Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Our O-Line Got Bigger Just At The Right Time!

TubaGuy

I think our offensive line getting bigger happened at just the right time. With Diem moving inside to the guard position, it bulks up the right side of the line. If Peyton does end up missing time, whether it's one game or multiple games, I think that means we will rely more on grind-em-out, smash-mouth, 3-yards-and-a-cloud-of-dust kind of games. That also plays into the strength of our rookie left tackle. He has always done well at run blocking, but the knock on him was that he would be protecting Peyton's blind side from game 1 with only 4 weeks of camp. Well, if we do switch more of our gameplan to a more run-oriented kind of offense, even temporarily, I think it gives him more time to develop his pass-blocking skills. In a weird sort of way, this could actually play into the Colts hands a bit. Addai seems to have the fire in his belly again, Carter is a "down hill" kind of runner, and now we pick up a fullback. Honestly, don't put of the "L's" in the loss column too quickly here. This could actually end up making us a more well-rounded team, especially as we head deeper into the season and Peyton gets back.

I think our offensive line getting bigger happened at just the right time. With Diem moving inside to the guard position, it bulks up the right side of the line. If Peyton does end up missing time, whether it's one game or multiple games, I think that means we will rely more on grind-em-out, smash-mouth, 3-yards-and-a-cloud-of-dust kind of games. That also plays into the strength of our rookie left tackle. He has always done well at run blocking, but the knock on him was that he would be protecting Peyton's blind side from game 1 with only 4 weeks of camp. Well, if we do switch more of our gameplan to a more run-oriented kind of offense, even temporarily, I think it gives him more time to develop his pass-blocking skills. In a weird sort of way, this could actually play into the Colts hands a bit. Addai seems to have the fire in his belly again, Carter is a "down hill" kind of runner, and now we pick up a fullback. Honestly, don't put of the "L's" in the loss column too quickly here. This could actually end up making us a more well-rounded team, especially as we head deeper into the season and Peyton gets back.

This only means one thing... a mid-season return of the play-action stretch! Just replace Edge/Marvin with an Addai/Wayne/Garcon/Clark/Collie scenario! Make them fear the run and watch the TD's soar. Season could be quite the suprise.

The line looks improved. But I'm still haunted by how the Bengals made our entire line look like they were 5lbs.

Pass blocking requires knowing the guy next to you, what you can count on him to do, etc. That takes time, no matter how much talent. Run blocking is pretty much knowing your assignment and doing it. I'm probably not being real clear, but basically I'm saying it's going to take a few weeks to find out how good the line really is (or isn't).

I do love our potential.

Pass blocking requires knowing the guy next to you, what you can count on him to do, etc. That takes time, no matter how much talent. Run blocking is pretty much knowing your assignment and doing it. I'm probably not being real clear, but basically I'm saying it's going to take a few weeks to find out how good the line really is (or isn't).

I do love our potential.

Exactly