Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

We officially have a problem, Colts fans. 6 alcohol related arrests in a year

bayone

For those of you keeping score, this is the fifth alcohol-related arrest for the Colts in one year (sixth if you count Javarris James' weed bust last month). Since August of 2010,John Gill, Fili Moala, Pat McAfee, Taj Smith, and now Hughes were all busted for drinking and then doing stupid things after the drinking.

Granted, the lockout makes it impossible for teams to monitor and track players when they are out on the town, especially when that town isn't Indianapolis. Still, one of the things the Colts sell to the fanbase is they only bring in 'high character' players who fit into the culture. The last year has pretty much shot that selling point to pieces, and calls into question whether or not the Colts truly value 'character' anymore.

the Colts never had a string of arrests like this under Tony Dungy's or Jim Mora's watches as head coach. Jim Caldwell apparently runs a looser ship, and he better be careful because if that looser ship produces fewer wins, 2011 will be Caldwell's last as a head coach in the NFL.

My link

Stop with the high character guys crap. Stop sitting on mount pious. Just because someone does something stupid while drinking does not magically make them a bad guy. From everything I have heard Pat is a nice guy.

There were incidents under Dungy as well. Dom Rhodes is a name that comes up right away. Harper got into a dometic abuse situation with his wife under Dungy. Domestic incidents are hell of a lot worse then drinking and taking a swim. Coaches can only do so much with these guys. Now if Pat, Fili, or a few others start doing it on a regular basis then you might have an argument about it being s problem.

Stop with the high character guys crap. Stop sitting out mount pious. Just because someone does something stupid while drinking does not magically make them a bad guy. From everything I have heard Pat is a nice guy.

There were incidents under Dungy as well. Dom Rhodes is a name that comes up right away. Harper got into a dometic abuse situation with his wife under Dungy. Domestic incidents are hell of a lot worse then drinking and taking a swim. Coaches can only do so much with these guys. Now if Pat, Fili, or a few others start doing it on a regular basis then you might have an argument about it being s problem.

Agree. The notion that this is just an issue with Caldwell is simply wrong. Heck, Mike Doss got suspended for firing a gun into the air in a crowded area.

Stop with the high character guys crap. Stop sitting on mount pious. Just because someone does something stupid while drinking does not magically make them a bad guy. From everything I have heard Pat is a nice guy.

article only points out 6 in a year is more than usual for colts,

not that never happened before, Yes Pat is a nice guy, & Harper , if wife didn't stab him in leg then maybe he would have returned Bettis Fumble for a touchdown & we beat steelers when they beat us and won superbowl,

I agree....I mean the fact is a lot of people drink but, you can't be the morality police about everything. Yeah, it may look bad because of the organization they play for, and the attitude associated with it. Could've been worse though, could've been rape, murder, gun possession, drug possession, or something more decadent to tarnish the image of these player and luckily it wasn't. Put it behind and focus on the upcoming season. If these problems persist, then do something.

I'm not concerned, me thinks stampede blue is making much ado about ........well you know.

It's been a tough off season for colts football bloggers.

Actua;ly, 6 in one year is the point that stands out to me. I feel it does bear watching as players need to be held more accountable before they make dumb decisions and hopefully it will result in less situations arising such as these. I mean I am twice the age of these Colts players and when i was their age, I never had any of the issues the 6 players we are discussing did. If I can stay out of trouble, why not them? We need to stop lowering the bar and make the Colts players step up and over it. Just my .02.

I wonder how many of these would not have happened if say....they were actually going to training camp and having some structure in their life right now. I know Hughes would not have had his drinking citation if he were in Anderson getting ready for the season. Like Ray Lewis said the evel that we call CRIIIIME will escalate as the lockout progresses haha.

I'm not concerned, me thinks stampede blue is making much ado about ........well you know.

It's been a tough off season for colts football bloggers.

Well I'm not so sure. There is no smoke without fire. Individually, not quite Bengalesque, but something is in the air.

But when our (once?) great leader finds no trouble in ripping his fans to shreads on his egotistical radio show, does it surprise you the players have dropped their standards?

I agree....I mean the fact is a lot of people drink but, you can't be the morality police about everything. Yeah, it may look bad because of the organization they play for, and the attitude associated with it. Could've been worse though, could've been rape, murder, gun possession, drug possession, or something more decadent to tarnish the image of these player and luckily it wasn't. Put it behind and focus on the upcoming season. If these problems persist, then do something.

I'm sure the alcohol related issue will be addressed and accountability will be expected, a meeting on this matter will be among the first concerns once they take to camp. But, as you said, perspective is key and these legal issues are more indicative of complacency among millionaire youngsters with nothing better to do. DWI, violence and crimes involving victims are not tolerated as much as these relatively pedestrian offenses.

As well, Jerry shouldn't be exponentially punished for his teammates past transgressions. If they got a slide, he gets a slide.

I wonder how many of these would not have happened if say....they were actually going to training camp and having some structure in their life right now. I know Hughes would not have had his drinking citation if he were in Anderson getting ready for the season. Like Ray Lewis said the evel that we call CRIIIIME will escalate as the lockout progresses haha.

