Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

A few questions to Colts fans that live in Indiana

coltsfan_nyc

1) Do you have any feelings towards the Baltimore Colts as far as the history, including Johnny Unitas or do you view the Baltimore Colts as a completely different team and share no connection?

2) Is the rivalry with New England dead now that Manning is with the Broncos?

3) Since the Baltimore Colts beat the Cowboys in a superbowl, do we have 2 superbowl wins or did that superbowl win not transfer over?

4) How is the stadium experience, including the Colts store?

1. I feel no connection. I became a Colts fan in 1987, after the Dickerson trade. I won't wear any stuff with the old Colts' insignia.

2. I don't think the rivalry is dead, it's just in hibernation. I don't know if it will ever get back to what it once was, as hopefully Brady is done soon.

3. The franchise has 2 Super Bowl wins, but one was in Baltimore, that's just how I look at it.

4. The stadium experience is great, it's a very nice facility. Colts fans are simply great people for the most part, and there is very little nastiness toward other teams' fans. However, we lose a little ferocity in the trade off. It's loud there, but the RCA Dome just seemed louder. As far as the store, amenities, and all of that, there is no comparison. Lucas blows RCA's door off.

1. Yes Colts are Colts with both Cities... Indy is thankful that Baltimore ( basically) forced them out.

2. No he rivalry isn't dead, nor will be when Brady retires.

3. 2 titles.

4. one of the best stadium experiencing... Better than Denver, I know just saw the Broncos and Chargers and No comparison..

I'm only 21, so all I've ever known is the Indianapolis Colts. I enjoy seeing the history about it, but I don't really have any huge feelings about it. I do feel that it is the same team, so the SB still counts. The Pats/Colts rivalry is still the Pats/Colts rivalry, although, I feel it has lost a lot of its muster because it is no longer Manning V Brady. Maybe in a few years it can be a new QB rivalry with Luck V Mallett (I doubt Mallett is their QB of the future though). I've never been to LOS and only went to one game in the Dome. I just don't have the money for it. I would love to go to more, just haven't had the chance to.

1) Do you have any feelings towards the Baltimore Colts as far as the history, including Johnny Unitas or do you view the Baltimore Colts as a completely different team and share no connection?

3) Since the Baltimore Colts beat the Cowboys in a superbowl, do we have 2 superbowl wins or did that superbowl win not transfer over?

1) Very Minimal connection to Unitas, same franchise but different teams

2) heck NO

3) Franchise has two. Indy Colts have 1, Baltimore Colts 1

4) Love love love love love

1. I was born in 1985 so the Indianapolis Colts are all I know. I do think Baltimore fans need to get over it and are extremely hypocritical ( I have an Ex girlfriend from Baltimore, so I've heard it all lol) . I understand their argument about the name and history but that is the owner's call, it's his business to do as he wishes.

2. I will continue to hate NE until Brady and Belichick are gone. Their fan base ruffled some serious feathers here for years. But the on the field rivalry is dead.

3. Yes, it transfers over on paper. It's the same franchise with the same name, just new city. But that championship belongs in Baltimore's trophy case not Indy's.

4. I love LOS and have always had a great experience there. The pro shop is pretty cool, its just always packed before the games.

1.) I see them as part of the history of the Colts Franchise. The Colts were started in Baltimore and currently Indianapolis. I just think the Baltimore Fans needs to get over the whole thing. They have a new team that has won a Super Bowl and still is a dominate team.

2.) No the rivalry is still alive

3.) The Colts franchise has 2 wins

4.) Lucas Oil Stadium is amazing. One of the best stadiums in the league. The RCA Dome was louder cause of the dome, but Lucas Oil Stadium gets freaking loud as well

You guys dont know what your talking about we are the COLTS Baltimore or Indy know your history know your team, Come on man.

First, thank you everyone for your replies. Baltimorecolt1973, are you saying the Colts are the same team despite whatever city they're in and fans should know the history? I'm not sure what you mean. I personally look at baltimore and indy as the same team, different location, but wanted to get an Indianapolis perspective since I'm just a New Yorker.

Kind of like when a family moves to a new city, your family history moves with you, the memories, the accomplishments, etc. I cant wait to see LOS next season and hang out in Indianapolis for a weekend!

First, thank you everyone for your replies. Baltimorecolt1973, are you saying the Colts are the same team despite whatever city they're in and fans should know the history? I'm not sure what you mean. I personally look at baltimore and indy as the same team, different location, but wanted to get an Indianapolis perspective since I'm just a New Yorker.

