Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

We Suck Again!

Guest BlueShoe

Well I am sure if we could we would. I am sure the Colts are always looking to upgrade the team if they can regardless of who the QB is. There were a lot of reports on Saturday we were really going after Merriwether for example. He opted to sign with the Bears over us. I am sure if there is a player out there the Colts feel like will help either side of the ball they are going to go get him if they can.

I do think we have upgraded the defense though. Simms will help at linebacker and I think Anderson and Brayton are going to help our run defense up front. I also think our DT have just progressed and are frankly the best group of DTs we've had in years. I also think even though we lost Sanders we upgraded the safety poistion with Caldwell and Lefeged. We have some depth there which is something we haven't had for a few years.

What I would like to see them do is take a few more chances on D like Coyer did his first year here and not play the Ron Meeks style of defense we played last year.

Yeah, I do like our d-line, but the backfield REALLY worries me - not enough talent or depth. And as you said, we're not aggressive enough. But I do think the style will be more like Coyer's first year. We just didn't have enough consistency at any position to be aggressive last year b/c of injuries.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

would everyone quit it with the gloom and doom. the colts have taken the necessary precautions to deal with life without peyton. we got bigger on the o-line, we have a veteran qb, and we have a much better defense with the additions from FA and draft. its not like peyton is gone for the whole season. if he misses a couple of games that fine. we are still in prime position to win games

It's not doom and gloom, there were serious q-marks about the O-line and D backfield BEFORE the uncertainty at QB! That puts us over the edge with worry as fans. I DO think the team will rally around Collins and really show up for the first few games. But does anybody really think our chances at a SB are good if we lose him for the whole season? The timing of him being out this year sucks for those of us who were wishing/hoping/praying for a superbowl in Indy!

You know, every week in the NFL 11-15 teams win their games with QB other than Peyton. The Colts have done as good a job as any (and better than most teams) fielding talented players.

Wayne will still get open and catch the ball when it's thrown, Collie will still get open and catch the ball when thrown, Gonzo will still get open and catch the ball when thrown, Garcon will still run the 9 and usually catch the ball when thrown. Clark will still cause mismatches for every team.

There are some questions about the oline but those questions were there as soon as they did not re-sign CJ. Plus the acquisition of Gronkowski, I think, shows the Colts are planning to run a different type of offense with Collins or Painter than they would with Manning.

So, I think it's rather insulting to Freeney, Mathis, Bethea, Brackett, Clark, Wayne, Collie, Saturday, Diem, AC, Moala, etc. to say they are on the same level as the worst teams in the NFL.

Coffee that's a +1 because you always come up with a good post and one that makes sense. No one wanted to see Manning miss any time and he didn't want to either but sometimes things are out of our control and his. I know a lot will say why didn't he have his surgery earlier but surgery is usually the last option and maybe he tried everything else before going under the knife. I know most people try everything before surgery especially on your neck or back. I'm hoping that when he comes back he's 100% as to not have a chance of an career ending hit. JMO of course.

Guest BlueShoe

Yeah and they could have won 11 to 12 games last year and won 6. The table is clearly set for the Texans for it was also set after week one last year and they went 5-10 after that. In fact after starting 2-0 they went 4-10 the rest of the way including just 2-8 in their last 10 games. Like I said the Texans have yet to prove they can get over the hump so let's see what happens.

I think most Colts fans are overlooking just how big of an immediate impact that Wade Phillips is going to make for the Texans. Dudes a great defensive coordinator.

I think most Colts fans are overlooking just how big of an immediate impact that Wade Phillips is going to make for the Texans. Dudes a great defensive coordinator.

Yes he is but I don't think you switch from a 4-3 to a 3-4 in one year without showing some effects. Also aren't the Texans also going to be out their star running back for the first couple of weeks? Cleary they still have a star QB and WR so they can score points like we have been able to do without a running game. Still I am not just handing them the division till I see them earn it on the field.

Frankly I liked what I heard Caldwell say today:

"My job is to get this team ready to play and win the game and if we don't win the game there is a problem."

