Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2013 NFL Draft/FA

And we're NOT taking Offense, this will be a DEFENSE HEAVY Draft

Why do people keep saying this?

Kinda depends on what we do in FA, doesn't it?

I agree that we'll pick up plenty of defense this off season. That and OL, but to say the draft will be defense heavy is not a given.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="buccolts" data-cid="362989" data-time="1355720741"><p>

Why do people keep saying this?<br />

Kinda depends on what we do in FA, doesn't it?<br />

I agree that we'll pick up plenty of defense this off season. That and OL, but to say the draft will be defense heavy is not a given.</p></blockquote> took words right outta my mouth

Why do people keep saying this?

Kinda depends on what we do in FA, doesn't it?

I agree that we'll pick up plenty of defense this off season. That and OL, but to say the draft will be defense heavy is not a given.

You nailed it.  Grigson will draft according to his board.  If that best players are offense, that is who he will draft.  No way he goes into the draft thinking "We have to go defense"

You nailed it.  Grigson will draft according to his board.  If that best players are offense, that is who he will draft.  No way he goes into the draft thinking "We have to go defense"

Yes,  Grigson will draft according to his board,  but his board may be set up to favor defense.    We'll see.

If we go heavy on the OL in Free Agency,  then I think most of the picks -- maybe not all of the picks, but most -- will go towards defense.    The need is there.    I think the need there out-weighs the needs on offense (except the OL)....

Just my two cents....

You mean Warmack???? Not Warford????

No, he means Warford.    

Warmack will be gone in the top half of the first round.   His trade idea is to trade DOWN out of the first round and pick-up picks in the 2nd, 3rd and 5th rounds.     His 3rd round pick is a guard.   Warford is very good.   I just don't know if he'll be around when we pick around 85th-90th in the 3rd round.  

Hope that clarifies....

Personally, I think Donald Brown is gone. I would like to see Ben Tate. He runs hard. Having him and Vick Ballard could be a great tandem. Not to mention he would be probably pretty cheap. I think we need pretty much a whole new line with the exception of Anthony Castanzo. I've heard that Jake Long is maybe on the way out, I'm not saying we get him, but it would be a great addition. We have the money, let's use it on solid pick ups. I wouldn't want any really flashy signings other Jake. The main thing is getting players who are of the Colts mentality. I have full confidence in our Grigs, Pagano, and CO.

Thinking of FA OT Jake Long who would be playing opposite of Costanzo and the Colts trade up to get OG Jonathan Cooper in the draft and then get FA OG Andy Levitre, and get a couple undrafted centers and keep Statele as well just in case and also I want FA Safety Jairus Byrd and with the 3rd and 4th pick try and get a new DE/OLB if Freeney doesn't want to go to 4 mil a year, just tell him flat out this is what we offer right before the draft and get a signature and if not then say we are VERY gratefull for you playing for the Colts and wish you much more success and then draft best DE/OLB with 3rd pick and the next pick find a stud WR or a FS and Colts getting back 2 condional picks from trades and then picking the best player available and the Colts will be ready to dominate the AFC for years to come...

Go Colts...

Thinking of FA OT Jake Long who would be playing opposite of Costanzo and the Colts trade up to get OG Jonathan Cooper in the draft and then get FA OG Andy Levitre, and get a couple undrafted centers and keep Statele as well just in case and also I want FA Safety Jairus Byrd and with the 3rd and 4th pick try and get a new DE/OLB if Freeney doesn't want to go to 4 mil a year, just tell him flat out this is what we offer right before the draft and get a signature and if not then say we are VERY gratefull for you playing for the Colts and wish you much more success and then draft best DE/OLB with 3rd pick and the next pick find a stud WR or a FS and Colts getting back 2 condional picks from trades and then picking the best player available and the Colts will be ready to dominate the AFC for years to come...

Go Colts...

Go Colts...

Larry Warford, I assume. Warmack wont be there.

To the OP, im not a huge fan of the Jenkins pick, and the Barner pick is laughably awful.

I have said this in other posts, and got a lot of negative responses, (like that's anything new when it comes to arguing the draft), however, if Barner is available at 3 or higher, why not take a flyer on a dependable back with explosiveness and toughness..with good hands. The way Oregon runs their offense, he got to be in awesome shape to carry 25-30 times a game, and produce like he did. He is one of the top backs in college football. And he is an excellent Kickoff returner as well.

And if you pull the argument that we don't need a back..just look at this week and say..Mewelde Moore???? Brown has been hurt most of the year, and Cater is now hurt and has fumbleitis,,,We do need some RB depth, though I KNOW the priority is OL and Defense..With the cap space we can also address these issues with Free Agency and Early draft picks..

If a good talent is there in a later round, and we do need depth at that position, I say go for it.. And remember this..a lot of people were complaining about trading up for Hilton...and look at him producing when Collie went out...Better to be safe than sorry..(can you say Mewelde Moore again.). And a tandem of Ballard and Barner would be an awesome duo...

Just a little info on the consensus All American Barner..

