Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

So, is it over for Alex Smith in SF?

Jules

Have not seen it covered here, but it seems like Smith might be riding the bench now.

No secret Harbaugh probably didn't have as much faith in him as he let on. He flirted with Peyton pretty heavily in the offseason.

The only thing you have to hope for, for the 49ers sake is that it actually works out. We are basing things on one game here too.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It could seriously backfire and cost some there job in my opinion or respect in the locker room, Jim certainly has a big pair of you know whats to do this I think, I mean Im not sure he can go back to Smith if Kaepernic fizzles out, which I bet he will once teams begin to have enough tape to game plan for him. Smith was not close to elite but he was getting much better. I dont see this ending well even if the success lasts for a little while

It could seriously backfire and cost some there job in my opinion or respect in the locker room, Jim certainly has a big pair of you know whats to do this I think, I mean Im not sure he can go back to Smith if Kaepernic fizzles out, which I bet he will once teams begin to have enough tape to game plan for him. Smith was not close to elite but he was getting much better. I dont see this ending well even if the success lasts for a little while

Not sure what I think. I do like Kaep and he was great vs. the Bears D. But, the Bears likely didn't prepare for him anyway. We all thought Smith was playing, or I did until that night.

Also I was a bit suprised since Smith had such a good game vs. NO last year. And now they head to New Orleans who is starting to look like New Orleans again.

It might work out but it might not. I really don't know. But, it is creating a QB controversy with fans this year. Smith has been pretty good this year hasn't he?

I do like SF and do hope it ends well for them. But, at the same time not every team is going to get the "2001 Pats Cinderella" story either with Brady 2.0. Bledsoe got seriously hurt and the Pats won what 4 or 5 games the year before?

I don't see this backfiring at all. This reminds me of the 2000 Baltimore Ravens under game manager QB Trent Dilfer. The defense was carrying the bulk of the scoring load that year & the defense knew that it had to generate turnovers, keep their opponent out of the endzone, & win pretty much all by themselves. Yes TE Shannon Sharpe was a vital piece in that machine & Dilfer did just enough to generate a small lead while the defense secured the overall victory. My point is the defense of the 49ers is sick & tired of have so much responsibility on their shoulders to secure game wins under Smith vs Kaepernic who seems superior to Smith in pose, pocket awareness, throwing ability, athletic ability, and touch on the ball. Defensive players know that this young gun has the it factor & can win right now. Think Russell Wilson starting Seattle Seahawks QB.

The 49er defensive doesn't have to do everything flawlessly to win each & every week IMO. Alex Smith is done in San Fran permanently in the NFL as a starter plain & simple.

Alex Smith will be the starter. This is the result of immediate media hype. The media started stirring the pot within seconds after the game. Alex Smith has very strong numbers this season....no way he gets benched for a one-hit-wonder rookie.

hes a second year player not a rookie

I don't see this backfiring at all. This reminds me of the 2000 Baltimore Ravens under game manager QB Trent Dilfer. The defense was carrying the bulk of the scoring load that year & the defense knew that it had to generate turnovers, keep their opponent out of the endzone, & win pretty much all by themselves. Yes TE Shannon Sharpe was a vital piece in that machine & Dilfer did just enough to generate a small lead while the defense secured the overall victory. My point is the defense of the 49ers is sick & tired of have so much responsibility on their shoulders to secure game wins under Smith vs Kaepernic who seems superior to Smith in pose, pocket awareness, throwing ability, athletic ability, and touch on the ball. Defensive players know that this young gun has the it factor & can win right now. Think Russell Wilson starting Seattle Seahawks QB.

The 49er defensive doesn't have to do everything flawlessly to win each & every week IMO. Alex Smith is done in San Fran permanently in the NFL as a starter plain & simple.

I thought of Ravens too, and how they thought the green grass of Elvis Grbac was the dynamic saving grace they needed at QB and dumped Dilfer. How did that work out for them? Some Jeff Blake's, Anthony Wright's, and Kyle Boller's later, they now have Joe Flacco. But no rings since Dilfer 'managed' to help them get one.

It will be interesting to see when D coordinators get a good whiff of what O Kaep and Harbaugh will use and scheme to stop it. Then it might be back to Dilfer 2.0. If it isn't too late like it was for the Ravens once they decided to move forward.

But Harbaugh already admitted he'd go with the hot hand. What if they both go dud at the same time? ;)

oh...yeah. One time starter it is then.

Either way, making a move here would be foolish.

