Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Andy's Big Board 2.0

Big Board 2.0

1. Jarvis Jones – Outside Linebacker – Georgia

Fantastic edge rusher who can become a 10+ sack guy at the pro level. He’s explosive and quick which makes for a nightmare for any tackle. He needs to be double-teamed.

2. Star Lotulelei – Defensive Tackle – Utah

This guy is a star. He’s not exactly a great pass rusher, but he’s not bad. However, he’s a phenomenal run stuffer and constantly needs to be double-teamed. He was blocked by only one guy one game. That guy was the USC center who is considered to be the best in the country. He destroyed him.

3. Manti Te’o – Inside Linebacker – Notre Dame

Perhaps the best inside linebackers to come out of college in the last 5 years, Te’o is very well rounded. He gets double digits in tackles, is tied for second in the NCAA in interceptions and is an outstanding leader.

4. Damontre Moore – Defensive End – Texas A&M

One of the fastest rising players on this board, Moore is a superstar in the making. He weighs less than 250 pounds, but he’s very explosive and always gets to the QB. He reminds me of Robert Mathis and has that potential.

5. Chance Warmack – Offensive Guard – Alabama

Him and Decastro (from last year’s draft) are the two best guards I’ve evaluated in the last 10 years. If anything, I’d give the edge to Warmack. Warmack is strong, versatile and has quick feet. He’s the perfect package. He could easily be a perennial Pro Bowler.

6. Luke Joeckel – Offensive Tackle – Texas A&M

Joeckel has emerged as the best tackle in the nation. He’s done a fantastic job pass blocking for Johnny Football, but it’s his run blocking skills that really put him over the top. He’s got good technique; it’s just that he needs to work on blocking speed rushers.

7. Sylvester Williams – Defensive Tackle – North Carolina

Perhaps the most well rounded defensive tackle in the draft. Unlike Lotulelei and Hankins, he’s a great pass rusher. Although not a better run stopper, he still manages to get some run stops. He’s a very good athlete too. He's also coming off one of his best performances of the year against Virginia.

8. Bjoern Werner – Defensive End – Florida State

Werner has really risen this year. What makes him great is that he disrupts every play either by pressuring the QB or stopping the run. You can’t say that Moore is a very good run stopper. Werner can do it all and is apart of one of the top ranked defenses in the country.

9. Jonathan Hankins – Defensive Tackle – Ohio State

Hankins is a big body that is key if you’re focusing on stopping the run. He’s fantastic at stopping the run. He constantly needs to be double teamed, which is a good thing. Even when double-teamed, he still stops the run. Now, he needs to work on rushing the pass.

10. Demarcus Milliner – Cornerback – Alabama

Very physical cornerback that can play both man and zone. He has great instincts and is definitely the best cornerback in the country.

11. Barkevious Mingo – Defensive End – LSU

Mingo is getting better as the year goes on. He’s still having a less-than-spectacular season. He’s still a bit raw, but he’s very athletic and is very explosive. With good coaching and maybe adding a few pounds, he could become a force at the next level.

12. Taylor Lewan – Offensive Tackle – Michigan

Lewan is a very athletic tackle who has great length and speed. Very powerful in the running game, and is arguably the best run blocking tackle in college. As for pass blocking, his long frame is the reason why he’s so good. Lewan could still be more athletic, which is very scary.

13. Jonathan Cooper – Offensive Guard – North Carolina

Cooper has really risen this year. I projected him as a early to mid 2nd round , but now it looks like he’s going to go in the middle to late part of the 1st round. He’s powerful and quick and is a great run blocker. He moves very well, which means he could become a very good pulling guard.

14. Geno Smith – Quarterback – West Virginia

Has the size and athletic ability to become a good starter in the NFL. On top of that, he has very good vision, and good touch. What impresses me the most are his smarts. He’s patient, and even though he’s pretty fast, he likes to stay in the pocket and find the right read.

15. Dion Jordan – Defensive End – Oregon

Jordan is a big guy with a long frame, and very good athleticism. He can rush the passer very well, and be a problem in the running game (for the other team that is). His athleticism means that he could play standing up or with a hand on the ground.

