Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Collie And Gonzalez Likely Out For Week One As Well , Spann Realesed

bayone

From Will Carrol at SI.com:

Hearing Gonzalez and Collie out for Week 1. Gonzolez not expected to practice this week. #colts

( at first this quote had both not practicing but clarified later below )

Collie's injury is a foot and not related to concussions. ( wasn't iut the knee this offsesaon after preseason game 1 )

it will have been a month since Gonzo has practiced.

Will sent out this little update a few minutes ago:

Clarify: Meant Gonzalez will not practice. My error conflating Collie in there, tho he's very iffy to play.

Phil Richards wrote that Gonzo expects to play against Houston.,

( gonzo also expected to play in last preseason game he himself had said )

In other roster-related news, the Colts have apparently reached an injury settlement with Chad Spann. The team has released him, and he is a free agent.

STAMPEDE BLUE ARTICLE, quotes are from outside sources though

My link

Spann was released... why did we keep him in the 1st place. Gonzo and Collie better play or we'll be screwed at WR. We'll only have Garcon Wayne White, and maybe Gilreath.

This is why some of us felt we needed to add wide receiver depth. Now not only is Peyton out but 2 of our starting 4 wideouts are going to be missing in action as well. And go figure it's the exact same two guys who we all were expressing concern over. I'll still cut Collie some slack but that Gonzo character is beyond ridiculous. I associate his name with the Muppets' roster more often than I do with him being on the field for the Colts.

I really feel we should have kept Brooks, because of this lack of depth at WR. He played well during the preseason and you can't go into a season with the brittle receivers that we have. White had a back injury that kept him out the whole pre season, Gonzo can't stay healthy and Collie (I am pulling for you, kid) is one hit in the head from his career being ended. I would love for them all to have great years, but this is a major concern.

So let me get this straight.

Collie did not practice but he did practice but he is expected to play while missing the game?

Gonzo did not practice but did practice but expects to play while being ruled out?

Spann decided he did not want to spend a year with the Colts so they paid him a settlement and released him. I wonder if they will sign him to the practice squad once he clears waivers. I like Spann he has great form while running and his a natural. If given a chance in a couple of years I think he could be a star in the NFL.

So let me get this straight.

Collie did not practice but he did practice but he is expected to play while missing the game?

Gonzo did not practice but did practice but expects to play while being ruled out?

Spann decided he did not want to spend a year with the Colts so they paid him a settlement and released him. I wonder if they will sign him to the practice squad once he clears waivers. I like Spann he has great form while running and his a natural. If given a chance in a couple of years I think he could be a star in the NFL.

--------------------------------

One source Will Carrol at SI.com: as noted confusingly in the OP I basically copied off stampede blue ( so will try & clear up this here combining it with a second posted article in another OP regarding beathea & Gonzo ) says both wont play and after intially saying both didnt practice, corrected himself and said collie did but remained unchanged in his opinion that both wont play

---------------------------

Another article said Gonzo feels that he could play and will, I simply pointed out he said the same before the final preaseaon game

Besides Gonzo , Beathea didnt practice

all that article said both are needed esp Beathea to hold the secondary together like he did last year

this is a link to that 2nd posted article, at least the post & its from the site coltsinsider

My link

Spann i dont know the reason and all the financial details but read in a few places colts released him after paying an injury settlement and he is a free agent at this point

From Will Carrol at SI.com:

Hearing Gonzalez and Collie out for Week 1. Gonzolez not expected to practice this week. #colts

( at first this quote had both not practicing but clarified later below )

Collie's injury is a foot and not related to concussions. ( wasn't iut the knee this offsesaon after preseason game 1 )

it will have been a month since Gonzo has practiced.

Will sent out this little update a few minutes ago:

Clarify: Meant Gonzalez will not practice. My error conflating Collie in there, tho he's very iffy to play.

Phil Richards wrote that Gonzo expects to play against Houston.,

( gonzo also expected to play in last preseason game he himself had said )

In other roster-related news, the Colts have apparently reached an injury settlement with Chad Spann. The team has released him, and he is a free agent.

STAMPEDE BLUE ARTICLE, quotes are from outside sources though

My link

Collie, our best receiver, is a huge loss. Gonzo out is business as usual--no big deal.

One source Will Carrol at SI.com: as noted confusingly in the OP I basically copied off stampede blue ( so will try & clear up this here combining it with a second posted article in another OP regarding beathea & Gonzo ) says both wont play and after intially saying both didnt practice, corrected himself and said collie did but remained unchanged in his opinion that both wont play

Another article said Gonzo feels that he could play and will, I simply pointed out he said the same before the final preaseaon game

all that article said both are needed esp Beathea to hold the secondary together like he did last year

this is a link to that 2nd posted article, at least the post & its from the site coltsinsider

My link

Spann i dont know the reason and all the financial details but read in a few places colts released him after paying an injury settlement and he is a free agent at this point

Mine was a joke based on the entire thread, not just your post, bayone.

