyperbole that has placed Manning on too high a pedestal. Now that he's gone, is it a false perception that the Colts begin and end with Manning?

As well, my intention is to set right the mentality of upset Colts fans. If you do not prepare yourself for failure, it is going to surprise you when we lose. Which will, in turn, stress you out and drive you away from your comfy seat on Sunday's. Perhaps you'll go do something else because...."bahhh the Colts suck this year".

Don't do that. Getcha snacks, intoxicants, sodas and rowdy friends together on Sunday and try to enjoy our role as underdogs. Get your minds right people, and this might just be an enjoyable 2011 year. Bear in mind that with this new role comes some ugliness. Underdogs play scrappy and rough. As Harbuagh termed it in 1996, "we're just a buncha ragamuffins".

Yep, there's going to be some games where we look uglier than a can of smashed buttholes. But with that less than flattering sheen we will gleam some wins, and when an underdog team wins, it is always twice as enjoyable.

I'm not sure about underdogs, but we certainly aren't the threat we were with Peyton. With Peyton, we were/are an annual contender for the Super Bowl. Without Peyton, we aren't sure. We don't know how the team will do with Collins at QB. Before we label the team as underdogs or overachievers or anything, I think we should wait and see how the first 3 games go. If we go 0-3, then yeah, we can be considered underdogs. If we go 3-0, I wouldn't consider us underdogs and would say we are a very real threat to win the Super Bowl. It depends on how the team does; it is too early to label the Colts as anything since we haven't even had a regular season game yet

The Colts have been the underdogs to the Texans for like 3 years now. We just continue to prove the media wrong.

What channel you been watchin?

To paraphrase every analysts remarks toward the Colts when they were facing a tough game over the last 9-10 years "They have Manning". Well....now we don't.

shakedownstreet Wrote:

i am excited in a perverted sort of way

Exactly. I want folks to embrace the fear as a thrill. We don't get on roller coasters because they sooth us. They can be quite frightening. But then we run around to get back in line.

Like I said in another thread - shaky offensive line, shaky secondary and shaky running game. If we address the shaky offensive line part and take pressure off secondary with timely blitzing and D-line pass rush, we should be able to stay competitive.

We might be able to play game 1 and 2 with an everyone-counts-us-out-chip-on-the-shoulder but the Steelers game might give us a reality check and let us see how we keep up the intensity as the games go on. There will be growing pains like the Pats had with Cassel in 2008 but we need to figure our team out quickly, whichever gives us the best possibility to win, on O, D, and ST as well.

Winning and losing are both contagious. The quicker we learn to win, the better off we will be if we have to endure the entire season without Peyton. No style points in the NFL, no almost wins in losses, no almost losses in wins.

Right now, the Colts are underdogs. However, I believe this only because no one knows who they are now.

With Peyton, games were very predictable, in that, I had no worries if they were down 17 points in the first quarter. I knew it wasn't enough, and it often wasn't. Now, we don't know what to expect.

Being competitive in this first game may be important for future success.

I'm very excited, curious, and hopeful to see who this new team is.

I still say our success(or lack there of) will depend entirely on the defense. It won't have nearly as much to do with Collins as everybody is saying. If they change up their defensive philosophy and play more aggressive this season then I say we have a chance of still being a good team. They will not have the luxury of having Manning to bail them out.

I still say our success(or lack there of) will depend entirely on the defense. It won't have nearly as much to do with Collins as everybody is saying. If they change up their defensive philosophy and play more aggressive this season then I say we have a chance of still being a good team. They will not have the luxury of having Manning to bail them out.

An insightful post.

Yep, the defense is key. Built to play with the lead, it will be interesting to see if they implemented any key changes due to the situation at hand.

I feel Dallas Clark is key to our success offensively. Look for Collins to playaction to Dallas Clark often. Which leaves one big huge monumental question mark. The running game. If we can't run effectively, our offense is in serious trouble. Thus placing too much lean on our defense.

I really don't know what will happen,this is unchartered waters.Peyton has always been there.I know this if we fail and play poorly ...so what?I have enjoyed this run,and next year we will be a force.I guess what i am saying is we fail,i give this team a pass.No one is to blame and it doesn't change anything.

Sounds like a prefabricated excuse. I don't like excuses. I certainly hope this Colts unit doesn't like excuses either.

In a masochistic way, I enjoy rooting for teams that have been counted out. My favorite teams as a child (early 1980's) were the Buccs, Colts, Lions.....heck any team that everyone wrote off. What fun is it to root for a dynastic powerhouse team anyway? Gets kinda old always being the best.

So here we are, the underdogs that everyone has written off before game one. Been awhile, huh? I'm asking my fellow fans to embrace this new role we have had forced upon us. Enjoy the struggle. Prepare yourself for a rocky start, however. Temper you enthusiasm and your emotions.

I have been kicked around quite a bit for posting my opinion that the 2011 Colts are aren't a good team on paper. I had no intention of joining the chicken little crowd. My intention was to get people to be real about it, we are underdogs that aren't supposed to win. And we likely will not at first, but I see a hot streak pouring off the hand of Collins after a few weeks of assimilation to the Colts way.

Or do you feel this is a manifestation of overblown media hyperbole that has placed Manning on too high a pedestal. Now that he's gone, is it a false perception that the Colts begin and end with Manning?