The expectation is still there with the team. They know they have other good players on this team and I think you are going to see those guys fired up on Sunday because they are going to be sick of hearing that they don't have a chance without Manning. Will it be enough to win the game? I don't know that's why they play the game. Like I said let's just see what happens.

Guest BlueShoe

Yes he is but I don't think you switch from a 4-3 to a 3-4 in one year without showing some effects. Also aren't the Texans also going to be out their star running back for the first couple of weeks? Cleary they still have a star QB and WR so they can score points like we have been able to do without a running game. Still I am not just handing them the division till I see them earn it on the field.

Frankly I liked what I heard Caldwell say today:

"My job is to get this team ready to play and win the game and if we don't win the game there is a problem."

The expectation is still there with the team. They know they have other good players on this team and I think you are going to see those guys fired up on Sunday because they are going to be sick of hearing that they don't have a chance without Manning. Will it be enough to win the game? I don't know that's why they play the game. Like I said let's just see what happens.

The Broncos had early success doing it a few years ago and did very little in the draft.

This is Wade Phillips and they used the draft for this move.

They are for real this year.

I would rather go 3-13 and have a shot at the #1 pick, then to go something like 8-8 and miss playoffs anyway; and if the season gets to that point we may as well throw Painter in and see what he can truly do(or not do), and give Hughes and the rookies as much playing time as possible and get them better for next season.

Wow man. I mean I want to always stay optimistic, and I will root this team with all of my will, but you can't tell me that expectations are even in the same playing field as they were in.

Nope. my expectations with Manning were 14-2 or better. My expectation with Collins is 10-6 maybe 11-5.
This is a huge blow and because he will miss one game, he will likely miss more now and who knows where this ends? But it's not good. Brace yourself. I think you're a great fan and I love talking with you, but let's don't play the game of "fronting support" here. Just be real about it.
I have never understood, why is pessimism being real and optimism not being real?
We might be favored in 3 games this year and they will be the ones I have pointed out.

Who cares about how many or which games the Colts are favored? Colts have not been favored many times and won the games and they have been favored many times and not won.

There is a reason for that. We have a few great players, but we mostly have good role players on this team.

Wow, you just described 30 teams in the NFL. The other two are missing the few great players.

Guest BlueShoe

Nope. my expectations with Manning were 14-2 or better. My expectation with Collins is 10-6 maybe 11-5.

I have never understood, why is pessimism being real and optimism not being real?

Who cares about how many or which games the Colts are favored? Colts have not been favored many times and won the games and they have been favored many times and not won. Wow, you just described 30 teams in the NFL. The other two are missing the few great players.

Don't get wrong, you're a real fan to me even if you think we will go 16-0. I know you are a dedicated Colts fan. I just don't want you to get the wrong idea of me just because I think we are in for a rough road here. Two different opinion of two great Colts fans. ;)

Without Peyton you think we will win 10-11. Without Peyton I think we could lose 13. Being in the winners bracket is going to make life tough for us, in my opinion.

The Broncos had early success doing it a few years ago and did very little in the draft.

This is Wade Phillips and they used the draft for this move.

They are for real this year.

Again, you might be right but till they back it up on the field I am not handing them anything.

Also that early success you are talking for the Broncos do you mean the switch in 2009? They went 8-8 that year and were 26th in the NFL in total defense.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/team/_/stat/total/position/defense/year/2009

The following year they got their coach fired. If that's success I am not worried about the Texans at all.

Again I agree Phillips is a very good coach but I don't think you change a defense over night. I look no further than ours. We were one of the worst defense I have ever seen in 2001. Dungy came in in 2002 and while they got better (andn I expect the Texans to get better) it took till probably 2003 or 2004 before I would say our defense was at least respectable.

Like I keep saying the Texans have to prove they are for real before they are. They were supposed to be for real the past two years and it's yet to happen. I am not saying you'll be wrong, you could very well end up being right but I am just saying let's see what happens on the field before we just give up hope, is that too much to ask?

