Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The Colts OL is Ranked.....

NewColtsFan

.... 28th overall.

In an Insiders story on ESPN.com... the website has a write-up from Pro Football Focus....

They ranked all 32 teams. San Francisco is 1st overall.

The Colts are 28th.... They are 30th in Pass Blocking, 27th in Run Blocking, and 8th in Penalties...

(Interesting as I would've guessed we're a better pass blocking team than run blocking)

We're ahead of only Carolina, J'Ville, Chicago and Arizona is last.

I can't link it.... but this is the heart of the story for Colts fans....

See you tomorrow....

(Interesting as I would've guessed we're a better pass blocking team than run blocking)

A lot of that has to do with Arians passing scheme. Honestly, if Luck wasn't so mobile, the Colts would be a horrible sight. Someone needs to whisper into BA ear that it is nothing wrong with the short pass. Part of the reason the WCO is used is to mask an O-Line; get the ball out of there quick. It's also why Luck takes a hit on efficiency. A lot of mistakes would be eliminated if a check down was incorporated.

Inspite of low rankings still we have an 8-4 record, and we are in serious playoffs consideration. I think this is so, because we can make key plays on both side of ball if it is needed (see last week). D can step up and make 3rd&outs if needed, and Luck making big plays to turn around games (he has 6 game winning drives or so). That is a good base, but we musn't believe it is right that way. If we can improve our offensive and defensive performance, we will be able to race for SB.

As we have problems on CB spot, we are weaker in pass-protection, wuss rush alone that we have now isn't enough, without decent CB performance. Vontae Davis shall step up and show why was evaluated such high.

.... 28th overall.

In an Insiders story on ESPN.com... the website has a write-up from Pro Football Focus....

The Colts are 28th.... They are 30th in Pass Blocking, 27th in Run Blocking, and 8th in Penalties...

See you tomorrow....

But, this cannot be! All the other teams posters have told me our O line was much better than the Redskins, and our new rookie WR's better than Garçon, Collie, Clark, and Tamme? Oh dear...

But, this cannot be! All the other teams posters have told me our O line was much better than the Redskins,

Actually, the key thing that separates the Colts from the Redskins is the offense ran. The Redskins are better on paper than they are in the game because a combination of running the WCO (quick passes) and zone blocking with a back who can hit the hole. The Colts might have a better O line but because of how long it takes for pass plays to develop under Arians scheme, the world may never know..lol

Actually, the key thing that separates the Colts from the Redskins is the offense ran. The Redskins are better on paper than they are in the game because a combination of running the WCO (quick passes) and zone blocking with a back who can hit the hole. The Colts might have a better O line but because of how long it takes for pass plays to develop under Arians scheme, the world may never know..lol

Good luck getting people to understand this...

A lot of that has to do with Arians passing scheme. Honestly, if Luck wasn't so mobile, the Colts would be a horrible sight. Someone needs to whisper into BA ear that it is nothing wrong with the short pass. Part of the reason the WCO is used is to mask an O-Line; get the ball out of there quick. It's also why Luck takes a hit on efficiency. A lot of mistakes would be eliminated if a check down was incorporated.

I actually think Arians is beginning to mix it in more now, especially as teams begin to gameplan for the vertical attack we have already successfully employed. One, you have to remember, rookies make mistakes, and we have a lot of rookies at skill positions on offense. WCO requires long efficient drives. Rookie mistakes can kill long efficient drives. But I agree a better balance, especially as the rooks should know better by now, will help very much.

I would almost buy this. except the people/or talent on the o line is similar to what Peyton has had the last few years he played here. And even lightning decision, quick draw Peyton was pressured and hurried. And I'd like to see if skins O line can pass block better than us on a greater % of vertical routes like we run, to agree. Because, they might still be better.

Rankings are dumb. What matters is wins. Right now, the Colts are winning. Their ranking in the NFL is much better than 28th.

Generally speaking, this is true. But, in reality, our offensive line is... well... offensive.

I think Castanzo appears to be turning into a solid LT. But our interior is a complete hodge-podge of whatever Grigson could find/salvage/keep. I dunno that Justice has been doing too terribly, but I would like to think all positions could stand an upgrade, though I think with time Castanzo could be a good one, so he might be alright.

I'd like to see some FA acquisitions in the off season. Not the $55 million dollar Nicks type of signing either. Just a solid guy who would be an improvement over our current group. We also seem to have some young guys who have the potential to improve and replace some of our current starters (Shipley maybe).