Oregon’s fifth consensus All-American in school history has run for 1,624 yards and scored 22 touchdowns this season to rank fifth in the country in rushing (135.3 avg.) and tied for sixth in scoring (11.0 ppg). The Riverside, Calif., senior also is tied for fourth nationally in TDs scored while ascending to second on the Ducks’ all-time single-season scoring list (132 points) and fourth on the one-year rushing ledger. Barner eclipsed the 100-yard rushing plateau in seven of 12 appearances this season and ran for 195 yards or more four times, including a career-high 321 yards (and five touchdowns) at USC.

Some draft notes I found on him:

Name: Kenjon Barner 

College: Oregon     Number: 24

Height: 5-11   Weight: 192

Position: RB  Pos2: KR

Class/Draft Year: rSr/2013

40 Low: 4.28   40 Time: 4.39

Projected Round:   Stock: up.gif   

Rated number 8 out of 177 RB's

But people..please take note..if we would draft him, I would be extremely happy..if we don't and draft another position or need, that's fine too..I'm not saying taking him over an equally as good lineman, db, or whatever...I think he'd be worth the pick if late 3 or later..(especially if the OP's trade would come to fruition)

It wouldn't be a laughably awful pick later in the draft..

Larry Warford, I assume. Warmack wont be there.

To the OP, im not a huge fan of the Jenkins pick, and the Barner pick is laughably awful.

I don't want us spending a pick in the first 5 rounds on a running back.   But Barner is not a laughably awful player.    I'm not even sure he'll be available to be picked by us at the bottom of the 3rd round, roughly 85-90.

We may not need him there.   But he's a good running back. 

So, I assume your comment to mean you don't want to use a #3 on a RB??

I don't want us spending a pick in the first 5 rounds on a running back.   But Barner is not a laughably awful player.    I'm not even sure he'll be available to be picked by us at the bottom of the 3rd round, roughly 85-90.

We may not need him there.   But he's a good running back. 

So, I assume your comment to mean you don't want to use a #3 on a RB??

I never said Barner is awful, I said the Barner pick was.

1.Warmack-G (He is not better then Decastro they are on equal footing in most areas in my opinion, if anything Decastro can get to the 2nd level quicker. there is very little chance Warmack has a grade of 92.5 in my opinion, close but not quite that high) and Decastro lasted until pick 24, expect  for Warmack to go close to around that.

3.Brandon Jenkins-3/4 OLB/DE

4.Joe Vellano-3/4 DE

5.Comp pick-Brandan Bishop or Kwame Geathers-SS/NT

6.Comp-Dan Buckner-WR

7.Kenny Okoro-Corner

1.Warmack-G (He is not better then Decastro they are on equal footing in most areas in my opinion, if anything Decastro can get to the 2nd level quicker. there is very little chance Warmack has a grade of 92.5 in my opinion, close but not quite that high) and Decastro lasted until pick 24, expect  for Warmack to go close to around that.

3.Brandon Jenkins-3/4 OLB/DE

4.Joe Vellano-3/4 DE

5.Comp pick-Brandan Bishop or Kwame Geathers-SS/NT

6.Comp-Dan Buckner-WR

7.Kenny Okoro-Corner

I think you're in for a terrible disappointment with Warmack.

The reason DeCastro lasted as long is because he was in a much better, much stronger draft.

The 2013 draft will not be nearly as strong as last year's.   Not even close in my opinion, and especially at the top.   There aren't enough players with better grades to push Warmack down to wherever the Colts pick.    Granted,  even if he's top-10 on every board, he may not go that high just due to his position.   But to think he's going to fall to the low to mid-20's simply because DeCastro did is -- in my opinion -- wishful thinking.

I hope I'm wrong and you're right.   But I just don't see it.

No way we waste a 3rd round pick on a running back.

And just why would that pick be a waste?

If that pick ended up being the next LT/AP, would it be a waste?

Sorry, but I do not buy any logic that suggests a pick is failed based on what position is drafted. If we use a 3rd on some guy we don't need, but he ends up being the next Ray Lewis, there is no way at the time of the pick to determine whether or not it was a waste. Ugh.

And just why would that pick be a waste?

If that pick ended up being the next LT/AP, would it be a waste?

Sorry, but I do not buy any logic that suggests a pick is failed based on what position is drafted. If we use a 3rd on some guy we don't need, but he ends up being the next Ray Lewis, there is no way at the time of the pick to determine whether or not it was a waste. Ugh.

It would be a bad pick because we do not have a 2nd round pick(so even with the proposed trade we still only have 3 picks in rounds 1-3), and we have other positions that are a much higher priority than RB that need to be addressed with the higher picks. The odds that hes is "the next LT/AP" is slim to none, but the odds we could use that pick to draft a player to contribute at an area of bigger need (DL, OL, DB) is much higher. Also many recent successful RBs have shown that RB is a position where there is a decent chance of finding good ones later in the draft of even as UDFA. SO unless you are likely getting AP/LT or you are set at most other positions and can afford a luxury pick (neither of which is the case for us)this would be a bad pick.