Don't get wrong, you're a real fan to me even if you think we will go 16-0. I know you are a dedicated Colts fan. I just don't want you to get the wrong idea of me just because I think we are in for a rough road here. Two different opinion of two great Colts fans. ;)

Without Peyton you think we will win 10-11. Without Peyton I think we could lose 13. Being in the winners bracket is going to make life tough for us, in my opinion.

Don't worry my impression of you has not changed.

I think a lot of people are selling Kerry Collins short. He happens to be a very experienced and talented QB. Sure he's older but he gives a us pretty good shot of competing IMO. Im more worried about the pass defense than I am whether or not Collins can move the offense. If our CB's learn how to defend a pass before this weekend then I feel pretty good about our chances till Manning comes back.

I think a lot of people are selling Kerry Collins short. He happens to be a very experienced and talented QB. Sure he's older but he gives a us pretty good shot of competing IMO. Im more worried about the pass defense than I am whether or not Collins can move the offense. If our CB's learn how to defend a pass before this weekend then I feel pretty good about our chances till Manning comes back.

Yep I honestly think we went from the worst back up QB situation in the NFL to the best with Collins. He'd be a starter on some teams.

Threadsucks.jpg

well lets try to make chicken salad out of chicken crap.

i have always wondered how important Peyton was to the Colts, now i guess i get to see. I have maintained that Peyton is the most important player that any team in the modern NFL has ever had. How many other teams have actually built their defense around their QB?

I am sitting here actually debating on cancelling my subscription to the Sunday ticket, that would save me some cash.

the Colts are getting top billing with the national media all the sudden, nevermind i give up:(

Pretty painful to watch all of this go down. If Peyton is out for an extended period of time then our chances of making the playoffs are slim to none, but the good news is we can get a head start on the draft.

Before my homerism kicks in and I start believing we can actually win every game, I want to have an objective view - If the bad years taught me anything it is that I will try to "reason and argue" why we can win every game even with the 1991 Colts (which I did).

I have a bad feeling that Peyton might not play all season. I hope I am wrong. If it is what's needed then we should just put him on IR so he can heal the way he needs to.

I won't make a prediction with Peyton, but without him here you go:

Wk	Game	        Stadium	                Prediction
1 IND @ HOU Reliant Stadium LOSS
2 CLE @ IND Lucas Oil Stadium LOSS
3 PIT @ IND Lucas Oil Stadium LOSS
4 IND @ TB Raymond James Stadium LOSS
5 KC @ IND Lucas Oil Stadium LOSS
6 IND @ CIN Paul Brown Stadium WIN****
7 IND @ NO Superdome LOSS
8 IND @ TEN LP Field LOSS
9 ATL @ IND Lucas Oil Stadium LOSS
10 JAC @ IND Lucas Oil Stadium LOSS
12 CAR @ IND Lucas Oil Stadium WIN****
13 IND @ NE Gillette Stadium LOSS
14 IND @ BAL M&T Bank Stadium LOSS
15 TEN @ IND Lucas Oil Stadium WIN****
16 HOU @ IND Lucas Oil Stadium LOSS
17 IND @ JAC EverBank Field LOSS

On the bright side if we do lose Peyton for the season then we will have some great draft picks plus the world will finally see how important Peyton really is to our team. No way we win double digits without Peyton like the Pats did without Brady.

BLEEDING BLUE ALL THE WAY THROUGH!!!

GO COLTS!!!

:coltslogo:

Peyton Manning - Comeback Player of the Year in 2012!!!

Oh come on!

We win more games than that even with Painter starting. And NO, I'm not being a homer.

I'm hoping some of these "fair weather fans" move on.

Go root for the "dream team" Eagles and see how far that gets you.

This had to happen eventually. We've been VERY lucky it didn't happen before.

We (well, some of us) have been complaining for years that the Colts didn't have a "quality" back-up on the roster.

I blame management for not preparing for this sooner. And don't blame the lockout, we should have been prepared for this for years.

