Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Playoffs!

OLD FAN MAN

He asked 'can' not 'will'. Anything is possible and obviously it would be very hard to do without #18. But I like to look at the positives, like this is a chance for the team to change the identity a little, more power less finesse. A chance for the O line to gel without getting 18 killed. And a chance to shut up all the people who say they're Manning and 52 mediocre players.

And if the power game develops, can you imagine what Peyton could do when he gets back?

I don't know if any of that will actually happen but as long as they play hard, and not give up like last year, I'll be happy.

I wasn't being literal. He led the Giants, Panthers, and Titans (all power run first teams) to the playoffs.

Again, I'm not saying he will, but he surely can.

Oh ok then i thought you was for a minute, we will see what the old man got in his tank.. I hope we all can remember what the saints did to farve in the saints playoff game he got demolished... Hopefully that doesnt happen to collins or else i can see him throwing alot of Pics and he aint scared to do that either.

Guest BlueShoe

Can we make the playoffs with collins if he plays all season?

Anything is possible, but when any team loses a 4 time league MVP (Most in history) then it drastically hurts our chances.

Anything is possible, but when any team loses a 4 time league MVP (Most in history) then it drastically hurts our chances.

Even without Peyton, I still believe we're better than the Titans and Jags.

I'm sticking my word, that the Texans are our biggest threat. Divisional games are usually close in the AFC South, but a Kerry Collin's lead Titan's broke our streak of winning the division in 2008.

Can we make the playoffs with collins if he plays all season?

Can we sure...last time I check we haven't been elimanted yet.

With that said I think it's going to depend on what the division does. It looks like the Jags are committing to a bit of rebuilding (if only a year or two). I think the Ttians are already there although if Matt Hasselbeck plays well don't sleep on the Titans. That leaves the Texans and while everything is set up for it to be their year in the AFC South we saw them in this exact same spot last year and after a 4-2 start they went 2-8 the rest of the way. Our division is full of teams that just can't get out of their own way. Frankly I think that's because the culture in Houston and Jacksonville is that of well losing. I think the Titans had a winning culture but I think that was Fisher and it'll be intersting to see if that team plays above their talent level like they would for Fisher. If the Texans do what they have done the past two years and struggle we could be the AFC's answer to the NFC west and it might not take a great record to win our division.

Also I think it's going to take winning the division to get in. I don't think we are going to win enough games to win a wild card spot against Pitt/Balt or NE/NYJ baring a major injury. Even then I would favor the wild card coming out of the AFC West between KC and SD before I would pick the AFC South.

Buckle up kids, it's going to be a bumpy ride.

I haven't read any concerns on this forum yet about Collin's ability to stay healthy if Manning is out for a considerable length, which I forecast to be the reality here. Manning ain't coming back till the ground is frozen, and what if Collin's gets hurt?

Can the Colts make the Playoffs without Manning? Yea, sure. Will we? Probably not. Without Manning this is just another motley crew. I will cheer and hope and throw things at my dog in frustration after a loss, just like a proper Colts fan should do. BUT, I don't expect anything more than a below average performance.

Set aside your fandom and homerish hat, be honest, is there one singular aspect of this team that truly gives you reason to believe? Or do we do like the religious zealots and hold fast to faith in something that we cannot see? If our running game was ruled as average it would be a monumental step up from years past. Our defense is a mirage. Comprised of random acquisitions that were hurriedly assembled as the news of Manning's recovery went sour, we are about to get a preview of post-Manning Colts.

There is nothing about this team that says "champions". Nothing.

I have to ask....has anyone considered that Manning's great career might end with a sad whimper on the heels of a surgery that incapacitated the GOAT? Will the future remarks be "he was never the same after the surgery"?

I am not a pessimist, nor have I cast the season as a loss. I am just asking the hard questions that have to be seeded deep in all our minds. Did we just pay $90 million for a legend about to fizzle?

Of course not. That cannot happen. Peyton isn't human. He doesn't age. He doesn't break. His mind cannot be divided by family. He is not susceptible to a breakdown. After all, he is a computer. right? Laser rocket arm psychic psychotic android? The commercials said so. The media says so. The reality is that Peyton cannot just implode, right? John Gruden had his lips surgically attached to Manning's backside, Gruden knows what I mean. Manning isn't a man, he's a demigod, a deity among us.

Guest BlueShoe

Even without Peyton, I still believe we're better than the Titans and Jags.

I'm sticking my word, that the Texans are our biggest threat. Divisional games are usually close in the AFC South, but a Kerry Collin's lead Titan's broke our streak of winning the division in 2008.

We had trouble with the Jags every year without Peyton.

I wish I could feel the same.