Kind of like when a family moves to a new city, your family history moves with you, the memories, the accomplishments, etc. I cant wait to see LOS next season and hang out in Indianapolis for a weekend!

yes i am saying the two are the same team. like you i am a new yorker as well you will love Indy awesome city

I became an Indianapolis Colts fan in 1984 at the age of 9. I was at the very first 40 home Colts games, and have been at the past 65 in a row . With that said, I believe the Baltimore Colts and their history have and should stay in Baltimore. The city of Baltimore and the Ravens have accepted the preservation of much of that pre-1984 Colts history. Even Johnny Unitas was a Ravens fan and was seen at many of their events. Baltimore Colts fans are mostly in Baltimore, not Indianapolis. The only connection was the convoy of Mayflowers driving down the interstate that night! What really irritates me is when I see Indianapolis Colts shirts and attire that says Established 1953 on them. The Baltimore Colts were established in 1953. I think ALL Indianapolis Colts attire should have the established 1984 on them. Gives OUR city and OUR team a sense of identity. I actually just had a custom sweatshirt made from NFLSHOP.COM that had the number 84 on the sleeve and the back to represent the origin of the INDIANAPOLIS COLTS!!

-I am torn in this one but I might be too young. My father for example ironically was already rooting for Unitas/Colts and was ecstatic when the Colts came to Indy.

I do often put them together but I try to be cautious. Baltimore fans though......oh don't get into it with them. ;)

-Probably. It's just another game now between us. I mean it still means something to me since it is a great measuring stick to play the Pats and I have fond memories of all the players, not just Manning/Brady. Besides, it is a bit tough to develop a QB rivalry with a QB 23 and a QB 35. :)

-This is probably where I show my true colors since I don't count that Baltimore Colts SB win as one of "our own." But, my father might. It might just be our age differences.

-Great. But, even as much as I love LOS, Ioved the RCA Dome. That place used to get so loud it was crazy. I remember the 2007 Pats at Colts game there. I was there and man did that place rock early on in the game....I think it was when we sacked Brady. I think Brady even said sometimes you could not hear a thing there but the crowd. I miss that old Dome at times, but I am more then happy with LOS and an upgrade was meant to happen!

As far as the store, amenities, and all of that, there is no comparison. Lucas blows RCA's door off.

This.

1) Like any team that moves to a new home, it's history but doesn't change anything.

2. The rivalry was Manning and Brady, the two best qb's at the time, there is no more rivalry.

3. Technically 2, actually 1. Again changing homes changes everything--

4. LOS is the best in the NFL.

What really irritates me is when I see Indianapolis Colts shirts and attire that says Established 1953 on them. The Baltimore Colts were established in 1953.

If you want to keep going back one year, the Baltimore franchise started as the Dallas Texans, and they kept the blue and white colors, thats why the Cowboys and the Colts have similar color schemes.

1. I have a lot of respect for the history of the Baltimore Colts, especially Unitas, but don't feel connected to them.

2. The rivalry is gone, IMO, and will never be what it once was. It could be a rivalry again, but not until the Colts beat the Pats at least twice.

3. The first Colts Super Bowl win belongs to Baltimore.

4. Just went to my 1st game at LOS in October, great experience.

I am fairly new on the board too....

I am in New York since 1981 but born and bred in Fort Wayne and I was a HUGE Baltimore Colts fan growing up. Loved Unitas (I have a signed Johnny Unitas poster and a Johnny Unitas/Peyton Manning signed Football) and followed the team religiously since the age of 6. Read and studied everything I could and watched the games which were few and far between in those early days.... But they have always been my team. I adopted the Giants only because, they are local and well - what can you say about Peyton Manning's brother? You have to root for him if you are a Peyton fan.

Needless to say, when they moved to Indy I was more than stoked! It was a dream come true! To make matters more complicated, my wife is from Gettysburg, and the major market TV stations were all from Baltimore. Needless to say her family were pretty hard core Baltimore Colts fans and we had many heated discussions about the team they grew to call the "Indianpolis Irsays". Of course it's all very emotional for the Baltimore folks and that emotion clouded the true, simple and logical facts of why the Colts left - a few reasons really - the imminent domain issue was huge and of course the refusal to provide a new stadium. I don't know what you know about the old Baltimore stadium but to give you an idea - the visitors locker room had one toilet which sat in the middle of the room with no walls or door. Nice.

I bought the hat with the "horse" logo recently and I am darned proud of the Colts - the Colts are the Colts are the Colts as far as I am concerned - always have been, always will be. Of course, the Baltimore folks don't want to hear about the "Baltimore Browns". It's been a long time and we can only hope that time heals....

ColtsHappy

Candidly, I used to not even consider Baltimore's history with our Indianapolis Colts. But, after years and years of bitter Baltimorans blasting Indy, our Colts, Hoosiers, etc., I've grown pretty unfavorable of the entire situation. In fact, I root for every record established in Baltimore to be broken by an Indy Colt. I respect and cherish those folks who stayed fans of the team after the move THIRTY years ago and routinely interact with them. But the bitter folks have ruined my respect for anything non-Indy with our franchise.

I think the rivalry with the Patriots is largely dead.

Our stadium is incredible. Our downtown is even more impressive. The Colts' pro shop inside the stadium will blow you away. The pro shop inside Circle Centre Mall is really cool too but nowhere near the shock and awe of the LOS shop.