Yes, let's blame the greedy players and owners for this. Poor Jerry has been stitched up!

Actua;ly, 6 in one year is the point that stands out to me. I feel it does bear watching as players need to be held more accountable before they make dumb decisions and hopefully it will result in less situations arising such as these. I mean I am twice the age of these Colts players and when i was their age, I never had any of the issues the 6 players we are discussing did. If I can stay out of trouble, why not them? We need to stop lowering the bar and make the Colts players step up and over it. Just my .02.

I agree, this many arrests in one years time is a bit concerning. I know a lot of NFL players get arrested, and i know some got arrested when Dungy was here, but i can't ever remember it being to this extent.

I hear you jagged but it feels a bit nanny-state-ish to me.

Too me, other things are far more indicative of character, for example not paying child support.

Certainly DUI

You know, if finger pointing were to happen in this case...perhaps it should be directed toward the scouting and those who draft since it is mostly new kids who have been in trouble.

That is not as much on the coach's shoulders.

There has been several changes within the organization in the last few years, correct? Perhaps Chris isn't as interested in background personality as Bill is. :dunno: More likely coincidence, than anything.

At least we didn't draft Kenny Britt. ;)

And as a few others said, some of these incidents are minor and would never even be heard of if they were not 'who they are'. Other players have been in major trouble in the few seasons. :facepalm:

why do you care? i mean, they are just football players.

More than anything, I agree with Tuba and others who have said that these dudes have too much time on their hands (and too much money) this off-season. They get in with some of their old crowd that maybe they should have left behind and party for lack of a better thing to do.

They get intoxicated, either on the street (dumb) or behind the wheel (horribly stupid and much worse), and the media gets hold of it.

Again if it were any of us, no news. These things happens everyday. No, it doesn't make it right and no I am not condoning it. But at the same time, I think we demand perfection out of imperfect people too many times.

What these guys do from here will mean more about their character than the mistakes they have made.

why do you care? i mean, they are just football players.

I care because too many professional sports figures don't recognize or care that kids watch what they do and whether they like it or not, many times they are role models (good or bad) for kids. Children imitate them and their on and off field behavior because they think they are so cool.

Being a professional athlete comes with a responsibility, IMHO. That includes making things right if you mess up and proving that while no one is perfect, you don't have to let mistakes define you.

I care because too many professional sports figures don't recognize or care that kids watch what they do and whether they like it or not, many times they are role models (good or bad) for kids. Children imitate them and their on and off field behavior because they think they are so cool.

Being a professional athlete comes with a responsibility, IMHO. That includes making things right if you mess up and proving that while no one is perfect, you don't have to let mistakes define you.

These young players know the game. Not referring to the game of football, but the game of endorsements and fan perception. They are well versed by agents and others in their camp to realize what is expected of them.

Players make a decision as to whether or not they will cater to endorsements. Take "sticky" Ricky Williams for example. A great running back that quit in his prime because he wanted to smoke pot. Literally stating this outright. He came back but endorsements are going to be limited to local area used car dealerships. Here we have a player that sticks one foot in the gutter, one fist in the goal. He had his cake and ate it too. A bad bad bad example for kids whom have learned a fowl lesson. In practice, one rarely gets away with this sort of duality.

That is true...or people can look to Tiger regarding personal behavior and endorsements.

At the end of the day, whether the athletes like it or not, young people watch and imitate. Same with celebrities, reality stars, musicians, etc. Fame comes with responsibility and sadly most don't care.

Well said.

People can blow this off if they like but if it's indicative of a culture shift this could spell breakdown... especially when most of the current team is accustomed to a different way. If this is the situation, to dismiss it would be delusional at best. Playing in the league is a privilege, and when a player says "yes" by signing a contract that individual should be accountable to the level the job demands. Period. Exactly the way it is in the rest of the world....so grow up. If these guys don't like the responsibility that comes with job....quit.....and become restaurant workers or the like who may be given unspoken okay's most every day to get DUIs or toke it up in the walk-in cooler. Time will tell.

I agree that there are built in consequences.

I just keep thinking of a regular person getting called out at work for something that did not happen at work.

I realize that the NFL is different and actually I think that's a good thing.

I just wonder sometimes if we are possibly too intolerant of judgement lapses.

These young players know the game. Not referring to the game of football, but the game of endorsements and fan perception. They are well versed by agents and others in their camp to realize what is expected of them.

Players make a decision as to whether or not they will cater to endorsements. Take "sticky" Ricky Williams for example. A great running back that quit in his prime because he wanted to smoke pot. Literally stating this outright. He came back but endorsements are going to be limited to local area used car dealerships. Here we have a player that sticks one foot in the gutter, one fist in the goal. He had his cake and ate it too. A bad bad bad example for kids whom have learned a fowl lesson. In practice, one rarely gets away with this sort of duality.

I think it is a bit of an issue...but let's look at the big picture. The Bengals' Cedric Benson just got busted for caving in his roommate's face (why he needs a roommate is beyond me, is he tight on $$$???) PacMan just got arrested for the 45th time. Not that the Colts' arrests are anything to crow about, they could have been a lot worse. Getting a PI is pretty easy these days; I don't condone it, but heck a buddy of mine got one in college for walking home from the bars! He even told the cop "well I could have been driving" (probably didn't help his case..)