It would be a bad pick because we do not have a 2nd round pick(so even with the proposed trade we still only have 3 picks in rounds 1-3), and we have other positions that are a much higher priority than RB that need to be addressed with the higher picks. The odds that hes is "the next LT/AP" is slim to none, but the odds we could use that pick to draft a player to contribute at an area of bigger need (DL, OL, DB) is much higher. Also many recent successful RBs have shown that RB is a position where there is a decent chance of finding good ones later in the draft of even as UDFA. SO unless you are likely getting AP/LT or you are set at most other positions and can afford a luxury pick (neither of which is the case for us)this would be a bad pick.

That's the point, however. No one knows how any of these will pan out. But the reality is, the guys in charge get to visit these players, and tend to know a heck of a lot about them.

So they're sitting at pick 3, and their option is a RB they feel REALLY good about, or a guard prospect they feel ok about. Both are slated to go around that spot, so whichever they don't draft they won't get a shot at. We have a stronger need for guard than RB, but we still need both.

IMO, in this scenario, you take the RB. There are plenty of players you feel ok about, so just take the next one. If they feel really good about a guy, (and thus far Grigson's ideas have been pretty good), then chances are he can contribute in a big way for the team.

Which this falls in a similar theory as the Polian Principle of BPA. But the thing is, you have to take guys you like, and follow through with them. Make sure they get opportunities otherwise it will be a wasted pick. So, if it were to be a RB, you need to give him reps behind your starter (which appears to be a very strong Ballard), and simply let him get some touches. Don't sign guys and force him down to #3 or #4 on the depth chart. That's where Polian failed, IMO. He didn't follow through with some of the guys, and perhaps that's on the player (Ugoh), but I've seen a lot of higher picks through the Polian years that saw very little field time (Hughes for example, and Brown earlier on).

But again, you cannot know based on a position that the pick is wasted. If Grigson sees a talented draft pick option, and follows through, it should provide a larger impact than simply drafting based on need.

That's the point, however. No one knows how any of these will pan out. But the reality is, the guys in charge get to visit these players, and tend to know a heck of a lot about them.

So they're sitting at pick 3, and their option is a RB they feel REALLY good about, or a guard prospect they feel ok about. Both are slated to go around that spot, so whichever they don't draft they won't get a shot at. We have a stronger need for guard than RB, but we still need both.

IMO, in this scenario, you take the RB. There are plenty of players you feel ok about, so just take the next one. If they feel really good about a guy, (and thus far Grigson's ideas have been pretty good), then chances are he can contribute in a big way for the team.

Which this falls in a similar theory as the Polian Principle of BPA. But the thing is, you have to take guys you like, and follow through with them. Make sure they get opportunities otherwise it will be a wasted pick. So, if it were to be a RB, you need to give him reps behind your starter (which appears to be a very strong Ballard), and simply let him get some touches. Don't sign guys and force him down to #3 or #4 on the depth chart. That's where Polian failed, IMO. He didn't follow through with some of the guys, and perhaps that's on the player (Ugoh), but I've seen a lot of higher picks through the Polian years that saw very little field time (Hughes for example, and Brown earlier on).

But again, you cannot know based on a position that the pick is wasted. If Grigson sees a talented draft pick option, and follows through, it should provide a larger impact than simply drafting based on need.

I know the mantra is BPA regardless of position & "we are going to stick to our draft board", but in reality need is a variable most teams use to some degree when deciding who to pick.

The basis of your argument allows for any player to be picked in the 3rd round and not be considered a wasted pick because we do not know what the draft board looks like. You created a totally hypothetical situation in which they may indeed pick Barner; ....but realistically with all of our needs I find it VERY improbable that there is not a player available in the 3rd that is both graded higher overall and also fills a position of need that would be a far better pick than Barner.

Grigson will not pick Barner in the first 3 rounds even if the OP's trade happens ... mark it down.

I know the mantra is BPA regardless of position & "we are going to stick to our draft board", but in reality need is a variable most teams use to some degree when deciding who to pick.

The basis of your argument allows for any player to be picked in the 3rd round and not be considered a wasted pick because we do not know what the draft board looks like. You created a totally hypothetical situation in which they may indeed pick Barner; ....but realistically with all of our needs I find it VERY improbable that there is not a player available in the 3rd that is both graded higher overall and also fills a position of need that would be a far better pick than Barner.

Grigson will not pick Barner in the first 3 rounds even if the OP's trade happens ... mark it down.

My argument has nothing to do with Barner. It has everything to do with methodology. If they feel better about another player who fills a necessary backup role, I'd rather them take a guy who they feel can contribute at a higher level.

Ultimately need will affect the equation, but they need to trust their instincts. If they like a guy, despite not having a starting need for him, they should still draft him. They'll find a way to work a valuable player into the rotation.

I strongly believe Brown will be gone after season.

his contract that says 1 more year left strongly says he will be back ,factor in the fact that he  is our most explosive Back (he is a game changer do to his speed) and also he has not fumbled since his rookie year then it could be a mistake creating a hole where there does not need to be on. Chances are very high Moore will be gone in my opinion (he is already 30 years old). Deji Karim, he is just a Return man. Carter maybe seeing as how Running Backs that run without the ball are useless on the field ALTHOUGH he is signed till the end of 2014 or Davin Meggett but I have no idea how long he will be around, he is on the PS