As well, my intention is to set right the mentality of upset Colts fans. If you do not prepare yourself for failure, it is going to surprise you when we lose. Which will, in turn, stress you out and drive you away from your comfy seat on Sunday's. Perhaps you'll go do something else because...."bahhh the Colts suck this year".

Don't do that. Getcha snacks, intoxicants, sodas and rowdy friends together on Sunday and try to enjoy our role as underdogs. Get your minds right people, and this might just be an enjoyable 2011 year. Bear in mind that with this new role comes some ugliness. Underdogs play scrappy and rough. As Harbuagh termed it in 1996, "we're just a buncha ragamuffins".

Yep, there's going to be some games where we look uglier than a can of smashed buttholes. But with that less than flattering sheen we will gleam some wins, and when an underdog team wins, it is always twice as enjoyable.

Good post Ruksak....indeed, it would be a blast on December 5th to light up the Forum up with a "Collins is better than Brady" thread. lol

Are we underdogs? Sure.

Do I believe we can win every game? Absolutely.

Will we? Who knows.

We can predict all we want until Sunday. Game 1 will dictate the season and the tone. I have all the faith in the world we will pull ATLEAST a playoff berth together. I'm excited for a challenge. We all know our players are, Mathis is already p'd off about, "The Colts will be horrible", talk.

Are we underdogs? Sure.

Will we? Who knows.

We can predict all we want until Sunday. Game 1 will dictate the season and the tone. I have all the faith in the world we will pull ATLEAST a playoff berth together. I'm excited for a challenge. We all know our players are, Mathis is already p'd off about, "The Colts will be horrible", talk.

You really think they can go 16-0? I think thats a bit ambitious....I'm thinking 8-8 will be tough.

Are we underdogs? Sure.

Will we? Who knows.

Well....I hope you're right about us winning a playoff berth.

At the very least....it will be interesting to see which Colts players among the other 52 step up and shine.

The Colts are better this year all around than they were last year, not including the injuries. A lot does hinge on our oline and dline. I have a gut feeling the lines will pull it togethe. And the more the media says the Colts are done without manning the more they are going to get ticked off... If it was me, being the texans, looking at history, and if they watched the pre-season game against GB. Yes. I would absolutely be scared. The texans are more chokers than we are. We have their number. They most likely wont have Arian Foster. And that is a huge loss. To be totally honest, I do have fear we will have a failing season. But I believe this offense is better than last year and we will have a better running game which will only prove to get better as the season roles on, and if Peyton does play this year, our running game will give him some time to shake the rust off.... But... I don't try and look at the season. I try to look at it as one game at a time. Because that is what the Colts are looking at. that is what the colts are game planning for. And that is the game that is coming up, in the next few days. What comes after that doesn't matter. Every game, will be a mini season without Peyton. I embrace this up coming game without Peyton. Because I want to see how good this team really is. Are we under dogs? no. We are par with the texans now. Its going to take a fight to beat them possibly. But thats what football is all about. I'm Just glad the Colts came to Indy so I can watch my team every Sunday. Who cares who's the under dog? Colts all the way. Bleed blue.

Sounds like a prefabricated excuse. I don't like excuses. I certainly hope this Colts unit doesn't like excuses either.

There are prefabricated excuses and rose colored glasses...

The good news: Colts play in weak division so they have a reasonable chance to get into the playoffs. The bad news: The level of competition in playoffs is extreme...IF this is a season ending injury, without Peyton there running the offense and making the plays, it will take a miracle for the Colts to have success in the postseason.

Good post, I love rooting for the underdogs and this is what the Colts are this season. I agree with the mentality going into the season. I think alot of people here aren't used to being fans of a losing team. I can certainly say that for myself with the Colts for the last 5-6 years, it has been Superbowl or bust, anything else was a disapointment. This year I will bring my Cubs mentality with me into football season. I am excited that football season is here, it would be great to see the Colts make the playoffs, but not expected. Hopefully this year will help us truely appreciate how good this team has been for the last ten years. Alot of fans don't get the luxury of seeing their team make the playoffs every year, some fans haven't seen their team in the playoffs this decade. We have to admit we have been spoiled for a while and has given our fans a bad reputation. Booing our own team last year certainly didn't win us over any friends.

I'd say that this is the biggest test the Colts have had in the past decade. It will definately be interesting. I'm still going to wear my traditional Peyton Manning jersey on Sunday. I'm still going to watch the game (sitting at the edge of my seat). I'm still going to swear and cuss at the bad plays and calls. I'm still going to cheer at the great plays (and there will me some good plays). Overall, I'll be watching MY TEAM!! MT COLTS!! Love 'em or leave 'em! They belong to me in my living room on Sunday and I can't wait to see them again! Heal yourself good Peyton! I'll see you when you get better. Go Colts!!

With Peyton behind center, I, we, them media EXPECTED the Colts to make it to the playoffs.

I certainly wished I would have taken in the season last year and appreciated Peyton more.

This year, I think the wins are gonna feel different, without the expectations. I am looking forward to see how this team responses with out Peyton.

...How crazy would that be if we say Collins catch the defense, while they sub, or start calling out those long audibles.......

There are prefabricated excuses and rose colored glasses...

The good news: Colts play in weak division so they have a reasonable chance to get into the playoffs. The bad news: The level of competition in playoffs is extreme...IF this is a season ending injury, without Peyton there running the offense and making the plays, it will take a miracle for the Colts to have success in the postseason.

If we make the playoffs,all the media says Peyton can't win in the postseason, so maybe we would be better off(according to the pundits) with Collins. :sarcasm: