Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Does WR Terrell Owens Deserve another NFL Opportunity?

southwest1

Everyone is very familiar with his illustrious career with the 49ers, the Eagles, Dallas, the Bills, the Bengals, & a brief stop with Pete Carroll's Seattle Seahawks...

Everyone is well aware of his financial problems and his failure to meet his child support obligations...

Everyone has heard how T.O. has earned the nickname "Team Obliterator" due to his tendency to fracture NFL locker rooms...

I have to admit that T.O. handled his ESPN "First Take" interview with much more maturity than Chad Johnson did & he comes across as a "sympathetic figure" who has learned from his mistakes as an athlete and as a man...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Cq3ugZMpCY&feature=share&list=FLIIKPy27YWW5yhc0qvr4KnA

I just wanted to be clear. T.O. must fulfill his obligations as a father & that certainly includes child support payment requirements, but if I were a GM, I would bring him into an NFL training camp just to see his commitment  level & how much is still left in the tank. Again, America is the land of second chances right? 

Is there a "dark side" to T.O.? Every NFL athlete must be wary of the trappings of fame, fortune, women, fast cars, & global recognition...It won't last forever... [A few curse words here, but the point is made very well.]

http://youtu.be/xWF3psNMZqo

http://youtu.be/44syOEAE0sA

When the NFL lights get flipped off permanently, what is left T.O.? Do you have a rock solid emotional support system who care about you as a person vs. the size of your bank account? That's the real question...

I often wonder how do superstar athletes handle it when NFL GM's no longer return your call? How do athletes who have playing football for the past 20 years face reality when no one what your services on a field anymore? What do they do when their phone doesn't ring? 

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=espn:8769608

Discussing stats & personal reflection stories means T.O. is done. Sigh...

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=espn:8770675

I'd want to know why the Seahawks cut him first, The previous season in 11 games played he almost had 1000 yards and 9 touchdowns, I think he could still produce at that level but he'd have to realize its not about him. I dont know who would want him though this late in the game, maybe the Bears(But most receivers not named Brandon Marshall go to die there) or Redskins whoever gets into the playoffs just a couple ideas. Dont know if either team has the locker room though even with guys like Brian Urlacher and London Fletcher respectively for both teams but he could potentially be a big addition for who made it into the playoffs and in the Bears case to be just what they need to push them over the edge to a SuperBowl favorite on the NFC side (That would give them two dangerous receivers and I bet since Marshall has been carrying the WR for most of the year he would welcome him)

What does the American public consider more unforgivable the domestic violence altercation with Chad Johnson's wife or Terrell Owens inability to pay child support or are both mistakes/shortcomings equally as devastating? I'm just curious... Are both men capable of redemption or not? Is 1 issue more hard to overcome vs. another? 

I think the Seahawks cut him because he was dropping passes. In the preseason against the Broncos he dropped an easy 46 yard TD pass from Flynn. Also after his season with the Bengals he had knee surgery so teams might have saw that as a negative. What I thought was odd, the seahawks were raving about how good he looked and apparently he couldn't beat out Braylon Edwards either (along with his drops) who they just cut.

I tend to get into debates on this topic, so I will choose brevity this time. (Thank me now or later  :funny: )

TO is a 39 yr-old mere image of his former self......Seattle was not overwhelmed with WR talent and cut him.  As said above "No real reason was given."  

I am not against another chance for TO, but are there any takers?  

I tend to get into debates on this topic, so I will choose brevity this time. (Thank me now or later  :funny: )

TO is a 39 yr-old mere image of his former self......Seattle was not overwhelmed with WR talent and cut him.  As said above "No real reason was given."  

It's weird though with Chad Johnson his WR skill set is sloppy or gone vs TO who is a workout warrior with a fit body, but mental hangups etc. keep NFL scouts & GM's away IMO. At some point, can't GMs bury the hatchet against TO & hit the reset button though? 

It's weird though with Chad Johnson his WR skill set is sloppy or gone vs TO who is a workout warrior with a fit body, but mental hangups etc. keep NFL scouts & GM's away IMO. At some point, can't GMs bury the hatchet against TO & hit the reset button though? 

I think it is harder to re-set 39-40 yrs old...........TO is an amazing workout freak....looks great....!!!

Yep....if a team wants to give him another shot, that's cool....just let it be somewhere else.

Talent was never the problem with T.O., who may still be better than 50% of NFL WRs even at 39 years old when his head is screwed on straight.

But unfortunately, he is selfish

Edited by 21isSuperman