Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jackson, Mankins push for compensation supposedly holding up end of lockout

bayone

LONG ARTICLE

Yahoo! Sports has learned through multiple sources that the agents for wide receiver Vincent Jackson(notes) and guard Logan Mankins(notes) have requested that their players either become unrestricted free agents when the lockout is over or that they receive $10 million each as part of the settlement. Both Jackson and Mankins chose to sit out much of the 2010 season when they failed to reach long-term deals with the San Diego Chargers and New England Patriots, respectively

Likewise, quarterbacks Peyton Manning(notes) and Drew Brees(notes) could push for compensation, although another source said each is far less likely to create problems, particularly after their joint statement with Tom Brady last week in which they pushed for a settlement.

“[Manning and Brees] don’t really have that much to gain because they’re both quarterbacks,” a source said. “They pretty much have all the leverage they could want. But I think some other guys are going to expect to be compensated.”

Jackson, Mankins and Manning were designated “franchise” players in February, and Brees could be hit with the tag after this season, the final year of his current contract.

My link

I understand Jackson's beef. The Vikings were willing to give him a long term deal last season, and the Chargers refused to move him for a reasonable price. But Mankins I don't have a lot of sympathy for. The Pats offered him a significant long term deal (five years, $35 million, reportedly), and he turned it down and played on the tender.