I dunno, we're not doing great, but, we're also in the first year of our offense. Lines take a while to develop. I just hope we can improve year after year, and be somewhere in the middle of the pack there. If Luck is doing this well with hodge-podge, just imagine what he'd do with an average o-line.

I would almost buy this. except the people/or talent on the o line is similar to what Peyton has had the last few years he played here. And even lightning decision, quick draw Peyton was pressured and hurried. And I'd like to see if skins O line can pass block better than us on a greater % of vertical routes like we run, to agree. Because, they might still be better.

But that was the beauty of Peyton. He would usually check out of the play once he sees the defense. Even though he was facing pressure, he got the ball out because his game wasn't the long throws. It was the short throws to open up the long passes.

And I'm not saying that Luck can't do that but for majority of the game, he is being a good rookie, taking the plays he is given, until he runs the 2 minute drill and that's when Luck shines.

I agree with this. I'd also like to add that I think the perception that we can't run the ball at all is amplified because Arians simply doesn't have any desire to. We give up on establishing a legit run threat way too soon in games, IMO

But that was the beauty of Peyton. He would usually check out of the play one he sees the defense. Even though he was facing pressure, he got the ball out because his game wasn't the long throws. It was the short throws to open up the long passes.

And I'm not saying that Luck can't do that but for majority of the game, he is being a good rookie, taking the plays he is given, until he runs the 2 minute drill and that's when Luck shines.

Agreed. in truth, I really think Luck can run the no huddle very very well. Arians calls in a play or two based on gameplan and flow of that plan in the game for down and distance, Luck surveys alignments, then calls one of those plays or changes off and they go. Two issues (that Peyton mastered). Being in a play that looks like it will work, the D changes last second and you're stuck snapping into a (now) bad play. The other, maybe any of the other 4 rookies at skill positions on offense doesn't know all the plays/or signals to plays and/or they make mistakes on their assignments, even including the rookie QB. It is incredible to me the amount of solid production from all these rookies and how well the team has persevered over all the typical and expected mistakes rookies make.

As far as the hurry up, Luck is awesome. I have a similar feeling being within a score or two with Luck much as I did with Peyton. Why? He has practiced the quick strike vertical game (by doing it in games) and now dictates it hurry up so no D rotation and take advantage of the mismatches.

Others may take exception to this opinion of mine, and that's fine, but I kind of like the way Arians is developing Luck. I feel that there is a zany professor method to his madness that will quickly develop essential skill to be an elite QB in this league. He just has to survive the 'initiation' event. Lucks numbers are in a zone that I'm not worried short term, and very excited long term. Here's hoping our rooks are pumped and prepared to get the wins needed to make the playoffs!!

I know this has been discussed in other threads, but I think some people are overblowing the playcalling from BA. Do his playcalls contribute to the sack total or pressure Luck faces? Yes, of course. And he should call more shorter passes, I agree with that. That said, this O-line is terrible, and to think otherwise is crazy. I agree that Castanzo shows signs that he could be good at times, but otherwise this line has no long term solutions on it. Grigson needs to get a couple of studs on the OL in the offseason, whether it be a high draft choice or through FA, and I believe this will help Luck's turnovers and the running game both next year even before any improvement is done individually by Luck and the RBs.

Well when a play takes 6 seconds due to our "Air Raid Offense" of course the oline would suck. With the line we have, you have to put quick passes in to effect. I'm surprised Luck is still walking around healthy. Well.... aside from the Knee thing that keeps popping up on the Injury Report

Well when a play takes 6 seconds due to our "Air Raid Offense" of course the oline would suck. With the line we have, you have to put quick passes in to effect. I'm surprised Luck is still walking around healthy. Well.... aside from the Knee thing that keeps popping up on the Injury Report

On almost every play the pocket is collapsing around Luck. It doesn't matter what play is being called, Luck is generally under pressure. I only saw snippets of the game last night, but many times Peyton was sitting back in the pocket by himself. He was unpressured because of his line, not because he was getting the ball off in one second. Admittedly I did not see the entire game, but on the plays I did see, I found myself envious of that kind of pocket. If Luck had that, then I think he would have far less INTs this year than he does. But it is what it is, and at the end of the day we are still 8-4 and I am happy with the season.

On almost every play the pocket is collapsing around Luck. It doesn't matter what play is being called, Luck is generally under pressure. I only saw snippets of the game last night, but many times Peyton was sitting back in the pocket by himself. He was unpressured because of his line, not because he was getting the ball off in one second. Admittedly I did not see the entire game, but on the plays I did see, I found myself envious of that kind of pocket. If Luck had that, then I think he would have far less INTs this year than he does. But it is what it is, and at the end of the day we are still 8-4 and I am happy with the season.

