Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The Pressure's On....the Texans!

cmgww

Heard an interesting take from a Houston writer today on JMV's show that the pressure is really on Houston to not only win this opener, but the division (now that Peyton is out indefinitely). It got me to thinking....We all know Houston traditionally has crumbled under pressure over the course of the season, repeatedly. The Colts will come into this game with something big to prove, a chip on their shoulders. Meanwhile, the media has all but written us off, and most (national types) have already crowned Houston division champs.

What does this mean you say? ALL THE PRESSURE is on Houston. They know it too. The Colts are written off for dead without 18, and it's already been said by more than a few talking heads that it's now or never for the Texans. I see the Colts coming out loose but angry (if that is possible)...Houston will play tight b/c they don't handle pressure historically. They were 4-2 last season at one point before folding like a tent.

I think we win the opener. It will be close, but I think this Texans team will not respond well to the pressure placed upon them. The Colts have had the targets on their backs for a decade now and know how to get it done (case in point, winning the division with the JV team last year). The Texans have never had to deal with that.

This is just my opinion, feel free to chime in...

They definitely are under pressure, right now everyones crowning them without them even playing a game. You better believe the colts will be flying around trying to take off heads. After the colts win against the texans i wonder what the media is gonna say.

Wow if we beat the Texans on Sunday, it would be so devastating to that franchise and their fans, lol could you imagine?! In a way we have the element of surprise on our side. Kerry Collins already knows the Texans and so do the coaches, but they have no idea what we're going to do. If they come in thinking that we're a very mediocre running team at best I think they're in for a surprise. We can run the ball when we try IMO, we may even see the return of the old pro bowl Joe Addai. One can hope, Go Colts!

If you look at it that way, the pressure has been on Houston for a long time. For the last 3 years, people have been saying that it is finally Houston's turn to win the division and they have failed every time. I do agree though, the pressure is really on Houston this year. If they don't make the playoffs, Kubiak needs to go...though as a Colts fan, I don't mind him staying and keeping the Texans out of the playoffs for a few more seasons

Yea I mean frankly all the Texan fans I'm hearing from are unanimously saying the Texans will win... and presumably, it wont even be close. Scores like 13-30 are being thrown around. I agree with them though, both on the score, and the verdict, but I'm also very optimistic the Colts will somehow prove everyone wrong, like they have done to the Texans in the past.

Let's face it; Collins is awful with new teams opening a season, but if they can somehow get a run game going and a dominant defense (maybe a lucky special teams return here and there) then a win is very much possible.

They definitely are under pressure, right now everyones crowning them without them even playing a game. You better believe the colts will be flying around trying to take off heads. After the colts win against the texans i wonder what the media is gonna say.

It would be quit the story

That is interesting.

I don't see the pressure affecting the 1st game for them as much as the pressure over the full season.

Big difference.

This will be a very interesting season indeed, no matter how it goes.

I can't help but wonder if Manning's "situation" wouldn't be different right now without a strike.

It would also be interesting to know how and why he decided to have the surgery without the team's input because of the strike.

Would it have been handled differently? Would the result have been different? Would he have waited until after this season?

Too bad we'll never know.

Unlike some, I'm not crowning the Texans with anything anytime soon. I like cold hard facts, which in this case would be playing actual regular season football games without blowing themselves up towards the middle/end of the season. There is no denying history, and for some that say history doesn't matter in football I don't get it? We can't just ignore the 9 year history of this team. It's the same story year end and year out, sure everyone is freaking that Pmoney is hurt and he's never ever coming back in the history of everdom, but the fact still remains that the Texans have sucked in past seasons and there is a chance they will suck again. Chalking it up to "oh well its a new year you can't guess anything" makes no sense to me. The same argument goes for teams with great records every year. If you say the Patriots will do great this year because they've consistently done great year in and year out, then why can't we say that the Texans will suck because they've consistently sucked? And yes I understand all the changes they've made on defense with Wade, and Schuab is great and blah blah blah. BUT lets not give them the crown yet, and I agree the Texans do have most of the pressure because its been said for the past few years that its FINALLY their year. Ask yourself this, why be confident in a team finally winning their division, if the only reason you're saying they will win their division is not because they're a team to be reckoned with, but because everyone sucks more than they do? Thats an awkward appreciation by default.

I hope we don't over-commit to the run. If I were game planning for us, I would stack 7 or 8 in the box until Collins starts to open up. I hope we try to run some play action early with a strong dose of ground and pound. The biggest help to a new QB is the running game, which we have improved with our line and fullback, and a Tight end. The last I checked, Clark and Tamme can catch the ball pretty well. I can't wait until Sunday

With Manning out for who knows how long all the presure is squairly on the shoulders of the Texans. If they can't win the division this year when are they ever going to be able too? There is no way around it. In the past the Texans have not handled pressure or expectations very well. Frankly other than us the only team in the South who has is th Titans. I am a big believer in culture in the NFL and I think the Colts and Titans (at least while Fisher was there) had one of winning. I think the Jags and Texans have one of losing and it is extremely hard to change that. That's why I don't say hand the Texans anything. They have to prove they can over come their past demons and win the division even with it seemingly handed to them on a silver platter. They had it right there for the taking last year after they crushed us in week one and after a 2-0 start they went 4-10 the rest of the way including 2-8 in their last 10 games.