16. Sam Montgomery – Defensive End – LSU

Montgomery is not as good as Mingo, but Montgomery is very strong and powerful, especially for a 245,250 pounder. He’s good in the passing game, but what makes him very good is what he does in the running game. He has a very good motor.

17. Cornelius Carradine – Defensive End – Florida State

Carradine has been great in recent weeks. He’s shown that he’s explosive in the pass rushing game, and has a good first step. He’s a tough kid with a good motor and good intangibles. Although not as good as Werner, I’d say his ceiling is higher.

18. Corey Lemonier – Defensive End – Auburn

Auburn has one bright spot on defense, and that’s Lemonier. He’s the only good player on that defense. Because of that, he gets double teamed a lot, but guess what that doesn’t stop him from getting lots of sacks and pressures. Very athletic too and has a high ceiling.

19. Alec Ogletree – Inside Linebacker – Georgia

Ogletree is a very physical inside linebacker who’s a fantastic tackler. He’s the leader of the Bulldogs’ defense. He’s a playmaker who can become very successful at the next level.

20. Keenan Allen – Wide Receiver – California

Big body wide receiver who’s still performing very well even though he has a bad team. He has good speed, but what makes him so good is that he’s a red zone threat. His leaping ability is great so he could catch high passes (for example fades in the endzone).

21. John Jenkins – Defensive Tackle – Georgia

Massive nose tackle that demands double teams. He’s a great run stopper who takes up a lot of space. He opens holes/space for linebackers to make space, and he can sometimes push the pocket. He’s not that slow either which shows he’s athletic.

22. Jonathan Banks – Cornerback – Mississippi State

Tall corners with speed are really becoming popular in the NFL. Banks is a big guy, and is fantastic in press coverage or man-to-man. He’s been very solid this year. He reminds me of Brandon Browner.

23. Justin Hunter – Wide Receiver – Tennessee Titans

Hunter is a very good receiver. He runs very good routes, has very good speed, and has fantastic size. At 6’4, he can catch any pass that goes his way, and because of his athleticism, he can beat double teams. Now, he’s not having the greatest season, but the potential is very good.

24. Eric Fisher – Offensive Tackle – Central Michigan

Fisher has really risen this year. He has really good length as he’s just a bit over 6’7, but the thing is, he’s got quick feet. He’s a very good pass protector because of his length and athleticism. Needs a bit more work in the running game, but he pulls well. He has a lot of potential.

25. Kenny Vaccaro – Safety – Texas

Vaccaro is a very well rounded safety that plays very well in coverage and is physical in the run stop department. He has the ideal size of a safety, and has the ability to play in the box. He’s very smart too and can make plays. He’s definitely the best safety in this year’s draft.

26. Kawann Short – Defensive Tackle – Purdue

Short is still in the mid-20s as I projected at the beginning of the year. That shows conistency, but he’s improved at is his explosiveness and his motor. He’s gotten better in both departments.

27. Ezekiel Ansah – Defensive End – BYU

Ansah could be the answer for many teams. Although he’s very raw, and a bit inexperience, he possesses the athleticism to really be a beast at the next level. He reminds me a bit of JPP. He has that kind of potential, because both were/are on similar paths.

28. Robert Woods – Wide Receiver – USC

A bit of a disappointing season, but nevertheless, Woods is still one of the best receivers in his class. He may not be an ideal wide receiver, but he has all the skills and intangibles to be a very good slot receiver, which is something a lot of teams need. He has very good speed, fantastic hands, and he runs crisp routes.

29. Zach Ertz – Tight End – Stanford

Ertz has emerged as the best tight end in the nation. He looked very good with Luck last year, but with Luck gone, many expected him to decline. He did the opposite, he excelled and is close to 1000 yards. What is also impressive are that his best games have come against the better teams in the country. Add the fact that he’s big and athletic and you have yourself a fantastic tight end.