I'm happy with it to. And I know Peyton had all day. I was in Chat on here and watching. I made a comment that Peyton should let Andrew borrow his Oline

I know this has been discussed in other threads, but I think some people are overblowing the playcalling from BA. Do his playcalls contribute to the sack total or pressure Luck faces? Yes, of course. And he should call more shorter passes, I agree with that. That said, this O-line is terrible, and to think otherwise is crazy. I agree that Castanzo shows signs that he could be good at times, but otherwise this line has no long term solutions on it. Grigson needs to get a couple of studs on the OL in the offseason, whether it be a high draft choice or through FA, and I believe this will help Luck's turnovers and the running game both next year even before any improvement is done individually by Luck and the RBs.

Completely agree.

OL was the area we could least afford injuries this year. However, we lost Ijalana in the pre-season, and had horrible luck with Justice, Stale, and Reitz being gone much of the first half of the season. We had McGlynn flopping at center, Trai Essex coming in as a street FA and starting after 8 days, Seth Olsen starting at LG, and Linkenbach starting at RT. It's a wonder we're not ranked 32. Really, we need to bring in two solid starters next year, replace Satele with Shipley, and we'll have a much more effective line.

lol Air Raid Offense. I like that.

Redskins fans call our offense the "Pistol Whip" Offense.

.... 28th overall.

See you tomorrow....

That's about right, unfortunately..Nothing we can do until the draft

Ranking units is a hard task to do. We could have the best 4 guys in the league, but the fifth can be terrible. Thus bringing the unit down as a whole.

New England and Green Bay were the "bottom of the pack" defense last season. Although I'm sure the Jags, Rams, Colts, Vikings, or another bottom tier team would have loved that on their side.

Were the Giants the "best" team last year? Probably not, but their Lombardi says otherwise.

It's hard to rank units.

I did watch the game last night and the MAJOR difference between what they did and what the Colts do is that they didn't give up on the run. Moreno ended up with over 30 carries and averaged 3.5 yards. They never gave up on the run and kept that Raiders defense guessing. Manning also plays the short game very well which also sets up his longer plays. Keeping a defense on its heels can help an O-line out tremendously.

In this offense there is nothing to guess at. Its the same thing over and over. Arians never sticks with the run when it is working let alone sticking with it when it isn't. You have to give the defense a different variation other than continuous shots down field. Arians is known for his sporadic play calling and doesn't run set plays to help set up others. Play action DOES NOT WORK when you haven't even attempted a running play which Arians some how believes does. By no means am I saying this O-line is great but the play calling and scheme completely hang the O-line AND Luck out to dry way to often and the instant perception is "Our O-line SUCKS".

I did watch the game last night and the MAJOR difference between what they did and what the Colts do is that they didn't give up on the run. Moreno ended up with over 30 carries and averaged 3.5 yards. They never gave up on the run and kept that Raiders defense guessing. Manning also plays the short game very well which also sets up his longer plays. Keeping a defense on its heels can help an O-line out tremendously.

In this offense there is nothing to guess at. Its the same thing over and over. Arians never sticks with the run when it is working let alone sticking with it when it isn't. You have to give the defense a different variation other than continuous shots down field. Arians is known for his sporadic play calling and doesn't run set plays to help set up others. Play action DOES NOT WORK when you haven't even attempted a running play which Arians some how believes does. By no means am I saying this O-line is great but the play calling and scheme completely hang the O-line AND Luck out to dry way to often and the instant perception is "Our O-line SUCKS".

I do agree with you that I would like us to use shorter passes more often and to also use the running game a little more than we are. But I also understand BA's frustration when/if he has Ballard or Brown run the ball once or twice and each run only gets 1-2 yards and we are stuck in a 3rd and 7 and seemingly have wasted two plays. I do agree with you though that it does help keep the opposing defense honest if nothing else.

But on the other hand, when we ran the ball against Detroit, we literally had negative yardage after 5-6 running plays in the game. So here is where I quote what you quoted, yes, "our O-line sucks," because it does. It really is that bad. When you have run the ball multiple times and have negative yardage, that is not the RBs' fault. And while I admit the O-line has not been quite that bad for most of the season, it hasn't been that much better either. Luck's mobility and his ability to throw on the run are what has saved this season. And as I said, I agree, more shorter passes would be nice. I agree with you. But all in all, the O-line is the primary problem, not BA's playcalling. Major upgrades are needed in the offseason.