My link

todays radio said spann was going to try out with the bears

I agree. I'm a big fan of Spann's, it's too bad we couldn't keep him on IR for the year.

I really feel we should have kept Brooks, because of this lack of depth at WR. He played well during the preseason and you can't go into a season with the brittle receivers that we have. White had a back injury that kept him out the whole pre season, Gonzo can't stay healthy and Collie (I am pulling for you, kid) is one hit in the head from his career being ended. I would love for them all to have great years, but this is a major concern.

We did keep Brooks and signed him to the Practice Squad.

I came across this article with more details about Spann. A little odd, and doesn't answer everything, but it helps.

http://northernstar.info/sports/news/article_42e63cee-d90e-11e0-bff8-0019bb30f31a.html

Key points:

"Spann said he sustained a sprained hamstring during the first quarter of the Colts' last preseason game against the Cincinnati Bengals.

"I played through the injury after it happened and my performance in that game helped me make the team," Spann said. "It wasn't until the next day that I found out I had sprained it".

and

"Spann was placed on injured reserve and came to an injury settlement agreement with the Colts. This agreement stipulates that Spann can rehab as a member of the Colts for two weeks, after which he becomes a free agent for six weeks.During this period, Spann said he can be signed by another team, and after the six week period, the Colts will be allowed to resign him.

"It's not the worst news," Spann said. "It shows they want me on the team instead of just leaving me up for grabs."

From the article above...

Spann was placed on injured reserve and came to an injury settlement agreement with the Colts. This agreement stipulates that Spann can rehab as a member of the Colts for two weeks, after which he becomes a free agent for six weeks.

During this period, Spann said he can be signed by another team, and after the six week period, the Colts will be allowed to resign him.

I don't understand, so he can go to another team for 6 weeks and then the Colts can just take him back? That doesn't sound right.

Since both Collie and Gonzo practiced today (according to Irsay's injury report tweet: Injury report...Out: Manning. DNP: G.Brackett. LP: A.Gonzalez and B.White. FP: A.Bethea and A.Collie), I can't imagine they won't play barring a set-back. I would say this is particularly true for Collie...it's hard to have faith in Gonzo.

I don't understand, so he can go to another team for 6 weeks and then the Colts can just take him back? That doesn't sound right.

As I said the article seemed a bit odd. Not exactly from a major media outlet. I assume they mean that for some reason the Colts can't or won't touch him for 6 weeks, but maybe they've hinted that they would like him back eventually if he can't get a better offer elsewhere.

Frankly I thought that IR meant you couldn't put a player back on your roster for the entire season. Maybe when you release somebody from IR there is a six week free agent period. That would certainly prevent teams from parking usable players there.

Since both Collie and Gonzo practiced today (according to Irsay's injury report tweet: Injury report...Out: Manning. DNP: G.Brackett. LP: A.Gonzalez and B.White. FP: A.Bethea and A.Collie), I can't imagine they won't play barring a set-back. I would say this is particularly true for Collie...it's hard to have faith in Gonzo.

Gary?? Injured again?? Never been a big fan, good guy I'm sure, great ball player, nope. I jumped off his bandwagon along time ago. That's IMO.

I'd say it's more likly the Colts went to Spann and said we are going to put you on IR and he didn't want to do that so the Colts worked out a plan to release him.

That's what I thought, but the articles linked above paint a somewhat different picture.

I think what it is saying, is he can workout/rehab with the team for 2 weeks. After that two weeks he then becomes a free agent. If a team signs him then he is part of that team, if no team signs him after 6 weeks then his rights go back to the Colts who can then sign him to the PS or to the 53 man roster.

I think what it is saying, is he can workout/rehab with the team for 2 weeks. After that two weeks he then becomes a free agent. If a team signs him then he is part of that team, if no team signs him after 6 weeks then his rights go back to the Colts who can then sign him to the PS or to the 53 man roster.

After reading it a few times that's the conclusion I came to too, but it's worded terribly.

Um, this thread is incorrect. Collie particiapted fully on Wednesday and is expected to play Sunday. Gonzo practiced on a limited basis and depending on how the rest of this week goes, he could be playing on Sunday as well.

/Thread

^This. I really wish people would stop making threads posting unconfirmed links from a guy that said his cousins sister in law grandfathers nieces son, said that so and so are so and so.