Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

It Is Official - Peyton Had 2nd Neck Surgery. A 1 Level "Neck Fusion"

chrisfarley

Who's calling who debbie downer now.. you know who you are. I said it last week. When it comes to nerve damage in the neck, it not only limits your range of arm movement, but neck and back as well.

He will not play this year. I want him to get ready for next year like most of you.

This may be career ending as well. Im with you all, I hope we haven't seen the last of the greatest QB ever. Colts fans are sad and upset, imagine how Manning feels right about now. Let's keep supporting the Colts and Manning positively. If I think I know Manning, it's eating him up inside. No more doom and gloom. We get to read enough of that on NFL.com and ESPN.

Hope this crew can give us all some good football this year. I LOVE THE COLTS AND MANNING! LET'S GO PLAY SOME FOOTBALL! Get well Peyton.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Odds are it will be 6-8 for full recovery if ALL goes right + Rehab is perfect. I think 12 would be doomsday scenario. Whatev, Collins and the team can do this. Did anyone not catch Robert Mathis's tweets last night? The defense is absolutely P'd OFF that all people can do is talk about how terrible the Colts will be. He blew up last night, I'm prediciting the defense of Week 2 VS NYG to show up this weekend. Those are some angry, angry men.

Glad you posted this and the team should be P'd because everyone in the media is calling them scum I hope they keep a big chip on their shoulder the whole season and Collins has a Great season for as long as we need him. I for one am glad that we have him.

Funny enough the first game of December is against the Patriots I would love to see Manning come back for that game. But then again NFLN reported at the last so more realistically maybe week 14-16 or at the worst he goes to IR.

I hope he does not! They play at New England in the harsh cold, late in the season. Peyton could potentially get injured again. Furthermore, NE fans would want nothing more than to knock Manning out and serve us a 40-0 whooping. I'd rather we save ourselves that embarrassment and just lose without him. Manning will be so out-of-sync, the game wont even be fun to watch.

They're not getting luck unless they have the 1st pick and they are not gonna be that bad. People hoping for Luck may as well stop dreaming.

Actually, it is very possible. The top pick in the draft may not need a quarterback, since so many teams picked a QB 1st overall in last year's draft. This includes the Bengals, Panthers, Titans, and Jaguars - all four potentially awful enough to pick in the 1st round. The smartest thing for such a non-QB needy team to do is trade the top pick to the highest bidder AND save money. Indy has a chance to get the 1st overall. Even a team who needs a QB would be silly not to keep all their trading options on the table. Do not discount the possibility.

Now if you have a team who NEEDS a QB picking in the 1st round, then yes, I agree. It's a no-brainer. Andrew Luck is gone.

this sucks. I hope he gets better. And anyway if he doesn't and we end up with a top 5 pick in the draft we can get Andrew Luck and then Peyton can start grooming his replacement next season

Normally I'd say no to drafting Luck because under normal circumstances he'd be sitting on the bench for 5 years. After hearing this though, Manning might have to retire much sooner.

However I don't want to tank.

Falcons fan checking in here... I hope Peyton has a full and speedy recovery. I certainly hope this is not the end.

There is no way to look at it but that it is bad news but I wouldn't write-off your season before it has even started. Despite the way the media portrays it you still have a talented team and you have a team that is accustomed to winning. They may use this as inspiration to win games for their fallen leader.

Anyway, good luck except for when you face us.

WOW... as a fan of the NFL, the game is diminished without Peyton in it. I hope he can come back this year and that the Colts can keep themselves in it until he does.

As a Charger fan, if we face you in the playoffs we really want it to be with PM at the helm so it means more.

As a Colt's fan I'm very saddened for Peyton, the team and the fans. It's so hard to lose a Hall of Fame caliber player who is so crucial to the entire team's makeup.

Actually, it is very possible. The top pick in the draft may not need a quarterback, since so many teams picked a QB 1st overall in last year's draft. This includes the Bengals, Panthers, Titans, and Jaguars - all four potentially awful enough to pick in the 1st round. The smartest thing for such a non-QB needy team to do is trade the top pick to the highest bidder AND save money. Indy has a chance to get the 1st overall. Even a team who needs a QB would be silly not to keep all their trading options on the table. Do not discount the possibility.

This I would agree to, trading up to get him is great. Tanking the season though....... I think there are 52 other players that would be very angry to hear thats the plan.....