30. Sheldon Robertson – Defensive Tackle – Missouri

Robertson is clearly the best defensive player on his team. Even though they’re crap, he still continues to play hard and make a lot of big plays. He’s pretty explosive and has a good first step. He doesn’t have many good moves, but he’s a bull rusher that’s strong.

31. Matt Barkley – Quarterback – USC

Not a fantastic year. On paper, he looks very good, but he has had a lot of help from his receiving core. However, he still has very good accuracy and a good arm. Barkley has really turned into a real good pocket passer, that really commands the field. He reads very well and his patience is fantastic. May not be super athletic, but he has the smarts to be good at the next level.

32. Matt Elam – Safety – Florida

Elam is having a very good season. He’s a very good tackler, and has good power when he makes his hits. He’s also very solid in coverage as he has 4 interceptions this year. What impresses me are his smarts and intangibles; he’s very good at reading plays. He’s a star on the Gators defense.

30. Sheldon Richardson – Defensive Tackle – Missouri

Richardson is clearly the best defensive player on his team. Even though they’re crap, he still continues to play hard and make a lot of big plays. He’s pretty explosive and has a good first step. He doesn’t have many good moves, but he’s a bull rusher that’s strong.

FIFY

In no way shape or form is Barkley better than Tyler Wilson. Wilson is my top QB.

I actually think Te'o is a worse prospect than Keuchly was.

Unfortunately Jarvis Jones will fall because of his stenosis, he is definitely the best player in the draft.

Vaccaro is "definitely the best safety in this year's draft"? Elam is slightly worse in coverage and is shorter, that's really the only places Kenny is even close to Matt.

I just finished watching the SEC championship game featuring a bunch of your 1st rounders. Alabama's offensive line put on a clinic in the 3rd quarter. Getting Warmack would be unreal....literally...as in unrealistic.

As a Miss State guy, I like Banks. Not only is he a position of need and he's physical, but he is a team leader. You will see him talking to guys when they make mistakes.

QB class is horrible. If I were Kansas City, I would rather grab Vick than draft any of these jokers.

In no way shape or form is Barkley better than Tyler Wilson. Wilson is my top QB.

Unfortunately Jarvis Jones will fall because of his stenosis, he is definitely the best player in the draft.

Vaccaro is "definitely the best safety in this year's draft"? Elam is slightly worse in coverage and is shorter, that's really the only places Kenny is even close to Matt.

Well, Wilson is definitely not the top QB imo. He hasn't performed that well, and he's in a pass heavy offense. He's crapped the bed against good teams, and makes a lot of reading mistakes.

Te'o is phenomenal talent. He's better than Kuechly. Kuechly was the better tackler, but not by much. Te'o is better in coverage, is a better leader (which teams value) and is more athletic.

Jones is the best player in the draft, as you said and I stated, but just because he's no.1 here, doesn't mean he'll go no.1 in the draft. A big board and mock draft are two completely different things.

Vaccaro wasn't better when the season started, but he's the best player on his defense, and he makes plays. I don't see that with Elam, he doesn't have the playmaking ability. Plus Vaccaro is a just as good tackler. He has 3 10+ tackle games this year and they are against good teams. Vaccarro is better imo.

Te'o is a better prospect than Keuchly. Vaccaro has been consistently rated as the top safety by many draft sites.

Carradine all the way up there even after his ACL tear?

Well, I made this last week...

I would have put him lower, but the talent is there and if he gets surgery now (which I think he did), he should be back before the season starts.

The ACL surgery definitely hurts.

Well, Wilson is definitely not the top QB imo. He hasn't performed that well, and he's in a pass heavy offense. He's crapped the bed against good teams, and makes a lot of reading mistakes.

Have you seen the the team around him? His OL can't block, his RBs can't run, his D cant play D, and his coaches can't coach.

Te'o is phenomenal talent. He's better than Kuechly. Kuechly was the better tackler, but not by much. Te'o is better in coverage, is a better leader (which teams value) and is more athletic.

No, he is a good talent who is on a hyped team and has had some (very) lucky INTS. He can't shed blocks to save his life and is an inconsistent tackler.

Jones is the best player in the draft, as you said and I stated, but just because he's no.1 here, doesn't mean he'll go no.1 in the draft. A big board and mock draft are two completely different things.