These guys might get a little stupid and have too much "birthday cake", but it pales in comparison to the much more violent stuff going on with other teams. 53 amped-up big dudes (and 1 punter) can be hard to control sometimes, especially when there is no oversight during this lockout

Again, not making excuses, the Colts need to tighten it down for sure. And I think this is an aberration for the most part

formerly mattbholland on the old forums

That is true...or people can look to Tiger regarding personal behavior and endorsements.

At the end of the day, whether the athletes like it or not, young people watch and imitate. Same with celebrities, reality stars, musicians, etc. Fame comes with responsibility and sadly most don't care.

oh please...kids are influenced much more by their family members, friends, and people in their community. if kids are that influenced by *s they see on tv then they probably got the short end of the stick when it came to the gene pool.

Then your statement seems quite naive if you are saying that kids aren't influenced by the "stars" they watch on TV. Many don't have a lot of people to look up to in their own community or family so they copy those they think are cool.

I never said it was a smart thing to do, but they do it. Many don't have a lot of parental or adult guidance in order to influence them otherwise.

Then your statement seems quite naive if you are saying that kids aren't influenced by the "stars" they watch on TV. Many don't have a lot of people to look up to in their own community or family so they copy those they think are cool.

I never said it was a smart thing to do, but they do it. Many don't have a lot of parental or adult guidance in order to influence them otherwise.

eo

it has been proven in study after study that it's parents, friends, etc that by far have the most influence. i think it's just easier to blame celebrities, music, violent video games, etc. i highly doubt young men thought "hey maybe rape is getting a bad rape" due to mike tyson, kobe bryan and big ben....or kids wanted to punch people because of larry bird.....and i highly doubt kids have taken up bull riding due to chad johnson.

I agree that there are built in consequences.

I just keep thinking of a regular person getting called out at work for something that did not happen at work.

I realize that the NFL is different and actually I think that's a good thing.

I just wonder sometimes if we are possibly too intolerant of judgement lapses.

Well, of course people put far too much levity to any transgressions by celebrities. The public holds them accountable at a far higher level then the average citizen. Can you imagine having to hold a press conference to apologize for getting drunk on Friday night?

it has been proven in study after study that it's parents' date=' friends, etc that by far have the most influence. i think it's just easier to blame celebrities, music, violent video games, etc.[/quote']

I think the irony here is that these issues upsets the parents more than it upsets the kids. I have a 12 year old daughter that was enamored with Miley Cyrus. She grew up on squeaky clean Hannah Montana. When Miley was seen smoking drugs through a bong and acting a fool, my daughters reaction was essentially "What a dumb***". I didn't hide it from her. I didn't pretend. I watched it with her because I know she had seen it. I explained to her that this is the kind of crap thats coming your way. This is also often step 1 to getting yourself in trouble. I pointed at how Miley was out of control of herself and highlighted how this gets you taken advantage of, especially being a girl. If you do that and pass out, your going to be sorry. If you do that and a cops sees it, how are you going to hide it? You're not, you're going to jail. Put yourself in a bad place and you will stay in that place and deal with the consequence.

It is parents that determine how instances like this are received by their kids. Therein lies the problem, Mr BLOODontheTRACKS. Some kids have scumbags as parents. Some kids have parents that hide the realities of life from them for far too long, until these problems show up at the threshold of their homes. Kids will replace absentee parents with something, that void is filled with something. Often they look up to celebrities to fill this void.

But you're right, it is far easier to blame Celebrities and video games. These things provide an easy out and often the parents that make the loudest noise about such things are also the ones who have the greatest deal of dysfunction in relation to their kids. Often, they are the ones that are most disconnected.

eo

it has been proven in study after study that it's parents, friends, etc that by far have the most influence. i think it's just easier to blame celebrities, music, violent video games, etc. i highly doubt young men thought "hey maybe rape is getting a bad rape" due to mike tyson, kobe bryan and big ben....or kids wanted to punch people because of larry bird.....and i highly doubt kids have taken up bull riding due to chad johnson.

True, parents and friends have a strong influence on kids. But celebrities/media also play a huge role. I don't think you can take out either one and claim it has no effect on a child.

True, parents and friends have a strong influence on kids. But celebrities/media also play a huge role. I don't think you can take out either one and claim it has no effect on a child.

agreed each play a part to varying extents, & a strong parental bond is though quite important and a parent needs to adress these issues

as ruksak said

All of this is exactly my point. Parents, family and friends SHOULD be the main influence on children and young adults. But sadly too many don't have a positive influence in this area and as ruksak pointed out that without such an influence, they will find someone or something to fill the void.

If that comes along as celebs on TV or sports figures, then that is who it will be and is who they will imitate. You see it every day.

Thankfully there are still young people out there like our kids who will call out those who are acting like a doofus when they see it instead of being easily influenced. However, it still can disillusion them. I know it has happened to my son with certain people he once looked up to. :( Thankfully (again), it helped to prove life lessons that no one is perfect no matter who they are.