On the bright side, we'll finally get to see just how valuable Manning is to this team and how "good" he makes those around him look. If they are that good, or if Manning elevates their production.

I'm hoping the defense has a defense-only meeting and puts this on THEIR backs.

Its about time they do!

I can see us beating Cleveland, TB, and KC. Houston and Pitt will be difficult. But they would have been even WITH Manning.

Its just a bummer that this is OUR Super Bowl year (in Indy)

well lets try to make chicken salad out of chicken crap.

i have always wondered how important Peyton was to the Colts, now i guess i get to see. I have maintained that Peyton is the most important player that any team in the modern NFL has ever had. How many other teams have actually built their defense around their QB?

I am sitting here actually debating on cancelling my subscription to the Sunday ticket, that would save me some cash.

the Colts are getting top billing with the national media all the sudden, nevermind i give up:(

and people wonder why they get labeled band wagon fans...

Do what you have to do.

I want to point out something. First off, I don't believe Peyton will miss much time, if any. Secondly, if he does, we do have Collins. Everyone is very quick to count him out, but you do realize since the Colts started their run of dominating the AFC south only other team has one that division right? A Kerry Collins-led Tennessee Titans team. So we have the last two QB's to win our division on one team. And he has better WR's here. He didn't have anyone near the caliber of Reggie Wayne or Dallas Clark. Bairly even anyone who touches Garcon or Collie. We got this.

So does anyone think this will change what we have seen in the past with regard to the backup QB position?

I for one hope so. I hope they get and keep a GOOD backup for the remainder of Mannings career. Sure would be nice to have someone even near Collins' level that had been in the system for a year or more...

Do what you have to do.

Ridiculous. It just goes to show that some people are just Manning fans, not Colts fans. I've seen every play of every game since '89 and have been a fan since the early 70's. Manning or no Manning, I'll be screaming my head off at the TV week after week. Bandwagoners go away.

I want to point out something. First off, I don't believe Peyton will miss much time, if any. Secondly, if he does, we do have Collins. Everyone is very quick to count him out, but you do realize since the Colts started their run of dominating the AFC south only other team has one that division right? A Kerry Collins-led Tennessee Titans team. So we have the last two QB's to win our division on one team. And he has better WR's here. He didn't have anyone near the caliber of Reggie Wayne or Dallas Clark. Bairly even anyone who touches Garcon or Collie. We got this.

dont worry caldwell has changed the game plan our o line is going to blow holes you could drive a truck through we are now a running team with a home run from collins when they are looking for the run

Do what you have to do.

I was making light of a bad situation, and im trying to cheer myself up that is all. I have not missed a Colts game since i started watching them in the late 80's. I have seen 1-15 several 3-13 campaigns so if you want to label me a bandwaggoner that is fine i really dont care. i have been posting on this website since 1999 when i discovered what a message board is, my name was 1handclapping. I love the Colts I enjoy the Manning years most of all. You have no idea of my maniacal fanhood, i wont say i bleed blue because i cut myself today cutting up some ribs and it was still red blood, the 95 season meant as much to me as any in Indy Colts history, I love the Colts no matter what you believe i am a fan, fanboy, and a total homer!

I was making light of a bad situation, and im trying to cheer myself up that is all. I have not missed a Colts game since i started watching them in the late 80's. I have seen 1-15 several 3-13 campaigns so if you want to label me a bandwaggoner that is fine i really dont care. i have been posting on this website since 1999 when i discovered what a message board is, my name was 1handclapping. I love the Colts I enjoy the Manning years most of all. You have no idea of my maniacal fanhood, i wont say i bleed blue because i cut myself today cutting up some ribs and it was still red blood, the 95 season meant as much to me as any in Indy Colts history, I love the Colts no matter what you believe i am a fan, fanboy, and a total homer!

Piece of advice don't come in here and make your first post about giving up your season ticket because of Manning getting hurt then. Kinda gives off the wrong impression.

Guest BlueShoe

I'm hoping some of these "fair weather fans" move on.