Yes, I know. When did I say he didn't belong at the top of the board? I was just saying that while he is the best player he won't go #1.

Vaccaro wasn't better when the season started, but he's the best player on his defense, and he makes plays. I don't see that with Elam, he doesn't have the playmaking ability. Plus Vaccaro is a just as good tackler. He has 3 10+ tackle games this year and they are against good teams. Vaccarro is better imo.

You can have the opinion Vacarro is better for a lot of reasons, but saying Elam isn't a playmaker and Vaccarro is is laughable. Elam has 2 FFs and 4 INTs to Vaccarro's 1 INT and 0 FFs. Have you seen Elam play? He forces fumbles thanks to his amazing hitting power and nose for the ball, and even has 4 INTs against 4 teams with some very good QBs- Georgia, Tennessee, Mizzou, and Florida State. He had a huge FF against LSU. His play elevates against great teams. He is the definition of a playmaker.

Well, I made this last week...

I would have put him lower, but the talent is there and if he gets surgery now (which I think he did), he should be back before the season starts.

The ACL surgery definitely hurts.

Remember, Chapman got hurt in October, had surgery in Mid-January and wasn't going to be ready before Thanksgiving at the earliest. I think the chances of Carradine being ready in early September are incredibly slim, even if he has surgery this week.

Depending on whether he falls in the draft, he'd be on my radar as to try and grab in a lesser round as we did with Chapman.

Now, I'm not expecting him to fall to the 5th round, but he might fall a bit if teams think he won't be able to help much in 2013.

Also.... I'm not sure if he's a fit in our 3-4. I think FSU plays a 4-3. Some DE's can make the transition, some can't. And his injury will not help him since he won't be able to do anything at the combine or pro day or private work outs....

Just some food for thought.... also.... Think this was/is your best Big Board. More sleeper names on it and more names that we high earlier in the season have rightly slipped toward the bottom of the first round. Nicely done! :thmup:

Te'o is a better prospect than Keuchly. Vaccaro has been consistently rated as the top safety by many draft sites.

No, he isn't. Give me Keuchly anyday.

I don't care what draft sites say, but I'd like to see all of these sites ranking him as the top S.

Wilson doesn't have a great supporting cast, but he's not putting up very good numbers and he's making a lot of mistakes. That could party be due to his O-line, but he's in a pass heavy offense, and he's not making a lot of big plays.

Te'o is better than Kuechly. Te'o is the leader of that team. Not only does he get in the backfield, he gets sacks and he gets tackles in the backfield. He knows how to get through traffic. He makes plays. Sure, I couple of his picks were lucky, but he's fantastic in coverage and he still has 7 picks, which is 2nd best in college. Te'o is a top 3 player in this year's draft.

Vaccaro and Elam are two of the best safeties in this year's draft. Vaccaro is better, and it's because of his great all around play. You use numbers and stats, but that doesn't tell the full story. He's better in coverage, he takes away the deep balls, and no team likes to throw deep against Texas. He also has better size, so he can be used in the box and is better in run support. Elam makes bigger hits, but Vaccaro is better in the running game. He's almost like an extra linebacker sometimes. He's also a better reader than Elam, and I think that's very important with safeties. It's not just me who thinks this, all the draft guys think this too.

Wilson doesn't have a great supporting cast, but he's not putting up very good numbers and he's making a lot of mistakes. That could party be due to his O-line, but he's in a pass heavy offense, and he's not making a lot of big plays.

He is in a pass heavy offense because he and Hamilton are all they have!

Te'o is better than Kuechly. Te'o is the leader of that team. Not only does he get in the backfield, he gets sacks and he gets tackles in the backfield. He knows how to get through traffic. He makes plays. Sure, I couple of his picks were lucky, but he's fantastic in coverage and he still has 7 picks, which is 2nd best in college. Te'o is a top 3 player in this year's draft.

In your opinion. Te'o has 1.5 sacks behind the best DL in CFB, how impressive. There are plent of guys over on Football's Future who agree with me, he plays for Pitt and he's a mid rounder.

