Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

More of a surprise?

ColtFan12

Although Luck didn't have a great day throwing the ball, he still came up big in the 4th quarter to get the win. But there was something us that surprised me in that game and it was the Colts defense. The defense held Chris Johnson to only 44 yards rushing and his longest was 8 yards. And the Colts defense had to interceptions in the game and sacked Jake Locker a few times. I have seen defenses in the past like this with other teams, but not with the Colts. Is this a sign that our defense is getting better, or was it a fluke because we were playing the Titans?

I don't want to say it was a fluke, but playing the Titans didn't hurt anything either. That said, the defense made some great adjustments in the second half after getting burned in the 1st half on a couple of long pass plays. In fact, the only reason the Titans scored at all in the 2nd half was thanks to the refs extending the drive twice with two very suspect calls. The defense definitely came up huge, and both INTs, especially Vaughn's, were game changers. Hope the D can carry its momentum from the second half of this game into Houston next week.

Although Luck didn't have a great day throwing the ball, he still came up big in the 4th quarter to get the win. But there was something us that surprised me in that game and it was the Colts defense. The defense held Chris Johnson to only 44 yards rushing and his longest was 8 yards. And the Colts defense had to interceptions in the game and sacked Jake Locker a few times. I have seen defenses in the past like this with other teams, but not with the Colts. Is this a sign that our defense is getting better, or was it a fluke because we were playing the Titans?

The defense has been better than what they've been credited for. In their wins they've pretty much limited teams to 20 points or less with the exception pf Green Bay and Detroit. They've been indirectly accountable for the continuous offensive turnovers and that's made their points given up look skewed.

The times that the point totals have gotten out of hand is the same games where the offense has turned the ball over way too much.

Chicago - 41 points 5 turnovers

Jets - 35 points 4 turnovers

Patriots - 59 points 4 turnovers

Detroit - 33 points 3 turnovers

By no means is this defense dominating but they've held their own, but have also been hung out to dry too much by the offense. Anytime you are giving an offense 3-5 extra possessions a game especially on short fields, which have happened a couple times, points are going to be accumulated.

6 teams to 20 points or less. 22 given up to Jax which was the defenses fault for the blown coverage, and 23 yesterday in which the defense gave up 16.

Once the offense can get the turnovers down this defense is good enough to keep teams limited enough for the offense to come through. The playoffs are going to be very interesting.