I haven't missed a game since the Colts moved to Indiana. Every single game all the way to the very end of every one of them.

Be careful who you call a "fair weather" fan!

I am concerned and I don't think we have the team we need without Peyton to play this schedule that we have. I see three wins and that is just my opinion. I will root for us and want us to win everyone of them. In fact, in my pickem leagues I will even pick the Colts to win every game. But this is not a good situation.

It's not good. We will see if you are actually a fan if we do only win 3 games this season. Make no mistake about it - I won't miss a snap!

One positive result of all of this is that the Colts will be forced to find a running game. IMO, this was going to be a re-building year anyhow. We are re-building our O line and I would just as soon see another QB getting sacked until these rookies get a little experience under their pads.

The RB's the new sheriff (son of Bill Polian) has brought in tells me that the Colts have decided they need a running game instead of leaving winning up to PM and his patented right arm and the forward pass.

Guest BlueShoe

Ridiculous. It just goes to show that some people are just Manning fans, not Colts fans. I've seen every play of every game since '89 and have been a fan since the early 70's. Manning or no Manning, I'll be screaming my head off at the TV week after week. Bandwagoners go away.

You are kidding me right?

I have been a Colts fan since they moved here and never missed a snap. I don't think this is a good situation for us right now and just because I think so does not give you the right to call me or anyone else a bandwagon fan!

I am not calling you a bandwagon fan for having rose colored glasses on am I?

I will be fighting and screaming the whole way through as well, but expectations have changed. Without Peyton we have lost the most important player to any NFL team. That's a huge blow and you can think we will be okay all you want to. Just give people the same consideration who are bracing themselves for the worst here.

You are kidding me right?

I have been a Colts fan since they moved here and never missed a snap. I don't think this is a good situation for us right now and just because I think so does not give you the right to call me or anyone else a bandwagon fan!

I am not calling you a bandwagon fan for having rose colored glasses on am I?

I will be fighting and screaming the whole way through as well, but expectations have changed. Without Peyton we have lost the most important player to any NFL team. That's a huge blow and you can think we will be okay all you want to. Just give people the same consideration who are bracing themselves for the worst here.

I don't think that poster was talking about you...

They quoted me after I quoted someone who talked about canceling their Sunday ticket because Manning might not play to save some cash.

Piece of advice don't come in here and make your first post about giving up your season ticket because of Manning getting hurt then. Kinda gives off the wrong impression.

I have 2000+ posts i have lost under the name 1handclapping on the old forum, and i said Directv's NFL sunday ticket i live in scottsdale az and i cant go to any home games. I know the play of Paul Justin, Kirwin Bell, Jeff George, Jim Harbaugh, Don The Magic Man Mackowski etc. so dont judge me on one post on a brand new message board. I will not accept your know it all behavior, you'r a real fan am i a manning fan, pfft! you have no idea. Anyway i only get 3 posts per day so enjoy kicking dirt on me as i cannot reply til tommorrow. Good day sir i wish you could know how wrong you are, you would feel shame.

Hidden

I guess you mean piece, not peace. I have 2000+ posts i have lost under the name 1handclapping on the old forum, and i said Directv's NFL sunday ticket i live in scottsdale az and i cant go to any home games. I know the play of Paul Justin, Kirwin Bell, Jeff George, Jim Harbaugh, Don The Magic Man Mackowski etc. so dont judge me on one post on a brand new message board. I will not accept your know it all behavior, you'r a real fan am i a manning fan, pfft! you have no idea. Anyway i only get 3 posts per day so enjoy kicking dirt on me as i cannot reply til tommorrow. Good day sir i wish you could know how wrong you are, you would feel shame.

So now you are making fun of me having Dyslexia. You are doing a great job here...

Guest BlueShoe

I don't think that poster was talking about you...

They quoted me after I quoted someone who talked about canceling their Sunday ticket because Manning might not play to save some cash.

My bad then.

Thanks for pointing that out.