Vaccaro and Elam are two of the best safeties in this year's draft. Vaccaro is better, and it's because of his great all around play. You use numbers and stats, but that doesn't tell the full story. He's better in coverage, he takes away the deep balls, and no team likes to throw deep against Texas. He also has better size, so he can be used in the box and is better in run support. Elam makes bigger hits, but Vaccaro is better in the running game. He's almost like an extra linebacker sometimes. He's also a better reader than Elam, and I think that's very important with safeties. It's not just me who thinks this, all the draft guys think this too.

If you want to say Vaccarro is a better playmaker, he'd better make more plays than Elam, which I just proved he doesn't. No team is afraid to do anything against that awful Texas D. Since Kenny is bigger he is better in run support, gotcha, that makes since. All the draft guys think this, too? Okay...

Arkansas has always been a pass heavy offense.

That's your opinion about Te'o. He's a top 4 guy on most boards.

Vaccaro's frame makes him better, that's right. If Elam were Vaccaro's size, would he be better? That's another story.

Here's the experts:

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8628346/2013-nfl-draft-five-new-names-dot-big-board

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft2013/story/_/id/8659563/2013-nfl-draft-linemen-continue-shine-latest-rankings

Both have Te'o in the top 4, and Vaccaro on their boards and Elam is not even on them. I like Elam, but he's not dong as much as Vaccaro.

Arkansas has always been a pass heavy offense.

That's your opinion about Te'o. He's a top 4 guy on most boards.

Vaccaro's frame makes him better, that's right. If Elam were Vaccaro's size, would he be better? That's another story.

Here's the experts:

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8628346/2013-nfl-draft-five-new-names-dot-big-board

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft2013/story/_/id/8659563/2013-nfl-draft-linemen-continue-shine-latest-rankings

Both have Te'o in the top 4, and Vaccaro on their boards and Elam is not even on them. I like Elam, but he's not dong as much as Vaccaro.

That's every draft expert? In two links? Dang.

Elam isn't doing as much as Vaccarro? Ugh, we went over this, Elam has done so much more this year. I said it already, if you want to say KV is better because he is more consistent in coverage, fine, but don't say he is a playmaker and Elam isn't (lol) or that he has done more.

You obviously have not seen Te'o play. Also, your Elam bias is really starting to show. He's good, but will likely get pushed into the 1st round kind of like Harrison Smith ( not saying they're are the same type of player) did last year because of a weak safety class. Also, KV is better because pass coverage these days for safeties is a big deal.

You obviously have not seen Te'o play. Also, your Elam bias is really starting to show. He's good, but will likely get pushed into the 1st round kind of like Harrison Smith ( not saying they're are the same type of player) did last year because of a weak safety class. Also, KV is better because pass coverage these days for safeties in a big deal.

i agree KV is better

You obviously have not seen Te'o play. Also, your Elam bias is really starting to show. He's good, but will likely get pushed into the 1st round kind of like Harrison Smith ( not saying they're are the same type of player) did last year because of a weak safety class. Also, KV is better because pass coverage these days for safeties is a big deal.

And Harrison Smith has outplayed Barron by far, so...

I have seen Te'o play. When a MLB can't shed blocks or tackle consistently (and doesn't hit hard, either) it usually means bad things. He is also not very athletic and is playing behind a ridiculous DL.

You are all talking like it's definitive that KV is better. I'll take Elam (and I have had good success scouting safeties, I played S in high school) over him. We'll see how their careers play out.

I have seen Te'o play. When a MLB can't shed blocks or tackle consistently (and doesn't hit hard, either) it usually means bad things. He is also not very athletic and is playing behind a ridiculous DL.

You are all talking like it's definitive that KV is better. I'll take Elam (and I have had good success scouting safeties, I played S in high school) over him. We'll see how their careers play out.

Are you serious saying that Te'o can't hit hard? That statement is wrong. No argument, just wrong.

Actually, Barron has played better than Smith. I thought that was known among football fans.

Actually, Barron has played better than Smith. I thought that was known among football fans.