Peyton, Just wanted to let you know you are in our prayers. In this difficult time you can stand strong with your head held high to the heavens. You are the best QB of the 21st century and (if TB takes offense which he won'.t) you will come back for more productive years in the future. Hoping for your complete recovery so that when you come back the other teams you will play in the future will be able to say they played against and were beaten by one of the best QB's to ever play the game.

Amen Jake. Stay Loud and Proud Brudda!!! GO HORSE!!!!

Now if you have a team who NEEDS a QB picking in the 1st round, then yes, I agree. It's a no-brainer. Andrew Luck is gone.

Not a single one of the teams you mentioned or any other team put in that posistion would not draft Luck anyway. They would be absolutely crazy not to. Luck is thought of as the only QB prospect that is a can't miss prospect. Do you honestly believe the teams you listed wouldn't dump their QB's in a second to get Luck. I mean, C'mon-Dalton,Newton,Locker, and Gabbert, they are all scrubs compared to Luck. No way on earth would they pass on the opportunity.

( I SAY ALOT DEPENDS ON POSITION PLAYED A QB TAKES SOME DEVASTATING HITS )

needs full eval first for approval, but think should IR and let him heal for a good year, it is 3rd surgery on neeck

Brother Cooper had a fusion, alot depends on how many vertebrae were fused & other variables, we dont know all the info

That's right, we don't know all the info. So why don't we just relax and see how things play out. There's no reason to IR him now on the same freaking day he had the surgery. He will have follow ups and checkups to see how he's doing. If at some point it becomes clear that there's no way for him to return at 100% this season then they will IR him. Until they have that evidence though it would be crazy to IR him right now. Bottom line though is there's no way he steps on the field unless he is 100% and as long as there's even a remote chance of him reaching that point by the end of this year then why not wait and find out? Now if we start out the season 0-8 then that would be a different story, but we haven't played a single game yet. Be patient people!

We need to get Carson Palmer to save our season. He's by far the best quarterback available. Sorry Kerry but Carson will give us a much better chance for the whole 16 games. I don't think Kerry was expected to play that much.

I would not be opposed to this at all....I've never been much of a fan of Collins. Don't get me wrong, I'm behind him 100% while he's in a Colts uni but prior to this season I was never much of a fan and that's not because he's a former Titan either. However, the Bengal's FO has shown no intention of letting Carson go so we'd likely have to give up way more than it would be worth to get them to change their minds.

I hope he does not! They play at New England in the harsh cold, late in the season. Peyton could potentially get injured again. Furthermore, NE fans would want nothing more than to knock Manning out and serve us a 40-0 whooping. I'd rather we save ourselves that embarrassment and just lose without him. Manning will be so out-of-sync, the game wont even be fun to watch. Hmm, I agree and disagree. Honestly, if he is 100% healthy at that point then I say let's see what the circumstances are at the time (such as game-day weather, how the NE defense has played up to that point, etc) before making the decision. Even if he has a rocky game and loses to NE, that would make him that much closer to getting back into rhythm, hopefully by the next game.

Actually, it is very possible. The top pick in the draft may not need a quarterback, since so many teams picked a QB 1st overall in last year's draft. This includes the Bengals, Panthers, Titans, and Jaguars - all four potentially awful enough to pick in the 1st round.last I checked, every team gets to pick in the first round unless they trade away their opportunity. I know it was a typo but had to give you a hard time :D The smartest thing for such a non-QB needy team to do is trade the top pick to the highest bidder AND save money. Indy has a chance to get the 1st overall. Even a team who needs a QB would be silly not to keep all their trading options on the table. Do not discount the possibility.

See replies in red inside this last quote.

Not what the surgery was for this time around. check facts plz

Its also not selfish to want him back. Oblivious fans don't realize that we possibly have 3-4 years left with Peyton now. If we can get him for even a portion of this year and go on a run we will be fine. Have faith.

Check your facts. That was the whole reason he had an additional surgery...the nerves were not regenerating properly.

As for this season, it's time to rally around Collins, he's our QB now!

This! The time for whining and feeling sorry for yourself is over. I've been a HUGE Colts supporter since the early 70's, and I'm not going to let up now. Whoever our QB is, I'm going to scream my butt off until I lose my voice. (like I normally do) Please people, keep going to the games and support our team!

Hopefully the team pulls through just like they did when Dungy left. I felt the team was on a mission to prove that they could survive without Dungy at the helm, and pulled off an almost perfect season and a Superbowl. Now they will have to prove it without their General, but we will see now what our team is made of.