I think the Jags commited to rebuilding this year by dumping their starting QB right before the start of the season. The Titans also look to be rebuilding but I do think they upgraded their QB poistion with Hasselbeck over Young. They do have Johnson as well. If the new coach can coach at all they could be the surprise team in the South this year. If those two teams are rebuilding though and the Texans crack under the pressure again the AFC South could very well be the AFC's answer to the NFC West and it might only take a record of 8-8, 9-7, or 10-6 to win in.

WE HAVE TO BELIEVE IN BLUE

WE CAN BEAT THAT * TEXANS TEAM

WITHOUT ARYAN FOSTER

THEY SUCK

LLETS GO COLTS

I SEE US WINNING 31-9

C'mon man!

Reel it in and put the pom-poms away.

You think a QB that has consecutive 4,000 YRD+ seasons (4,700+ last year) and Andre Johnson is only going to score 3 FG's against our D? You seriously think this?

C'mon man!

Reel it in and put the pom-poms away.

You think a QB that has consecutive 4,000 YRD+ seasons (4,700+ last year) and Andre Johnson is only going to score 3 FG's against our D? You seriously think this?

No I think they are going to get a TD and a safety :) No really it's what he or she thinks. No big deal. Not everyone is doing the doom and gloom thing.

I hope we don't over-commit to the run. If I were game planning for us, I would stack 7 or 8 in the box until Collins starts to open up. I hope we try to run some play action early with a strong dose of ground and pound. The biggest help to a new QB is the running game, which we have improved with our line and fullback, and a Tight end. The last I checked, Clark and Tamme can catch the ball pretty well. I can't wait until Sunday

I guess the question is whether Collins is any good (or has a good enough grasp of the playbook) to change the play at the line. You always want to take what they are offering, and they have to be pretty confused at this point after a spending so much energy focusing on defending against Peyton. Collins has to at least heave one occasionally to keep them honest, but I'm OK with running. Use up as much time as possible because we don't want to get into a shooting match with them.

Actually even without Foster the Colts ability to stop their run game may be the most important factor in the game. You always have to like our chances when someone is trying to pass every down.

WE HAVE TO BELIEVE IN BLUE

WE CAN BEAT THAT * TEXANS TEAM

WITHOUT ARYAN FOSTER

THEY SUCK

LLETS GO COLTS

I SEE US WINNING 31-9

Dude!!! You need to listen to Ruksak. The Texans are hardly one dimensional. And Ben Tate is no slouch. The Texans are loaded with talent on both sides of the ball and the only way you beat the Texans on Sunday is for them to pull one of there famous no shows.

In other words,the Texans should win this game. They have the talent.....but they are the Texans,so you never know.

Dude!!! You need to listen to Ruksak. The Texans are hardly one dimensional. And Ben Tate is no slouch. The Texans are loaded with talent on both sides of the ball and the only way you beat the Texans on Sunday is for them to pull one of there famous no shows.

In other words,the Texans should win this game. They have the talent.....but they are the Texans,so you never know.

I think this merits the saying "fan?" idk. Williams is a LB who is gonna be in the End position on obvious passing downs, teams are gonna throw non stop to that guys side cause they know he cant catch or defend. Foster is doubtful for the game, i mean come on.. the texans just converted to a 3-4 defense for christ sakes lol

Yeh I saw Foster didn't practice today and Clayton said he is doubtful.

The colts still need to be well prepared for Foster and need to do a MUCH better job with the run defense this year. I think our run defense will determine the outcome of the game. But then again they may be counting on us focusing on the run and surprise us with their passing game. Our D really needs to step up this year in every aspect and help win some games. I'm tired of everyone saying the Colts are nothing without #18 and they need to prove them all wrong. I just hope they can stay healthy and confident this year.

You're absolutely right. The pressure is squarely on the Texans shoulders. No one (except some of our fans) expects us to win this game, or be ANYTHING this year. However...maybe a lot of Texans fans are saying this games in the bag, I doubt the actual team and players are. They are, after all, professionals. If this game was in Indy, I might actually pick us to win. However, like last year, Reliant is gonna be rockin' and the Texans are gonna be electrified in the first half of the game. Our only real chance is to keep it close and give ourselves a chance to win at the end.

I just don't see our offense being able to keep up with theirs without Peyton. I'm going with Texans 31-17.

At any rate...As always. Go Colts :coltshelmet:

Does anyone remember Houston rushing for 257 yards in game 1 last year? If our offense can't move the ball it will be the same thing over again. Even without Foster, Houston will still have a formidable rushing attack.

I agree that this is likely to be the linchpin of the game, but I'm hoping we have a demonstrable better rushing defense. Three new players, and others one year better.

I think this merits the saying "fan?" idk. Williams is a LB who is gonna be in the End position on obvious passing downs, teams are gonna throw non stop to that guys side cause they know he cant catch or defend. Foster is doubtful for the game, i mean come on.. the texans just converted to a 3-4 defense for christ sakes lol

I guess your going to have to find out the hard way....Oh .....and please throw to MWs side all night.

And if you think the Jets let us sack there QB seven times,and the saints four times,preseason or not,your nuts!!!Last time I checked your D line wasn't all that.

And It's for sure,well below the previous teams mentioned as far as skill goes.On top of that we ran Vanilla D through out the preseason.

Your best hope is to run it up the middle...if you cant do that ,your screwed!!!!!!!!

And if you think the Jets let us sack there QB seven times,and the saints four times,preseason or not,your nuts!!!Last time I checked your D line wasn't all that.

I think you're forgetting about our 2 pro bowl starting DEs...and Drake Nevis is about to be a monster.