Different team to me.

I'll probably hate New England for the rest of my life. The loud mouth fans are obnoxious and ruined it for me. That said, I didn't like them since 85 when the Bears destroyed them. lol

To me, the Colts have only one Superbowl win since once they changed cities, it's a different team.

The stadium is phenom. It's very nice, and it gets rocking!! It isn't quite as loud as the RCA dome got, but it's a great experience. I love it when they open the side window. The roof is cool, but the shadows are terrible.

I get my stuff off the website, so I don't have experience buying in the colts store. Although I have been in it, and it's nice and you can get in and out of it pretty easily.

I became an Indianapolis Colts fan in 1984 at the age of 9. I was at the very first 40 home Colts games, and have been at the past 65 in a row . With that said, I believe the Baltimore Colts and their history have and should stay in Baltimore. The city of Baltimore and the Ravens have accepted the preservation of much of that pre-1984 Colts history. Even Johnny Unitas was a Ravens fan and was seen at many of their events. Baltimore Colts fans are mostly in Baltimore, not Indianapolis. The only connection was the convoy of Mayflowers driving down the interstate that night! What really irritates me is when I see Indianapolis Colts shirts and attire that says Established 1953 on them. The Baltimore Colts were established in 1953. I think ALL Indianapolis Colts attire should have the established 1984 on them. Gives OUR city and OUR team a sense of identity. I actually just had a custom sweatshirt made from NFLSHOP.COM that had the number 84 on the sleeve and the back to represent the origin of the INDIANAPOLIS COLTS!!

while i don't have any feeling for the colts pre indy...i don't agree with this at all. cities don't own the team, people do, and the history of the franchise moves with them. the ravens can pretend they didn't use to be the browns, but the fact is they were...heck, their gm is a legendary brown.

i don't think anybody would say the brooklyn dodgers aren't part of los angeles dodgers history.

1.) I see the Indy Colts are 'ours' but I was a fan of the Baltimore Colts, too

I see Johnny Unitas and Bert Jones as Colts the same way Manning is...

2.) The NE-Indy rivalry is dead..they arent division rivals and hopefully wont meet every year now.

3.) The Colts have 2 Super Bowl wins..and Unitas's team won the so called 'Greatest Game of all time' in 1958...

4. The stadium is great....a stunning l;andmark..... but I dont make enough money to have ever gone to the Colts' store. ;)

Lots of good questions.

1) I still tie the Colts with Baltimore, yes, but the name doesn't sound right anymore. That familiar feeling when you see them on the field in an NFL Films Production from way back. However, they are now the Indianapolis Colts and in a few years, they will have been in Indy for longer than they were in Baltimore. ALso, Baltimore has their Ravens now, a good franchise of its own right.

2) Less of a rivalry; still there, but I think new ones will develop. I think Pats fans hate the Colts, but they hate Manning more. Also, I can't hate the Patriots anymore....I know, sorry. I'm a Giants fan also and after watching Patriots lose in the last two minutes of each Super Bowl...the disappointed looks on the fans' (and Brady's) faces, I just can't hate them as much.

3) 2 SB's!!!!!! (same franchise=two wins). In fact, I heard (haven't been there) that they moved the Baltimore Colts display near the Baltimore Ravens displays. To do that would be factually incorrect.

4) Stadium experience ROCKS!!!! The great thing about Indy is that it is, although a big city (around 2 mill), it seems like a big small town (why I moved here). People, although somewhat uptight (I'm a GA boy and we are more laid back in the South), are relatively down to earth. Plus, it's a small enough city that you can go to community functions and see players. I've seen Vinatieri in Carmel before. Also, they do community events like the Gary Brackett challenge etc. ANyway, the stadium is great, wide open, and a very nice facility. You can see downtown out the big window and you don't have to leave your seat.

Edit: Also, if you're a fan of an opposing team, you'll get some comments but they are generally good natured and all in good fun. Never seen a fight there on that issue.

1) I include Baltimore in Colts history, but I feel no hometown pride for getting the first ring... I think Colts fans naturally gravitate toward Unitas because Peyton was so often compared to him... (couple of no nonsense, clean cut guys with military approved haircuts and ridiculous work ethics)

2) Indy fans still consider this a rivalry, but I'm not really sure that the Pats ever did until we finally beat them on our way to winning the SB in Miami... Patriots fans hate the Jets more than they hate us...

3) We have 2 SB rings as a franchise and 1 as a city. Like I said earlier, the only way this comes up in conversation is if we are in the middle of an extremely deep "better franchise" argument... Many Indy fans only started paying attention after #18 showed up anyway..

4) LOS is a great place to see a game... I just went to my first last week against Buffalo and It was everything I had imagined... When Chuck showed up to greet the crowd, well... it was epic.

The Colts store is like an open air market for Colts gear. The prices are reasonable compared to other stadiums I've bought things at, but you can get your gear cheaper online if you have the knack.