Ruksak, I respect you & I will readily admit that for me this move is designed more on chemistry & emotion vs reason & logic. I have seen all I need to see on Smith; He's never going to lead the 49ers to the Lombardi Promiseland. He just doesn't have it. Sorry. I ride with Kaepernic. The only move left.

Ruksak, I respect you & I will readily admit that for me this move is designed more on chemistry & emotion vs reason & logic. I have seen all I need to see on Smith; He's never going to lead the 49ers to the Lombardi Promiseland. He just doesn't have it. Sorry. I ride with Kaepernic. The only move left.

Smith has been victimized by regime change after regime change, new coordinators every other season, new HC's and he was seemingly placed behind the drivers wheel of a vehicle that was comprised of faulty, interchanged parts.

Only when stability was added to the mix did we see him shine, and shine he has. Taking his team late into the 4th quarter of last years NFC championship game, only to watch it be fumbled away by a special teams return man.

Kaepernic looked great. I was very impressed, don't get me wrong. But moving Smith out of the drivers seat again creates instability and I would bet my right hand the whole show would tumble down after making that move. They do that and they might as well cancel any post-season success hopes for 2012.

He almost did last season didn't he? Two costly fumbles by the 49ers was the difference and Alex was in no way at fault for that. Both defenses played lights out.

He almost did last season didn't he? Two costly fumbles by the 49ers was the difference and Alex was in no way at fault for that. Both defenses played lights out.

I can't argue with 1 word you said Snowglobe. He almost got them to the Promiseland, but like I always say close only counts in horseshoes, hand grenades, & nuclear weapons firing. No one gets a blue ribbon for 2nd or 3rd place. I can feel success with Kaepernic. If I crash & burn, I crash & burn. No guts no glory baby. I like bold moves myself not stupid moves like Rex Ryan still rolling with Sanchez though. There's being bold & there's going right off the cliff to 1's death & demise.

P.S. Tom Brady & your Patriots look bleeping great right now SG! :flyingelvis::worthy::thmup:

Smith has been victimized by regime change after regime change, new coordinators every other season, new HC's and he was seemingly placed behind the drivers wheel of a vehicle that was comprised of faulty, interchanged parts.

Only when stability was added to the mix did we see him shine, and shine he has. Taking his team late into the 4th quarter of last years NFC championship game, only to watch it be fumbled away by a special teams return man.

Kaepernic looked great. I was very impressed, don't get me wrong. But moving Smith out of the drivers seat again creates instability and I would bet my right hand the whole show would tumble down after making that move. They do that and they might as well cancel any post-season success hopes for 2012.

You make several cogent points that are irrefutable my friend. Smith has undergone a number of offensive coordinators/coaches and, to be fair to Smith, you are 100% correct he doesn't play on Special Teams; Smith never lost the actual game. But, I always think back to Rams QB Kurt Warner in 1999. He took the QB job after Trent Green went down with an injury & he never let it go or loosened his reins on the field general position either.

Stability is a valid argument ruksak for Smith, but sometimes you catch lightning in a bottle a la Tom Brady, Kurt Warner, & Kaepernic IMO. Again, if I'm wrong here, I'll be the 1st to admit it. Nice chatting with you as always ruksak. :thmup:

Plus, injuries to starting players always= opportunity. If you win games with the new QB, the team says Smith who? Yeah, we can win with this guy. Let's roll!

Yes, there is the flip side to the argument I know. What if Kaepernic has a miserable game? A valid point...However, where the Hades is Alex Smith gonna go? His best deal and situation is in San Francisco and everybody knows it. Jim Harbaugh will win a SB eventually. Just shut up Smith, do what Jim tells Ya, and you'll get a precious SB ring as a backup IMO. Remember both HOF QB's Dan Marino and Jim Kelly would kill for a ring themselves any way they could get 1 too IMHO. Winning the Lombardi Trophy trumps everything even personal pride.

I feel bad for Smith. An example of how organizational instability can sabotage a potentially good (great?) QB.

I don't know if I would refer to Alex Smith losing his starting QB job as "sabotage" myself. Alex Smith has been given plenty of time in this league to validate his worth. He hasn't done that IMHO. I don't feel sorry for Alex Smith at all personally. Smith dink and dunks; He can't throw the ball consistently downfield like Colin Kaepernick can. This league is all about momentum and production...Smith gives you neither of those vital field general components in my estimation. Bye Alex. Have fun holding a clipboard on the sidelines and listening to plays on your headset.