We are all very emotional about this right now and I apologize if I have offended anyone. This is what I feel and what I see. And we all have a right to that opinion without being labeled a bandwagon fan. I think we should all restrain from calling people "fair weather" fans. That's just not cool.

Thanks again GoColts8818.

dont worry caldwell has changed the game plan our o line is going to blow holes you could drive a truck through we are now a running team with a home run from collins when they are looking for the run

oh trust me I ain't worried. Ya see, I see alot of worry from the Colts fans here, but I trust our boys. I know that Peyton doesn't block, run, kick, catch, defend, and throw. I know that we got alot more game players on this team. This new line is going to clear some paths for Addai and Carter, and Collins is more than capable of delivering a good pass to the open guy. And just wanna point out, if that first ball in cincinatti game is for Pierre Garcon instead of Taj Smith, that's a TD. Garcon is quick enough he'd already had that guy burned. We are amazing with Peyton and Collins will never truely replace him, but I trust a Kerry collins led team to hold down the fort and keep the team in a place to succeed when Peyton does make the field.

My bad then.

Thanks for pointing that out.

We are all very emotional about this right now and I apologize if I have offended anyone. This is what I feel and what I see. And we all have a right to that opinion without being labeled a bandwagon fan. I think we should all restrain from calling people "fair weather" fans. That's just not cool.

Thanks again GoColts8818.

No biggie that's the main reason I pointed it out I think to say Colts fans are on edge today is an understatment so anything we can do to be cool with each other is good :).

No Kool-Aide drinking here, buddy.

Anyone who thinks we can compete with the better teams in the NFL without Peyton is drinking the Kool-Aide.

I've been here before when the Colts sucked. I can handle it. Question is, can you?

This team has ALOT more talent than the pre manning era.. So your argument holds no water

3-13 is overly optimistic. I say we win two games, tops. :)

Although Collins is certainly an upgrade from Painter, he's still going to get _BURIED_ behind our O-line. (If the line is not better than the last several seasons)

IFFFFFFFF (and it's a big if) we discover some semblance of a running game it will help Kerry out volumes. I'm not holding my breath on developing a reliable run game, though.

Then there is the defense, which MAY win us a game or two throughout the season. (See the Browns game a few years ago) However we still need to improve the run D. Bigtime.

It's sad when we're built to stop the pass, yet always give up 5-15 yards per pass thanks to ten yard receiver cushions. (Having Lacey be a Tim Jennings mold of bad doesn't help)

Then we have special teams. I don't need to elaborate here.

IF any combination of the above has improved AT ALL, I feel we'll win 6-8 games at best if Collins plays all 16. If nothing has really improved from overall D, offensive line, run game, special teams, I vote we win twice and that's it. 4 wins at best. This isn't even accounting for injuries to other stars like Freeney, Clark, and to a slightly less extent Collie and Wayne.

3-13 is overly optimistic. I say we win two games, tops. :)

Although Collins is certainly an upgrade from Painter, he's still going to get _BURIED_ behind our O-line. (If the line is not better than the last several seasons)

IFFFFFFFF (and it's a big if) we discover some semblance of a running game it will help Kerry out volumes. I'm not holding my breath on developing a reliable run game, though.

Then there is the defense, which MAY win us a game or two throughout the season. (See the Browns game a few years ago) However we still need to improve the run D. Bigtime.

It's sad when we're built to stop the pass, yet always give up 5-15 yards per pass thanks to ten yard receiver cushions. (Having Lacey be a Tim Jennings mold of bad doesn't help)

Then we have special teams. I don't need to elaborate here.

IF any combination of the above has improved AT ALL, I feel we'll win 6-8 games at best if Collins plays all 16. If nothing has really improved from overall D, offensive line, run game, special teams, I vote we win twice and that's it. 4 wins at best. This isn't even accounting for injuries to other stars like Freeney, Clark, and to a slightly less extent Collie and Wayne.

we will have a great running game with our new o line guys and new rbs. we are a running team now which will surprise everyone. collins knows how to work with a running team. we are going to the playoffs