Fusion surgeries are serious business. Nobody should expect Manning back this year. It's all about the individual, not every case exactly the same, but big things in Manning's favor are his excellent health/conditioning and the excellent rehabilitative care available. He may be able to beat some of the odds most common folks (not professional football players) typically come up against post fusion surgery. He could have some big decisions to make moving into 2012....remember he's a new father with children and family to consider and those comittments last a lifetime.

Not a single one of the teams you mentioned or any other team put in that posistion would not draft Luck anyway. They would be absolutely crazy not to. Luck is thought of as the only QB prospect that is a can't miss prospect. Do you honestly believe the teams you listed wouldn't dump their QB's in a second to get Luck. I mean, C'mon-Dalton,Newton,Locker, and Gabbert, they are all scrubs compared to Luck. No way on earth would they pass on the opportunity.

I agree they are scrubs compared to Luck, but I still doubt a franchise would do what you mentioned. If so, they would be conceding their former 1st round QB (Dalton, Newton, Locker, Gabbert) is a bust. When you pick a QB in the 1st round, there is expectations that QB will lead the team for years to come - not to mention the money involved! Furthermore, you can't evaluate a QB off of just one season, so even if Gabbert, Newton, Locker, and Dalton fail, they should still be their team's starters. We've seen this happen with Peyton Manning's rookie season.

Likewise, I highly doubt one of the four teams would pick Luck AND keep their other 1st round QB for three reasons:

1.) This is a lot of money involved having two young 1st round QB's making 1st round money.

2.) The team will have a decision to make who their starting QB is, resulting in a potentially divided locker room and divided fan-base.

3.) The young QB's will be in competition with another. For veterans, this is fine, but for young 1st round QB's I'm skeptical. The team should be placing their entire faith in their 1st round QB - not generating a rift as soon as the QB enters the building!

If they decide to get Luck anyways (doubt it), the best solution is hoping for a trade, but I highly doubt they will get a 1st round value back. This is because those QB's probably will not sufficiently prove themselves in their first season, similar to Manning.

I agree they are scrubs compared to Luck, but I still doubt a franchise would do what you mentioned. If so, they would be conceding their former 1st round QB (Dalton, Newton, Locker, Gabbert) is a bust. When you pick a QB in the 1st round, there is expectations that QB will lead the team for years to come - not to mention the money involved! Furthermore, you can't evaluate a QB off of just one season, so even if Gabbert, Newton, Locker, and Dalton fail, they should still be their team's starters. We've seen this happen with Peyton Manning's rookie season.

Likewise, I highly doubt one of the four teams would pick Luck AND keep their other 1st round QB for three reasons:

1.) This is a lot of money wasted having two young 1st round QB's making 1st round money.

2.) The team will have a decision to make who their starting QB is, resulting in a potentially divided locker room and divided fan-base.

3.) The young QB's will be in competition with another. For veterans, this is fine, but for young QB's I'm skeptical. The team should be placing their entire faith in their 1st round QB - not generating a rift as soon as the QB enters the building!

If they decide to get rid of one, the best solution is hoping for a trade, but I highly doubt they will get a 1st round value back. This is because those QB's probably will not sufficiently prove themselves in their first season, similar to Manning.

Well, I think were just going to have agree to disagree. IMO every one of those teams would trade their current 1st rd. picks and draft Luck in a heartbeat without even second guessing themselves.

Yea I don't know, I just think it makes no sense from a business perspective to pick a 2nd 1st round QB in back-to-back seasons. I just don't see it happening, but to each his own. :)

Even if they get 2nd round value back for the former pick, that's conceding defeat in last year's draft.

You dont know that, the article said it is possibly career ending what prove do you have to say other wise?

Well until I hear that from the surgeon that did his surgery I don't listen to the other doctors because none of them know exactly what is happening and his medical history. Each individual is different but I think it would be smart to let him have the year off to get fully healed and stronger. Why take a chance for a few games not smart. JMO of course. I would rather have a Peyton next season fully recovered than taking a chance this year. Everyone is disappointed but things like this happen. Let's just buck up and stand behind Collins. Might be a big surprise .

Lets straighten one thing out. This surgery is NOT career ending, it does however take quite sometime for it to heal.

Im reading the article posted on the front page BY THE COLTS ORGANIZATION THAT STATED 2 FORMER COLTS PLAYERS HAD THIS SAME SURGERY AND RESUMED THEIR CAREERS. No need for sarcasm. Read the other parts of the thread before acting like you know what you're talking about.