I don't know if I would refer to Alex Smith losing his starting QB job as "sabotage" myself. Alex Smith has been given plenty of time in this league to validate his worth. He hasn't done that IMHO. I don't feel sorry for Alex Smith at all personally. Smith dink and dunks; He can't throw the ball consistently downfield like Colin Kaepernick can. This league is all about momentum and production...Smith gives you neither of those vital field general components in my estimation. Bye Alex. Have fun holding a clipboard on the sidelines and listening to plays on your headset.

I think he meant the instability before thew Harbaugh era. He never had a chance to establish himself and once again he's going to go into this off season uncertain about his future. He's getting paid too much to be a back up and is most likely going to be released this off season.

I expect him to end up in Kansas next season just like Trent Green, who you mentioned in an earlier post. Starting caliber QBs are always needed and there are plenty of teams that have question marks at the position. He still has the potential to be a starter in this league.

I agree with the premise of producing or losing your job, but I do feel that Smith has been behind the 8-ball since he came into the league. He could have very well developed into a different QB than what you see now given different initial circumstances. I can think of a lot of names that may have done better under in situations. However its all speculation and there is no way to prove or disprove any of it. Just how I feel.

I agree with the premise of producing or losing your job, but I do feel that Smith has been behind the 8-ball since he came into the league. He could have very well developed into a different QB than what you see now given different initial circumstances. I can think of a lot of names that may have done better under in situations. However its all speculation and there is no way to prove or disprove any of it. Just how I feel.

I can appreciate your perspective stat2883 and I would never condemn a person for articulating their true beliefs. Okay sure, Alex Smith went through a variety of OC & HC's & it is hard to learn & develop continuity through such frequent staff turnover & change. I wish Mr. Smith no ill will whatsoever, but unless he is willing to become a permanent NFL backup, I fear that his starting QB days are done now. As long as Colin Kaepernick continues to win & his team mates believe they are never out of any game, I think a person can reasonably predict Alex Smith's subsequent field general fate. It doesn't look good for Alex. Sorry man. It looks like you drew the short straw buddy. Man, the NFL can be brutal...Don't forget Coach Harbaugh can't make this move without the consent/approval of his captains in the locker room either. His men obviously want this QB change to take place IMO.

Kaepernick can avoid sacks really well, see todays game. He avoided at least 4-5 sacks easily and made plays, now if that was Alex Smith then those plays would definitely not have had happened.

Kaepernick is a dual threat, he can run, he can play action pass like no other and the most important of all, he can extend plays and be smart about it unlike Michael Vick or Ben Roethlisberger.

I think he meant the instability before thew Harbaugh era. He never had a chance to establish himself and once again he's going to go into this off season uncertain about his future. He's getting paid too much to be a back up and is most likely going to be released this off season.

I expect him to end up in Kansas next season just like Trent Green, who you mentioned in an earlier post. Starting caliber QBs are always needed and there are plenty of teams that have question marks at the position. He still has the potential to be a starter in this league.

Even when Jim Harbaugh landed in San Francisco, Alex Smith seemed to have incredible difficulty throwing the ball effectively downfield. Look at last years NFC Championship Game vs the NY Giants...Smith failed to connect with an WR or TE consistently in the 2nd half of that game. Don't blame it on a lack of talent either. Tom Brady in 2001 & 2004 won SB's with a ton of no WR & TE's or average talent. If you are any good at QB, you rise above adversity & find a way to win IMO.

Life in the NFL means injuries, pay cuts, & frequent city relocations. It happens all the time to every other player and position in the NFL; Quarterbacks are way to coddled & pampered in this league IMO. :facepalm: Suck it up quarterbacks & stop being so sheltered, shielded, and so distraught okay...Do you want a cookie, a glass of cold milk, & a nice bedtime story too? haha

Kaepernick can avoid sacks really well, see todays game. He avoided at least 4-5 sacks easily and made plays, now if that was Alex Smith then those plays would definitely not have had happened.

Kaepernick is a dual threat, he can run, he can play action pass like no other and the most important of all, he can extend plays and be smart about it unlike Michael Vick or Ben Roethlisberger.

I watched the Niners beat the living daylights out of us for years as a kid, and watching him avoid those sacks was flashing those memories back to me of Steve Young shaking off 2 defensive ends, and then slinging it to Rice or Watters.

The kid is good, and I'm glad I am not the only one that noticed him avoiding sacks.

I fear that his starting QB days are done now. As long as Colin Kaepernick continues to win & his team mates believe they are never out of any game, I think a person can reasonably predict Alex Smith's subsequent field general fate. It doesn't look good for Alex. Sorry man. It looks like you drew the short straw buddy. Man, the NFL can be brutal.

yeah, I don't necessarily disagree with anything here, just unfortunate how it all had to play out for Smith.