Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Bengals Qb Better Peyton Manning Replacement Than Kerry Collins

bayone

It would be a coup for Indy to grab Palmer to start in Manning's stead, it would be an amazing opportunity for Palmer to rebuild his reputation

a trade would also be needed to acquire him

Its a bleacher Report article

My link

Do you remember that article way back when about Palmer and Chad Johnson coming to watch the Colts play to learn more about the interplay between Peyton and Marvin? At the time he seemed like he was about to become a perennial all-pro. Now he just seems like a head-case.

While I consider him to be far more talented than Collins, there is just something wrong there. I wouldn't want the Colts giving up picks and destroying their salary cap for him. Way too big of a gamble.

More absurd speculation. Palmer demanded to be traded and Brown said, "NO!" Palmer is retired and unless Brown changes his mind, Palmer will stay retired.

Palmer actually holds all the cards right now, if he reports and is on the roster for week 1 he is guaranteed a big payday. So if he reports to camp then he either has to be cut or paid.

As to the topic though, I wouldn't mind seeing what he could do but I wouldn't want to give up anything of real value for him.

I won't disagree. I think Palmer could be more beneficial to us than Collins. But it's not going to happen for a few reasons:

First and foremost, we can't afford it in any way. We don't have the cap space it would take to sign him, and we certainly don't have the cap space to trade for him, and we don't want to give up players or draft picks for him, either.

It's unknown whether he'd want to be a backup. He'd really rather be a starter. Obviously he would here, but not for long. He might not be down with that.

I don't see us signing him as a FA and immediately starting him unless our backs are up against the wall. If Collins sustains a season ending injury while we need him, I'd say we'll start Painter and sign a dummy QB to stand around and do nothing.

Were it an option that had been available to us, yes, absolutely. Unfortunately, it was not.

It would be a coup for Indy to grab Palmer to start in Manning's stead, it would be an amazing opportunity for Palmer to rebuild his reputation

a trade would also be needed to acquire him

Its a bleacher Report article

My link

collins will win games for us, why would we want anyone trying to rebuild their reputation? collins is good wait and see.he is one of the best.

Do you remember that article way back when about Palmer and Chad Johnson coming to watch the Colts play to learn more about the interplay between Peyton and Marvin? At the time he seemed like he was about to become a perennial all-pro. Now he just seems like a head-case.

While I consider him to be far more talented than Collins, there is just something wrong there. I wouldn't want the Colts giving up picks and destroying their salary cap for him. Way too big of a gamble.

I don't think he's a head case.

He is just sick of having NO CHANCE working for the worst NFL organization in the league.

No disrespect for the players on the team but the Bengals organization itself is a head case.

I don't think he's a head case.

He is just sick of having NO CHANCE working for the worst NFL organization in the league.

No disrespect for the players on the team but the Bengals organization itself is a head case.

This. I don't think we really have any idea just how bad the Bengals as an organization are. paul brown is bad on an al davis or dan snyder level, he just drafts better players and doesn't get openly knocked like they do. People think Polian is the devil and caldwell is his puppet, but paul brown would make Bill Polian downright saintly, and Marvin lewis would make jim caldwell look like a headstrong, well spoken leader of men and gods alike.

Marvin Lewis is a pushover who gets bullied in his own locker room, and paul brown wants to use as little cap as he can from year to year to further line his own pockets, and he really, when it gets right down to it, doesn't care if they win or lose as long as the greenbacks roll in.

I don't know if I agree that is a better option. Why are so many so quick to discount Collins? I think he is # 2 active passer right behind Manning and has been to a Super Bowl. Have you watched Carson Palmer play lately?

My fear of Collins is not his arm, he can pass, its really whats around him gfiving him time enough to throw . We are fielding an OL with 2 h guys on the left that never played an nfl game and on the right link started 4 but not at RT

Collins is not peyton with a quick throw but has a long windup that caused twice his arm to get hit in his only appearance. The wind up may be a serious issue , it may not , we will have to wait and see as Cast learns more as he did ride his man wide but the DE had long arms and Collins arm was there for waiting to be hit from said windup

On the titans he had good protection and time and all keyed on CJ running, not really looking for Collins to beat them,

we lets face it, don't have that run game

My fear of Collins is not his arm, he can pass, its really whats around him gfiving him time enough to throw . We are fielding an OL with 2 h guys on the left that never played an nfl game and on the right link started 4 but not at RT

Collins is not peyton with a quick throw but has a long windup that caused twice his arm to get hit in his only appearance. The wind up may be a serious issue , it may not , we will have to wait and see as Cast learns more as he did ride his man wide but the DE had long arms and Collins arm was there for waiting to be hit from said windup

On the titans he had good protection and time and all keyed on CJ running, not really looking for Collins to beat them,

we lets face it, don't have that run game

I agree.

My fear is Collins will look slow.

Manning gets rid of the ball FAST. Collins is likely to get killed behind this line.

Remember Mark Rypien?

I agree.

My fear is Collins will look slow.

Manning gets rid of the ball FAST. Collins is likely to get killed behind this line.

Remember Mark Rypien?

Maybe we will have more of a running game this year with all the new additions to take pressure off of Collins somewhat.

I had not seen that, but I am not at all surprised.

And Carson Palmer has always come off as a hard working straight man, but it seems he would be literally the only one amongst the entire organization. Totally understandable why he wants out.

I would love Palmer but I don't think 1, we can get his contract under the cap. 2, he would want to come here to be a back up. 3, the Bengals would trade him in the first place, 4, the big knock on Collins is the lack of time in the system, well Palmer would have even less.

Yep. I would have liked to have seen us somehow get him over Collins in the pre-season, though.

I had not seen that, but I am not at all surprised.

And Carson Palmer has always come off as a hard working straight man, but it seems he would be literally the only one amongst the entire organization. Totally understandable why he wants out.

Kinda puts a different perspective on Chad tweeting about wanting to fight Marvin Lewis this off-season now doesn't it?

I love Palmer and I feel that had he gone to a better organization, he'd be a great QB.

I used to hate Palmer but that was more because at the time (2005) I saw him as a mirror image of Peyton Manning (that season they practically were, statistically) and at the time they looked like they had the core pieces to be good for years to come - that 2005 Bengal team was great offensively - their O-line that year was the best of Palmer's career, his receivers were in their prime (the late Chris Henry was emerging),

Plus Palmer used to rub me as being overly cocky / arrogant ..I remember him saying stuff like how the Steelers weren't the better team and in fact, I recall he even had something to say when he lost to us in 2005 during that great shootout. Then there was another game against us where during the week leading up he claimed that our D was "invisible" last time we played and how he was looking forward to playing us and our players (particularly the D-line) used it as bulletin board material during that week (picture of them holding a newspaper quoting Palmer) ..they subsequently massacred him.

Now I like the guy for some reason, and respect the heck out of him even more by making good on his threat to retire and walk away from millions of money and what would be many people's dream no matter what team they played for. I also heard he got a business degree at Harvard Business too.