I will be rooting, and hoping, and cussing, and screaming the whole way; but without Peyton we're screwed.

Guest BlueShoe

Set aside your fandom and homerish hat, be honest, is there one singular aspect of this team that truly gives you reason to believe?

Good luck with that. I have said in several posts that we are in serious trouble and they're pretty close to stringing me up in the circle at high noon.

Good luck with that. I have said in several posts that we are in serious trouble and they're pretty close to stringing me up in the circle at high noon.

I think it's best that folks do lower their expectations and cease with the pathetic attempts at pumping themselves up so hard. We are in trouble, this is a mess and there is no other reasonable way to describe the events of the last month than simply to say we're in trouble.

When Houston creams us by 20+ points people are going to start freaking out and gettin all emo up in here. I'm gonna do what I did when the Colts were bottom feeders, long before Harbaugh came to town. I'm going to hope they win, I'm going to cheer for them to win, but I'm not going to go into many of these games with even a thought that we can win. This mentality prevents fan frustration and the inevitable flock of "fans" that stop watching games and cease with wearing their gear as they are ashamed to be mocked in public for sporting a losing teams gears.

Heck, not me. I'll wear a blue ten gallon hat with a horseshoe on it, while I go to Great Clips to get a hair cut and Ima refuse to take it off. After being asked to leave, I will turn around at the door, raise both arms and shout "3-13 WOOOOO HOOOOO".

Cuz that's how I roll.

Buckle up kids, it's going to be a bumpy ride.

I haven't read any concerns on this forum yet about Collin's ability to stay healthy if Manning is out for a considerable length, which I forecast to be the reality here. Manning ain't coming back till the ground is frozen, and what if Collin's gets hurt?

Can the Colts make the Playoffs without Manning? Yea, sure. Will we? Probably not. Without Manning this is just another motley crew. I will cheer and hope and throw things at my dog in frustration after a loss, just like a proper Colts fan should do. BUT, I don't expect anything more than a below average performance.

Set aside your fandom and homerish hat, be honest, is there one singular aspect of this team that truly gives you reason to believe? Or do we do like the religious zealots and hold fast to faith in something that we cannot see? If our running game was ruled as average it would be a monumental step up from years past. Our defense is a mirage. Comprised of random acquisitions that were hurriedly assembled as the news of Manning's recovery went sour, we are about to get a preview of post-Manning Colts.

There is nothing about this team that says "champions". Nothing.

I have to ask....has anyone considered that Manning's great career might end with a sad whimper on the heels of a surgery that incapacitated the GOAT? Will the future remarks be "he was never the same after the surgery"?

I am not a pessimist, nor have I cast the season as a loss. I am just asking the hard questions that have to be seeded deep in all our minds. Did we just pay $90 million for a legend about to fizzle?

Of course not. That cannot happen. Peyton isn't human. He doesn't age. He doesn't break. His mind cannot be divided by family. He is not susceptible to a breakdown. After all, he is a computer. right? Laser rocket arm psychic psychotic android? The commercials said so. The media says so. The reality is that Peyton cannot just implode, right? John Gruden had his lips surgically attached to Manning's backside, Gruden knows what I mean. Manning isn't a man, he's a demigod, a deity among us.

I don't understand this, so your saying he's half human & half android???? Bingo, that's what I always thought, he was sent back in time to protect the Colts organization. His mission parameters must be to stop the resistance against the Colts with any means necessary? His CPU is a neuro-net processor, (a learning computer) with an exo skeleton made of human organic tissue!!! I'm sure he will be at the game pending on traffic conditions awaiting, watching and ready to stalk his prey again, maybe, just maybe.

The playoffs are a possiblilty. Remember all the Colts can do is win the most they can win. If Peyton does not quarterback all year, the worst the Colts can be is 7-9 with no other injuries. They could just as well be 9-7. I actually believe the best the Texans can be is 10-6. Jacksonville and Tennessee are not in the equation. How many times have we seen people step-up in the face of adversity? GO COLTS!!!!

Let me just say I do not believe Manning will miss more than a few games, but with that being said. I think Indy fans are way too hung up on offense and if Collins can win here. The defense is what needs to step up, not Collins or the offense. I said it before and I'll say it again, I am way more worried about our defense being able to step up and stop the passing game. This is probably the 1st yr. in a long time where im more worried about that than I am the run defense. Collins will be fine, he's no Manning, but he will be able to manage the game. The defense is what people should be worried about, if we can get a good defensive effort week in and week out we will have a chance to beat anybody.

I think it's best that folks do lower their expectations and cease with the pathetic attempts at pumping themselves up so hard. We are in trouble, this is a mess and there is no other reasonable way to describe the events of the last month than simply to say we're in trouble.

