Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Evaluating The Colts' Offseason

rockywoj

After last year ended, I proclaimed that this offseason the Colts needed to beef up at DT (likely via free agency), draft one or two premier OL prospects, add a top flight FA OG, and get and stay healthy. Do those things and I figured the Colts would be a MUCH better team than they ended up being in 2010 and wouold thus be a serious Super Bowl contender.

So, let's evaluate the Colts' offseason. Here's my take.

Offensive Line

I wanted them to draft Derek Sherrod and maybe a top OG in the 2nd or 3rd rounds. The drafted Castonzo, whom most people had rated higher than Sherrod as a top OT prospect. I disagreed with that evaluation, but I am hopeful the pro scouts employed by the Colts can better evaluate OT talent than I can. Honestly, I am a bit dubious on Castonzo, but I remain hopeful. Time will tell, if Castonzo was the right guy.

Moving up to get Ijilana in the second round exceeded my OL draft expectations. He was also a stud prospect, so teamed with Castonzo, Ijilana made this draft a success as far as adding OL talent goes. Now we just have to hope they both pan out.

I am kind of disappointed the Colts didn't do as I had hoped by breaking the bank to bring in a premier OG free agent. Barring that, I had figured they would keep Charlie Johnson and he would move to OG or RT. The loss of Johnson was not the Colts fault, though, as he was way over paid by the Vikings, which made retaining him not possible.

OL moves = B+ to A-

Defensive Line / DTs

I had identified adding a beast DT run stopper and or DT pass rushing stud to the team either via the draft or free agency. I had hoped they would do so either by drafting DT Phil Taylor or signing Brandon Meban via free agency.

They added DT Drake Nevis via the third round of the draft and many pundits are calling this one of THE draft steals! His performance in preseason is making such look like the truth. Also, they added Tommy Harris via free agency, and he too was looking like a stroke of genius, right up until he was surprisingly cut. He was looking very promising, but was set back by minor injury and was reportedly let go due to issues other than his performance. I was disappointed in Harris being cut, as I figured that between he and Nevis, added to an improving Moala and a healthy Antonio Johnson, would mean the Colts would be beastly at DT and down right scary on the DL as a whole!

As another thread has already theorized, though, perhaps the uber promising stature of Drake Nevis simply made Tommy Harris redundant. Thus, with Nevis added to the mix, the DT position is completely solidified and imposing.

At DE, having Pro Bowl bookends Freeny and Mathis means the rush on the outside is unmatched, in my humble opinion. With Hughes as a back up, they are set. And for the record, all these people that call Hughes a bust, in my humble opinion, don't knwo what they are talking about. How can a guy that cannot see the field in his first year because of two Pro Bowlers in front of him possibly be a bust!? I think Hughes will be a stud, but that will not show until either Mathis or Freeny decline and or have their roles reduced.

Adding via free agency Jamaal Anderson and then Tyler Brayton add intriguing depth and potential. Especially the addition of Anderson, whom may also be used in a DT role if needed. I was disappointed that John Chick couldn't stick, but that is a reflection of the Colts premier depth at the DE position.

The key to their DL success hinges on health, the continued development of Moala, and Nevis showing in the regular season what he has flashed in the preseason.

DL moves = A. If Harris had stuck and panned out, it would have been an A+

Linebackers

I thought it important to keep Session, but again, he was priced out of being feasible. His loss cannot be put on Colts management. Luckily, the Colts may have actually improved via the free agency acquisition of Ernie Sims. Sadly,Sims was set back due to having to have an emergency apendectomy, but by mid season, I think he will prove to be an upgrade over Session.

If Sims pans out and Conner and Angerer continue to improve ... and with health to all, the linebacking core should be much improved. Especially so if the DL become much more stout against in run defense.

LB Grade = B ... the corps may end up being significantly better than last year!

Secondary

I had hoped that Bob Sanders would be retained under the terms of a much fairer, reduced contract, thereby providing the hope of immense upgrade, if only he could stay healthy. Losing him was a disappointment, but not a loss that impacts negatively, as he has been a non factor for what, three years now? The upside loss of him disappoints, nevertheless.

After losing Sanders and given Bullitt's questions because of his season ending injury made adding depth at safety an imperative. Accordingly, I had hoped the Colts would get Joe Lefreged in the draft between the 4th and 5th round. To get him as an UDFA is a stroke of brilliant luck! He has showed well and may be the next great Colts UDFA find. Health alone should make the Colts much better at safety and with Lefreged and David Caldwell, the Colts look reasonably deep with potential. The real key is for Bullitt to stay healthy and step up, or for Lefreged to emerge as a diamond in the rough. Sans the Sanders upside, the Colts are deeper at safety this year compared to last.

At cornerback, I was disappointed in losing Kelvin Hayden, as I think he was a very sold corner ... when healthy. He has been an injury liability for the last two years, though, so perhaps no impactful loss here, really.