:facepalm: Andy, please, don't embarrass yourself by trying to insult my knowledge of football, especially with all of the mistakes here. Smith has been much better... Barron has done very little, and certainly hasn't looked like a top 10 selection. Smith has been great, there's a reason he's called "The Eraser."

Few of these guys are professional scouts (some are) but here are some impressions on Smith so far: http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=502766&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Harrison Smith 63 tackles(39 solo) and 1 interception

Mark Barron-62 tackles (50 solo) 1 forced fumble, 1 interception

I'd take Barron, What has Harrison actually erased? Harrison was never a 1st rounder in my opinion, honestly mid 2nd to early 3rd in my opinion, 2 years of middle of the pack type production at ND, 3 sacks are nice in 2008 but what happened in 2009? Way Over Drafted

:facepalm: Andy, please, don't embarrass yourself by trying to insult my knowledge of football, especially with all of the mistakes here. Smith has been much better... Barron has done very little, and certainly hasn't looked like a top 10 selection. Smith has been great, there's a reason he's called "The Eraser."

Few of these guys are professional scouts (some are) but here are some impressions on Smith so far: http://www.footballs...der=asc&start=0

Nobody, I honestly didn't try to take a shot at you. I really didn't want to insult you. I just said that football fans (that's you) knew that Barron has been playing better.

You're telling me that I'm suppose to change my mind on Smith because a forum thinks that Smith has been doing well.

Watch the tape, and listen to the experts, Barron has been performing very well with the Bucs. He's making big stops in the running game and he's doing not bad in the passing game. Smith was torched in the earlier part of the season, but has been a bit better as of late. Still not better than Barron.

Oh, sorry, a nickname means he's better than Barron.

Whats with the Ansah love everywhere, he has had 1 good but not great year of production

It's the upside/ceiling/potential. JPP had not much production, but the Gmen drafted him for the upside.

Look at how that turned out.

It's the upside/ceiling/potential. JPP had not much production, but the Gmen drafted him for the upside.

Look at how that turned out.

Paul actually had the stats to back it up from a freshman in college at College Of The Canyons (California small college I know)

Freshman year he has 49 tackles 14 sacks, 19 tackles for loss 2 forced fumbles 1 interception and 1 fumble recovery

in 2008 he played at Fort Scott Community college in Kansas-70 tackles, 10.5 sacks, 3 forced fumbles (2 recovered)

He transferred to the University of South Florida in Tampa, Florida. In 2009, he played thirteen games for the Bulls with seven starts and totaled 45 tackles (16.5 for losses), 6.5 sacks, one interception (returned 18 yards for a touchdown), broke up three passes, and forced two fumbles.

Thats a very HUGE difference from what Ansah has done regardless of where Paul did it

Paul had a ton of production and did it consistently, Maybe Ansah will to but I sure would not draft him in the 1st and find out considering his one year of production, a mid round pick in my opinion

Paul actually had the stats to back it up from a freshman in college at College Of The Canyons (California small college I know0

Freshman year he has 49 tackles 14 sacks, 19 tackles for loss 2 forced fumbles 1 interception and 1 fumble recovery

in 2008 he played at Fort Scott Community college in Kansas-70 tackles, 10.5 sacks, 3 forced fumbles (2 recovered)

He transferred to the University of South Florida in Tampa, Florida. In 2009, he played thirteen games for the Bulls with seven starts and totaled 45 tackles (16.5 for losses), 6.5 sacks, one interception (returned 18 yards for a touchdown), broke up three passes, and forced two fumbles.

Thats a very HUGE difference from what Ansah has done regardless of where Paul did it

Paul had a ton of production and did it consistently, Maybe Ansah will to but I sure would not draft him in the 1st and find out considering his one year of production, a mid round pick in my opinion

Well, everyone is praising his crazy athleticism. Here's the thing, he's very versatile. He can play anywhere on the D-line and do it well. He has a surprising amount of football smarts for a guy with not much experience.

As mentioned, he's a crazy athlete. He was on the BYU track team and has a 39 inch vertical. You don't see that every day.