When Houston creams us by 20+ points people are going to start freaking out and gettin all emo up in here. I'm gonna do what I did when the Colts were bottom feeders, long before Harbaugh came to town. I'm going to hope they win, I'm going to cheer for them to win, but I'm not going to go into many of these games with even a thought that we can win. This mentality prevents fan frustration and the inevitable flock of "fans" that stop watching games and cease with wearing their gear as they are ashamed to be mocked in public for sporting a losing teams gears.

Heck, not me. I'll wear a blue ten gallon hat with a horseshoe on it, while I go to Great Clips to get a hair cut and Ima refuse to take it off. After being asked to leave, I will turn around at the door, raise both arms and shout "3-13 WOOOOO HOOOOO".

Cuz that's how I roll.

That is is being a pessimist, yea you plan for the worse but you play to win and the colts still very much have the peices to do that. Go ahead crown the texans hide come sunday they will not be wearing it cause the colts WILL win.... i think ppl get like mental farts when they think of manning he's still a QB and he's still human his job is to throw the ball to the open receiver and he's not the only one that can do that. Ppl will be surprised to see how efficient collins is not great but efficient, he has an arm and he knows where to go with the ball and with a good run game the colts can have a great season despite the circumstances.

Let me just say I do not believe Manning will miss more than a few games, but with that being said. I think Indy fans are way too hung up on offense and if Collins can win here. The defense is what needs to step up, not Collins or the offense. I said it before and I'll say it again, I am way more worried about our defense being able to step up and stop the passing game. This is probably the 1st yr. in a long time where im more worried about that than I am the run defense. Collins will be fine, he's no Manning, but he will be able to manage the game. The defense is what people should be worried about, if we can get a good defensive effort week in and week out we will have a chance to beat anybody.

Think about what you just said.

You're worried about our defense, but not our Manning-less offense. I got bad news for you....Manning ain't comin back for awhile. A WHILE. I agree that our defense is a source of great concern. No Manning, a newly unretired 64 year old QB with Painter as a back up and an offense that only knows Peyton.

I'd like to quote the little kid from A Christmas Story "Ohhhhhh fuuuuuuudge"

Think about what you just said.

You're worried about our defense, but not our Manning-less offense. I got bad news for you....Manning ain't comin back for awhile. A WHILE. I agree that our defense is a source of great concern. No Manning, a newly unretired 64 year old QB with Painter as a back up and an offense that only knows Peyton.

I'd like to quote the little kid from A Christmas Story "Ohhhhhh fuuuuuuudge"

I have thought about it. Being without Manning sucks, there's no denying that, but people act as if Collins has been out of football for 5 yrs. and he's 57 yrs. old. He's only 3 yrs. older than Manning and he's only been retired for the summer. He hasn't missed one play due to being retired. There are teams that win every yr. with a good defense and a game manager at QB(Steelers). I know we don't have the Steelers defense by any stretch of the imagination, but if they can just give their best effort week in and week out, then yes, I think we can stay in decent shape till Manning gets back. If he don't come back this yr. then we just roll with the punches and move on.

If Peyton does not play it all hinges on the run game and the defense. Collins is not good enough anymore to carry a team to the playoffs. The defense and running game will have to step up big time and become the dominate aspect of this team.

If our running game is like it was last year we are not going to the playoffs. Collins will not be able to drop back 500+ times a game and consistently win like Manning did.

We will have to run the ball, Collins not make mistakes, and have a defense that gets three and outs on a consistent basis if we hope to win.

Also, the coaching staff will have to develop the offense around Collins and not try to fit Collins into he system that is there for Manning.

If Manning is done for the year I think we can make it, but we are going to need a little help from the Texans. They just need to do what they do every year and come out strong in week one and then crash and burn. I only see one team making it out of the AFC South.

I wasn't being literal. He led the Giants, Panthers, and Titans (all power run first teams) to the playoffs.

Again, I'm not saying he will, but he surely can.

Those were power running teams (which we are definitely not equipped to be, no matter the philosophy), who also had league-leading defenses. While ours will be improved, imo, we still will face a lot of challenges.

Jim Irsay

PLEASE CALL David Garrard's AGENT AND CUT COLLINS!!!!!!!!!

This whole Manning thing is actually quite depressing. I feel nauseous. We saw Manning's other half disappear in a puff of smoke (Harrison) just a few years ago, and now the very real possibility that we're going to endure the same unceremonious exit for another Colts legend and HoF'er.

I get the distinct feeling that many people aren't really taking this very seriously. Lets change the name of the White river to Denial River, because denial ain't just a river in Egypt.