Powers will be a stud, IF he can stay healthy. On the other side, questions remain with Jacob Lacey, but I really do not believe he is as bad as so many posters purport. He was all rookie in his first year and he struggled in his 2nd year. Hopefully he will step it up in his 3rd year. Waiting in the wings, though, the Colts look deep with potential in Kevin Thomas, rookie Chris Rucker, and 2010 surprise Justin Tryon. I look for Thomas to emerge as our number two CB by season's end. CB is a question mark, but there is depth and potential.

Secondary Grade = B-

Receivers

Do nothing, get healthy! That's all the Colts needed to do to be much improved in 2011. Add an improved Garcon, and the receiving corps could be beastly good!

Collie remains a question mark due to being injured up during training camp. He HAS to get healthy for the Colts receiving crew to be premier. A healthy Anthony Gonzolaz added to the mix could make the Colts receivers downright unstoppable. Sadly, he remains a HUGE injury question mark. If he cannot get on the field and contribute, it will be a huge disappointment. With Blair White also being a preseason casualty so far, there are big questions at receiver heading into the regular season, but I do not fault Colts management at all here, so far. I think going with who they have is / was the way to go. Hopefully the injury bug is going to be limited to preseason and all will get and remain healthy and Garcon will cure the easy catch dropsies. If so, the Colts are great at receiver. If not, then management is going to have to step in and make some moves to shore things up.

At TE, the Colts needed to do nothing, other than get and stay healthy. Much like at the other receiving positions. A healthy Clark, an improve via experience Jacob Tamme and a healthy Brody Eldridge means the Colts should be set at TE.

Receiver Grade = C ... there was nothing they needed to do here but pray for health. When healthy, the receiving corp as a group is arguably the NFL's best.

Runningbacks

Misison one, sign Addai and have him stay healthy. Mission two, have Donald Brown stay healthy and then hope that he continues to develop his pass blocking and have him show the running skill he has only so far flashed. For the record, I am not as down on Brown as so many here at the forums. I do recognize that this is a make or break year for him, in fulfilling the expectation of where he was drafted. Key here, though, is the OL improving its run blocking. With the lack of run blocking over the past two years, it is hard to fault the RBs for lack of production. Barry Sanders would have looked average on this team with the run blocking of the last two years. Scheme, or lack of RB scheme, should not be discounted either.

Drafting of RB Delone Carter looks to be a real potential upgrade. The Colts have a solid three in Addai, Brown, and Carter. Darren Evans looks to add more quality depth. And now the Colts have reportedly added a fullback to the mix?

The key to the RB position is health and improved OL run blocking and a better running scheme. Depth looks better to me as compared to last year.

Runngback grade = C+

Quarterback

Success starts and ends with Manning. It was looking to be too early to go for Manning's eventual replacement, so no bad move in not drafting a viable prospect.

I am not at all a fan of Painter, so perhaps a little disappointing that nobody was brought in from the beginning to seriously challenge him.

But now, terror! Manning is now a health question mark. omg!

Signing Kerry Collins is a good move. It should have come sooner, maybe, though. Hopefully he is a fast learner and can be effective.

Ultimately, the Colts` fortunes ride on Peyton Manning and there was no reason to suspect he would be such a question mark. Management might be faulted, though, for not bringing in a real starter quality backup, sooner, though not doing so hasn`t been a problem for the last decade.

QB Grade = C-

Over all, I think the Colts have done a good job in the offseason of shoring up the positions that needed attention. They could have maybe done a little bit more, but from where I am sitting, they have done really well.

Health is all that is holding this team back from being serious Super Bowl contenders. With the questions now surrounding Manning, there is a lot of negativity out there, but seriously, from an offseason perspective, I think the Colts have done extremely well.

Now, on to the regular season to see if all these moves pan out!

Your thoughts and evaluations are welcome!

Interesting evaluation, IMO I like the RB position this year more than I have for awhile. Delone has great potential, especially for short yard & goaline situation while Darren Evans has potential to he a very solid rushing/catch RB. We'll see how they fair, not to big on DB. Addai will be solid overall as usual, I hope. 

Interesing about Avery though, guy seems like he's pretty solid!

overall i like what chris and bill done so far

bring in guys who fits our shceme

we should have sign larry allen or brain walter but do to their lack of pass blocking colts would pass just a thought

but this was a good off season

i like what im seeing from the d line

the line backers look to be better with

sims brackett angerer an conner even wheeler looked good in the joker rushing the qb

i would like to see the line backers look like this

mike- brackett, angerer brackett great tackler

sam- wheeler, angerer wheeler better athlete than angerer and can rush qb

will- sims, conner sims can cover more ground and hit kind of like session

and why is our line backers first steps backwords instead of forward

what if we had session and sims that would be nice

but any way secondary

is my main concern

beatha might be slowed first couple games hammy

bullitt looks lost and timid at time as if hes not trying to get hurt see if it changes when games matter

powers should be fine

lacey is not that bad but he seems to struggle against bigger guys and give to much cushion

i like what i see from k.thomas jams well at the line and can tackle well

rucker reminds me of the m.jackson k.heyden mold

solid offseason

remember one blair white drop away from beating jets

with no wideout and reggie being blanketed by revis