You're taking things for granted. The Colts, and doctors don't determine how mother nature works. As much should be obvious by the situation we're in. There is no surgical recovery rate of 100%. There could potentially be lingering problems as a result of all of this.

You're taking things for granted. The Colts, and doctors don't determine how mother nature works. As much should be obvious by the situation we're in. There is no surgical recovery rate of 100%. There could potentially be lingering problems as a result of all of this.

Yes sir.

Everyones body is different. These other cases are players whom play a different position. A QB's throwing motion is anchored to the shoulder and neck.

The reality is that Peyton may be done for his career. Maybe not. Maybe he'll comeback next year and light up the league for 4 straight seasons. Maybe he'll try but never regain the power and accuracy he once had.

Lets straighten one thing out. This surgery is NOT career ending, it does however take quite sometime for it to heal.

Im reading the article posted on the front page BY THE COLTS ORGANIZATION THAT STATED 2 FORMER COLTS PLAYERS HAD THIS SAME SURGERY AND RESUMED THEIR CAREERS. No need for sarcasm. Read the other parts of the thread before acting like you know what you're talking about.

Aha. Just read the Colts statement and this jumped out at me:

“This procedure is performed regularly throughout the country on persons from all walks of life, including professional football players. Two former Colts players had this same procedure last winter and have fully resumed their careers."

Kelvin Hayden.

IR'd with a neck injury late last season.

And while he's made a roster, there are some yellow flags waved. The Bears and Redskins took a look at him and each supposedly passed because of his previous injury and/or where he was in recovery. Also, could it possibly be that we made the call to release him not just because of his salary, but because the injury and ensuing surgery were going to leave him less than 100% for the remainder of his career?

Hayden, as I recall, had his surgery before the end of the season last year. If he showed up to the Bears and the Redskins still not fully fit that's well out of the purported 2-3 months recovery time... Pure speculation, but it's not at all out of the question...

I'm stretching my mind to think of who else could have had it, and the only name I can think of would be Charlie Johnson, who I believe spent weeks on the injury report with a neck or back issue... If anyone else has any ideas who it may have been, feel free to throw your idea out there because it might help us figure out around what we can expect with recovery...

I know it's not lifting, but I know there can be more than 22 pounds of torque when he throws, anyone have any idea if that torque would act on the body like lifting would?

I don't know physics, but I did have a cervical fusion. I was given the OK to "resume normal activities" within a few weeks. If I could lift a bag of dog food, I wouldn't worry too much about an athlete lifting 22 pounds. But I also think that the idea of him playing again this season is a bit crazy. The bag of dog food never tried to lift me up and slam me head-first into the ground.

Normally I'd say no to drafting Luck because under normal circumstances he'd be sitting on the bench for 5 years. After hearing this though, Manning might have to retire much sooner.

However I don't want to tank.

I agree...if Peyton is IR'd or God forbid, forced to retire...we shouldn't intentionally tank the season. And no one would be happier than me for the Colts to pull a "Jeff Hostetler" and shock the world with a Super Bowl win led by a backup QB.

But realistically, in looking at our schedule...I think we go 7-9, at best. And 4 of those victories assume we sweep Tennessee and Jacksonville....which we often struggled to do WITH Peyton. Cleveland, Cincinnati and Carolina look weak and beatable...but without Manning all bets are off. So unfortunately....a 3-5 win season is not out of the realm of possibility.

I'm not a "sky is falling" type of person...but if we are looking at a situation where we wind up at or near the top of the draft, with Peyton's health uncertain...then the front office has an obligation to go all out for Andrew Luck.

sad how overnight a great one's career is over.

no choice but to move on.

when did Manning injure his neck? when did this happen?

Let's not bury him yet, please.

He's been battling neck problems for at least the last 2 years. Some people point to the Washington game in 2006 as the start, but it's kind of a chronic thing rather than an injury that can be pinpointed.

:facepalm:

+1, agreed.

New Peyton News:

Colts president Bill Polian was told by doctors there is a chance Peyton Manning (neck surgery) could play this year.

"It's a chance," Polian said, "not a guarantee." Even if it's a long shot, it makes sense to keep Manning off injured reserve until they gauge his progress once he begins training in 6-8 weeks. Asked if the Colts would consider making a run at free agent David Garrard, Polian responded, "No. Not at the moment."