Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Teams Needing QB's in 2013 Draft

Isn't it funny how you think pretty much every team has their QB when the draft is over ? Last year it looked like just KC and maybe AZ would need a QB when the dust settled. Now we're looking at Jacksonville , KC , Jets , Oakland (IMO) , AZ and Buffalo all no doubt in the world needing to draft QB's. Maybe this might provide a great chance for the Colts to trade down as there appears to be maybe one if any (Smith or Barkley ?) QB worthy of a top 10 pick. So if there is one of those five teams (assuming 1 selects a QB with it's early 1st round pick) that wants to trade back into the 1st to get their guy , we probably will be situated in a decent spot to make such a deal.

You have look at which teams have all their 7 picks, those are the ones most likely to trade with you by moving up from their round 2 spot. Next, you need to identify QBs that can drop

1. Arizona - has all 7 picks in draft, can move up for Matt Barkley or Tyler Wilson. Tyler Wilson is probably available around the 20s where we pick, IMO. We can definitely get a 2nd and 3rd plus late rounder (6th or 7th) for that
  2. KC - With the success of RG3 and Cam Newton in the NFL, a QB like E.J.Manuel will garner interest from teams. The Chiefs have all 7 picks in draft
  3. Oakland - does not have a 2nd round pick, so scratch them off
  4. Buffalo - has no 7th rounder but their 2nd rounder would probably be less valuable than KC and Arizona
  5. Jets - Rex Ryan and Jets are too stubborn to think about drafting a QB early
  6. Jags - division rivals, they wont even try trading with us

So, the Cardinals, Chiefs and Bills are the 3 teams most likely to move up.

You have look at which teams have all their 7 picks, those are the ones most likely to trade with you by moving up from their round 2 spot. Next, you need to identify QBs that can drop

1. Arizona - has all 7 picks in draft, can move up for Matt Barkley or Tyler Wilson. Tyler Wilson is probably available around the 20s where we pick, IMO. We can definitely get a 2nd and 3rd plus late rounder (6th or 7th) for that
  2. KC - With the success of RG3 and Cam Newton in the NFL, a QB like E.J.Manuel will garner interest from teams. The Chiefs have all 7 picks in draft
  3. Oakland - does not have a 2nd round pick, so scratch them off
  4. Buffalo - has no 7th rounder but their 2nd rounder would probably be less valuable than KC and Arizona
  5. Jets - Rex Ryan and Jets are too stubborn to think about drafting a QB early
  6. Jags - division rivals, they wont even try trading with us

So, the Cardinals, Chiefs and Bills are the 3 teams most likely to move up.

Agree on the Jags comment. Jets would be a possibility as you're only guessing at Ryan's mindset . plus there is an owner and GM . Oakland would still be a possibilty as you could factor in 2014 draft picks but would be a real dark horse as you point out. Plus they might not want to give up on Palmer and also might want to give the Ohio Sate guy a shot.

The thing with the Jets.... it's not just their stubbornness...

They have guaranteed money locked up with Sanchez for next year. They gave him a big new contract this past spring and the guaranteed money stretched out over two years. He's reportedly locked in to $8.25 Mill for next year. It's hard for a franchise with so much tied into one player to suddenly eat that kind of money. But 2013 is likely eat for MS. He's either got to really step up his game, or he'll be with a new team in 2014.

The thing with the Jets.... it's not just their stubbornness...

They have guaranteed money locked up with Sanchez for next year. They gave him a big new contract this past spring and the guaranteed money stretched out over two years. He's reportedly locked in to $8.25 Mill for next year. It's hard for a franchise with so much tied into one player to suddenly eat that kind of money. But 2013 is likely eat for MS. He's either got to really step up his game, or he'll be with a new team in 2014.

You're right about the fact that it would be tough for the Jets to cut Sanchez but if they felt their QB of the future was sitting there in the 20's there's nothing to say they wouldn't make a move to draft him. The cap hit for a 1st rounder around that slot spot is very small. Weeden signed an 8,000,000 4 year deal and he was taken at pick 22. Thus they could keep Sanchez and have the rookie sit behind him for a year or start the later games if Sanchez bombs and needs to be replaced.

You're right about the fact that it would be tough for the Jets to cut Sanchez but if they felt their QB of the future was sitting there in the 20's there's nothing to say they wouldn't make a move to draft him. The cap hit for a 1st rounder around that slot spot is very small. Weeden signed an 8,000,000 4 year deal and he was taken at pick 22. Thus they could keep Sanchez and have the rookie sit behind him for a year or start the later games if Sanchez bombs and needs to be replaced.

I think if the Jets felt a good fit for them was there in the 1st or 2nd round, they'd take him. Sanchez is only locked into one more year. The rookie could sit for a year if need be and learn. The money for the draft pick isn't the issue.... burning the $8+ million is likely the bigger issue. The Jets also have all that they gave up to trade up for Sanchez as well as the money they gave him back when first round money was HUGE.

I don't see them with the guts to admit a mistake and eat the money. I suspect Sanchez has one more year to put up or move on. Just my hunch.

agree about the QB's coming out the next couple years.. probably need to also factor Alex Smith into equation... I think the Chiefs look at him hard if they have the Cap room. Don't see the niners letting him go to Cardinals ( Division ) rivals

Maybe M. Vick also ?

This is why we're so lucky that we were able to draft Andrew when we did. There's no real "Can't miss" QB prospects in the next two drafts at least. In my opinion no QB deserves to be drafted in the first round this year, however some desperate team will.

That assessment might be a bit harsh. You have to take the value of the possition into account . Buffalo who should pick around 12 has already stated that they willt rade up if necessary to get their guy at QB this year. Could be a GM blowing smoke but I'm sure 2-3 QBs will go in the first .

what has become a weekly discussion of his franchise's quarterback situation, Bills GM Buddy Nix suggested Friday that he's keen on trading up to address the position in this year's draft.

"Let me say this: I think there's a time that in the era that you're in and the development of your team, there's a time when you can move up a round to take a quarterback," Nix said. "And I think the time's now for us ... We need a good, young quarterback, and we're going to do our best to get him." Nix has waffled a bit on the issue, but has essentially conceded that Ryan Fitzpatrick is not the solution.

All this means that we're going to get some players that we really covet to fall down the draft board and land in our lap

We would be most primed to take advantage of that if a team like the Chiefs, Cardinals or Bills moves up from round 2 to bottom of round 1 when they see a QB has fallen to the 20s. The price may just be a 2nd and 3rd and a late rounder (5th or 6th or 7th) but that is definitely more acceptable to teams than giving up 2 or 3 first rounders.

The Colts may after all not be in a bad spot by picking in the 20s, if that is where I think they will land. :)

Maybe not having Polian might also allow teams to treat Grigson with an open mind with regards to trades, maybe???

What if in free agency we are able to sure up our o-line. Then one of these teams comes calling to move up to get our first rounder to pick one of the quarterbacks in this draft. What if we trade our first rounder for a first round pick next year. This would hurt us in this draft with not picking til the 3rd round. But if we get a first round pick from a team that is going to start a rookie qb next year, that could mean a higher pick ( you would think) and hopefully a later first round pick if we continue to progress. I know this might be out there and would only be in consideration if we can improve our oline in FA. But having two first round picks next year would allow us to get 2 impact  players. I also know that it would be difficult to get a first round pick from any team trying to move up to take one of the qbs in this draft. But that would sure be nice.